• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2013 (Dec 09 - Dec 15)

Fisico

The fact they didn't bother to make Tales of Symphonia Chronicles PS3/Wii U just sealed the fate of Tales games on Nintendo platforms.
I mean if they didn't put a compilation of two games which were previously released on Nintendo platforms (with both being exclusive worldwide minus the original Symphonia in Japan), why would they even try other things ?

z0m3le

Banned
The fact they didn't bother to make Tales of Symphonia Chronicles PS3/Wii U just sealed the fate of Tales games on Nintendo platforms.
I mean if they didn't put a compilation of two games which were previously released on Nintendo platforms (with both being exclusive worldwide minus the original Symphonia in Japan), why would they even try other things ?

This. Though I don't see the harm in making their games multiplatform, it is quite clear that Namco isn't interested.

Because it was a lesser game, maybe?

The port of that Wii game sold better on PS3... The audience just is on Playstation.

Launch week sales:
[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 143.215 / NEW
[PS3] Tales of Graces F (Bandai Namco) {02/12/10} - 215.187 / NEW

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

they'll do tales of hyrule

z0m3le

Banned
The port of that Wii game sold better on PS3... The audience just is on Playstation.

Launch week sales:

This proves my point though, a 60% increase in sales because it was on both is good right?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Launch week sales:
True enough that's not the audience simply a larger audience it would have sold a lot less not being multiplatform

Fisico

True enough that's not the audience simply a larger audience it would have sold a lot less not being multiplatform

Let's add this one to the equation

Launch week sales:
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) {09/08/11} - 512,544 / NEW

Did they lost anything by not being multiplatform with Xillia ?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Launch week sales:

Who knows it wasn't released but they certainly would have lost a heck of a lot of sales with f. near 150k ltd is not to sniff at for games that don't sell over a million ltd. Even if it only sold that much with Xillia (not saying it would), it would still contribute a lot.

Launch week sales:

It will be interesting to see how Zestiria performs. Xillia certainly surprised me in how well it did. 600k+

Who knows it wasn't released but they certainly lost a heck of a lot of sales with f. near 150k ltd is not to sniff at for games that don't sell over a million ltd.

They lost a lot of sales for f precisely because they placed it on Wii and then did an up port on PS3. Also your theory about how multiplatform games will get more sales can be said about any exclusive third party game.

Would be true if the game had launched at the same time on both platforms. Now a year old port greatly outsold the original game and that is pretty rare. And like Fisico pointed out the true PS3 exclusive Tales (Xillia) then sold more first week than these combined. The audience is on Playstation.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Would be true if the game had launched at the same time on both platforms. Now a year old port greatly outsold the original game and that is pretty rare. And like Fisico pointed out the true PS3 exlusive Tales (Xillia) then sold more first week than these combined. The audience is on Playstation.

But 143k people still bought the game on the wii. That audience doesn't just disappear. If they were released near the same time the ps3 would have sold more but you can't ignore the near 150k for a game that only sells 500k ltd can you.

It's not like the game bomba'd and sold less than 50k. In the west platform holders would go multiplatform for a much lower percentage.

sörine

Banned
I think it's pretty clear that Tales is going to stay on PS3 and, barring any catastophes, eventually transition to PS4. There's not going to be any Tales games on Wii U or Xbox One. The only reason to go multiplatform would be for western markets which Namco isn't really interested in except as an afterthought.

That said, considering how little Symphonia Chroicles sold I think it'd have been better off as a 3DS game rather than on PS3. HD remasters don't put up big numbers in general and handheld ports of old games do tend to sell more.

anyone surprised that Dragon Quest is just gone?
Wasn't it essentially sold out last week? Do we know if it's still supply constrained?

Fisico

It will be interesting to see how Zestiria performs. Xillia certainly surprised me in how well it did. 600k+

Its sales were on par with the PS2 games (Rebirth, Abyss, Destiny 2...) when it was clear where the games would be released, Bamco just messed up on the PS360 generation by putting up games almost everywhere.

As for Zestiria, by being late gen I don't expect it to match Xillia's sales, but it should be higher than Xillia 2 (450k LTD) I guess.

But 143k people still bought the game on the wii. That audience doesn't just disappear. If they were released near the same time the ps3 would have sold more but you can't ignore the near 150 for a game that only sells 500k ltd can you.

It's not the game bomba'd and sold less than 50k. In the west platform holders would go multiplatform for a much lower percentage.

