• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2013 (Dec 09 - Dec 15)

Huh?

NSMB U would be at #5 on the total GCN list already and will easily outsell every single GCN game outside of Melee.

Not to mention Mario Kart and Smash coming next year.

Sorry I slipped into worldwide talk there. I think the Wii U will probably end up beating the GC in Japan as long as it has the same time on the market.
Metalslimer's recent stance on Wii u tends to be 100% negative pretty much no matter what

Well when talking sales, there is very little to be positive about.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sorry I slipped into worldwide talk there. I think the Wii U will probably end up beating the GC in Japan as long as it has the same time on the market.

Gotcha. Yeah the real problem is in the West.

and theres only one big game for wii u. imagine if mkart was out...if they released a mon hun built from the ground up for wii u, with X like graphics, that could be a huge system mover.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well it's going to have pretty much same franchises as the PS3. So like you said FF and KH and then Tales of, RE, MGS, Gundam, Yakuza etc.

RE is just assumed right? No announcement yet? Is Yakuza Isshin supposed to be the PS4 one? The problem is that I doubt most of those will release even in 2014. MGS has Ground Zeroes in 2014 b/c the full game won't release until 2015 or later. So I guess it's the equivalent of GT5: Prologue? I really doubt FF and KH are in 2014 as well. What exactly does that leave then?

GC passed the milion mark after 3 months due to the release of Smash Bros (December 2001)
Wii U took almost a year to reach that milestone

After 54 weeks :

GC - 1,577,738
WiiU - 1,320,094

Interesting about the GC passing the million mark in 3 months. That also means though that it slowed down quite a bit in the next 9 months right (577k)? That'd explain why the Wii U is even in the same range as the GC at this point.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Interesting about the GC passing the million mark in 3 months. That also means though that it slowed down quite a bit in the next 9 months right (577k)? That'd explain why the Wii U is even in the same range as the GC at this point.

It also had a different release pattern- it had its launch in the fall plus the holidays in those 3 months.

RE is just assumed right? No announcement yet? Is Yakuza Isshin supposed to be the PS4 one? The problem is that I doubt most of those will release even in 2014. MGS has Ground Zeroes in 2014 b/c the full game won't release until 2015 or later. So I guess it's the equivalent of GT5: Prologue? I really doubt FF and KH are in 2014 as well. What exactly does that leave then?

Well yeah. Where RE would go when majority of it sales come from the west? Next RE is going to be PS4/XBO title. But yeah in short term PS4 is going to probably have same problems as PS3 had in Japan (No games). In its lifetime though it's going to have pretty much same franchises as PS3 and so probably pretty similar sales. It really helps even in Japan that PS4 is going to sell well in the west. No matter how shitty its sales will be in Japan during its early phases it's still going to get those big franchises like FF, KH, MGS, RE etc. in time because those games sell majority of their sales in the west.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
It also had a different release pattern- it had its launch in the fall plus the holiday's in those 3 months.

Oh, so the GameCube only had only gone through one holiday season at that point? I see....

So if the Wii U were to be semi-competitive in Japan (on its way 5-6m LTD let's say), could Nintendo convince Japanese developers to release some titles at least in Japan? At least that way you could potentially end up w/ a bit of third party support in general for the console

NeonZ

You'll see a Zelda game selling well in Japan in a couple of weeks.

Do you think it'll do better than Minish Cap, the last 2d Zelda?

I really don't see where this expectation of high sales from a 2d Zelda came from... They haven't done particularly well ever since OoT's release. This isn't a Mario situation. We still got a few 2d games afterwards, and they failed to match the sales of the bigger 3d titles, even in Japan where Zelda sales in general have fallen. The 3d Zelda titles seem to have a sales problem in Japan, but going 2d isn't the answer.

I agree only in the sense that I think they can eke out something in Japan.

The problem is they have utterly failed in the larger, Western markets.

Nintendo still makes a significant amount of its profits in the overseas markets. Even with the current abysmal state of the Wii U overseas, Nintendo still made 65.7% of net sales overseas as of the 6 months ending September 30th, 2013.

Back when the overseas market was strong and Nintendo made a ton of profits (like FY3/2008 for example), Nintendo made 84.1% of revenue overseas.

While greater domestic success of the Wii U helps, it's ultimately still a minority in the overall picture of Nintendo's business. It's absolutely imperative for the Wii U to succeed overseas (USA + Europe) for Nintendo to reverse the course on its financial difficulties.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
What kind of January weekly sales would be considered like actually healthy for the Wii U btw?

30k a week? 20k? Anything above the 10k it was hovering around last year in Jan/Feb lol?

