• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

Neo C.

This is a repeat of the DS vs PSP, it seems. And even I was sure that this time Nintendo would be toppled.
How could you be sure? The most optimistic prediction was like a head to head race, and even that was crazy considering the head start and the software. I don't even need to count the price drop in (which was a predictable move).

M-PG71C

I think SQEX has other things to worry about right now, in specific, FF XIII-2 poor performance. Not surprising, but still.

That and most of their announcements has been 3DS titles. FFX is a HD remix that is a multi-console release. I don't blame them for putting it on the Vita, there's no risk. But still.

beril

I was betting on all three big 3DS games hitting a million next week but I clearly underestimated Mario. And Monster Hunter might need two more weeks.

Smaller drop than I expected from FFXIII-2, how much of a bomba price slash did it get? Also Inazuma had a very small drop. Level 5 might not be quite as doomed as people think

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
04./02. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 92,865 / 750,000 (-32%)
04./02. [3DS] Monster Hunter Tri G (Capcom) {2011-12-10} - 155,069 / 885,456 (-26%)

Oh God, the NA launch numbers for Vita will be a legendary failure. At least a holiday launch could've sparked some buzz, but February is a dead month for everything not called iPad.

What does this mean for PS4? :-0

Well, MH3G should sell its million shipment this week, or the next week tops. Then there's the 1,200,000 mark for the capcom estimated sales.
Yeah, it's going to miss the million mark for this week's sales. :(

Week 1, 2012 is on lock.

As for Capcom, they can easily ship another 200k in the upcoming weeks, for all we know, they may already have shipped more than a million copies.

wotta

You have to remember that vita has only been out 9 days, not a full two weeks. Therefore realistically it has sold just under 400,000 units in that time, which doesn't seem too bad to me.

Jokeropia

Haha, I did consider the failure to sell out at launch a bit ominous, but I didn't expect to drop this quickly and in the biggest week of the year at that.

You have to remember that vita has only been out 9 days, not a full two weeks. Therefore realistically it has sold just under 400,000 units in that time, which doesn't seem too bad to me.

Until you realize this was launch period.

In the busiest shopping period of the year.

Dragon

Banned
Oh God, the NA launch numbers for Vita will be a legendary failure. At least a holiday launch could've sparked some buzz, but February is a dead month for everything not called iPad.

Vita was never going to set North America on fire. I think it'll struggle even worse than PSP.

What does this mean for PS4? :-0

I don't think it has anything to do with PS4. PS3 is selling well worldwide, it'll be fine whenever it comes out.

Until you realize this was launch period.

In the busiest shopping period of the year.

Do we know anything about shipments and sell through?

DarkMehm

Sony has really slow and painful system-launches since the PS2, why did people expect anything else from the Vita? I'm honestly not surprised at those numbers.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
With those upcoming software releases Nintendo and 3rd Partys will keep new 3DS owners busy....there wont be much reason fpr them to pick another, even more expensive handheld sooner.

Rough times ahead indeed, but maybe Sony can suprise us with some relevant announcements.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

People are forgetting how many Vita's were sold via download only! ;)

Vita pricecut incoming?

.... are you guys actually serious? After 12 days on the market?

Now pile on Monster Hunter on top of this mess.

Seriously a MH game on 3DS is like going up against a guy with a knife with a fucking army of tanks.

At least make it a fair fight...give the guy a chance.

The first 2 days at least 320.000 sales
the next 7 days 72.000 sales

That is not a great sign.......

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I think I got it right when I bought a 3DS

yao-ming-meme.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Look at the positive side. It'll sell 70k+ in the US in its second week. And in the EU all they have to do for promotion is show the Vita running FIFA non-stop and it too will sell more than 70k in its second week there.

Right?

M-PG71C

Sony has really slow and painful system-launches since the PS2, why did people expect anything else from the Vita? I'm honestly not surprised at those numbers.

I wouldn't call the PS2 launch painful, at all. I'm sure Sony would kill to have another PS2 launch/performance.

Dragon

Banned
And it's fair to also consider that the 3DS performed much better when it launched, at the same price, far removed from the holidays.

I know it's usually how GAF works but why does it have to be one or the other? Last gen proved there's room for more than one handheld. The Vita isn't going to outperform the 3DS, if it performs as well as the PSP did it will be incredibly successful. Why can't that be enough?

I don't think anyone here wants to buy kart armor.

I'm sure a lot of people would pay five bucks for a track or two. Maybe adapt another classic one?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
And it's fair to also consider that the 3DS performed much better when it launched, at the same price, far removed from the holidays.

vs pretty limited competition.

No matter which way you slice it - the Vita's biggest problem is the 3DS , it's price and it's games. That's what's doing the real damage.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wonder if we will see a similar senario with the Vita like we saw with the 3DS, first months of "doomed" talk, then something drastic happeneds and sales pick up.

Why were people predicting Vita to be the victor?

Even if it had MH exclusive this still doesn't make any sense.
I'm pretty sure that was back in the very early days, also with the 25k Yen VS 25k Yen pricetags. I dont think that it was that far fetched back then with the info we knew.

jeremy1456

No matter which way you slice it - the Vita's biggest problem is the 3DS , it's price and it's games. That's what's doing the real damage.

The PSP was in full swing when it came out.

I know it's 'last gen' but it did have both advantages you point out.

Marco1

I wish Sony would just concentrate on PS4 and stop this vita nonsense.
I know it looks like a great machine but it just seems wrong.

Opiate

Obviously Vita and 3DS hardware are the big story for the week, but I'm interested in analysis of the smaller stories since the big ones are getting covered ad nauseum.

How good a start is this for Warriors Orochi 2? What are reasonably comparable software figures?

How good a start is this for Gundam 3D?

And PSP. If the share between 3DS and DS was the same as well, we would be looking at around 300K DS and 200K 3DS now.

Alrus

And the 3DS did 600k in 9 days, in february, with a much worse launch lineup.

Dropping under 100k in the busiest week and on your second week is pretty bad. Being beaten by your predecessor is also a very bad sign, especially when that predecessor still has big titles coming up.

NIghtWolf

Meh, calm down in the worst case it only means there is not market for a $300 game machine. Which can be fixed with a price drop like nintendo did with the 3ds.

Top Bottom