Its entirely possible that those 140k may also of had a PS3 and bought Xillia. Nothing suggests those 140k were fans that only owned a Wii. Your acting as if people in Japan only buy one console when in reality there may be overlap.

Also the game was pretty much a bomba. Its on par with Vesperia on the 360 for god sakes as the the worst opening of a Tales mainline game on a console

But 143k people still bought the game on the wii. That audience doesn't just disappear. If they were released near the same time the ps3 would have sold more but you can't ignore the near 150 for a game that only sells 500k ltd can you.

It's not the game bomba'd and sold less than 50k. In the west platform holders would go multiplatform for a much lower percentage.

Namco released several tales games on DS and Wii, and the result was that they underperformed. PSP spin-off games sold better relatively and that PS3 old year port blasted Wii sales.

The fanbase is on Playstation platforms and after they built them again on PS3 they aren't possibly dividing it again. Is the same reason why there isn't a MH game on Vita or why they neither release Tales games on 360.

But 143k people still bought the game on the wii. That audience doesn't just disappear. If they were released near the same time the ps3 would have sold more but you can't ignore the near 150k for a game that only sells 500k ltd can you.

It's not like the game bomba'd and sold less than 50k. In the west platform holders would go multiplatform for a much lower percentage.
The problem with this thinking is that at the beginning Graces was Wii exclusive so Tales of fans had to buy Wii for the game. There was no information about PS3 port before the game was released. Despite this the game relatively bombed and year old port sold way more. Had there been PS3 version from the start majority of those people that bought Wii version wouldn't have bought it. It isn't that simple that the game would sell extra 150k by having Wii version. The audience overlaps.

Metallix87

I'm actually still quite surprised about that.

z0m3le

Banned
Its entirely possible that those 140k may also of had a PS3 and bought Xillia. Nothing suggests those 140k were fans that only owned a Wii. Your acting as if people in Japan only buy one console when in reality there may be overlap.

Also the game was pretty much a bomba. Its on par with Vesperia on the 360 for god sakes as the the worst opening of a Tales mainline game on a console

The point is that you can't make the conclusion that Nintendo gamers are uninterested in the series when the game wasn't released as a multiplatform title. If it came out on the PS3 and Wii at the same time (would be silly with the limitations of Wii) we could then see the Wii game sell under 50k and the PS3 version sell ~350k, then your conclusion makes sense. Without that info, you are gambling that the people who would play the game on the nintendo platform simply own the PS3 and would play it on that instead. Releasing on multiple platforms isn't inherity a negative unless you are dealing with an online community that is shackled to the platform they play on, thus splitting said community (MMOs, MH's local play)

The problem with this thinking is that at the beginning Graces was Wii exclusive so Tales of fans had to buy Wii for the game. There was no information about PS3 port before the game was released. Despite this the game relatively bombed and year old port sold way more. Had there been PS3 version from the start majority of those people that bought Wii version wouldn't have bought it. It isn't that simple that the game would sell extra 150k by having Wii version. The audience overlaps.

The problem is how much it overlaps, it might not be a system seller at all, and thus the overlap would be smaller than you assume. Read what I said above. Also Nintendo's audience isn't 100% Sony's audience, so reaching out to both expands the market, that is why exclusives from 3rd parties dried up this last gen, because it was a poor idea to tie your $60 game to a $300+ machine that your future customer might not have, that will always be true and the only people it isn't true to is hardware makers.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

How do you know that, it's a pretty large assumption. The point is even if it sold 50k less it's still a significant amount. So you can't simply say the tales fan base is on PlayStation when it sells well over 100k on other platforms and the franchise at max sells just over 500k.

Metallix87

Eh, it's like asking why Abyss 3DS wasn't also on Vita? The extra sales wouldn't justify the porting. Symphonia Chronicles didn't even sell 200k on PS3 so I can't imagine what poor numbers it would have done on WiiU.
That's not what I meant. Both games started on Nintendo platforms. I thought for sure that Nintendo would pay out to get the collection. I'm shocked that they did not.

Fisico

Eh, it's like asking why Abyss 3DS wasn't also on Vita? The extra sales wouldn't justify the porting. Symphonia Chronicles didn't even sell 200k on PS3 so I can't imagine what poor numbers it would have done on WiiU.

I think he was talking from a worldwide point of view, of course it would have bomb terribly in Japan.

