• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2014 (Dec 08 - Dec 14)

Safe to say the PS4 is as good as dead in Japan when a Western title pushes sales.

It was dragon quest heroes.......not a western title...If PS4 is dead what does that make x1? ps4 will continue to slowly rise in japan and be fine longterm.

I also disagree, if a western title can push PS4 in japan, imagine what a big japanese ttile will do like FF15, Dragon Quest , MGS V bundle next year?

sörine

Banned
The thing is it's a bundle without the game being out yet and there a lot of games coming out next year. PS4 will do ok in Japan in the long run. Definitely better than WiiU.
In the long run sure it could do ok, and better than Wii U eventually's a given now. But these numbers aren't unheard of for a console in December and looked at historically they're not exactly what I'd call "return of the king".

Wii U is in an even more terrible shape than I expected, those figures are simply pathetic.

The system is beyond saving. At this point I think Nintendo won't even bother with dropping the price (in Japan at least), they will just ride it out and try to squeeze as much profit out of it as possible before discontinuation.

Asd202

sörine;143700949 said:
In the long run sure it could do ok, and better than Wii U eventually's a given now. But these numbers aren't unheard of for a console in December and looked at historically they're not exactly what I'd call "return of the king".

Who said it was a "return of the king"? It just a postive considering the game is not even out yet and pushed the sales to almost WiiU holiday levels. The true test will be in Febuary-March because that's when PS4 will get something that Wii U never had - a stream of games.

zeromcd73

The system is beyond saving. At this point I think Nintendo won't even bother with dropping the price (in Japan at least), they will just ride it out and try to squeeze as much profit out of it as possible before discontinuation.
Third party support is completely dead. Even PSP has more third party games next year than Wii U :(

crinale

Kind of crazy the bundle pushed as much as it did considering the game isn't even out until February.

Rumor goes that originally SE planned for 3K units for each major retailer (like 3-4 of them) to sell but of course units evaporated once pre-order started.
Now they are siphoning the retail channel with bundle little by little (I assume it continues until the release date) to piss off the scalpers lol.

SmokyDave

I'm fairly surprised at how terribly the Wii U is doing. Nintendo have thrown out everything they can, but people barely give the slightest shit. Seems the PS4 will be slapping it around for fun next year.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Actually, I think next year it'll be price drop time in Japan, especially if Nintendo is back at being profitable enough. Who know if it'll be a 5,000 Yen price-cut or 10,000 Yen. Probably, it'll be the former.

Safe to say the PS4 is as good as dead in Japan when a Western title pushes sales.

Sarcasm aside, the only hope that Japan's console market doesn't drop like a rock is that the market there broadens their taste and acceptance of western-developed titles.

We can all hope that some ambitious developer in Japan will be able to come up with the next 'big thing' ala Pokemon/MH/YW on the PS4 to 'save' the PS4, but that's like finding a needle in a haystack. Even more so with so much of Japan's talent being put onto mobile/3DS.

A more realistic expectation for Japan as a market is the small, small hope that the market's taste may expand to be more inclusive of western titles to at least soften the market's decline.

Welfare

Code:
Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08) 

Nintendo Wii U - 46.773

Week 49, 2014 (Dec 01 - Dec 07) 

[B]Nintendo Wii U - 27.191 (-42% YoY)[/B]

Code:
Week 50, 2013 (Dec 09 - Dec 15) 

Nintendo Wii U - 72.982

Week 50, 2014 (Dec 08 - Dec 14) 

[B]Nintendo Wii U - 29.411 (-60% YoY)[/B]

Oh man that performance.

Davey Cakes

It's a niche console. It was beyond saving within a year of its release.

That said, NINTENDO will ride it out, especially since the Wii U at least sells...decently for a niche system in North America.

I say it in these threads all the time but the key is probably for NINTENDO to shift their focus towards NA. I can actually see some sort of growth here, unlike the other regions.

Japan sucks.

Busaiku

Actually, I think next year it'll be price drop time in Japan, especially if Nintendo is back at being profitable enough. Who know if it'll be a 5,000 Yen price-cut or 10,000 Yen. Probably, it'll be the former.
A price drop is not gonna help it.
There are no games for it that'll move systems.

Atram

OK, that doesn;t change the fact you are dead wrong. DQ is not even out and it gave ps4 a big boost, 2015 and on ps4 will continue to rise in japan.

selling a hard limited Bundel helped every Hardware in Japan...i didn´t see something special.

If this was a regular normal Bundel with the DL Code for that Game, i would say ok this is a good performance but it looks like PS4 will fall behind WiiU next Week...

01./00. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi - 1.211.918 / NEW <80-100%>

07./06. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke - 36.102 / 2.978.314 <80-100%> (+43%)

Impressive.

YW2 is going to cross the 3m mark even with the expansion. And YW2.5 started really strong. Curious to see the hold during holidays.

06./08. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 45.135 / 1.886.889 <80-100%> (+109%)

What a jump! SSB might reach the 2m mark before the end of the year. It's already there with digital sales.

