• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

Portugeezer

untitled-1x2rm1.jpg

Sounds familiar.

Takao

Banned
I wouldn't hold my breath either
if it was SONY. Nintendo will be the publisher and do the marketing. What did Sony do again for MHP3rd?

Besides create an HD port program and making it the centerpiece, bringing it out for the world to see when they unveiled their new handheld, and made a custom PSP to celebrate the game's release? Oh, I guess nothing.

Erethian

Besides create an HD port program and making it the centerpiece, bringing it out for the world to see when they unveiled their new handheld, and made a custom PSP to celebrate the game's release? Oh, I guess nothing.

I assumed he was talking about SCEE and SCEA.

PS Vita did pretty good. Overall a strong week for Sony -- though PSP is clearly going to hinder Vita's adoption in the first half of 2012.

3DS is a machine, but that's expected.

gogogow

Exactly. And damn at moving those goal posts! I guess that's the only thing you can say, since Sony did shit for the game for the rest of the world.

Monster Hunter hitting a milli next week, then 1.1 and I'm still waiting for the western localization.

LEGGO

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Don't you love region-locks?

Takao

Banned
Exactly. And damn at moving those goal posts! I guess that's the only thing you can say, since Sony did shit for the game for the rest of the world.

The game wasn't localized, and Sony hasn't localized a third party game since the PS1. I don't know what you were expecting. Capcom has come out making the decision for MHP3 not coming over sounding like it was very much their's. Sony could've marketed the game in the west, as they did with MGS: PW, but that would require you know, the game to actually be released here.

Pre-2005?

1380+-+Momotaro+Railway+12+WEST+Chapter+I+waited+too%21+-+PS2
Maybe you went specifically looking for that game knowing it was an example of a later fix--but I'd like to say that in general if anyone sees anything like that, it's probably because I made a mistake. It's especially easy to attribute a new number to the wrong game ID when dealing with the yearly Top Largenumber lists.

I keep meaning to set up some pages to make catching things like that easier. Point out games that have totals appearing to go down, weekly numbers that don't add up, things like that.
Bleh...

- Joshua, Garpah is missing DSi's Famitsu sales for this week - 2343 (which I discovered because I went to compare our figures).
Thanks. Something must've been a little different about that week since the parser continued doing DSi fine after that. In there now, anyway.

The game wasn't localized, and Sony hasn't localized a third party game since the PS1. I don't know what you were expecting. Capcom has come out making the decision for MHP3 not coming over sounding like it was very much their's. Sony could've marketed the game in the west, as they did with MGS: PW, but that would require you know, the game to actually be released here.

On PSP yes, and that's due to the current state of the PSP marketplace. Freedom Unite got a big push in 2009 (complete with tv ads) but failed to hit targets, so that probably didn't help.

On PS3 though, Sven pretty much said Capcom tried to get the game out but SCEA and SCEE wouldn't approve it as is (they wanted trophies) and wouldn't support them at all with Ad-Hoc Party (meaning Capcom would need to completely redo the online infrastructure). Maybe if Sony's western divisions were more accommodating with Monster Hunter, Vita wouldn't have lost it's rumored 3rd HD port (and the franchise at large)?

jcm

Maybe you went specifically looking for that game knowing it was an example of a later fix--but I'd like to say that in general if anyone sees anything like that, it's probably because I made a mistake. It's especially easy to attribute a new number to the wrong game ID when dealing with the yearly Top Largenumber lists.

I keep meaning to set up some pages to make catching things like that easier. Point out games that have totals appearing to go down, weekly numbers that don't add up, things like that.

Thanks. Something must've been a little different about that week since the parser continued doing DSi fine after that. In there now, anyway.

If I understand your schema correctly, this finds games with a weekly sum greater than LTD.

Code:
select gameID, tracker, sum(SalesWeekly), max(SalesLTD)
from SoftwareWeekly 
group by gameID, tracker
having max(SalesLTD) < sum(SalesWeekly)

Takao

Banned
On PSP yes, and that's due to the current state of the PSP marketplace. Freedom Unite got a big push in 2009 (complete with tv ads) but failed to hit targets, so that probably didn't help.

On PS3 though, Sven pretty much said Capcom tried to get the game out but SCEA and SCEE wouldn't approve it as is (they wanted trophies) and wouldn't support them at all with Ad-Hoc Party (meaning Capcom would need to completely redo the online infrastructure). Maybe if Sony's western divisions were more accommodating with Monster Hunter, Vita wouldn't have lost it's rumored 3rd HD port (and the franchise at large)?

Trophies are not exactly a hard thing to implement, and given Capcom sprung for an online mode in Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom (a game that sold worse than most if not all the western releases of the PSP MHs) they could've done that stuff themselves. Sony will help you market your games if need be, but they aren't going to help you make them.

Trophies are not exactly a hard thing to implement, and given Capcom sprung for an online mode in Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom (a game that sold worse than most if not all the western releases of the PSP MHs) they could've done that stuff themselves. Sony will help you market your games if need be, but they aren't going to help you make them.
Bottom line, Nintendo supported Tri above and beyond worldwide, SCE supported 3rd above and beyond in Japan while SCEA/SCEE threw up bullshit demands. It's probably not the decisive factor, but I'm sure Capcom took that into account somewhat when deciding future moves and Sony did themselves no favors by putting up any resistance in any market. They should've made sure 3rd HD was as effortless as possible to release overseas, and if that means overlooking trophies and updating their own software (Ad-Hoc Party) then that should've been an imperative from on high. This is an instance where SCE's fractured structure definitely puts them at a disadvantage versus Nintendo.

