• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
There is still a Mario Party 9 on Wii. Don't know if this will bump the hardware (probably not), but never undersestimate Mario. And it will interesting to see, the franchise has been on hold for almost a generation now.

psp>psv is the only surprise here.

PSP > PSV is not a surprise at all. It makes total sense actually.

edit - beaten by Takao

Takao

Banned
The troubling part about it is that PSP is essentially an additional competitor since there's no straight forward BC bridge toward Vita. If there were Sony could phase out the PSP and more easily move the audience to Vita.

I imagine at this stage in PSP's life the majority of new purchases are coming from/towards children. It has reached a mass point where the hardware is cheap enough (though still more expensive than a 3DS) and the software library is strong enough that killing it would likely only create more sales for 3DS. I don't think the people buying a PSP in 2012 would've bought a Vita had that been their only option. As it stands now, Vita doesn't have Monster Hunter, LBX, and a dozens of Gundam games.

Spiegel

The only surprise here is that PSP still selling great despite not having a price drop in more than 2 years, having the successor on the market and being more expensive than the 3DS.

Sony should have dropped the price to 12999Y and shouldn't have bothered to release the Vita until they could price the Vita lower.

Meanwhile Vita is tanking hard and will be doing sub 10k soon.

Kai

I know Vita didn't do smashing well - but the onslaught of the Playstation family is helping out Sony in the motherland I guess? /PS PR Blurb...

LOL....

Nintendo - 57.5%
Sony - 41.9%
Microsoft - 0.6%

Celine

The only surprise here is that PSP still selling great despite not having a price drop in more than 2 years, having the successor on the market and being more expensive than the 3DS.

Sony should have dropped the price to 12999Y and shouldn't have bothered to release the Vita until they could price the Vita lower.

Disagree.
How much time do you want Sony give to Nintendo to build up its platform ecosystem ?

3DS finally fell bellow DS substantially; any explanation for it?

Look post #2454

Erethian

With Vita and PSP sales launch aligned, PSP at this point was at 352,295. But it also did 132,757 in its fourth week, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Vita start falling behind.

Or if not next week, definitely the week after.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Then they would have to launch with probably even less support in a 3DS dominated market. 8-10 million 3DS userbase vs. new launched vita doesnt sound like good situation for Sony. Especially if it meant also delaying the western launch even further.

I know Vita didn't do smashing well - but the onslaught of the Playstation family is helping out Sony in the motherland I guess? /PS PR Blurb...

LOL....

Nintendo - 57.5%
Sony - 41.9%
Microsoft - 0.6%
indeed Sony week. Overall, pretty good I would say.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

PSP's here come in a starter pack with a memory card for the same price as a 3DS. It has an unbelievably good library and can also play PSOne games. It will continue to sell here like this for quite a while until Vita's library takes over. Look at the PS2..

Datschge

I imagine at this stage in PSP's life the majority of new purchases are coming from/towards children. It has reached a mass point where the hardware is cheap enough (though still more expensive than a 3DS) and the software library is strong enough that killing it would likely only create more sales for 3DS. I don't think the people buying a PSP in 2012 would've bought a Vita had that been their only option. As it stands now, Vita doesn't have Monster Hunter, LBX, and a dozens of Gundam games.

The problem is not so much PSP being the more economic choice (it is) but that the PSP audience is quite separated from the Vita one, meaning that everyone who jumps in now with PSP has little advantage from moving upward to Vita (instead e.g. 3DS) later on. Vita lacking some PSP games is just a symptom of that.

Luigiv

3DS finally fell bellow DS substantially; any explanation for it?

Fell below DS substantially, when? What are we comparing too. What is this trend of not completing your bloody sentences? Both you and Mpl90 are doing it. It's quite frankly retarded and counter productive to discussion.

Takao

Banned
a final fantasy viita logo would get people pumped.

Final Fantasy VII R on Vita would do a lot to restore confidence. But I don't think Square Enix has it in them, nor do I think Sony has that money in their wallet to make it happen.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Spiegel said:
Or they should have had Capcom release the HD thing for Vita(instead of PS3) for launch and they'd have likely killed PSP as well as kept Vita float higher at the same time.

Then again maybe that's exactly what they didn't want (kill PSP that is), yet. One would think they'd remember how that strategy cost them with PS3 though.

Erethian

Fell below DS substantially, when? What are we comparing too. What is this trend of not completing your bloody sentences? Both you and Mpl90 are doing it. It's quite frankly retarded and counter productive to discussion.

They're comparing the 3DS sales to that of the DS in December 2005.

But next week is when the DS started to hit major shortages, so the 3DS will pull ahead again.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Fell below what DS did in Week 52 of 2005.

However, I'm doing the new thread.

Datschge

Vita doesn't seem to be doing anything to change that right now.

Indeed. Right now Vita is essentially a money sink giving itself a bad image while its precursor is still doing well. Once the PSP doesn't sell as well anymore Vita will have both more pressure to do much better as well as a bad reputation from these earlier months to fight again.

it's probably because of the monster hunter vita news. it would explain current vita sales. people are holding off until it comes out.
oh, you.jpeg

fell bellow week 52 DS?

No new software this week, compared with two heavy hitters being released in 2005.
I see. what was released back then?

But next week is when the DS started to hit major shortages, so the 3DS will pull ahead again.
Well, that won't be really indicative though, why did DS hit major shortages anyway?

Celine

Vita doesn't seem to be doing anything to change that right now.
reggie.jpeg

It's how Sony decided to design PSP successor.

I still maintain that would be fool for Sony to wait release the system long enough for Nintendo to build a core userbase big enough to attract most of the development resources.

Asked about year-end sales targets for Japan, Kawano would only say that he expects the first 500,000 to sell out quickly. Sony is including a 100 hour pre-paid 3G usage fee with the first 500,000 3G units.
http://jp.reuters.com/article/mostV...2920110915?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0
http://andriasang.com/comy7r/

Vita LTD - 440k

But is he talking calendar or fiscal year?

So Vita will be sub 20k next week probably.

When can we expect the next wave of games to boost it?
01/19
StarStrike Delta
WipEout 2048

01/26
Tales of Innocence R

02/02
Ragnarok Odyssey

02/09
Gravity Daze
Sumioni

02/16
Kyoukugen Dasshutsu ADV: Zennin Shiboudesu

02/23
@Field
Little Busters! Converted Edition
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Reality Fighters

03/13
Unit 13

Takao

Banned
I know no one cares but despite debuting higher, Inazuma Eleven Strikers 2012 has now fallen behind its predecessors. I'll dig up stats on Go in a bit.

Top Bottom