• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2010 (Dec 20 - Dec 26)

AniHawk said:
No, don't do it. We need Ron Paul in a New Years hat.

It's only for a week AniHawk, but I would miss posting in December NPD though. I just have a feeling now that DS will outsell PSP by less than 100 units for the year :lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Code:
Media Create

Game 1: [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix) {2009.07.11} - 2.318.932 / 4.131.082
Game 2: [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} - 2.557.779 / 4.909.161
Game 3: [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) {2010.12.01} - 1.950.717 / 3.565.976

---------------------------------------------------------------------
|    |       Game 1       |       Game 2       |       Game 3       |
|----|---------|----------|---------|----------|---------|----------|
|Week|  Weekly |    LTD   |  Weekly |    LTD   |  Weekly |    LTD   |
|  1 |2.318.932| 2.318.932|2.557.779| 2.557.779|1.950.717| 1.950.717|
|  2 |  612.671| 2.931.603|  828.580| 3.386.358|  629.541| 2.580.258|
|  3 |  270.305| 3.201.908|  374.589| 3.761.217|  581.543| 3.161.801|
|  4 |  179.612| 3.381.520|  231.638| 3.992.855|  404.175| 3.565.976|
|  5 |  135.649| 3.517.169|  168.541| 4.161.397|         |          |
|  6 |  126.682| 3.643.851|   81.915| 4.243.312|         |          |
|  7 |   79.103| 3.722.954|   68.686| 4.311.998|         |          |
|  8 |   71.318| 3.794.272|   56.719| 4.368.717|         |          |
|  9 |   50.063| 3.844.335|   42.279| 4.410.996|         |          |
| 10 |   36.877| 3.881.212|   39.883| 4.450.879|         |          |
| 11 |   32.603| 3.913.815|   43.227| 4.494.106|         |          |
| 12 |   30.086| 3.943.901|   54.848| 4.548.954|         |          |
| 13 |   22.000| 3.966.000|   79.819| 4.628.773|         |          |
| 14 |   15.961| 3.982.000|  115.438| 4.744.211|         |          |
| 15 |         |          |  164.950| 4.909.161|         |          |
| 16 |         |          |         |          |         |          |
| 17 |         |          |         |          |         |          |
| 18 |    8.312| 4.021.852|         |          |         |          |
| 19 |         |          |         |          |         |          |
| 20 |         |          |         |          |         |          |
| 21 |         | 4.043.218|         |          |         |          |
| 22 |         |          |         |          |         |          |
| 23 |         |          |         |          |         |          |
| 24 |         |          |         |          |         |          |
| 25 |         |          |         |          |         |          |
| 26 |         | 4.109.773|         |          |         |          |
| 27 |         |          |         |          |         |          |
| 28 |         |          |         |          |         |          |
| 29 |         |          |         |          |         |          |
| 30 |         | 4.131.082|         |          |         |          |
|Year|   YTD   |    LTD   |   YTD   |    LTD   |   YTD   |    LTD   |
|  1 |4.109.773| 4.109.773|         |          |         |          |
| LTD|         | 4.131.082|         | 4.909.161|         | 3.565.976|
---------------------------------------------------------------------

2wbtk5e.png

Some of new year's deals

jrb21z.jpg

2zqxz6s.jpg

3509n43.jpg

2500ygg.jpg

35bgtjn.jpg

PSP Go soon for free.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kenka said:
It's always a pleasure, Bla :)

Red guys thowing a party in our thread ?
I used to be here a lot, but the threads kind of died.

This time last year our threads were around 1500 posts. : (

cvxfreak

Nirolak said:
I used to be here a lot, but the threads kind of died.

This time last year our threads were around 1500 posts. : (

Too many trolls got banned, many notorious fanboys have learned to wisely stay quiet, and Segata Sanshiro ran away.

Them's the breaks.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cvxfreak said:
Too many trolls got banned, many notorious fanboys have learned to wisely stay quiet, and Segata Sanshiro ran away.

Them's the breaks.
Well, also there's just not that much to even speculate about.

We're at the part of the generation where things are fairly settled and games aren't going against expectations very much.

A lot of the things that are unexpected are also stuff like "Monster Hunter/Pokemon was an even bigger super hit than the super hit we expected it to be." which generally doesn't lead anywhere discussion wise. :lol

Kenka

Nirolak said:
Well, also there's just not that much to even speculate about.

We're at the part of the generation where things are fairly settled and games aren't going against expectations very much.

