• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2014 (Dec 08 - Dec 14)

For those who have are able to know, is there much DQH hype in Japan at the moment?

Hearing about possible DQ remasters on Ps4 has my giddy

Oregano

Vita can most likely run Dragon Quest Heroes and Koei Tecmo loves to make PS3/PS4/PSV games, but the game is just for PS3/PS4.

If DQX is released on PS consoles I expect it to be for PS4 only. Depending on how long S-E plans to support DQX on Wii, it might be coming to PS3 too.

That is a good point. You might be right. I wouldn't be surprised if DQ Heroes and Hyrule Warriors got Vita and 3DS versions at the end of next year though(the latter being the less likely one).

small44

The game is on 3DS and the Wii. It can easily run on Vita and Vita probably has more active/potential users than the home consoles.

Level 5 is probably the only third party publisher who's number one platform is 3DS. I think that helps them a lot.
It's also kind of insane that only one publishers focuses on the best selling platform.
I don't see any big 3rd party releasing one of their biggest IP on Vita

Vita can most likely run Dragon Quest Heroes and Koei Tecmo loves to make PS3/PS4/PSV games, but the game is just for PS3/PS4.

If DQX is released on PS consoles I expect it to be for PS4 only. Depending on how long S-E plans to support DQX on Wii, it might be coming to PS3 too.
DQX is an MMO with paid subscriptions, the more platforms, the better. Vita has also proved to be a good platform for MHF and PSO.

small44

Vita is and will continue to be more relevant than the ps4 in Japan for a gois long while if not for good

Not without any big IP like Final fantasy,Metal gear solid,Kindoms heart...
Next week Vita will fall below 2013 total numbers,then 2015 will have a big drop from 2014 sale 2016-2017 psv will be completely dead

Takao

Banned
nah, dqx is coming to vita but it'll be the last platform to get it
announced at tgs
sony needs it so they can complete the trifecta of tgs vita request "fulfilments"
tgs 2013: want mh on vita? here's frontier
tgs 2014: want type-0 on vita? here's agito plus
tgs 2015: want dq on vita? here's streaming version of dqx (square enix ain't got time to do a native port)

before i was betting on a persona 5 social game port but now i'm convinced

Vita is and will continue to be more relevant than the ps4 in Japan for a gois long while if not for good

Yeah say stuff like this when the PS4 has a thick library in Japan. Right now it's basically just hand-me-down titles. Next year will tell the tale and especially when FFXV hits.

Oregano

Not without any big IP like Final fantasy,Metal gear solid,Kindoms heart...
Next week Vita will fall below 2013 total numbers,then 2015 will have a big drop from 2014 sale 2016-2017 psv will be completely dead

Wii U is even less important for third parties but it's got DQX.:)

PSV

2011: 400k+ (iirc)
2012: 690k
2013: 1224k
2014: 1090k

PS4:

2014: 900k

Yeah no. PS4 actually has meaningful third party support unlike PSV. I expect the Vita to have a notable decline next year.

You know what he means. PS4 will have FFXV, KH3, MGSV, RE7, GTA6, GT7, DQ11 ;)
It will be interesting to see how these big franchises perform on PS4 though especially the ones that are exclusive (not on PS3 at least).

small44

Wii u get a real Monster Hunter game,Vita get a port of a port of Monster hunter game that released on vita after other versions.
Persona 4 sold incredibly well and we didn't get a version of Persona 5 and instead of getting original final fantasy spin off we getting a port of a mobile games.

Takao

Banned
Not sure I'd say Gran Turismo is a big franchise in Japan anymore.

Square Enix and Vita is a weird story. It sounds like SaGa is just the beginning of their "real" support, but who knows what that will actually entail.

Oregano

Wii u get a real Monster Hunter game,Vita get a port of a port of Monster hunter game that released on vita after other versions.
Persona 4 sold incredibly well and we didn't get a version of Persona 5 and instead of getting original final fantasy spin off we getting a port of a mobile games.

Wii U only got MH Tri Ultimate because it could have cross-play/cross-save with 3DS. It notably hasn't got 4 Ultimate and some even think it might be ported to PS4 insteand.