I say January b/c I don't think anything releases in January for the Wii U. February technically has 2 releases (Puyo Puyo and DKC).

saichi

All things considered, don´t you guys think Lightning Returns did well for itself? It´s almost 365-390k, it will end up selling at least 400k LTD. This isn´t that big of a drop in comparison to FFXIII-2 (didn´t it sell around 500 or 600k?). First week it opened at around 280k but it seems it has some legs.

XIII-2 sold 820K so LR would be selling about half of that. Anything over 35% would be considered a big drop.

Also, it ends up selling 400K which means its LT wouldn't even sell 50% more than its first week. It's actually very hard not to do that and wouldn't be considered having legs at all. A title needs to at least double its first week number before it would be considered a leggy title.

cafemomo

I wish we could have Hyrule Warriors numbers already. Excited that a Zelda game may sell well in Japan finally.

I don't think Legend of Musou will be selling well.....the colab is really odd choice by Nintendo.

Oh well, I'm sure Koei is happy they are getting some money.

RalchAC

WiiU and Vita bros just want to believe!

The Xbox One can't launch soon enough. That way WiiU and Vitabros will have a rest xD.

At least it's beating something lol?.... Actually considering Wii U sales are nowhere near the terrible PS3 sales in the same timeframe in the US, I'm somewhat surprised that it's this close in Japan. They are all terrible numbers to be sure, but it's somewhat interesting. What were the GameCube's numbers in the same time frame btw?

Also why isn't Namco willing make to make Tales multiplatform? I still think a Nintendo audience would generally appreciate a Tales game on their platform, and Namco will still get their original fanbase that way. I wonder if Nintendo could pay for a port and maybe even help out a bit. Plenty of their devs are getting Wii U development experience after all (Smash, Wii Sports Club, Taiko).

Well, the audience is in PlayStation platforms, they've probably done some market research. The only reason to make the game multiplatform could be to sell better in the West, and it probably isn't worth the time and money, either. If they aren't even making Tales of Zestiria a cross-gen title and releasing it in the PS4, which is the platform where their audience will probably migrate, they won't release it on the WiiU.

About the PS3/Vita/WiiU, it's surprising how decently the PS3 has managed to sell after an abysmal first year like. Still, with it's current strategy, I dunno if the WiiU/Vita could reach 10 million lifetime. I don't think Nintendo support can push the install base that far alone. And the co-op game strategy Sony is pushing with the Vita won't give sales boosts forever. The (kinda) small bump we got with God Eater 2 probably means we are near market saturation. Probably most hardcore hunting game fans already have a Vita (and a 3DS, I suppose). There is some people that bought GE2 and Toukiden for the PSP and they are a potential market when expansions / sequels are released, but SCEJ needs to push another genre next year.

Can someone post a PS3/Vita comparision to date? (I don't know how to put it. Align launches, if the Vita was released 105 weeks ago, compare PS3 and Vita sales during their respective first 105 weeks xD)

Exactly so it should be doing far better.

I can't disagree with your opinion.

casiopao

I don't think Legend of Musou will be selling well.....the colab is really odd choice by Nintendo.

Oh well, I'm sure Koei is happy they are getting some money.

I am not really sure there though. I think, this is Nintendo take on opening this franchise toward other gamer who would never ever touched the series here like me lol.

(Never like Zelda series but huge Musou fans. So, I guess these game is made for gamer like me?)

Cipherr

O_O Puzzle and Dragons was released for 3DS?

Yeah,

Weird how it wasnt cross platform with Vita. I mean its not exceptionally weird or anything, because Vita isn't doing all that well. But it would seem like something Sony could have convinced them to do.

cafemomo

I am not really sure there though. I think, this is Nintendo take on opening this franchise toward other gamer who would never ever touched the series here like me lol.

(Never like Zelda series but huge Musou fans. So, I guess these game is made for gamer like me?)

I'd play it if wang yi or cao cao is in it.

I doubt they will be in it tho

But it is nice that Nintendo is trying to introduce Musou to the LoZ crowd and vice versa. Hopefully it will pay out for both Nntendo and Koei, but I'm really skeptical.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This just shows the overreaction to Nintendo sales

Nintendo is not doomed and are fine, people seem to forget how badly GC and N64 got outsold by PS1 and PS2, Nintendo doesnt have to be in 1st place or right next to the top in console sales to survive, they just have to make money which they are making a lot of.
Are they? Looking at the last few reports, they were not making a lot of money, in fact, they always posted an opperational loss and only had a positive result because of exchange rates, which is not healthy at all. Wii U is eating their 3DS profits.

