• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

Alrus

Vita might be in for a rough stretch. Wonder what Sony will do. Will they sit on the device and do nothing like they did with the PSP and the PS3?

Also, are those MH sales good or bad? I mean going towards a million is always good, but it is the only one of a few games in the top 20 (other than fading franchises like FF and Izuna) that went down week over week on the biggest shopping week of the season.

I don't think a MH game has went up during christmas before, even MHP3rd. They tend to go down slowly.

Well, MH3G should sell its million shipment this week, or the next week tops. Then there's the 1,200,000 mark for the capcom estimated sales.

Hmm, I think it will be close, but won't pass the million mark before January. Also since Capcom estimates are for shipment, they will easily reach that mark well before march.

loosus

Banned
If you think this is bad, just wait until the Vita becomes more of a digital-only platform, at least in the U.S. Retailers are gonna drop this motherfucker at some point if it becomes more digital. They tolerated the iPod/iPad, but Wal-Mart and the like and not gonna lose 25% of their electronics section to digital without a fight.

Sony really needs to take Nintendo's stance: release anything of any value ONLY at retail. Release only games that could never make it at retail on the eShop. The eShop admittedly sucks, but Nintendo has done a great job at least of making it a complement instead of a replacement for retail.

sajj316

I said it in the other thread. There is no way to spin this. Software sells the system and Nintendo has the right software for it's audience in Japan.

This is a lesson for Sony for the EU and NA launches. At least EU has FIFA and I think the US audience will buy Uncharted. It would have been nice to have a Call of Duty for Vita launch in the US.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Can't say Sony didn't bring this on themselves by having the balls to release a gadget much pricier than the direct competition, with an uncertain software future.

If I want to invest in this 25k platform I'd wanna know what the future holds.

That checkbook needs to be pulled out, debt or no debt.

Edit: what ducky said.

orioto

Good Art™
What was worrying me last week is a lot more worrying thisi one.. More psp sold than vitas. Plus if this isn't a shortage problem, the Vita is going to have a rough rough time before any killer app being released on it one day...

I was worried that the people who made the success of the psp in its second life weren't interested at all in a next gen portable...

Alrus

By the way, I'm going to guess Zelda is in the top 30 and that it probably grew in sales compared to last week. But it'll be a small growth, and the sales just aren't high enough to make it in the top 20.

Also did Just Dance Wii have one of the biggest week to week growth ever? +120% is huuuuge!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
There was really no reason from an analytical standpoint to expect Vita to do well right now, but I thought it would maintain launch momentum a lot better than this.

Can't say Sony didn't bring this on themselves by having the balls to release a gadget much pricier than the direct competition, with an uncertain software future.

$250 was a great price for the tech and features you get and when Sony announced it the 3DS was also $250. The 3DS price drop just killed them.

duckroll

Vita will probably have a rough first year, but it isn't unreasonable to think that some major (second half) 2012 titles are still unannounced. Sony is never going to be the handheld market leader, but they should at least aim to recapture some of the niches that the PSP had in Japan.

I don't think the hardware is automatically doomed in the long run. Just that based on what consumers know now, it's unappealing in the near future. As long as it remains that way, it won't take off. It needs strong announcements, but I don't see that happening anytime soon from Japan, since developers are banking on the 3DS now. I don't see it happening in the west either because developers aren't too fond of portables.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
As much as I want the PSVita to fail, you guys need to chill with the DOOM & GLOOM. If it's still this "bad" a year from now then you might have an article or two to write but right now it's waaay too early to talk about pulling the plug.

Erethian

cvxfreak should be adding Vita predictions to his repertoire.

cvxfreak said:
If Sony makes, say, 500K Vitas for launch in December and then sells them all within those 2 weeks, then that would be amazing. If they made 200,000 or 300,000 and sold them all... eh.

I can't imagine that 500K selling through in 2 weeks with that launch lineup and no UMD backwards compatibility, AND with the 3DS's December lineup being packed with franchise hits, AND with the original PSP still doing well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30952605&postcount=453

kswiston

Why were people predicting Vita to be the victor?