Also Square Enix just announced a new SaGa game exclusive to Vita, that is pretty big, and if rumours are true there's more original stuff on the way including maybe FFX-3.

Not sure I'd say Gran Turismo is a big franchise in Japan anymore.

I think MGSV and Resi 7 will probably drop off compared to their predecessors too. Probably not to the same extent but titles like Tales and Persona 5 might prove bigger.

small44

Wii U only got MH Tri Ultimate because it could have cross-play/cross-save with 3DS. It notably hasn't got 4 Ultimate and some even think it might be ported to PS4 insteand.

Also Square Enix just announced a new SaGa game exclusive to Vita, that is pretty big, and if rumours are true there's more original stuff on the way including maybe FFX-3.

I think MGSV and Resi 7 will probably drop off compared to their predecessors too. Probably not to the same extent but titles like Tales and Persona 5 might prove bigger.

Still don't think we will get Final fantasy or dragon quest as a multiplatform ps4/ps3/vita maybe late ports

Takao

Banned
Metal Gear is a remarkably consistent franchise in Japan and TPP is also on PS3. I think it'll be fine. I imagine the series might experience some growth in the west too.

StevieP

Banned
Yeah say stuff like this when the PS4 has a thick library in Japan. Right now it's basically just hand-me-down titles. Next year will tell the tale and especially when FFXV hits.

You're basically bringing out the equivalent to the wii u/xbone chalkboard at this point

You're basically bringing out the equivalent to the wii u/xbone chalkboard at this point

How is it in any way equivalent?

WiiU hardly got any third party support and the XB1 is DOA. The PS4 seems to be relatively much better third party support as well as having the added benefit and housing numerous big titles.

StevieP

Banned
How is it in any way equivalent?

WiiU hardly got any third party support and the XB1 is DOA. The PS4 seems to be relatively much better third party support as well as having the added benefit and housing numerous big titles.

Tent pole game releases. Hardware bumps for a while, platform goes back to near irrelevance. Even in this case if it is less so than other platforms. It's pretty comparable, even if it is to a lesser degree because the platform will have big western-geared eastern games like resident evil and some Japanese focused titles like the next tales game.

I'm not saying the platform will be as irrelevant as the wii u or xbone I'm just saying the same chalkboard style tent poles will come and go

small44

Tent pole game releases. Hardware bumps for a while, platform goes back to near irrelevance. Even in this case if it is less so than other platforms. It's pretty comparable, even if it is to a lesser degree because the platform will have big western-geared eastern games like resident evil and some Japanese focused titles like the next tales game.

I'm not saying the platform will be as irrelevant as the wii u or xbone I'm just saying the same chalkboard style tent poles will come and go

Majority of people buy a console not just for one game,one games separately won't do nothing but a lot of games in 2 month will do something

It is a ranking of at closing time December 20, 2014 (accumulated)

01. [PS3] Tales of Zesutiria - 217pt
02. [PSV] magic School high school dunce Out of Order - 60pt
03. [PSV] God Eater 2 Rage burst - 53pt
04. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes darkness dragon and of the world tree castle - 46pt
05. [PSV] Sword Art Online - Lost Song - 39pt
06. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes darkness dragon and of the world tree castle - 33pt
07. [PSV] IA / VT (Oia / visual Tracks) -COLORFUL - 30pt
08. [PS4] Bloodborne Limited Edition - 28pt
09. [3DS] Devil Survivor 2 break record - 28pt
10. [PS4] Disgaea 5 (Limited Edition) - 15pt
11. [PS3] Yakuza 0 oath of location - 15pt
12. [PSV] shepherd -Library Party- (Limited Edition) of the large library - 14pt
13. [PSV] Senran Kagura ESTIVAL VERSUS - girls of selection - Niu input DX Pack - 12pt
14. [PS4] Yakuza 0 oath of location - 11pt
15. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - 10pt
16. [PS4] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - 10pt
17. [PS3] Sword Art Online - Lost Song - - 9pt

Jump Festa effect :D

Principate

Saint Titanfall
PSV

2011: 400k+ (iirc)
2012: 690k
2013: 1224k
2014: 1090k

PS4:

2014: 900k

Yeah no. PS4 actually has meaningful third party support unlike PSV. I expect the Vita to have a notable decline next year.

