• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2011 {2011.12.26 - 2012.01.01}

You guys can spin everything around. It's a remarkable talent.

You're quoting a guy with a Mario avatar. And even if saying 1 million is low.... didn't people argue FF13's 1.5 million unit launch was underwhelming? Again, MHP3 is the all-time best selling game from a third party in the history of Japan, not even counting digital sales it surpassed DQ9 months ago and is still moving units, it's a cultural phenomenon.

P.S. As of this coming week the 3DS will have a bigger userbase than the PS3 had back then too.

Cipherr

You're quoting a guy with a Mario avatar. And even if saying 1 million is low.... didn't people argue FF13's 1.5 million unit launch was underwhelming?

Well that depends, what were Squares expectations for FF for the fiscal year? Were they 3 months ahead of their expectations the way Capcom is with MH3G?

No?

Then what the fuck exactly is your point?

Dalthien

Capcom has had a pile of games which have brutally underperformed their initial expectations these past few years. MH3G will actually exceed them.

Well that depends, what were Squares expectations for FF for the fiscal year? Were they 3 months ahead of their expectations the way Capcom is with MH3G?

No?

Then what the fuck exactly is your point?
Isn't this the same line of reasoning people used for Tri?

"It shipped 1 million, they only expected to ship 1 million!"

They set low expectations for all MH releases.

Erethian

They set low expectations for Tri G because of the install base, the scope of the game, and because its main purpose is to help transition the MH audience to 3DS in preparation for MH4.

matmanx1

I wonder how long we're going to have to wait for some "important" game announcements regarding the Vita for the Japanese market. Or if what's been announced so far really is "it" for the forseeable future.

Personally I'm ecstatic with the announced lineup and can't wait to play many of the games that are due within the launch period and first half of 2012. Wipeout 2048, Gravity Rush, Shinobido, Super Stardust Delta, Escape Plan, LBP Vita, Unit 13, SF x Tekken and especially Dragon's Crown top my list of stuff to look forward to but are certainly not all I'm looking forward to playing on the Vita.

Of course what I think of as a treasure trove of gaming seems to be of little interest to the great majority of the Japanese market as a whole and I am certainly not blind to that fact. While I'm going to be having the time of my life this Spring I know that I am in no way representative of most gamers and certainly most Japanese gamers.

I just hope that Sony (or one of it's 3rd parties) finds the thing that causes the Vita to catch on, not only in Japan, but worldwide. Otherwise this strong bevy of launch titles may dwindle down and not be replaced by new, fun titles down the road. And that would be a shame for everyone.

You're quoting a guy with a Mario avatar. And even if saying 1 million is low.... didn't people argue FF13's 1.5 million unit launch was underwhelming? Again, MHP3 is the all-time best selling game from a third party in the history of Japan, not even counting digital sales it surpassed DQ9 months ago and is still moving units, it's a cultural phenomenon.

P.S. As of this coming week the 3DS will have a bigger userbase than the PS3 had back then too.

When all is said and done i don't think it's out of the question for MH3G to outsell FFXIII. Also this isn't a mainline MH release, if MH4 doesn't sell at least like 3-4 million copies then everyone will be saying the same thing.

Cipherr

Oh is that so?

How Much Monster Hunter Portable 3rd Do Capcom Expect To Sell?

With Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, which returns the franchise to its natural habitat, the PSP, Capcom hope to sell a whopping 3.6 million units in Japan alone.

Seems that they set their official expectations for MHP3 at a number that would pretty much make it the best selling third party title in the entire country. Unfortunately that completely contradicts "They always set low expectations for MH".

And why are you suddenly jumping ship to the console version of MH?

Spiegel

Oh is that so?

Seems that they set their official expectations for MHP3 at a number that would pretty much make it the best selling third party title in the entire country. Unfortunately that completely contradicts "They always set low expectations for MH".

You just proved his point.

Dalthien

They said 1M shipped by end of 2011 and 1.2M by end of FY2011. I don't see how they are beating their projection at all, never mind by three months.

Huh? They announced that shipments already exceeded 1 million units back on like Dec 20th. So they already beat their first goal. Do you really think they won't top 1.2M by the end of March? Really??? I wouldn't be surprised if they've already hit that number.

Erethian

Huh? They announced that shipments already exceeded 1 million units back on like Dec 20th. So they already beat their first goal. Do you really think they won't top 1.2M by the end of March?

If it has decent legs, Tri G should easily sell-through 1.2 million copies by the end of January.

Jonnyram

Huh? They announced that shipments already exceeded 1 million units back on like Dec 20th. So they already beat their first goal. Do you really think they won't top 1.2M by the end of March? Really??? I wouldn't be surprised if they've already hit that number.
What is the difference between shipping 1M by 20th or 27th when the sales still haven't hit that number as of the beginning of January. I don't think that's even a factor here. Even then we're talking about a WEEK, not three months.

Dalthien

What is the difference between shipping 1M by 20th or 27th when the sales still haven't hit that number as of the beginning of January. I don't think that's even a factor here. Even then we're talking about a WEEK, not three months.
Maybe because Capcom's projections are based on SHIPMENTS, not sell-through. Come on, you're too good of a poster to be spouting all this nonsense lately.

