• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2012 (Dec 17 - Dec 23)

Road

ibzqU1ah0vKBwX.gif

3DS hardware: 9.5 million
PS3 hardware: 8.7 million

Best selling 3DS game: 2.1 million (ACNL)
Best selling PS3 game: 1.9 million (FFXIII)

Next goal:

Wii hardware: 12.6 million
Best selling Wii game: 4.4 million (NSMBWii)

Go_Ly_Dow

07. / 02. [PS3] Yakuza 4: Heir to the Legend (Sega) - 33.936 / 501.095 (-59%)

14./04. [PS3] Yakuza 5 # <ADV> (Sega) {2012.12.06} (¥8.800) - 40.187 / 479.885 (-52%)

3 weeks in and currently trailing behind Y4. With the longer development cycle I guess the returns won't be as great for Y5. Unless of course the holiday period gives it boost, or longer legs.

WiiU is gamecube 2.0
WiiU+in+terms+of+GCN

GameCube did have better numbers the last few weeks of 2001, though, with SSBM the main pusher and Animal Crossing/Pikmin as support.
2012-12-03

lol
No, seriously, what have other console Wario titles done?
Ware titles have done swell, especially considering the first was a GCN game very much based on the GBA game.
Smooth+Moves

The others, nothing to write home about.
Shake

DrWong said:
If we're not expecting Wii sales performances, low sales (lower than December) are inevitable, unless I'm missing something. By how much will it drop is the real question. Will ze Wii U be "Vitazified" in January?
It's already doing miles better than Vita, but I could see it going DS-fied. It spent a lot of 2005 in the 20s and 30sK before a few things really caught on.
2012-01-02

Thoraxes

ibzqU1ah0vKBwX.gif

Next goal:

The ACNL line gets me every time.

test_account

XP-39C²
Would be cool if the eventual second GamePad could be used as the second off TV screen!
It should be possible i guess :) At least if Nintendo makes some HDMI cable that can be connected to a 2nd controller. Maybe streaming the picture will also work, but then the framerate will be cut in half.

Of course you will need a tv for some games. But off tv play is still a great selling feature for densely packed urban dwellers.
That is true. I just wanted to say that buying a WiiU without having a TV could quickly become a hurdle. But it also depends on exactly which games one want to play.

Wii U will drop like a rock in Q1, but I don't think we will see 10k numbers, more like 20-30k. Of course, it depends on how Nintendo planned its releases, because now there's nothing and that's worrying; however, they could release Wario Ware, Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
ibzqU1ah0vKBwX.gif

Next goal:

MK7: Yee! I'm gonna get the 2 millions very soon!!!
SM3DLand: No, I won't let you!
MH3G: Ehi, don't forget about me.
All the trinity: I'll get there! No, I will!
Animal Crossing: Ehi guys. Ups, sorry, gotta go

*Animal Crossing does two millions very quickly, the others don't talk anymore*

I still think Nintendo doesn't particularly mind what sales minutiae are experienced for Wii U over the next year or so.

They just sent it out into the wild with Mario and Monster Hunter in time for some decent Christmas sales, while they put all their might into 3DS, which has now successfully killed Vita (unless Sony goes into overdrive resuscitation mode, which they are unlikely to do), and is battling on against iOS/iPhone, its biggest competitor.

Meanwhile, Wii U has a good 12 months, possibly 18-24 months to build positive word of mouth before PS4 threatens it (and 720 in the West), at which time they will have the software line-up and advertising budget (and probable price cut, colors and bundles etc) ready to go, to stifle the PS4.

Nintendo is doomed with a 4K drop this week = embarrassingly short-sighted, or trolling.

Having said that, I may be wrong, and if a Wii U heavy Nintendo Direct is announced for this weekend, that could mean they are sweating bullets.
What in the world can they do to revive it at this point? Maybe they can beg Iwata to double the price of the 3DS. Then they'll be roughly on par sales-wise.

Anyone remember the guy I avatar bet with? If you see this, PM me or post the avatar.

By the way, not to make excuses (seriously), but I didn't actually realize it was for Christmas week when making the bet. Almost everything went up significantly, even Vita went up 50%, so it was definitely not a good week for that bet. Ironically, Wii U was the only hardware that didn't go up (excluding 360) which probably isn't a good sign.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Anyone remember the guy I avatar bet with? If you see this, PM me or post the avatar.

By the way, not to make excuses (seriously), but I didn't actually realize it was for Christmas week when making the bet. Almost everything went up significantly, even Vita went up 50%, so it was definitely not a good week for that bet. Ironically, Wii U was the only hardware that didn't go up (excluding 360) which probably isn't a good sign.

Aaaaaaaah, classic Heavy(tm).

BowieZ

Banned
600K :-O That will be almost impossible to beat.
It needs droves of moms and grandmoms to go out and buy one - in addition to their iPad - to play simple casual games or wholesome apps like Brain Training/Sudoku/Cooking Guides/Tour Guides/SwapNote... and content that vastly improves upon or sets it apart from iOs... I wonder if any of this is being planned right now at Nintendo SPD/SDD/NSD, let alone the marketing campaign it would require.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hehe, i like the .gif chart :) Not just with the Animal Crossing at the end, but cool to see how the bars climb like that.

