• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2012 (Dec 17 - Dec 23)

Bruno MB

It's so weird to see a Level 5 game with such a high first day sell-through percentage. That's their Christmas present.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's not like 'the worst game this year on a Sony system with an userbase of 1.11M in Japan' is a much better prospect

and it's not getting much better results, in fact.
or am I reading it wrong?

First day sellthrough

Fantasy Life - 50-60%
Inazuma Eleven 1-2-3 - 20%

usual ST% for Inazuma :D
curious about FL distribution, otherwise the first day could be misinterpreted.

DrWong

So can we expect a +100K first week, at least, for Fantasy Life? I'm betting on 120K/150K with a 250K shipment (out of my "ass Heavy" prediction)

watershed

Banned
Now that PS2 shipments have stopped in Japan the Vita will finally have room to breath! I'm predicting a sizable jump next week!

CANLI

I'm interested about buying Fantasy Life via eshop (and IE 1-2-3 too) but I'm too busy with this drug now (Animal Crossing, the game is so fun)

+ 5980 yen (eshop price) is too expensive while the price of AC is only 4800 yen..
So

What's up with Brownie Brown? I read that London Life was original a mobile or ROID game, and BB might've helped with the ROID NiNoKuni spin-off that looked like Mother.

BB is a 1st-party Nintendo developer, so this confuses me.

BriBri

I'm interested about buying Fantasy Life via eshop (and IE 1-2-3 too) but I'm too busy with this drug now (Animal Crossing, the game is so fun)

+ 5980 yen (eshop price) is too expensive while the price of AC is only 4800 yen..
So
Amazing drug though!

And sooooo tempted by Fantasy Life. Anyone played?

What's up with Brownie Brown? I read that London Life was original a mobile or ROID game, and BB might've helped with the ROID NiNoKuni spin-off that looked like Mother.

BB is a 1st-party Nintendo developer, so this confuses me.

They also developed two Mana games for Square Enix, and Blue Dragon Plus. Maybe they are rented to third parties to develop games on Nintendo platforms?

They also developed two Mana games for Square Enix, and Blue Dragon Plus. Maybe they are rented to third parties to develop games on Nintendo platforms?

I know that, but the whole mobile thing is what is confusing, I know about the two Pokemon iOS apps, but to let BB help out making any kind of non-Nintendo platform game is strange.

I know that, but the whole mobile thing is what is confusing, I know about the two Pokemon iOS apps, but to let BB help out making any kind of non-Nintendo platform game is strange.

Is that true, or just a rumor? Because I remember they developed Livly Garden for DS, which was the console version of a popular browser game.

extralite

It's also true that Brain Training could be downloaded from eShop far more than all the other titles.

That's highly unlikely considering it's behind NSMB2 in the all time charts. NSMB2 barely misses the top 10 at 11 and AC is already number one, beating PKMARS and Denpa Ningen RPG. Kawashima isn't even in the top 20.

That's highly unlikely considering it's behind NSMB2 in the all time charts. NSMB2 barely misses the top 10 at 11 and AC is already number one, beating PKMARS and Denpa Ningen RPG. Kawashima isn't even in the top 20.

Not sure if this info is up elsewhere, but could you post the list?

Nekki

Around 15 millions of difference...but third parties are doing better! I'm wondering who's the software house lacking so much in sales :p

Amazing. Nintendo should be more than happy. They have far more benefit with this kind of model than the DS one, even though DS did receive a good amount of third party support. But keeping them happier means a better relationship and ecosystem overall.

hiska-kun

I've been reading a few japanese blogs (Azalyn, Tadapon, Osakaking...) and some of them talked about good Fantasy Life pre-orders. Even on COMG the game had 100pt.
I think a >100k opening is expected.

I think JoshuaJSlone put first party by mistake.

http://garaph.info/softwaregroups.php

You can see the ids on the chart S121 and S146 are for all software on Garaph.
Yeah, really bollocksed that one up. 3DS is in fact higher; the big overall difference is relatively low first party sales. Which still match everyone else.
PSV+3DS+minus+Nintendo

and it's not getting much better results, in fact.
or am I reading it wrong?
I think the point was that if the Wii U port of CODBLOPS can't even outsell Declassified you done fucked up somewhere. Although the 360 version didn't chart either, so who knows what's going on.