A lot of the things that are unexpected are also stuff like "Monster Hunter/Pokemon was an even bigger super hit than the super hit we expected it to be." which generally doesn't lead anywhere discussion wise. :lol

If only we had more to discuss about 3DS.

Of course, nothing will match the trend reversal of 2005, when DS rose to stardom and all the pac-charts began to spread. But I have good hope for further interesting discussions once we'll have more news about high-profile upcoming titles for the beast. I except both Famitsu and MC threads to get back to former glory after the end of next month. Which isn't that far.

Aside of that, some membres have truly brought an outstanding contribution to MC threads lately, and seeing them discussing in-depth details with solid data to back up their arguments is a weekly pleasure. I won't give names but you know who I am talking about :)

Damn you 3DS, come and save us from boredom.

Jokeropia

Busaiku said:
Metroid Prime did 1.5 million in the US alone (and 78k in Japan), so "over 2 million" doesn't mean it's just above it. Unfortunately there are no numbers for Europe, but it did well in the UK (debuted at #1 in the all formats all price chart) and sold enough to get a PAL Player's Choice release so I don't think 2.5 million worldwide is overly optimistic. All we know about Corruption is that it didn't sell another million between April 1 2008 and March 31 2009, but 1.5 million total is not a stretch. Echoes did comparably to Corruption in the US (~750k) so I can't imagine it being that much lower worldwide. Trilogy probably didn't sell much, but it was more than 0.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Maybe this will reveve the thread a bit.Capcom's CEO Haruhiro Tsujimoto at the newest Gemaga.

辻本「3DSも出ますし、そろそろハードを切り替えるタイミングも来ると思います。」10P

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/tenten99/20101231/1293794263

swerve

Chris1964 said:
Maybe this will reveve the thread a bit.Capcom's CEO Haruhiro Tsujimoto at the newest Gemaga.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/tenten99/20101231/1293794263

'I think the time to switch Monster Hunter to a new system is coming' is pretty vague.

I mean, if he expects 3DS to be huge, then switching to 3DS would hardly be a surprise.

Alternately, he could just mean that 3DS is ushering in the next handheld generation, so the time for new hardware is here (be it PSP2, 3DS, jungle... ).

swerve

Oh. Translation is '3DS is releasing, too, so (it seems like) the time to switch to a new platform is coming'

But, the lack of context (of the rest of the interview, or what the ', too,' bit is adding to), makes it hard to tell how significant a statement it is.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I didn't give a translation because it's strangely worded and I'm not sure but it's an answer to a question for Monster Hunter 3 at 2011.

Spiegel

Capcom is betting heavily on the 3DS (SF4,2 Resident Evil, Megaman all probably coming in the first year and a half/two years) and I bet a MH game hasn't been announced because they don't need to announce it yet and knowing that the MH franchise is going to 3DS this early would only benefit Nintendo.

It's either that or Sony will have to pay one of the biggests moneyhats ever.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mario, Pokemon, DQ and MH on one plattform would be epic....hmm, but yeah sony would have to pay a buttload of money to keep MH off the 3DS.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
swerve said:
But, the lack of context (of the rest of the interview, or what the ', too,' bit is adding to), makes it hard to tell how significant a statement it is.

I think if the context was indeed Monster Hunter 3, you could pretty safely read plenty into that comment.

It's a very welcome development for Nintendo. For Sony I'm sure it's disappointing but probably not surprising. They would have had to make a pretty epic moneyhat to keep the next off 3DS.

swerve

gofreak said:
I think if the context was indeed Monster Hunter 3, you could pretty safely read plenty into that comment.

He says 'switch to new hardware is coming' but stops short of saying 'switch to 3DS' (perhaps only using 3DS release as some sort of generational marker).

That's where my caution comes from. It's definitely in the context of MHP3 though (it says there is a full page article about monster hunter portable 3, and when asked about his hopes for 2011, he says he thinks a hardware switch is coming).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
swerve said:
He says 'switch to new hardware is coming' but stops short of saying 'switch to 3DS' (perhaps only using 3DS release as some sort of generational marker).

That's where my caution comes from. It's definitely in the context of MHP3 though (it says there is a full page article about monster hunter portable 3, and when asked about his hopes for 2011, he says he thinks a hardware switch is coming).

I think he'd be a lot more careful with his words if there wasn't an intention to put it on 3DS. He knows precisely the underlying message he's communicating, I think.

Chris1964 said:
So this means MHP3G is going to a new handheld?

That much, at least, is very obvious from his comment.

