• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2015 (Dec 07 - Dec 13)

looking at Gravity Rush Remastered and taking into consideration original Vita 1st week, I wonder if Gravity Rush 2 can open at least 40k hmm

L~A

What drove WiiU this week? Holidays?

Yup, Christmas just around the corner, and Splatoon/Super Mario Maker are what's selling it this year.

The SMM and Splatoon bundles may be the most expensive yet (well... now that's the Pokkén bundle but it's not out yet), but they're selling well (and Nintendo knew it, hence the price).

Busaiku

I find also surprising how mainline Pokémon games are not re-appearing in the chart. This year had only MD and SR as retail releases in the franchise on 3DS, so I thought it would have been reasonable to see people picking up ORAS for example. I guess the Pokémon is really declining in Japan on dedicated devices.
Yeah, Pokémon's in serious trouble right now, no matter how much Serebii tries to convince you otherwise.
Pokémon Shuffle is also doing really poorly by mobile standards.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I find also surprising how mainline Pokémon games are not re-appearing in the chart. This year had only MD and SR as retail releases in the franchise on 3DS, so I thought it would have been reasonable to see people picking up ORAS for example. I guess the Pokémon is really declining in Japan on dedicated devices.

As I've said multiple times, Nintendo holiday titles were always going to be Splatoon and SMM.

Obviously, but usually the higher hardware sales would also help other titles. Instead, we're not even seeing like Mario Kart 8 or something else rise back up into the charts. With pretty decent hardware sales, you'd hope that something other than the big 2 would benefit, right? Maybe JP should have delayed Yoshi into October as well?

maxiell

Yeah, Pokémon's in serious trouble right now, no matter how much Serebii tries to convince you otherwise.

Certainly a lot of warning signs, but they really needed to bring the games into the HD era and most of Nintendo's major franchises are dormant right now as they prepare for a new platform.

Obviously, but usually the higher hardware sales would also help other titles. Instead, we're not even seeing like Mario Kart 8 or something else rise back up into the charts. With pretty decent hardware sales, you'd hope that something other than the big 2 would benefit, right? Maybe JP should have delayed Yoshi into October as well?

I think MK8 reached the critical mass - 1m+ on a <3m platform is a fantastic attached ratio. Splatoon is doing even better but that's an exception more than a rule. Anyway, people are buying Wii U for playing Splatoon and SMM and therefore they don't feel like buying / playing something else - we should see some other Wii U sw increasing in the next weeks. Remember that Week 51 and 52 are the biggest of the year so there's still some room for improvement.

V_Arnold

So, that "ps4 is gotta close in on Wii U by the end of next year" seems a bit less realistic if the rest of the holidays will show similar comparative performances by the two consoles...

13./09. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.07.30} (¥4.320) - 21.064 / 1.181.591 <80-100%> (+110%)

Happy Home Designer is a well-though spin-off: it expands one of the most popular and beloved features of Animal Crossing and feels like an actual game that could appeal to the fanbase. It's selling quite well and it will not have problems in reaching 1.5m units after all. Amiibo Festival, instead, is a game no one asked for and feels like an eShop app re-skinned to be sold at retail along with Amiibos - and it is also a very poor game on top of that. Amiibo Festival could have been a successful spin-off if, for example, instead of a board game it would have been a social game (online, deep Miiverse integration) mixed with some Nintendo Land-esque minigames.

Bruno MB

Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival had an initial shipment of around 100,000 units, this week it failed to chart inside Famitsu top 30, which means that it is below 24,000 units sold.

Yo-Kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Version is another big flop, so much for my 80,000 prediction for the month of December lol

Mory Dunz

Splatoon and Busters are something else.

So, that "ps4 is gotta close in on Wii U by the end of next year" seems a bit less realistic if the rest of the holidays will show similar comparative performances by the two consoles...

It still will. Unless pokeen catches fire like Splatoon heh

Edit
So many flops and so many sw successes makes for a weird thread.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U doing holiday numbers even without a holiday title. Splatoon and Mario Maker magic

Litri

Splatoon and Mario Maker had a great bump but Rhythm Heaven and Home Designer -> WOW!

Question for the experts, considering the bump in Wii U HW this week, where's the limit?
Which week was the one in which it sold the most last year?

Dee Dee

Splatoon and Mario Maker had a great bump but Rhythm Heaven and Home Designer -> WOW!

Question for the experts, considering the bump in Wii U HW this week, where's the limit?

Yes, could someone dig out the old holiday numbers?
I seem to somehow remember maximum weeks around 150 000 consoles, but I might be quite wrong.
Not counting the very first holiday season.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Nope. Max was in 2013, at about 110K units. Wii U was at 72K at this time last year, so I think that's unlikely. I could see the Wii U hitting at least 70K during its best week this year though.

Looking at Wii U hardware, it could get pretty close to 3M just by the end of this year/week 1 2016 (at least according to MC).

I think week 51 is the biggest one of them. Sales should be even higher next week.

V_Arnold

I'd have to disagree.

I see no rationale behind that , sorry. if the gap actually widens in one of the best selling periods of the year, that means that PS4 sales might increase more than Wii U next year, but they will have a bigger gap to get down.

It all boils down to math.
The undertaking will happen, it might just happen later, obviously.

Minecraft is the real story here.
It shows Nintendoian legs during a Nintendoian period, while on Vita. What a powerful brand.

matmanx1

Steins;Gate 0 is looking pretty strong there! And look at Splatoon go. That game just will not quit! Pretty good week for hardware all around as well.

Kid Ying

Week 51 is usually the biggest. Last year, wiiu highest was at the 52, but none of those sold better than this week.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Remember when the life post MK8 and SSB4 was supposed to be over? Who could be a better system seller than those 2 big IPs? Splatoon! The game that came out of nowhere and have driven Wii U on its own this year.

I still can't believe Splatoon legs sometimes. This is a May release, and here we are in December with it at number 3, with no signs of it letting up (sure the bundles help, but still, has it ever been out of the top 10?).

MHX will destroy 4U next weeks at W-O-W comparisons.

Can we have a W-O-W comparison? Thanks.

I still can't believe Splatoon legs sometimes. This is a May release, and here we are in December with it at number 3, with no signs of it letting up (sure the bundles help, but still, has it ever been out of the top 10?).

This really shows how Nintendo is still perfectly able in creating valuable franchises that resist over time, have a wide appeal and help hardware sales. I was mocked when saying that this is still possible but sales speak for themselves - how course Splatoon is not saving Wii U and is not comparable to phenomena such as Brain Training or Wii Sports (in particular worldwide) but it is really carrying the hardware by itself and is showing one of the most surprising performance for a home console game since the PS2 days.

Top Bottom