• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2012 (Dec 17 - Dec 23)

DQ8 should go to Wii U if they're gonna release DQXII on Wii U. The 3DS will already have enough DQ games to transition the fanbase to the 3DS for DQXI. A bit premature to say this about DQXII, but the Wii U should have a substantial lead in userbase over PS4/Durango. We'll see how it goes though.

Aeana

As much as I love my 3DS and as much of a pipe dream as it is, I would love a DQVIII remake on the Vita. Shame it won't happen.

Any guesses as to how well DQVII will do? My guess is better than the DS remakes.
My first instinct is to say that it should sell in line with the last actual full-blown remake they put out, DQ5 PS2, which started at 1.04 million and ended at around 1.6 million. But it'll be interesting to see how being so many years later and on 3DS affects it.

How well did the DS remakes do?

Code:
5 	DS 	Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie 	Square Enix 	2010-01-28 	3843 	1,297,344 	2010-12-20
7 	DS 	Dragon Quest IV                        Square Enix        2007-11-22 	2662 	1,214,610 	2008-12-22
8 	DS 	Dragon Quest V 	                        Square Enix       2008-07-17 	3038 	1,190,404 	2009-12-21
29 	DS 	Dragon Quest V (ULTIMATE) 	      Square Enix 	2010-03-04 	3904 	77,041 	2010-12-20
30 	DS 	Dragon Quest IV (ULTIMATE) 	     Square Enix 	   2010-03-04 	3906 	50,492 	2010-12-20

http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?grid=192

Nekki

When did I posted this?

First you claim they didn't existed at all, now that the ones that did it aren't enough or whatever. I have no need to continue dealing with your moving goalposts, accept the facts and have a happy new year.

Do remember i was quoting two people, and it would do you good to revise your own posts. Anyhow, this is hardly a conversation that belongs here anymore, so i agree on focusing on what's relevant.

Anybody know if smaller games like Beyond the Labyrinth are available through eshop? It could get a (albeit very small) second wind with a release... maybe 200 more copies sold, lol. But yeah what i mean is older third party games.

And i'd like some sales info regarding FE DLC, or even Mario DLC. Haven't had any for Mario, and nothing concrete for FE either..

m.i.s.

Banned
Code:
5 	DS 	Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie 	Square Enix 	2010-01-28 	3843 	1,297,344 	2010-12-20
7 	DS 	Dragon Quest IV                        Square Enix        2007-11-22 	2662 	1,214,610 	2008-12-22
8 	DS 	Dragon Quest V 	                        Square Enix       2008-07-17 	3038 	1,190,404 	2009-12-21
29 	DS 	Dragon Quest V (ULTIMATE) 	      Square Enix 	2010-03-04 	3904 	77,041 	2010-12-20
30 	DS 	Dragon Quest IV (ULTIMATE) 	     Square Enix 	   2010-03-04 	3906 	50,492 	2010-12-20

http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?grid=192

Thanks!

Now that I think about it, when is PS All Stars releasing in Japan(if it's going to release there)? What numbers can we expect it does over there?

Fixed. If the industry does decline; expect a winner takes all scenario to play out [3DS].

We'll have to wait and see. I think even by the optimistic outlook the handheld industry in Japan is going to sell at least 20 million less pieces of hardware this gen and software is only going to look worse.

I'm going to go against that and say that the console market will grow this gen but who knows.

M3d10n

Except for a couple specific instances MGS3DS was a fairly solid 20fps in 3D, which put it inline with the PS2 original and Peace Walker PSP. It's actually a pretty commendable conversion, Hexadrive did a great job considering it's a game really built around PS2's architecture (much moreso than DQ8) and the port generally runs at a comparable framerate in full 3D. PS2 likely couldn't pull that off.

I think people tend to be harder on it because it launched alongside much improved HD (and qHD) versions on significantly more capable hardware. But when judged against comparable MGS games on PS2 and PSP the 3DS version comes off pretty decent.

Yeah, I stumbled on a cheap copy and so far it's turned out much better than GAF made me think. The characters look much better with the added normal mapping and for some strange reason the game still looks great even on a lower resolution (maybe it's the color palette). I got used to the framerate pretty quickly, since it almost never drops during gameplay. There are severe drops during some cutscenes, however (specially if they involve bees), which is a shame because they look gorgeous and the 3D is top notch. I think they could have dropped the DOF effect to keep the framerate stable, since it makes no sense with 3D on.