The point is that you can't make the conclusion that Nintendo gamers are uninterested in the series when the game wasn't released as a multiplatform title. If it came out on the PS3 and Wii at the same time (would be silly with the limitations of Wii) we could then see the Wii game sell under 50k and the PS3 version sell ~350k, then your conclusion makes sense. Without that info, you are gambling that the people who would play the game on the nintendo platform simply own the PS3 and would play it on that instead. Releasing on multiple platforms isn't inherity a negative unless you are dealing with an online community that is shackled to the platform they play on, thus splitting said community (MMOs, MH's local play)

The point is that you can't make the conclusion that Vita gamers are uninterested in SMT 4 when the game wasn't released as a multiplatform title. If it came out on the PSV and 3DS at the same time (would be silly with the limitations of 3DS) we could then see the PSV game sell under 50k and the 3DS version sell ~250k, then your conclusion makes sense. Without that info, you are gambling that the people who would play the game on the PSV platform simply own the 3DS and would play it on that instead.

I can say that about so many games. At the end of the day the vast majority of their fanbase is either on Playstation or would of gotten the idea that in order to play Tales they need to buy a Playstation.

z0m3le

Banned

Considering the "updated" game, it probably would of played natively on the Wii U. The point is, 3rd parties should cultivate their IPs across multiple platforms, making exclusives is dentrimental to a series because it limits the fanbase. I can understand if hardware is an issue in porting (PS3 to Wii) but I can't see a reason for 3rd parties to not release their titles across all platforms capable of playing the game unless it fragments the current experience thanks to online communities being shackled to their platform (I'll stop, I think I've said all I can say and this is going off topic imo)

The point is that you can't make the conclusion that Vita gamers are uninterested in SMT 4 when the game wasn't released as a multiplatform title. If it came out on the PSV and 3DS at the same time (would be silly with the limitations of 3DS) we could then see the PSV game sell under 50k and the 3DS version sell ~250k, then your conclusion makes sense. Without that info, you are gambling that the people who would play the game on the PSV platform simply own the 3DS and would play it on that instead.

I can say that about so many games. At the end of the day the vast majority of their fanbase is either on Playstation or would of gotten the idea that in order to play Tales they need to buy a Playstation.

I completely agree about Vita, why not release SMT4 on it? Why limit sales unless the hardware was used uniquely (I don't remember the bottom screen being all that important on SMT4)

3rd parties going exclusive makes no sense outside of MMOs and games like MH again.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The point is that you can't make the conclusion that Vita gamers are uninterested in SMT 4 when the game wasn't released as a multiplatform title. If it came out on the PSV and 3DS at the same time (would be silly with the limitations of 3DS) we could then see the PSV game sell under 50k and the 3DS version sell ~350k, then your conclusion makes sense. Without that info, you are gambling that the people who would play the game on the PSV platform simply own the 3DS and would play it on that instead.

I can ssy that about so many games. At the end of the day the vast majority of their fanbase is either on Playstation or would of gotten the idea that in order to play Tales they need to buy a Playstation.

I'm not saying every game should be multiplatform that's completely ignoring the point of this argument. I'm questioning the supposition that games fan base is only on one platform despite that fact a game released on the platform sold reasonably well. There's reasons publisher decide to cater ignore a fan base for whatever reason that does not mean the fan base isn't there.

sense

How do you know that, it's a pretty large assumption. The point is even if it sold 50k less it's still a significant amount. So you can't simply say the tales fan base is on PlayStation when it sells well over 100k on other platforms and the franchise at max sells just over 500k.

if it can sell 500k alone on one platform then why bother going through the process of working on another platform and trying to optimize for both platforms at the same time just for that 100k sales. this way they get to concentrate on the strengths of one platform and not have extra dev costs for more platforms. now if the difference between the sales on platforms were minor like 200k on wii and 300k on ps3 then yes it might be worth the effort but if an exclusive doesn't sell past 150k and has one of the worst opening in the franchise then i don't see that kind of split happening and hence it is better to stick with the platform that sells the most.

QaaQer

Considering the "updated" game, it probably would of played natively on the Wii U. The point is, 3rd parties should cultivate their IPs across multiple platforms, making exclusives is dentrimental to a series because it limits the fanbase. I can understand if hardware is an issue in porting (PS3 to Wii) but I can't see a reason for 3rd parties to not release their titles across all platforms capable of playing the game unless it fragments the current experience thanks to online communities being shackled to their platform (I'll stop, I think I've said all I can say and this is going off topic imo)

Thing is, development talent is not unlimited. So with that in mind, companies have to be careful what their teams work on. Everything else being equal, multiplat sales > than signle plat. But making something multiplat can result in lower profits for a company because of opportunity costs wrt talent and financing.