Even if it had MH exclusive this still doesn't make any sense.

Yup.

The biggest franchises in Japan are what?

Mario
Mario Kart
Pokemon
Dragon Quest
Monster Hunter
Maybe Animal Crossing (we'll see how the next handheld version sells first)

Even before the Monster Hunter announcement, 3DS was always going to be the exclusive (handheld) home of 4 of those 6 franchises, with Dragon Quest being a good bet at some point as well.

1-D_FTW

Well, to be fair, the competition was 249.99 when they announced things.

Target was recently giving 20 gift cards with pre-orders in the US. I don't really see how this is going to bomb any less than the 3DS was in the US. It ideally would have launched at 199.99 with a built in 16GB card. Even that probably would have had some stigma with the 3DS now at 169.99, but it would have been a chance.

I see nothing but ugliness till they can do global price drops. They just better hope they can do it before developer support dries up.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It needs strong announcements, but I don't see that happening anytime soon from Japan, since developers are banking on the 3DS now. I don't see it happening in the west either because developers aren't too fond of portables.

I think this is what Sony really has to hope for- that the 3rd party 3DS projects underperform. If they do well, I see no business reason for 3rd party publishers/developers to move over.

Somnid

Ouch. Sony's bleeding money they don't need another huge loss-leader but what can they do? They next 3 months of 3DS are only going to tighten the thumbscrews.

I used to think of Sony as one of the big invincible tech companies but it's looking more and more like buyout or big asset sell-off is in their future.

They should have prepared a strong system seller IP for the PSV in japan, of course it will sell badly, I'm shocked why people didn't see this one coming and acting like it's doomed.. enough with the drama already.

As for FFXIII-2... I guess it will reach 800k in japan and that's it, it will be a mirecal if the game breaks 2m worldwide.

jeremy1456

Yup.

The biggest franchises in Japan are what?

Mario
Mario Kart
Pokemon
Dragon Quest
Monster Hunter
Maybe Animal Crossing (we'll see how the next handheld version sells first)

Even before the Monster Hunter announcement, 3DS was always going to be the exclusive (handheld) home of 4 of those 6 franchises, with Dragon Quest being a good bet at some point as well.

Exactly.

It just doesn't make sense that so many thought the Vita would topple the 3DS. I know I've said it time and time again, but it's so absolutely absurd.

It will begin anew next gen.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
maybe, 250 launch 3DS was a plan to.trap Sony into a false sense of security.

i think it's more likely it was a plan to maximize profit - that's how most companies work!

I haven't agreed with Sony's philosophy towards handheld devices from day one

oh - what is that philosophy then?

duckroll

I think this is what Sony really has to hope for- that the 3rd party 3DS projects underperform. If they do well, I see no business reason for 3rd party publishers/developers to move over.

Even if they don't, I don't see compelling reasons for most of them to suddenly switch to making Vita exclusives overnight. The portable market right now is a bit more complicated, especially in Japan, and I think publishers will be banking on more multiplatform releases.

The biggest problem Sony has is not actually the 3DS itself, but the fact that the second choice developers have other than making 3DS games, is to simply continue supporting the PSP instead. That could really bite them in the ass.

ElFly

Also, are those MH sales good or bad? I mean going towards a million is always good, but it is the only one of a few games in the top 20 (other than fading franchises like FF and Inazuma) that went down week over week on the biggest shopping week of the season.

They certainly could be better.

The important thing is whether it keeps selling through its life, because it'd mean that the MH fanbase made the transfer to the 3DS from the PSP. MH3G is there to ease the transfer and prepare the market for MH4.

It's hasty to call the MH3G sales level a problem at this point.

Erethian

One thing Sony has to hope for is that it doesn't three years for the fortunes of the system to turn around, like it did with the PSP.

No matter how many times I see it, the Wii holiday boost still blows me away.
3DS is still going strong. Gundam had a decent start.

I don't know what worse for the Vita, the low second week, the PSP>Vita, or the fact that there is no Vita game in the top 20.
Curious to see how Sony will try to turn this around.

Top Bottom