You know what he means. PS4 will have FFXV, KH3, MGSV, RE7, GTA6, GT7, DQ11 ;)
It will be interesting to see how these big franchises perform on PS4 though especially the ones that are exclusive (not on PS3 at least).

It's a very weird comparison you have there since that 400k is just the launch during Christmas and 690k the first full year, whereas PS4's first year includes it's launch but starts in February.

All in all launch aligned I'd say they were fairly similar anyone have numbers for comparison?

Takao

Banned

04. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes darkness dragon and of the world tree castle - 46pt
06. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes darkness dragon and of the world tree castle - 33pt
12. [PSV] shepherd -Library Party- (Limited Edition) of the large library - 14pt
13. [PSV] Senran Kagura ESTIVAL VERSUS - girls of selection - Niu input DX Pack - 12pt

A Shepherd's Library Party doesn't like something I'd want to attend.

Man.. only one non PlayStation game there.

Darius

Banned
It's a very weird comparison you have there since that 400k is just the launch during Christmas and 690k the first full year, whereas PS4's first year includes it's launch but starts in February.

All in all launch aligned I'd say they were fairly similar anyone have numbers for comparison?

After 39 weeks PSV was at 960k according to Media Create.

That tent pole talk is ridiculous. People always wait for titles before picking up systems. What system selling piece of software has hit the Ps4 in Japan that is in any way equivalent or even close to a Dragon Quest game or Metal Gear of Final Fantasy or Persona or Hot Shots or well anything.

Will a single title push the PS4 to mainstream status? Of course not. But build a library full of titles different people will want and you will are your sales generally climb to a nice steady pace. Someone may not buy a Ps4 right away for DQ Heroes or Bloodborne, but it will put then thought in their head. Especially with a price drop next year and the library getting quite a few desirable titles in 2015 I can see the weekly position of the Ps4 becoming quite good.

It's all about momentum in this industry. 2015 can build up momentum with solid releases throughout the year until the big one drops in Final Fantasy. That is going to be a big one, anyone who thinks otherwise has their head in the sand. And well, if nothing moves the needle then you can truly say console gaming is done for in Japan. Or Atleast will only be a quarter of what it used to be

Man.. only one non PlayStation game there.

cause Devil Survivor 2 is the only strong title unitl February, in March there are planned that Etrian Odissey spin-off and DQ rhythm game
PSV and PS4 have a much strong line-up for Q1 2015, with GE2.5 being probably the top seller game for Vita in 2015

joking reply : there are just niche titles, Devil Survivor 2 alone will sell more than most of that those games combined. And comgnet doesn't count.

Awful numbers all around tbh. From what I see Zestiria is tracking waaaay below Xillia. Big mistake on Namco part to make it PS3 only

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
At the beginning of next year we have many things to wait

Zestiria that will sell much better than Xillia 2 since Xillia 2 wasn't a main entry.
PS4 that is preparing for a big comeback.
We also had PSV starting outselling 3DS constantly until a few months ago but now we have PSV collapsing and PS4 taking its place.

Umm, where else other than 3DS would it do better? On PS4 I think it would have no chance of being near that.

Should've been PS3/PS4. This way:

- The game reach more people
- Get Tales fans on PS4

The PS3 as a platform is on its last legs, by 2016 it will be completely dead. Companies willing to continue pursuing console development needs to make sure the PS4 take off as fast as possible.

Moving the franchise to handhelds is also not a bad idea but I remember the series producer saying they want to keep the main entries on consoles, so that's not an option I guess.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

- Get Tales fans on PS4

The PS3 as a platform is on its last legs, by 2016 it will be completely dead. Companies willing to continue pursuing console development needs to make sure the PS4 take off as fast as possible.

Moving the franchise to handhelds is also not a bad idea but I remember the series producer saying they want to keep the main entries on consoles, so that's not an option I guess.

Tales fans are on Playstation platforms, PS3/PS4 wouldn't change LTD sales a lot. A small increase but nothing spectacular. As long as PS3 keeps getting multiplatform software it won't die easily.