That's not what I meant. Both games started on Nintendo platforms. I thought for sure that Nintendo would pay out to get the collection. I'm shocked that they did not.
Why would Nintendo pay for it? It won't do anything for the system.

I think he was talking from a worldwide point of view, of course it would have bomb terribly in Japan.
I'm still unsure if it'd push enough units worldwide with the existence of a PS3 version. Part of the lure of ToS GC at the time was its exclusivity which justified the extra marketing push Nintendo gave to it.

Fisico

I'm not saying every game should be multiplatform that's completely ignoring the point of this argument. I'm questioning the supposition that games fan base is only on one platform despite that fact a game released on the platform sold reasonably well. There's reasons publisher decide to cater ignore a fan base for whatever reason that does not mean the fan base isn't there.

Which Tales on Nintendo platform sold reasonably well ?

sörine

Banned
Wii U isn't the Nintendo system that fans should be portbegging Tales games for anyway.

Tales of the Abyss (3DS) 121,815
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3) 104,532
Tales of Innocence R (PSV) 81,393
Tales of Hearts R (PSV) 70,066

Principate

Saint Titanfall
if it can sell 500k alone on one platform then why bother going through the process of working on another platform and trying to optimize for both platforms at the same time just for that 100k sales. this way they get to concentrate on the strengths of one platform and not have extra dev costs for more platforms. now if the difference between the sales on platforms were minor like 200k on wii and 300k on ps3 then yes it might be worth the effort but if an exclusive doesn't sell past 150k and has one of the worst opening in the franchise then i don't see that kind of split happening and hence it is better to stick with the platform that sells the most.

Multiplatform publishers in the west do it for less so there's clearly sufficient amount of revenue capable from it. The most likely scenario is a lot of Japanese developers just aren't built to handle simultaneous multiplatform titles so they don't bother.

Which Tales on Nintendo platform sold reasonably well ?

Tales of graces on the wii sold near 30% of tales of Xillia. If that's not doing well then I don't know what is. Also Abyss

Considering the "updated" game, it probably would of played natively on the Wii U. The point is, 3rd parties should cultivate their IPs across multiple platforms, making exclusives is dentrimental to a series because it limits the fanbase. I can understand if hardware is an issue in porting (PS3 to Wii) but I can't see a reason for 3rd parties to not release their titles across all platforms capable of playing the game unless it fragments the current experience thanks to online communities being shackled to their platform (I'll stop, I think I've said all I can say and this is going off topic imo
That's more of an ideal. The truth is that developers do not have an unlimited amount of resources and multiplatform development incurs extra costs that may or may not be worth it. Basically there's risk analysis that must first be done to ascertain that multiplatform development is actually beneficial.

Fisico

Tales of graces on the wii sold near 30% of tales of Xillia. If that's not doing well then I don't know what is.

It is the biggest bomb the series has ever known, if you say that the game has been doing well then you know nothing about the series.
(EDIT : Not to mention that Bamco had to call back almost every copy a few weeks after launch because the game was buggy as hell and they weren't able to patch it with the Wii hardware, they lost a shitton of money with this game)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It is the biggest bomb the series has ever known, if you say that the game has been doing well then you know nothing about the series.

For a series that has never passed the 800k threshold it sales are fine for a platform of which no fan base was cultivated on. Selling less than on platforms with more cultivated fanbases does not make it the biggest bomb.

Your edit it Namco's issue is it not. That in itself would damage the brand and it's sales on that platform which kinda aides my point.

z0m3le

Banned
Thing is, development talent is not unlimited. So with that in mind, companies have to be careful what their teams work on. Everything else being equal, multiplat sales > than signle plat. But making something multiplat can result in lower profits for a company because of opportunity costs wrt talent and financing.

Investment in the future, porting doesn't take that much time or effort and going forward it will take less. Wii ports and Wii U ports have been done with as little as 4 people, calculating their time for porting at 18months and having them each paid 100k would put the cost of development or the port at 600k, which is around 25k sales for a $50 game with a 50% profit to the developer. The next time a game in that series is released, you could see growth on that platform (especially if the game is better than the previous one) this means you've successfully grown your market.

We are in a sales thread, this is just business. So while it's true that there is risk, the risk is often very minimal for these companies and while some have cut their loses because they have saught bigger budgets, I actually see exclusives being more dangerous as the budget rises, especially overtime. 3rd parties also have to worry about these 1st party companies leaving the market, what if Microsoft's next CEO drops Xbox, does 3rd parties making exclusives on that platform assume their IPs will find their fans on another exclusive platform when those gamers have never experienced the series before?