14./24. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu - 12.933 / 35.082 <40-60%> (+86%)

My delicious sleeper-hit :) this is one of the titles that surprisingly goes to sell 100k+ units.

518217.jpg

16./10. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind - Chain - 11.895 / 31.067 <40-60%> (-38%)

Really good hold. 50k is a lock at this point. The vanilla version already sold 300k+. Attack on Titan on 3DS is a huge success.

26./13. [3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 3 - 6.238 / 23.884 <40-60%> (-65%)
29./07. [PSV] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 3 - 5.246 / 28.890 <40-60%> (-78%)

It'd be funny if the 3DS version will eventually sell more, but it might happen given its installed base. Overall, mediocre debut but holidays might make up for it and allow the game to go around 70-80k units.

selling a hard limited Bundel helped every Hardware in Japan...i didn´t see something special.

If this was a regular normal Bundel with the DL Code for that Game, i would say ok this is a good performance but it looks like PS4 will fall behind WiiU next Week...

Want to bet? ps4 has been beating wiiu most weeks now for awhile with no releases, third party games are helping ps4 in japan, wii-u has nothing to drive hardware...Ps4 will continue to slowly rise with more releases in 2015.

This was a DL code for a game 2 months away.....and is not going to be the last Japan centric title for ps4. Ps4 will do well in japan long term.

PS4 is primed to start killing it in Japan in 2015.

Sony just needs to keep the hype train going and make sure everyone knows what is hitting the system through the months in 2015.

How is PS4 marketing in Japan, for those who would know?

Who knows what happens when Dragons Quest, Bloodborne, Bladestorm, Persona, Ys, Disgaea 5, Hot Shots, Metal Gear etc. start hitting. Then the big one with FFXV. Type 0 with the demo may push some units out the doors in the spring over there too. So that would be Bloodborne, Dragon Quest Heroes, Type 0 and such like that hitting in the spring. Should be good!

crinale

The DQH bundle model actually costs more than buying PS4 and the game separately (you still get nice silver coating plus USB cover though). I wasn't expecting this bundle to sell that much TBH.

Atram

Want to bet? ps4 has been beating wiiu most weeks now for awhile with no releases, third party games are helping ps4 in japan, wii-u has nothing to drive hardware...Ps4 will continue to slowly rise with more releases in 2015.

i don´t need to bet to realize the bad performance now and in the future for WiiU and the PS4 with all the suuport...for sure depends on the low bar that is set.

no one is saying that the PS4 won´t rise in 2015, the problem is the same as with the Vita.

So much effort for small sales peaks, nothing more, this will be the same situation with the PS4.

Edit 2 ur Edit: that Bundel was a Special Limited Edition, so your point is totaly wrong.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The DQH bundle model actually costs more than buying PS4 and the game separately (you still get nice silver coating plus USB cover though). I wasn't expecting this bundle to sell that much TBH.
That's not unusual for a special edition bundle.

Really can't believe how bad WiiU sales are. It's down massively from last year in both weekly and yearly totals, despite having 2 of it's biggest games released this year. Looks like those games are really just selling to the faithful who've already bought one and Nintendo's console market is severely limited now.

sörine

Banned
200k looks out of reach for PS Nova now. Maybe with digital though, doesn't the game ship with a discount code or something?

So how much would the LTD PS4 install base be in Japan after the DQ H/Bloodborne/FFXV demo trifecta? Could it reach 2,000,000 by April?

i don´t need to bet to realize the bad performance now and in the future for WiiU and the PS4 with all the suuport...for sure depends on the low bar that is set.

no one is saying that the PS4 won´t rise in 2015, the problem is the same as with the Vita.

So much effort for small sales peaks, nothing more, this will be the same situation with the PS4.

Edit 2 ur Edit: that Bundel was a Special Limited Edition, so your point is totaly wrong.

Disagree...the baseline will continue to rise..I am not talking small spike, the ps4 will end up healthy in Japan. Pirce wise it is also poised to be cheaper, faster then ps3. There is a tonne of software coming for japan in 2015, and more to be announced. Ps4 wont be anything like vita, heck western games are helping ps4 mainly this year in japan.

Once the more Japan centric titles roll out it will keep doing considerably better.

PSP:
I thought I told you that we won't stop

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A price drop is not gonna help it.
There are no games for it that'll move systems.

I'd guess it depends. I mean, Wii U still has to get a price drop in Japan, compared to the West. This year's Holiday bundle, while having less content (just Mario Kart 8) costs actually more than last year's (due to the tax increase, too). I'd say a brand new 32 GB Base pack with Mario Kart 8 and another game at 25,000 could help getting the console to a weely average of 12,000 - 15,000 outside of Holidays. It has to be seen if Nintendo has both the possibility (enough profitability from other sources) and the will to do it...especially considering how the improvements could be big just % wise, not in absolute terms.

Top Bottom