I also think the game needed additional control layouts/options for people without the circle pad pro. It would be vastly more playable if the game swapped the circle pad and ABXY while aiming, since your movement is limited anyway.

Boney

Banned
And i'd like some sales info regarding FE DLC, or even Mario DLC. Haven't had any for Mario, and nothing concrete for FE either..

We did get this right before the second batch of DLC for FE iirc

qgIwS.png

1,200,000 downloads and 380,000,000 yen in profits

DQ8 should go to Wii U if they're gonna release DQXII on Wii U. The 3DS will already have enough DQ games to transition the fanbase to the 3DS for DQXI. A bit premature to say this about DQXII, but the Wii U should have a substantial lead in userbase over PS4/Durango. We'll see how it goes though.
At this point, I get the feeling that only MMO Dragon Quests will be on home consoles. So XI and XII will probably be on handhelds, and DQX is the only "mainline" Wii U gets.

We might not see a VIII remake until 3DS' successor, or a more direct conversion on 3DS but I think this is less likely and SE might go back to the 1:1 remake schedule they had on SFC/PS/PS2. DQM2 might be the next 3DS remake anyway though, or maybe a Torneko 3 or Shonen Yangus port.

BKK

I'd like to be enlightened because i don't remember such posts.

I'm not going to call specific people out, if they take issue with what I say then they're welcome to respond to me. Everyone here can read the same posts as you or me, so I'm not concerned about your implications of strawman arguments, if others believe I'm making a strawman they are free to call me out too.

For now, it seems the handheld software collapse will be even uglier. Most of the drop is from one publisher (Nintendo), which is not as bad for the market, but 3rd parties are on the path to be considerably down too. The good thing about this gen is we can always count on imaginary download sales to increase the numbers.

As for attach rate, yeah, this gen particularly it hasn't been good (except for the DS and Xbox 360), but I think used sales are also a big factor.

Well, this is maybe why I'm not so pessimistic about software sales. I don't think many people think there were actually 70m+ individual console owners last gen. I think a big reason why Japanese attach rates have been so low compared to other countries is from a higher multiple console ownership compared to other countries. Part of that could be just through upgrading (DS>DS Lite for example), another could be PSP to play MH with friends, DS to play Mario at home. We could still have individuals buying a similar number of games per person as in the west, just split between less consoles per person.

So if Vita is a failure we could still see the same people that bought a PSP, NDS, DSL, MH, and Mario last gen just buy a 3DS, MH, and Mario this gen.

Of course there is always the aging demographic issue too, so I'd expect a slight decline from that anyway, but it will be interesting to see if other entertainment (including smartphones) happens to encroach on the traditional market in Japan during the coming gen.

Also, as another poster posted earlier in this thread, I'm not totally convinced that the home console market was destined to decline last gen, if Sony had released PS3 as X360 HW in 2005 I think it's quite possible that we would have actually seen an increase in home console HW sales over the previous gen.

disco

I think in between 1.5 and 1.7 million is about right for DQVII

I really would like to agree but seeing the quality DQ Monsters Remake flounder despite numerous projections of at least a million, possibly as high as 1.2 leave me hesitant. I think 1.2 is the highest we'll see. The market is slowly collapsing in on itself - I really am frightened of the day GREE arrange a press conference and Horii walks on stage...

donny2112

if others believe I'm making a strawman they are free to call me out too.

You're making strawman arguments. *shrugs*

We had people posting # of ratings for PSV games from Day 1. We had people posting confirmed PSP download sales (e.g. 10% of P3P or P2P, I think), when they were released. The only issues were when anyone suggested that any specific data points applied to the whole batch, as then you get into ioi level craziness. Captain Smoker's post is going into the Square2005-comgnet area of "don't go there" thinking, but it was just a reviewing the numbers post. If he started trying to say "here are the Miiverse numbers so here's the Nintendo games in the Top 20 coming out tomorrow" like Square2005 did with comgnet data, he'd be equally beaten down with postings.

The PSV ratings, eShop rankings, Amazon.co.jp rankings, comgnet points, and Miiverse posts are all extra sources of information that, as long as you understand where they come from, what they are, what they represent, and most importantly, what they don't represent, then it's fine to post them/analyze them. The key is in making sure the average poster isn't breezing by, seeing these comgnet/Amazon/Miiverse numbers and thinking that they are sales, but I think most in the threads by this point do get that about the "extra" sources of information, since we've been "dealing" with digital sales since the PSP started putting games on PSN. Saying that it's only a problem if company "X" fans mention download sales is ignoring the history of the subject in MC threads and treating the lack of understanding when PSP/PSN downloads first started as unchanged in the ensuing years, which is disingenuous.