I'm not talking about port begging here, I'm simply saying from a 3rd party developer's point of view, reaching out to the largest audience possible is obivously a benefit to developers, exclusives is it's antithesis.

Why would Nintendo pay for it? It won't do anything for the system.

I'm still unsure if it'd push enough units worldwide with the existence of a PS3 version. Part of the lure of ToS GC at the time was its exclusivity which justified the extra marketing push Nintendo gave to it.

Well they did pay for Yakuza HD :p

Multiplatform publishers in the west do it for less so there's clearly sufficient amount of revenue capable from it. The most likely scenario is a lot of Japanese developers just aren't built to handle simultaneous multiplatform titles so they don't bother.

Tales of graces on the wii sold near 30% of tales of Xillia. If that's not doing well then I don't know what is. Also Abyss

Dude countless people have told you. There is platform overlap and hence a MP release will not get 150k sales. Furthermore you trying to spin Graces as doing well is bemusing to say the least.

It sold on par with a 360 tales game (I guess Tales should be on 360 as well lol) and is THE WORST selling Tales mainline game on consoles.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Dude countless people have told you. There is platform overlap and hence a MP release will not get 150k sales. Furthermore you trying to spin Graces as doing well is bemusing to say the least.

It sold on par with a 360 tales game (I guess Tales should be on 360 as well lol) and is THE WORST selling Tales mainline game on consoles.

Again assumed overlap you have no proof. And the game was a buggy mess which destroyed any legs it had.

sense

i agree with this and that answers your question to why it is not multiplatform and history clearly suggests they sell most on playstation consoles and hence it is exclusive and why they keep saying their fanbase is on ps because they likely don't have resources like in the west to optimize for multiple platforms and still be profitable

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

I completely agree about Vita, why not release SMT4 on it? Why limit sales unless the hardware was used uniquely (I don't remember the bottom screen being all that important on SMT4)

3rd parties going exclusive makes no sense outside of MMOs and games like MH again.

I for one wouldn't mind it either, as Atlus apparently can't be arsed to locate it to Europe :(

But I'm generally not a big fan of third party exclusives anyway. I also think they should put the Persona series on every platform.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
i agree with this and that answers your question to why it is not multiplatform and history clearly suggests they sell most on playstation consoles and hence it is exclusive and why they keep saying their fanbase is on ps because they likely don't have resources like in the west to optimize for multiple platforms and still be profitable

I wasn't asking that question I had already assumed that was likely the reason, I was wonder why people were assuming there was no fanbase on Nintendo platform when the 3DS and wii games didn't bomb as bad as I thought they would considering the circumstances of the versions.

z0m3le

Banned

While the overlap exists, it seems the real problem with the game was bugginess and likely low reviews because of it. With everything fixed a year later on the PS3 also looking better, I'm sure the sales being higher made the point there. I can see a small developer not porting a game (though indies do it for a couple thousand more on their kickstarters, often with resources that make Namco look like the US Government) but for Namco is it sort of a joke that they can't spare 5-10 people to port the title day and date with another platform.

Dengeki Weekly Software Highlights: Week 50, 2013 (Dec 09 - Dec 15)

Puzzles & Dragons Z
  • 521K opening week
  • 80% sell-through rate, so ~651,500 copies were shipped for the opening week

Top 3DS Debuts
  • 1. Pokemon X / Y - 2,048,444 first week, 3,497,847 LTD
  • 2. Monster Hunter 4 - 1,823,207 first week, 3,104,926 LTD
  • 3. Dragon Quest 7 Remake - 812,430 first week, 1,264,536 LTD
  • 4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 558,802 first week, 3,463,388 LTD
  • 5. Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate - 525,138 first week, 1,586,062 LTD
    [*]6. Puzzles & Dragons Z - 521,253 first week
  • 7. Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D - 505,794 first week, 963,760 LTD
  • 8. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 434,500 first week, 2,069,146 LTD

Nobunaga's Ambition: Creativity
  • 55K opening week
  • 85% sell-through rate, so ~64,500 copies were shipped for the opening week

Code:
[B]DENGEKI TOP 50 SOFTWARE SALES
Week 50, 2013 (Dec 9 - Dec 15)[/B]