There's no way it wouldn't be on a next-gen handheld unless it was coming sometime reasonably soon. If it's late 2011 or further out then new hardware (singular or plural, I guess) beckons.

Cipherr

cw_sasuke said:
Mario, Pokemon, DQ and MH on one plattform would be epic....hmm, but yeah sony would have to pay a buttload of money to keep MH off the 3DS.

And I think Sony would. I wouldn't expect MH to switch to 3ds at all. I think Sony would pay whatever was necessary to keep the damn near, sole breadwinner on their hand held. As they should tbh. There is no way they let it go.

Spiegel

gofreak said:

It's a very welcome development for Nintendo. For Sony I'm sure it's disappointing but probably not surprising. They would have had to make a pretty epic moneyhat to keep the next off 3DS.

It's not only "disappointing" for Sony. It's a kick in the balls done by the biggest supporter of the psp (MH) to their next handheld.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Chris1964 said:
It could, but he mentioned 3DS and there are already many meltdowns at Japanese blogs.

Ahh I didn't know he had specifically referred to 3DS.

swerve

Also it seems that gemaga have lots of developers talking about 2010, and their hopes for 2011, in this latest issue. Might have some more interest.

But I really get the feeling that that site (by calling it a bombshell) is being a bit over the top. There is no *announcement* in that interview. Just the feelings of the Monster Hunter producer about the future.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If its multiplattform maybe sony secured the rights for exklusive dlc like ms did with CoD :lol

But yes, didnt expect Capcom to tease MH 3DS this soon - at this point its DQ big, and it will sell on any popular mobile plattform so there is no need to be sensitive i guess....

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Capcom's massive pile of eggs in the 3DS basket reminds me of the early PSP and X360 support. Hopefully it turns out more like the latter than the former for them.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cipherr said:
And I think Sony would. I wouldn't expect MH to switch to 3ds at all. I think Sony would pay whatever was necessary to keep the damn near, sole breadwinner on their hand held. As they should tbh. There is no way they let it go.

There comes a point, as happened with the consoles this gen, where no money you can give will sway a publisher.

In that context - and that probably is the context here - Sony should just makes sure 1) that MH3 is on their next handheld (obviously) and 2) do their level best to persuade the audience for that game that their system is the best choice - via platform-level advantages, co-marketing deals, content deals, whatever. That's how you sell hardware off of multiplatform games. They're splitting the audience, but if that's the less ideal reality they face, then they're left to try and make the most favorable split possible. Nintendo will have the same job.

Man God said:
Considering how many multiple millions a MH 3D port would sell could Sony even pay that much???
It would sell millions of games regardless of the platform. I'm sure Capcom doesn't care all that much about the platform they are releasing the next MonHun on, but making such statements is a good way to bring Sony out of their shell and induce some moneyhatting.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Cipherr said:
Sony would pay whatever was necessary but you can bet Nintendo would do the same. The moneyhatting battle begins.

swerve

Well, the best thing for Capcom - and it's capcom holding all the cards - is probably for the game to be used as this generation's equivalent of the SNES/Genesis SF2 battles. Iterate, switch platform, iterate, switch platform... the brand keeps growing, player numbers keep growing, money keeps growing.

From a platform holder's point of view, it's far more important to Sony than it is to Nintendo I'd say.

Chris1964 said:
Sony would pay whatever was necessary but you can bet Nintendo would do the same. The moneyhatting battle begins.
something tells me the necessary price to Nintendo may be lower than that for Sony

Chris1964 said:

I can't really say I think Sony will win this battle. Mario + Pokemon + DQ + MH on one handheld is an opportunity Nintendo can't miss this time around...

We'll see though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Dragon Quest isn't confirmed for 3DS, or am I missing anything? It could very well be Mario + Pokémon on the one, DQ+MH on the other handheld.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Chris1964 said:

But is there an amount of money that would equal the sales of going platform agnostic?

I can't believe at this point in time that the phantom PSP2 can be that much more powerful than the 3DS to make it such a problem to make two versions.

antonz

It makes strong financial sense for Monster Hunter to jump to the 3DS though I imagine it will be a multiplatform because without MH the PSP /PSP2 is mostly dead in Japan.

Man God said:
But is there an amount of money that would equal the sales of going platform agnostic?

I can't believe at this point in time that the phantom PSP2 can be that much more powerful than the 3DS to make it such a problem to make two versions.

It seems like this may be a hard thing to navigate given the draw of portable local multiplayer. I could be wrong, of course, but two versions of the same game seems like asking for trouble when "getting together to play MH" is what everyone seems to love about it.

Top Bottom