Spiegel

Bottom line, Nintendo supported Tri above and beyond worldwide, SCE supported 3rd above and beyond in Japan while SCEA/SCEE threw up bullshit demands. It's probably not the decisive factor, but I'm sure Capcom took that into account somewhat when deciding future moves and Sony did themselves no favors by putting up any resistance in any market. They should've made sure 3rd HD was as effortless as possible to release overseas, and if that means overlooking trophies and updating their own software (Ad-Hoc Party) then that should've been an imperative from on high. This is an instance where SCE's fractured structure definitely puts them at a disadvantage versus Nintendo.

Surely Sony already knew about MH3G when Capcom tried to release MHP3HD outside of Japan and maybe that's why they did not give a fuck about the western release of a psp game in high res for the PS3.

Surely Sony already knew about MH3G when Capcom tried to release MHP3HD outside of Japan and maybe that's why they did not give a fuck about the western release of a psp game in high res for the PS3.
They should care, greasing the wheels in any capacity never hurts, but making things harder than they have to be does. If this is Sony's approach, then they deserve to lose the franchise. Capcom wants to grow MH outside Japan, and right now it seems like Nintendo's the only one even willing to help them in that area.

Alrus

They should care, greasing the wheels in any capacity never hurts, but making things harder than they have to be does. If this is Sony's approach, then they deserve to lose the franchise. Capcom wants to grow MH outside Japan, and right now it seems like Nintendo's the only one even willing to help them in that area.

To be fair, MPH3rd HD wouldn't have been the best way to grow the franchise in the west...

Spiegel

MHP3HD is a psp game in high res. It was going to bomb badly

Takao

Banned

Because MHP3rd HD would've been the game to grow the franchise outside of Japan...

I also don't see how asking Capcom to make their standards is some form of bullshit demands. It's just Capcom being a lazy company, something they've done very well for many years. If they cared they would've made an online mode, and put in trophies. They did more for Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, and that's Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom.

Because MHP3rd HD would've been the game to grow the franchise outside of Japan...

I also don't see how asking Capcom to make their standards is some form of bullshit demands. It's just Capcom being a lazy company, something they've done very well for many years. If they cared they would've made an online mode, and put in trophies. They did more for Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, and that's Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom.
Once again, I just don't think it's a good idea for Sony to be throwing any roadblocks in Capcom's way when it comes to Monster Hunter. Like I said, this likely wasn't a decisive factor, but it doesn't help and it really isn't the approach Sony should be taking for desirable 3rd party franchises. If Nintendo ever did something similar, people would be crying murder.

Road

Dengeki Sales, Dec 19 - 25, 2011 (Week 52)

01. (03) [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) - 254,347 / 1,033,685 (+44%)
02. (__) [PS3] Warriors Orochi 2 (Koei Tecmo) - 200,521 / 200,521 [ST: ~70% => 286,000]
03. (04) [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) - 173,789 / 1,001,051 (+53%)
04. (02) [3DS] Monster Hunter Tri G (Capcom) - 156,911 / 876,721 (-19%)
05. (06) [WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Nintendo) - 116,679 / 500,104 (+79%)
06. (01) [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 103,012 / 629,556 (-80%)
07. (09) [WII] Just Dance Wii (Nintendo) - 100,124 / 425,229 (+113%)
08. (__) [3DS] SD Gundam G Generation 3D (Bandai Namco) - 81,860 / 81,860
09. (__) [WII] Inazuma Eleven Strikers 2012 Xtreme (Level 5) - 73,116 / 73,116
10. (11) [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) - 67,123 / 2,133,271 (+63%)
11. (12) [NDS] Magician's Quest: Osharena Mahoutsukai (Konami) - 58,905 / 143,274 (+47%)
12. (__) [PSP] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable: The Gears of Destiny (Bandai Namco) - 55,620 / 55,620
13. (17) [NDS] One Piece: Gigant Battle! 2 New World (Bandai Namco) - 54,894 / 275,319 (+82%)
14. (05) [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine (Level 5) - 52,535 / 131,797 (-34%)
15. (13) [WII] PokePark 2: Beyond the World (Pokemon Co.) - 52,228 / 201,568 (+42%)
16. (16) [WII] Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Nintendo) - 51,356 / 111,434 (+68%)
17. (__) [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition (Square Enix) - 47,327 / 47,327
18. (20) [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Ketteiban (Bandai Namco) - 47,172 / 143,951 (+71%)
19. (26) [WII] Go Vacation (Bandai Namco) - 46,482 / ?
20. (30) [WII] Rhythm Heaven Fever (Nintendo) - 46,115 / ?

*ST: Sell-through => estimated copies shipped.

Other software (first week / LTD):
2005-12-08 [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 222,000 / 3,810,000
2008-04-03 [PS2] Warriors Orochi Maou Sairin (Koei) - 228,000 / 445,000
2009-03-12 [PS3] Warriors Orochi Z (Koei) - 104,000 / 276,000

[3DS] Hardware - 484,000 / 4,090,000
[PSV] Hardware - 78,000 / 396,000

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/444/444141/
http://megalodon.jp/2012-0106-2208-29/news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html

Week 51: 12-12~12-18

Top Bottom