[U][B]RANK/L.WK	TITLE								PUBLISHER		RELEASE		SALES	LTD		WK. CHANGE[/B][/U]
[b]1/-     3DS     PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z                                  GungHo Online Entmt.    13/12/12        521,253 521,253[/b]    
2/6     Wii U   Wii Party U                                                     Nintendo                13/10/31        75,176  301,504         52%
3/5     3DS     Pokémon X                                                       Pokémon Co.             13/10/12        73,047  1,822,192       35%
4/10    Wii U   New Super Mario Bros. U                                         Nintendo                12/12/08        63,035  779,685         51%
5/8     3DS     Pokémon Y                                                       Pokémon Co.             13/10/12        60,141  1,675,655       40%
[b]6/-     PS3     Nobunaga's Ambition: Creativity                                 Koei Tecmo              13/12/12        54,800  54,800[/b]    
7/9     Wii U   Super Mario 3D World                                            Nintendo                13/11/21        53,476  231,733         25%
8/1     PS3     Gran Turismo 6                                                  SCE                     13/12/05        50,829  256,246         -75%
9/3     3DS     Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind                      Spike Chunsoft          13/12/05        42,672  137,447         -55%
[b]10/-    PS3     Call of Duty: Ghosts (Dubbed)                                   Square Enix             13/12/12        37,876  37,876[/b]    
11/14   3DS     Monster Hunter 4                                                Capcom                  13/09/14        33,600  3,104,926       34%
12/19   3DS     Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life                              Bandai Namco Games      13/08/01        23,041  371,772         65%
13/22   3DS     Animal Crossing: New Leaf                                       Nintendo                12/11/08        22,171  3,463,388       74%
14/24   3DS     Friend Collection: New Life                                     Nintendo                13/04/18        21,231  1,539,338       90%
15/17   3DS     Aikatsu! Futari no My Princess                                  Bandai Namco Games      13/11/21        19,065  118,586         30%
16/21   3DS     One Piece: Unlimited World Red                                  Bandai Namco Games      13/11/21        17,700  135,583         33%
17/7    3DS     Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Supernova                             Level 5                 13/12/05        17,128  66,122          -65%
18/15   3DS     Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2                                   Sega                    13/11/28        16,306  126,439         -17%
19/26   3DS     Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle!             Bandai Namco Games      13/10/17        15,382  141,356         53%
20/18   Vita    God Eater 2                                                     Bandai Namco Games      13/11/14        13,028  325,885         -7%
21/32   3DS     New Super Mario Bros. 2                                         Nintendo                12/07/28        12,906  2,069,146       66%
22/30   Wii U   Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version!                               Bandai Namco Games      13/11/21        12,829  47,083          57%
23/16   PS3     Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII                           Square Enix             13/11/21        12,438  374,154         -35%
24/20   PS3     World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014                                Konami                  13/11/14        12,300  239,597         -9%
25/13   3DS     Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Big Bang                              Level 5                 13/12/05        11,606  44,400          -65%
[b]26/-    3DS     Kobito Zukan: Kobito no Fushigi - Jikken Set                    Nippon Columbia         13/12/12        11,447  11,447[/b]    
27/36   3DS     Mario Kart 7                                                    Nintendo                11/12/01        11,006  2,132,340       74%
28/12   3DS     Bravely Default: For the Sequel                                 Square Enix             13/12/05        10,872  43,969          -67%
29/29   PS3     Grand Theft Auto V                                              Rockstar Games          13/10/10        10,775  548,804         23%
30/41   3DS     Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon                                      Nintendo                13/03/20        10,124  942,403         91%
31/25   PSP     God Eater 2                                                     Bandai Namco Games      13/11/14        9,356   172,426         -8%
32/44   3DS     Super Mario 3D Land                                             Nintendo                11/11/03        9,138   1,902,786       83%
33/23   PS3     Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag                                 Ubisoft                 13/11/28        8,894   57,408          -27%
34/2    Wii     Dragon Quest X Online Version 2 (Expansion)                     Square Enix             13/12/05        8,822   117,183         -92%
35/34   3DS     Daigasso! Band Brothers P                                       Nintendo                13/11/14        8,794   76,854          20%
36/40   3DS     World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014                                Konami                  13/11/14        8,241   37,324          55%
37/11   3DS     Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Clash! Duel Carnival!                           Konami                  13/12/05        7,517   40,834          -77%
38/47   3DS     Youkai Watch                                                    Level 5                 13/07/11        7,488   230,961         69%
39/51   Wii     Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition                     Bandai Namco Games      12/11/29        7,438   584,523         
40/48   3DS     Mario & Luigi: Dream Team                                       Nintendo                13/07/18        7,165   367,006         65%
41/46   3DS     Kamen Rider: Travelers Senki                                    Bandai Namco Games      13/11/28        6,633   22,867          45%
42/37   PS3     Battlefield 4                                                   Electronic Arts         13/11/07        6,338   169,011         8%
43/60   3DS     Kuma-Tomo                                                       Bandai Namco Games      13/06/20        6,244   77,549          
44/43   PSP     World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014                                Konami                  13/11/14        6,233   45,171          24%
45/61   3DS     Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!!                    Nippon Columbia         13/07/25        6,156   67,750          
[b]46/-    PS3     Need for Speed: ​​Rivals                                          Electronic Arts         13/12/12        5,806   5,806[/b]    
47/39   3DS     Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live: Kira Kira My Design                 Takara Tomy             13/11/28        5,656   26,317          2%
[b]48/-    3DS     Home Town Story                                                 Spike Chunsoft          13/12/12        5,513   5,513[/b]    
49/56   3DS     Model Oshare Audition: Dream Girl                               Alchemist               13/11/14        5,456   20,406          
50/27   PS3     Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends                              Koei Tecmo              13/11/28        5,128   50,896          -44%