I really would like to agree but seeing the quality DQ Monsters Remake flounder despite numerous projections of at least a million, possibly as high as 1.2 leave me hesitant. I think 1.2 is the highest we'll see. The market is slowly collapsing in on itself - I really am frightened of the day GREE arrange a press conference and Horii walks on stage...

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D has some stock problems during the first weeks; then, Pokémon Black 2 / White 2 came out. Dragon Quest will stay on console, at least for what concerns main entries, no worries.

Dragon Quest VII is surely a million seller, but doing 1.2 mln instead of 1.5 mln is not such a difference; I mean, how expensive could be developing a game like that? It's a full-blown remake, of course, but if games like Yakuza are profitable with a third of units, I don't see any problems.

The PSV ratings, eShop rankings, Amazon.co.jp rankings, comgnet points, and Miiverse posts are all extra sources of information that, as long as you understand where they come from, what they are, what they represent, and most importantly, what they don't represent, then it's fine to post them/analyze them. The key is in making sure the average poster isn't breezing by, seeing these comgnet/Amazon/Miiverse numbers and thinking that they are sales, but I think most in the threads by this point do get that about the "extra" sources of information, since we've been "dealing" with digital sales since the PSP started putting games on PSN. Saying that it's only a problem if company "X" fans mention download sales is ignoring the history of the subject in MC threads and treating the lack of understanding when PSP/PSN downloads first started as unchanged in the ensuing years, which is disingenuous.

Yeah, I read about people elsewhere that every week they analyze Comgnet points with weird ratios, according to publisher, genre, IP, etc. It's funny to read them, but depressing at the same time.

When did I posted this?

First you claim they didn't existed at all, now that the ones that did it aren't enough or whatever. I have no need to continue dealing with your moving goalposts, accept the facts and have a happy new year.

Maybe you should read the posts you reply to. The original poster you replied to and agreed with was where the 'mass of posters' came from. So by agreeing with him you were making that claim as well. I also find it hard to believe this post is referring to 2 people at most.

True, it's funny how they even use Miiverse posts as a reference for sales. When posters claimed that Vita titles may have 10% in digital sales they were attacked for making up numbers, now you have those same posters doing that and more, like poetry, full circle.

LOCK

DQM Terry's Wonderland will probably have crawled it's way to 1mil. We will need the yearly numbers to know for sure though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, I read about people elsewhere that every week they analyze Comgnet points with weird ratios, according to publisher, genre, IP, etc. It's funny to read them, but depressing at the same time.

Well, I agree something like one year ago there was an exaggerated attention ( all my fault, I admit it :D ) to Comgnet datas, since I posted every Sunday both top 20s (Sunday's preorder chart and Weekly sales chart), but I think the way it is done right now, with a post where there are just comparisons for some of the most interesting incoming titles with the past titles of the same brand, not so oftern, can be the right way to do it. Not intrusive, and useful with the right key of reading: Comgnet charts obtained to anticipate FFXIII-2 fail, KH3D fail, 2nd SRT OG underperformance, Animal Crossing explosion, BD good numbers, etc.etc.

BKK

You're making strawman arguments. *shrugs*

Well, like I said:

I'm not going to call specific people out

So a quick search of recent posts (Google if you don't believe me)

Legs seems broken for MK7? Still ahead MKDS but doesn't climb as fast.
That said, digital sales and bundles aren't likely in the chart. And the following weeks are a holiday period, so a first bump for the game.

Digital sales are insignificant

Dont think so. If you read in Miiverse it seems that any Wii U games should have very significant digital sales. I don't think that 3DS digital sales are much lower.

Ugh...this looks like it will pass 400k though.

It seems to be doing well digitally and its still early so It may pass it up eventually.

oh wow, a difference of over 60K units sold with media crate tracking only retail copies of Animal Crossing and Famitsu tracking Retail+Download Cards.

makes me wonder what kind of numbers the game is putting up in terms of e-shop downloads. maybe Nintendo will release some sales figures.

You have also to count the market changed: some titles which saw releases as retail titles on DS now could be released on iOS or on eShop / other download services.