Famitsu Rankings: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 2 - Dec 8)

PS3 Top 10 (Dec 2 - Dec 8)

1./NEW [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 - 187,640 / NEW <40-60%>
2./1. [PS3] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 18,243 / 374,283 <80-100%> (-67%)
3./2. [PS3] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 15,701 / 65,733 <60-80%> (-69%)
4./5. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 - 12,441 / 227,760 <80-100%> (-43%)
5./NEW [PS3] Batman: Arkham Origins - 11,537 / NEW <60-80%>
6./8. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V - 11,466 / 567,810 <80-100%> (-23%)
7./NEW [PS3] The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series - 7,672 / NEW <60-80%>
8./3. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends - 7,667 / 44,255 <60-80%> (-79%)
9./6. [PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts (Subtitled) (7,278 with Dengeki)
10./9. [PS3] Battlefield 4 (5,872 with Dengeki)

360 Top 10 (Dec 2 - Dec 8)

1./NEW [360] Batman: Arkham Origins (762 with Dengeki)
2./1. [360] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (769 with Dengeki)
3./2. [360] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
4./4. [360] Grand Theft Auto V
5./3. [360] Call of Duty: Ghosts (Subtitled) (346 with Dengeki)
6./6. [360] Tomb Raider
7./7. [360] Halo 4
8./5. [360] Battlefield 4
9./10. [360] Lost Planet 3
10./9. [360] Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition

WIU Top 10 (Dec 2 - Dec 8)

1./NEW [WIU] Dragon Quest X Version 2 (Expansion) - 68,560 / NEW <80-100%>
2./2. [WIU] Wii Party U - 49,344 / 226,352 <40-60%> (+67%)
3./3. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U - 43,817 / 707,550 <80-100%> (+75%)
4./1. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World - 39,298 / 185,571 <60-80%> (+0%)
5./4. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! - 7,996 / 33,261 <20-40%> (+3%)
6./5. [WIU] Wii Fit U (Wii U Family Premium Set Black/White)
7./NEW [WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (5,725 with Dengeki)
8./7. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online (Bargain Edition)
9./10. [WIU] Pikmin 3
10./6. [WIU] Disney Infinity

WII Top 10 (Dec 2 - Dec 8)

1./NEW [WII] Dragon Quest X Version 2 (Expansion) - 111,187 / NEW <80-100%>
2./1. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (3,842 with Dengeki)
3./2. [WII] New Play Control! Pikmin 2
4./3. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (1,795 with Dengeki)
5./4. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl
6./5. [WII] Wii Sports Resort
7./6. [WII] Mario Party 9
8./8. [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010 Senkoku Ishin no Hero Daisyuugou! No Ken (Minna no Susume Selection)
9./7. [WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land
10./UP. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online (Bargain Edition)

3DS Top 14 (Dec 2 - Dec 8)

1./2. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y - 93,387 / 3,449,741 <80-100%> (+54%)
2./NEW [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind - 89,448 / NEW <60-80%>
3./NEW [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Big Bang / Supernova - 85,834 / NEW <20-40%>
4./NEW [3DS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Clash! Duel Carnival! - 38,451 / NEW <40-60%>
5./NEW [3DS] Bravely Default: For the Sequel - 36,990 / NEW <40-60%>
6./4. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 25,743 / 3,171,035 <80-100%> (+0%)
7./1. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 - 17,238 / 101,914 <60-80%> (-80%)
8./9. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 15,965 / 3,908,197 <80-100%> (+56%)
9./3. [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited World Red - 15,615 / 119,289 <40-60%> (-41%)
10./5. [3DS] Aikatsu! Futari no My Princess - 13,845 / 83,364 <40-60%> (-12%)
11./12. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life - 13,131 / 338,090 <80-100%> (+90%)
12./UP. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life - 12,848 / 1,488,511 <80-100%>
13./UP. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 10,321 / 2,154,892 <80-100%>
14./11. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! - 8,865 / 118,970 <60-80%> (+24%)

PSV Top 10 (Dec 2 - Dec 8)

1./1. [PSV] God Eater 2 - 11,089 / 326,713 <80-100%> (-43%)
2./3. [PSV] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends (4,272 with Dengeki)
3./2. [PSV] Criminal Girls: Invitation (3,643 with Dengeki)
4./7. [PSV] Gundam Breaker
5./5. [PSV] New Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland
6./NEW [PSV] Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate
7./9. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013
8./4. [PSV] White Album 2: Shiawase no Mukougawa
9./NEW [PSV] Tearaway
10./8. [PSV] Akiba's Trip 2

PSP Top 10 (Dec 2 - Dec 8)

1./1. [PSP] God Eater 2 - 7,663 / 161,929 <80-100%> (-40%)
2./2. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 (5,044 with Dengeki)
3./3. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 (3,944 with Dengeki)
4./UP. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (Rockstar Classics)
5./8. [PSP] God Eater Burst (PSP The Best)
6./4. [PSP] Your Diary +
7./UP. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Rockstar Classics)
8./UP. [PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: Music 2
9./9. [PSP] AKB1/149: Love Election
10./UP. [PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 8: Euro +

Top 30 Combined Sales Rankings: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 2 - Dec 8)
Last Week's Sales Rankings: Week 48, 2013 (Nov 25 - Dec 1)

hongcha

Yeah,

Weird how it wasnt cross platform with Vita. I mean its not exceptionally weird or anything, because Vita isn't doing all that well. But it would seem like something Sony could have convinced them to do.