Top 50

3DS - 31
PS3 - 10
WIU - 4
PSP - 2
WII - 2
PSV - 1

New releases not present in the Top 50:
Code:
[3DS] Vitamin Z: Revolution
[3DS] Kirameki Waku Waku Sweets
[3DS] Hello Kitty to Mahou no Apron: Rhythm Cooking

[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (Reprint)

[WIU] Monster Hunter Frontier G: Beginner's Package

[PS3] Ginsei Igo 2: Next Generation
[PS3] Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition
[PS3] Skate 2 + Skate 3: Double Value Pack (EA Best Hits)
[PS3] Crysis 3 (EA Best Hits)

[360] Call of Duty: Ghosts (Dubbed)
[360] Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition
[360] Need for Speed: ​​Rivals[/B]

Code:
[B]DENGEKI TOP 3 SOFTWARE SALES PER PLATFORM

[U][B]RANK	TITLE								PUBLISHER		RELEASE		SALES	LTD[/B][/U]

[B]PS3 Top 3:[/B]
[b]1       Nobunaga's Ambition: Creativity                                 Koei Tecmo              13/12/12        54,800  54,800[/b]            
2       Gran Turismo 6                                                  SCE                     13/12/05        50,829  256,246                         
[b]3       Call of Duty: Ghosts (Dubbed)                                   Square Enix             13/12/12        37,876  37,876[/b]            

[B]PSV Top 3:[/B]
1       God Eater 2                                                     Bandai Namco Games      13/11/14        13,028  325,885                         
2       Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013                              Konami                  13/10/24        3,618   64,331                          
3       Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends                          Koei Tecmo              13/11/28        3,111   19,683                          

[B]PSP Top 3:[/B]
1       God Eater 2                                                     Bandai Namco Games      13/11/14        9,356   172,426                         
2       World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014                                Konami                  13/11/14        6,233   45,171                          
3       Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013                              Konami                  13/10/24        4,347   124,682                         

[B]WIU Top 3:[/B]
1       Wii Party U                                                     Nintendo                13/10/31        75,176  301,504                         
2       New Super Mario Bros. U                                         Nintendo                12/12/08        63,035  779,685                         
3       Super Mario 3D World                                            Nintendo                13/11/21        53,476  231,733                         

[B]WII Top 3:[/B]
1       Dragon Quest X Online Version 2 (Expansion)                     Square Enix             13/12/05        8,822   117,183                         
2       Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition                     Bandai Namco Games      12/11/29        7,438   584,523                         
3       Mario Kart Wii                                                  Nintendo                08/04/10        2,022   3,603,951                       

[B]3DS Top 3:[/B]
[b]1       PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z                                  GungHo Online Entmt.    13/12/12        521,253 521,253[/b]            
2       Pokémon X                                                       Pokémon Co.             13/10/12        73,047  1,822,192                       
3       Pokémon Y                                                       Pokémon Co.             13/10/12        60,141  1,675,655                       

[B]DS Top 3:[/B]
1       Pokémon Black 2                                                 Pokémon Co.             12/06/23        411     1,626,162                       
2       Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Ultimate Hits)      Square Enix             10/03/04        353     193,434                         
3       Pokémon White 2                                                 Pokémon Co.             12/06/23        306     1,423,067                       