Was this week the launch of BLOPS2 and Ken's Rage 2 on Wii U too? And when will Nintendo release some download numbers? (seeing that AC has a 300.000 difference between the two trackers)

I guess the current sale figures not include the download version yet. Actually, animl crossing is the type of game which suits download version most. Really interest to earn the download ratio

Not even sure why you chose to challenge me on that, my comments clearly weren't aimed at you. I'd be quite happy to make a graph about the affiliation of all posters you have called out on fantasy digital sales before though.

donny2112

Well, like I said:

Well, like I said, strawman argument. The posts you listed are mostly wondering what the download numbers are or mentioning that the current sales figures don't include downloads, which is true, without speculation as to what those download numbers are. The issue with bringing up download sales is when trying to say download sales will move a game from bomb to success or trying to say that since game A had known download sales that the same ratio could be applied to the full suite of released games on a platform.

You have also to count the market changed: some titles which saw releases as retail titles on DS now could be released on iOS or on eShop / other download services.

That you had to use something as non sequitur as this is hilarious. It's simply mentioning that there are download services now without bothering to speculate what the sales through them would be. There's no problem with this statement, at all.

You're really reaching to try to make this into a Sony witch-hunt, BKK.

I'd be quite happy to make a graph about the affiliation of all posters you have called out on fantasy digital sales before though.

Go right ahead and spin your wheels. I'd imagine most would be from the early goings with PSPgo's release when the digital sales side of things were so unknown and there was concern on my part that that great black hole of data would be used to prop up sales, much as the great black hole of EU sales was often used to prop up worldwide PS3 numbers, at the time. If you also include a time scale on the posts, I think you'll find that the frequency has lessened over time, which you will probably attribute to Nintendo starting download sales, but will actually be due to a more general awareness of what download numbers typically are (and I'm not posting as much in general, for the most part). Always like to think I'm being consistent to whatever my previous position(s) are, unless new information has come up, so would be interesting in seeing if your research would match my memory on my position over time. :p

BKK

Go right ahead and spin your wheels. I'd imagine most would be from the early goings with PSPgo's release when the digital sales side of things were so unknown and there was concern on my part that that great black hole of data would be used to prop up sales, much as the great black hole of EU sales was often used to prop up worldwide PS3 numbers, at the time. If you also include a time scale on the posts, I think you'll find that the frequency has lessened over time, which you will probably attribute to Nintendo starting download sales, but will actually be due to a more general awareness of what download numbers typically are (and I'm not posting as much in general, for the most part). Always like to think I'm being consistent to whatever my previous position(s) are, unless new information has come up, so would be interesting in seeing if your research would match my memory on my position over time. :p

Well, that's fair comment. The digital era has progressed somewhat since last gen, although I'm sure not as much in Japan as other places. Still, I think it's still small even amongst the "hardcore" community (<20%?). I still think it's worth calling out vague "digital sales" as much as it is ever was.

Anyway, I don't think there is much to be gained from calling out long past predictions or thoughts, no-one can see that far ahead, or know what the future holds. So better we comment on what we know now, than what we knew in the past. Happy new year :)

Edit:

You're really reaching to try to make this into a Sony witch-hunt, BKK.

Ha!, I think you accused me of being a MS fan before too ... I'm a Sega fan if anything (not that there's much to be a fan about now though :( )

Last night I dreamt that Fantasy Life had first week sales of 31k. Hope I'm wrong.
Well it sold through 50-60% of its first shipment, I believe first day. Itd have to sell a lot to outsell animal crossing considering animal crossing was supply constraint earlier and they got a new shipment the 27th.

donny2112

Ha!, I think you accused me of being a MS fan before too

Don't recall, if I did. The comments here had to be about anti-Sonyism, though, as no one would care about Microsoft digital download sales in Japan. :p

... I'm a Sega fan if anything (not so much now though :( )

Well, SEGA's going mostly digital now, apparently, so it's right on topic. :)

Happy New Year to you, too!

jay

Nicola Kanshuu: Model Oshare Audition Platina doesn't seem to have sold too well, but I bet there were at least 107,283 in digital sales. Too bad no one downloads Vita games.

BKK

Well, SEGA's going mostly digital now, apparently, so it's right on topic. :)

Happy New Year to you, too!

Well, Digital for the west; Retail for the east so they say. So it's an interesting subject, but not so much in JP thread (hopefully). I'm sure I'm a tiny minority, but I won't buy PS4 if Sega stop localising the series.

Top Bottom