BKK

Ha! Are people really bothering to argue over CoD PSV Vs WiiU? I bet import retail PC CoD outsold both combined.

Also funny how after years of knocking down every poster that pointed out that many (non-Nintendo) games also have digital sales (which allegedly next to nobody in Japan buys), we now have a mass of people pointing out WiiU digital sales as if no ever platform has had them before. Well, I guess fans of all platforms can now live in the digital world of make believe figures in harmony!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ha! Are people really bothering to argue over CoD PSV Vs WiiU? I bet import retail PC CoD outsold both combined.

Also funny how after years of knocking down every poster that pointed out that many (non-Nintendo) games also have digital sales (which allegedly next to nobody in Japan buys), we now have a mass of people pointing out WiiU digital sales as if no ever platform has had them before. Well, I guess fans of all platforms can now live in the digital world of make believe figures in harmony!

In fact I simply think that they both sucked in terms of sales
about the DD version I agree, except for Animal Crossing maybe (combining direct DD and download cards)

I think the point was that if the Wii U port of CODBLOPS can't even outsell Declassified you done fucked up somewhere. Although the 360 version didn't chart either, so who knows what's going on.

COD Wii U is also available on another direct competitor platform as the PS3 that registered a good result for that game weeks ago, but I repeat: they both performed horribly and that's all, I think

BKK

about the DD version I agree, except for Animal Crossing maybe (combining direct DD and download cards)

Don't get me wrong, download cards are fine for comment (seeing as we apparently have at least one tracker that tracks them), my issue is with non-tracked DD.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think the main reason is that with Ken Rage 2 beeing the only "big" PS3 title this December it really mainly is just a software problem. There simply wasn´t a big software release on PS3 this December and absolutely nothing from Sony. We also have to conisder that PSP is even 2 years older than PS3 and also the successor available while there is no indication that there´ll be a PS3 successor anytime soon and PSP still outsold PS3 thanks to stronger new releases.
Sure, software is also a part of it. But i think some really special software is needed at this point to boost the hardware sales a lot. Price was another reason. We'll see what happends when the PS3 costs 20k yen instead of 25k yen.

IIRC, someone estimated 70k eShop purchase (without download cards, of course) in the first week.
What was this estimate based on? Was it just guessing or are any official sales info available?

Lol, I know... I love how they make veiled digs at the system. Going back to playing Tales of Abyss now.. ;)
I dont think anyone made a dig at the system. It is true that remaking DQ8 for the 3DS would mean that it would look aproximately the same or worse than the PS2 version regarding graphics. Remakes are often made to have updated visuals. I dont think the earlier discussion was about a port, but about a remake. Tales of the Abyss 3DS is basically a PS2 port, not a remake.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Err no, TotA isn't even close to the best looking 3DS game.

They could probably remake DQ8 on the 3DS and have it blow the PS2 version out of the water.

test_account

XP-39C²
Err no, TotA isn't even close to the best looking 3DS game.

They could probably remake DQ8 on the 3DS and have it blow the PS2 version out of the water.
I didnt say that it was the best looking 3DS game, only that it is a port (meaning that they didnt really do much extra work on the visuals, as they would do if it was a remake. And i've heard that TOTA looks worse on the 3DS).

Does any 3DS games blow DQ8 out of the water now?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Resident Evil Revelations, Super Mario 3D Land, hell even the half remake half bad port job Snake Eater 3D.

True, it's funny how they even use Miiverse posts as a reference for sales. When posters claimed that Vita titles may have 10% in digital sales they were attacked for making up numbers, now you have those same posters doing that and more, like poetry, full circle.

What was this estimate based on? Was it just guessing or are any official sales info available?

Estimation based on the discrepancy between the official numbers provided by Iwata and the figures from Famitsu.

True, it's funny how they even use Miiverse posts as a reference for sales. When posters claimed that Vita titles may have 10% in digital sales they were attacked for making up numbers, now you have those same posters doing that and more, like poetry, full circle.