[B]360 Top 3:[/B]
[b]1       Dishonored Game of the Year Edition                             Bethesda Softworks      13/12/12        1,587   1,587[/b]            
[b]2       Call of Duty: Ghosts (Dubbed)                                   Square Enix             13/12/12        1,507   1,507[/b]            
[b]3       Need for Speed: ​​Rivals                                          Electronic Arts         13/12/12        333     333  [/b]

Code:
[B]DENGEKI TOTAL SOFTWARE SALES

[U][B]SYSTEM		SALES		SALES(%)	FY-TO-DATE SALES	FY-TO-DATE(%)[/B][/U]
PS3		267,630		15.0%		8,059,827		25.2%
Vita		54,635		3.1%		2,280,770		7.1%
PSP		47,699		2.7%		2,637,399		8.2%
Wii U		233,363		13.1%		1,637,895		5.1%
Wii		34,637		1.9%		765,166			2.4%
3DS		1,132,693	63.5%		16,034,222		50.1%
DS		7,243		0.4%		278,410			0.9%
X360		6,455		0.4%		303,040			0.9%
Total		1,784,355	100.0%		31,996,729		100.0%

foASFiF.png

fNtcdBI.png

eAUfD5P.png

1FsrqfY.png

Code:
[B]DENGEKI TOTAL HARDWARE SALES

[U][B]SYSTEM		SALES		SALES(%)	FY-TO-DATE SALES	FY-TO-DATE(%)[/B][/U]
PS3		24,636		7.7%		465,896			9.3%
Vita		29,358		9.1%		629,057			12.5%
PS Vita TV	3,615		1.1%		58,462			1.2%
PSP		6,027		1.9%		202,023			4.0%
Wii U		70,596		22.0%		478,487			9.5%
Wii		760		0.2%		37,429			0.7%
3DS LL		133,645		41.6%		2,234,959		44.4%
3DS		52,069		16.2%		913,594			18.2%
X360		401		0.1%		12,788			0.3%
Total		321,107		100.0%		5,032,695		100.0%

ZtXmgk8.png

ryy06KN.png

wYpB4FR.png

6qvDnzh.png

*Note: The bolded figures (for total software / hardware sales) have undergone minor adjustments in accordance with slight FY-to-date discrepancies
*Note: The term FY-to-date refers to the period from April 1st, 2013 through March 30th, 2014

What is Dengeki? Is it accurate? How is it different from other trackers?
If you don't already know, go to the following link and scroll down to the bottom to learn some information about it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76980735&postcount=18

Dengeki Spreadsheet Archive
http://bit.ly/1eHC5zm

Dengeki Historical Sales Archive
2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013
(A very special thanks to Road for making this archive possible)

Last Week's Sales Figures: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 2 - Dec 8)

QaaQer

Investment in the future, porting doesn't take that much time or effort and going forward it will take less. Wii ports and Wii U ports have been done with as little as 4 people, calculating their time for porting at 18months and having them each paid 100k would put the cost of development or the port at 600k, which is around 25k sales for a $50 game with a 50% profit to the developer. The next time a game in that series is released, you could see growth on that platform (especially if the game is better than the previous one) this means you've successfully grown your market.

We are in a sales thread, this is just business. So while it's true that there is risk, the risk is often very minimal for these companies and while some have cut their loses because they have saught bigger budgets, I actually see exclusives being more dangerous as the budget rises, especially overtime. 3rd parties also have to worry about these 1st party companies leaving the market, what if Microsoft's next CEO drops Xbox, does 3rd parties making exclusives on that platform assume their IPs will find their fans on another exclusive platform when those gamers have never experienced the series before?

I'm not talking about port begging here, I'm simply saying from a 3rd party developer's point of view, reaching out to the largest audience possible is obivously a benefit to developers, exclusives is it's antithesis.

You are also assuming the ins and outs of porting a ps3 game built on whatever engine current Tales games are built on would be the same or similar as porting an unreal engine game. I'm assuming Namco makes rational business decisions and that porting whatever tales game we are talking about would reduce their profitability.

Who knows what the actual story is.

sörine

Banned
Symphonia. God I loved that game so much.
Symphonia was considered a dissapointment in Japan I believe. It's western sales dwarfed the rest of the franchise though and made it one if the best sellers ever worldwide.

It's a funny sort of dynamic, in Japan the Tales games have almost always sold best on PS platforms while in the west they've almost always sold worst on PS platforms. The argument for making Tales multiplatform really aligns with the argument for pushing it more in western markets.

Top Bottom