I don't think it would work on Vita because you'd need to play it with the screen oriented vertically, which is OK for a smartphone but awkward for a Vita. This is one case in which the 3DS is really the more suitable platform.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well, the audience is in PlayStation platforms, they've probably done some market research. The only reason to make the game multiplatform could be to sell better in the West, and it probably isn't worth the time and money, either. If they aren't even making Tales of Zestiria a cross-gen title and releasing it in the PS4, which is the platform where their audience will probably migrate, they won't release it on the WiiU.

Nintendo could potentially make the money worry disappear if Namco released a Tales game for Wii U, although in that case they'd better localize it. Maybe some of the DQ MMO folks in Japan would buy the Tales game on Wii U? Those same folks may already own a PS3 though however.

On the other hand though, it really makes me wonder why they don't release a new Tales game on the 3DS. The Abyss remake was released when the 3DS was doing fairly poorly in all honesty. Since then, a decent number of RPGs have been doing well on the platform, like Fire Emblem, etc. It seems to me that the audience for a Tales like game is significant there in Japan and likely the West as well. I actually thought the Tales remake actually did decently in the US, although I don't have any actual numbers.

Nintendo could potentially make the money worry disappear if Namco released a Tales game for Wii U, although in that case they'd better localize it. Maybe some of the DQ MMO folks in Japan would buy the Tales game on Wii U? Those same folks may already own a PS3 though however.

On the other hand though, it really makes me wonder why they don't release a new Tales game on the 3DS. The Abyss remake was released when the 3DS was doing fairly poorly in all honesty. Since then, a decent number of RPGs have been doing well on the platform, like Fire Emblem, etc. It seems to me that the audience for a Tales like game is significant there in Japan and likely the West as well. I actually thought the Tales remake actually did decently in the US, although I don't have any actual numbers.

Putting Tales on the WiiU is the worst idea ever lol. It might even sell better on 360 if the Vesperia fans are still there. I don't know why we have this argument when the sales clearly show that PS3 is by far the best platform for the series and with what the producer of the series has said so many times.

Putting Tales on the WiiU is the worst idea ever lol. It might even sell better on 360 if the Vesperia fans are still there. I don't know why we have this argument when the sales clearly show that PS3 is by far the best platform for the series and with what the producer of the series has said so many times.
Are you really sure than a tales of game will sell better in Japan on 360 than wiiu?

Dalthien

13./19. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.01} (¥5.480) - 23.713 / 361.803 <80-100%> (+81%)

This is going to end up somewhere near 500k. I didn't see that coming. Have they announced any plans to bring this to the west? I imagine it would do fairly well in the west too.

TheZjman

Banned
Are they? Looking at the last few reports, they were not making a lot of money, in fact, they always posted an opperational loss and only had a positive result because of exchange rates, which is not healthy at all. Wii U is eating their 3DS profits.

Yeah this is the biggest problem. They can cope with being outsold, but the Wii U is countering everything good the 3DS is doing. Hopefully it will be cheaper for them to produce soon(if not already)

Frodo

it is clear that Tales audience is on the PS3, but Tales already did good numbers on Nintendo platforms before, so it is not like it is impossible for a Tales game to succeed outside Sony platforms. It would take a little bit of effort, sure, but not impossible.

Jenoss

Banned
it is clear that Tales audience is on the PS3, but Tales already did good numbers on Nintendo platforms before, so it is not like it is impossible for a Tales game to succeed outside Sony platforms. It would take a little bit of effort, sure, but not impossible.

They tested it with Tales of Abyss on 3ds.
No one knew that it was released, nobody know that is released, the stores did not know what it is, and had 1 copy on day one.

Nice way to test a console release

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Might be lowered expectations, but those Wii-U numbers aren't...completely horrible?

What brought on the spikes? Price cut?

On GC but on Wii it flopped.

They tested it with Tales of Abyss on 3ds.
No one knew that it was released, nobody know that is released, the stores did not know what it is, and had 1 copy on day one.

Nice way to test a console release
And Tota did better than what they expected lol.

Its more likely for a 3DS tales game than wiiu.

Acosta

The last thing Namco needs is starting again messing with platforms for Tales like the beginning of last gen, that just confuses the audience.

Baba has been clear, first Zesteria, and then PS4. It´s better that way, console JRPG audience is limited and needs to be as focused as possible for the next years.

About the sales, nothing to add, really susprising bump for Wii U, it´s nice to hear good news about it for once.

Top Bottom