Who?

test_account

XP-39C²
Resident Evil Revelations, Super Mario 3D Land, hell even the half remake half bad port job Snake Eater 3D.
Those games look good indeed. From what i've seen of DQ7 remake however, it doesnt blow DQ8 graphics out of the water. I'm sceptical that they would be able to make a DQ8 remake on 3DS that would look a lot better, but it would be interesting the see anyway =)

Estimation based on the discrepancy between the official numbers provided by Iwata and the figures from Famitsu.
Ah ok.

Spiegel

It doesn't seem like you have played DQ8 or even seen MGS3D.

RE:R and SML3D do look great but they don't blow top PS2 games out of the water. Unless all you are measuring is the capability of using shaders.

RE:R and SML3D do look great but they don't blow top PS2 games out of the water. Unless all you are measuring is the capability of using shaders.

The comparison doesn't make sense to begin with, because they both have small environments, when Dragon Quest VIII is basically open-world. Dragon Quest VII may be a more adequate game to compare with, but I'm sure Square Enix didn't push the console with it, being a remake.

hiska-kun

Yes, it seems that there are only 2 interesting releases (Digimon Adventures and DmC: Devil May Cry). Besides the 3rd month of Animal Crossing: New Leaf we could also include Fantasy Life and Wii U hardware.

Fantasy Life could be an interesting title to predict since we still won't know its first week sales.

[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (28d) -
[3DS] Fantasy Life (28d) -
[PSP] Digimon Adventures (11d) -
[PS3+360] DmC: Devil May Cry (11d) -
[WIU] Hardware (28d) -

What about 3DS hardware?

Where is this? Not expecting a response from a hit and run, but.

MGS 3 actually has some rather large areas.

And also a very bad frame rate. DQ8 could be done, but it was certainly made for the PS2's strengths. The 3DS shares few of them.

Where is this? Not expecting a response from a hit and run, but.
There were a few posters trying to guesstimate software sales in the last NPD thread based on Miiverse posts. Which is horribly unscientific since you can post in a community without owning the game and because not everybody who owns the game posts on Miiverse.

extralite

Not sure if this info is up elsewhere, but could you post the list?

No idea if it's up somewhere, I check it my 3DS when I need the info. Currently the これまでに売れたソフト (Software sales up to now) set to 3DS download soft gives the following list:

1. Tobidase Doubutsu no Mori
2. Pokemon AR Searcher
3. Denpa Ningen no RPG
4. 3D Classics Hoshi no Kirby Yume no izumi no monogatari
5. Ikimono-zukuri Creatoy
6. Pokemon Zengoku Zukan Pro
7. Hiku osu
8. Denpa Ningen no RPG 2
9. @SIMPLE DL Series Vol. 1 THE Misshitsu kara no dasshutsu
10. Touch Battle Sensha 3D
11. NSMB2
12. 3D Classics Xevious
13. The Rolling Western
14. Hyu~suton
15. Hirari Sakura Samurai
16. @SIMPLE DL Series Vol. 2 THE Misshitsu kara no dasshutsu gakkou no kyuukousha-hen
17. Love Plus Tools
18. @SIMPLE DL Series Vol. 3 THE Misshitsu kara no dasshutsu Celeb no goukatei-hen
19. ARC STYLE: Sakka-!!3D
20. Okiraku Tennis 3D

There were a few posters trying to guesstimate software sales in the last NPD thread based on Miiverse posts. Which is horribly unscientific since you can post in a community without owning the game and because not everybody who owns the game posts on Miiverse.

Found it. Well, I suppose throwing numbers together to see if there's correlation is silly, but it's not like they were considered serious. But you know those Nintendo fans, they are such hypocrites.

I thought this was a thread for Japanese sales...

Try to follow the conversation, would you?

donny2112

But you know those Nintendo fans, they are such hypocrites.

And the name of the poster who brought this up was ...

The 70K came from Iwata saying first week sales were 800K for AC, and people taking the difference between Famitsu/MC to determine download card sales. However, saying that because ~9% of 1st week sales were eShop DLs that we should use that in the current tally would be wrong, but we also don't see anyone doing that. The 70K for first week is fine, though, as long as you know where it's from.

We also know that there were ~25-30K of digital sales for Gravity Daze, at one point.

The problem comes in when trying to apply these data points to the larger market. I think we've done a good job keeping that from happening in the MC threads, though.

Top Bottom