3DS has a weak January / February library, but still has a constant flow of games, and leftovers from holidays. YW2 was selling 40k units in October; YW2.5 might still pull those numbers if the craziness will keep going.

duckroll

So far the pattern we've seen is that western games in Japan sell better on PS4 than PS3 when they're on both, but Japanese games in Japan sell better on PS3 than PS4 when they're on both. I expect that to naturally shift when there are more reasons for those who play Japanese games to move on to PS4, like maybe after Bloodborne, but it really shouldn't affect ToZ much.

AniHawk

So far the pattern we've seen is that western games in Japan sell better on PS4 than PS3 when they're on both, but Japanese games in Japan sell better on PS3 than PS4 when they're on both. I expect that to naturally shift when there are more reasons for those who play Japanese games to move on to PS4, like maybe after Bloodborne, but it really shouldn't affect ToZ much.

i think the 360 userbase in japan moved over the ps4 early on, which helps explain just how awful the xbox one is doing and where that special subset would have gone.

Tales fans are on Playstation platforms, PS3/PS4 wouldn't change LTD sales a lot. A small increase but nothing spectacular. As long as PS3 keeps getting multiplatform software it won't die easily.
Not directed at you specially Chris. But i 've seen this line of thinking shared by others, that is "If both keep getting same titles then it won't make much difference for PS4 bottom line."

Well, think that underestimates people's desire for "new things". What's left of the active home console consumer in Japan will move to the PS4. The device will only go up, even with the same type of support.

Oregano

Not directed at you specially Chris. But i 've seen this line of thinking shared by others, that is "If both keep getting same titles then it won't make much difference for PS4 bottom line."

Well, think that underestimates people's desire for "new things". What's left of the active home console consumer in Japan will move to the PS4. The device will only go up, even with the same type of support.

It could easily go up in the same way the Vita went up though; from terrible to pretty bad isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

Sandfox

- Get Tales fans on PS4

I don't see what new audience would show up by putting it on the PS4.

It is also too late to move the series to handhelds. They should have done it on PSP.

The series did incredibly well on PS3 so I don't see why they would ever do that. It even did well in the West.

ToZ should have been PS3/4 just like how Persona 5 is. NB messed up and now they are going to pay the price in the West at least.

Kysen

There was a recent interview from the producer (Hiroshi Matsuyama) of the new Naruto game at CyberConnect2 and he basically said they ditched PS3 because it is dead in the west.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bW0j9FzuOg

Why is it he was able to come to this conclusion so quickly when other Namco studios are just clinging onto last gen. ToZ being PS3 only is a huge mistake, same with Sega and SR.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
i think the 360 userbase in japan moved over the ps4 early on, which helps explain just how awful the xbox one is doing and where that special subset would have gone.

Actually...yeah, that's almost the same opinion I have on the matter. IMHO, right now, PS4 is an in-between 360 and PS3 in terms of userbase, trending much more on the 360 limit of the spectrum currently.

Tales fans are on Playstation platforms, PS3/PS4 wouldn't change LTD sales a lot. A small increase but nothing spectacular.

Yes but a PS4 version would ensure the fans moves to PS4 faster. The faster fans moves to PS4 the easier it become for Namco to drop PS3 version for future entries down the line.

If Namco want to keep the franchise on consoles eventually they will be forced to develop for PS4, and the earlier they get to it the better.

Oregano

Yes but a PS4 version would ensure the fans moves to PS4 faster. The faster fans moves to PS4 the easier it become for Namco to drop PS3 version for future entries down the line.

If Namco want to keep the franchise on consoles eventually they will be forced to develop for PS4, and the earlier they get to it the better.

They mgiht be waiting until FFXV has established the RPG fanbase properly before jumping onto PS4.

The series did incredibly well on PS3 so I don't see why they would ever do that. It even did well in the West.

ToZ should have been PS3/4 just like how Persona 5 is. NB messed up and now they are going to pay the price in the West at least.

Oh I didn't mean ditch consoles. They could have easily done both and would have been in a better place if they did.

Sandfox

They're probably going to drop PS3 after ToZ regardless.

Top Bottom