What in the world can they do to revive it at this point? Maybe they can beg Iwata to double the price of the 3DS. Then they'll be roughly on par sales-wise.
Get more games (Q1 is already a good improvement eventhough that there arent any huge sellers) and drop the price on the hardware. How well it will work is another question however, but that is what they can do :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

You truly are amazing.

Re: Wii U...ehh. I think most of us knew there was going to be a big January decline, so that isn't news. Hardware numbers aren't great, but without knowing the stock situation cannot tell all that much. It seems like the premium pack is somewhat supply constrained and those are taking up the bulk of the shipments.

It isn't the Vita, clearly, but it also isn't going to repeat the initial Wii success.

farnham

Banned
Wii U will do fine in Japan no matter what. It's perfect for that consumer base: small, low power, cheap, and you don't need a tv.

so 100k per week sounds about right, approx 1.2 million consoles per year, 6 to 7.2 million lifetime. I'm sure nintendo will be fine with that.

Especially given the moribund economy of that country. 3rd recession in 5 years, GDP to debt ratio of 220% (for comparison, Greece is 170%), a disastrous lack of young people vs # of old people, no net immigration, and no political will to change any of these things.

The rest of the world is a big question mark, however.

i dont think nintendo would be fine with that. They have 2013 for them (unless ps4 comes out 2013, which seems unlikely according to rumors) and should be the dominating system in japan in 2014. 7 million implies that they falter to oblivion after ps4 launches

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It needs droves of moms and grandmoms to go out and buy one - in addition to their iPad - to play simple casual games or wholesome apps like Brain Training/Sudoku/Cooking Guides/Tour Guides/SwapNote... and content that vastly improves upon or sets it apart from iOs... I wonder if any of this is being planned right now at Nintendo SPD/SDD/NSD.

Last December that 3DS sold 500k in a week and had a record December there were moms and grandmoms that went out out to buy one - in addition to their iPad - to play simple casual games or wholesome apps like Brain Training/Sudoku/Cooking Guides/Tour Guides/SwapNote... and content that vastly improves upon or sets it apart from iOs...

BowieZ

Banned
More games (moneyhatting?), big price cut (making a loss?), a marketing boost, all possible things if Sony is happy to risk billions.

I was informed in the last thread that this tracking period is traditionally the biggest shopping week of the Japanese calendar

Yeah see... just really, really poor timing on that bet. Derped hard. I predict it will be under 100k within two weeks, probably next week assuming it's not another traditionally big holiday week.

Seriously, it's hard to replicate those 600k DS in a week (1mln in two weeks!), but 3DS is still doing a great job. Next year, Nintendo should push Pokémon 6th generation in the holiday season, maybe 3DS could also reach 700k then :p

ibzqU1ah0vKBwX.gif

Next goal:

Should reach both goals next year.

Sleepy

Also, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney dropped off the MC chart, but on the Famitsu? Is this really that bad?

Was anyone expecting those Animal Crossing numbers?

Spiegel

07. / 02. [PS3] Yakuza 4: Heir to the Legend (Sega) - 33.936 / 501.095 (-59%)

14./04. [PS3] Yakuza 5 # <ADV> (Sega) {2012.12.06} (¥8.800) - 40.187 / 479.885 (-52%)

3 weeks in and currently trailing behind Y4. With the longer development cycle I guess the returns won't be as great for Y5. Unless of course the holiday period gives it boost, or longer legs.

Yakuza 5 costs a 10% more at retail than previous Yakuza games

Barren release forecast ain't good for the Wii U; if it ends up like the 360/Vita like some are predicting that is pretty bad. Terrible sales except for weeks when it has first party releases? Awful.

Also, Blops2 Dubbed for WiiU failing to chart despite launch parity with the other consoles is a pretty bad omen, although it might not be the best indicator due to COD's niche status in Japan. What's the next game to simultaneously launch on PS3 and Wii U?

May16

surprised how little AKB managed to bump the Vita hardware figures, January is going to get ugly

The game is also available on PSP; were you really expecting a big boost?

I'm gonna get the PSP version because I can make out with the screen without worrying about setting off a bunch of touchscreen stuff.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Barren release forecast ain't good for the Wii U; if it ends up like the 360/Vita like some are predicting that is pretty bad. Terrible sales except for weeks when it has first party releases? Awful.

?

Where do people come up with this stuff? Have these been drafted and ready to go for weeks?

Also, Blops2 Dubbed for WiiU failing to chart despite launch parity with the other consoles is a pretty bad omen, although it might not be the best indicator due to COD's niche status in Japan. What's the next game to simultaneously launch on PS3 and Wii U?
No, sane person is saying Wii U is going to perform on par with Vita or 360 in japan. Your entire post isnt grounded with reality.

AKB PSP outsells the superior version 4:1. Not surprising, but further indication of how GE2 and Bamco's other Vita multiplats are likely to sell.

Alrus

Well Wii U numbers are okay I guess, it's a hold pretty much. Doesn't bode well for the next few weeks though, there's absolutely nothing concrete on the horizon...

Nice software sales for the 3DS, Animal Crossing is mighty impressive.

Hokuto Musou bombing bad as expected. I suspect the same fate will happen to One Piece Musou 2.

farnham

Banned
It could be, but i have no idea how the junk status from one credit agency affects the whole situation for Sony. I just know that there are many credit agencies.

There are three major rating agencies and depending on their rating the creditor will demand more interest

Top Bottom