And they hit their million shipment goal within 10 days of release. And as I said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've already reached 1.2M shipped (which would be about 3 months ahead of schedule) It should be close to 1.1M sold through on Jan 8 according to Media Create.

Regardless, why are you saying things like they haven't even reached their goal at all, when you know they had already shipped a million before the end of the year, and you know they'll ship 1.2M by the end of March?

Oh is that so?

Going by your own link, they projected a decline from Portable 2nd G. That doesn't constitute a conservative estimate in your view?

And I mentioned the Wii version because the excuses were the same, as it stands 3G is tracking significantly behind all PSP iterations besides the very first release of MHP, and neither version of MHP2 had the holidays to boost their sales either. It's also safe to say that the franchise is much more popular than it was when MHP2 came out too.

Dalthien

Going by your own link, they projected a decline from Portable 2nd G. That doesn't constitute a conservative estimate in your view?
Capcom has had some of the biggest projection misses (on the downside) of any company the past few years. MHP3 ended up being one of their misses on the upside. The 3.6M projection was for the fiscal year. They ended up shipping 4.6M. They beat projections by about 27%.

MH3G is projected at 1.2M for the fiscal year. To beat that number by a similar amount as MHP3, they would have to ship about 1.5M by the end of this March. They may or may not reach that number, but they will certainly beat 1.2M, and the difference on the upside won't be ridiculously far off from the MHP3 projections.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The top 100 is in this week Famitsu.
Some random numbers from Hokanko.

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 - 470k
[PS3] Gundam: Extreme Vs. - 432k
[PS3] Dark Souls - 334k
[PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki - 195k
[PS3] Uncharted 3 - 162k
[PS3] Atelier Meruru - 138k

The 100th is [NDS] Mario v.s. Donkey Kong - 123k

Then, it seems there are other infos, software not in top 100, however.

[PSV] Hot Shots Golf 6 - 68.7k
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 58.2k
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next - 45.2k
[360] Gears of War 3 - 60.3k
[360] The Idolmaster 2 - 57.8k
[360] Kinect ( not Adventures, but they are the same since they're bundled, so... ) - 53.6k
[PS2] Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 - 35.8k (66.7k)
[PS2] Persona 4 The Best - 23.6k (44k)

Michan

It's ridiculous to see so many people complaining about the "low" MH 3DS sales. Maybe if it was a MHP game, the complaints would be justified... but it's not.

You may as well compare sales of Tactics/Crystal Chronicles to mainline FF titles, or WoW to Warcraft. The overarching franchise may be the same, but they're different experiences. Different types of fans like different types of things.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's ridiculous to see so many people complaining about the "low" MH 3DS sales. Maybe if it was a MHP game, the complaints would be justified... but it's not.

You may as well compare sales of Tactics/Crystal Chronicles to mainline FF titles, or WoW to Warcraft. The overarching franchise may be the same, but they're different experiences. Different types of fans like different types of things.
In what way is TriG a different experience compared to MHP3rd? Honest question. WoW and Warcraft are two different genres, one being a MMORPG while the other is a RTS. FF and FFTactics are also two different genres. I dont think that this is the case with MH TriG and other MH games?

heringer

Wow, what a terrible comparison for obvious reasons.

Kyoufu

Not a good comparison. The MH Airu/Poka Village games would be a valid comparison here, but we're talking about a standard MH game on 3DS.

Which has sold very well. Don't listen to Kandinsky who is clearly on a mission to troll 3DS at any opportunity. The fact is, MH3G has sold very well given the userbase.

Road

It is ridiculous because most people are complaining based on their senseless affection for a hardware manufacturer. (And many of those defending the sales are doing it for the same reason.)

Until September the logical opinion was that monster hunter would be going to vita not 3ds so realistically people have only been buying 3ds systems for it since then meaning the potential "likely to buy" userbase it has to sell to is smaller than 3ds hardware figures could suggest, especially when making comparisons to the earlier psp games
As it is it has probably already shipped at least what capcom expected for the fiscal year and if sales hold up reasonably it has the potential to significantly exceed expectations by the end of march

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 - 470k
[PS3] Dark Souls - 334k
[PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki - 195k
[PS3] Uncharted 3 - 162k
[PS3] Atelier Meruru - 138k

The 100th is [NDS] Mario v.s. Donkey Kong - 123k

Then, it seems there are other infos, software not in top 100, however.

[PSV] Hot Shots Golf 6 - 68.7k
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 58.2k
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next - 45.2k
[360] Gears of War 3 - 60.3k
[360] The Idolmaster 2 - 57.8k
[360] Kinect ( not Adventures, but they are the same since they're bundled, so... ) - 53.6k
[PS2] Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 - 35.8k (66.7k)
[PS2] Persona 4 The Best - 23.6k (44k)

Any sign of numbers for 3ds games?

disco

It is ridiculous because most people are complaining based on their senseless affection for a hardware manufacturer. (And many of those defending the sales are doing it for the same reason.)

Sounds like supporting a football team...

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Nice, it has sold better than NEXT Plus :)

1/ Mario Kart 7
2/ Mario 3D Land
3/ MH3G
4/ Inazuma Eleven Go
5/ Orochi 2
6/ Just Dance
7/ Kirby
8/ FFXIII-2
9/ Wii Party
10/ Go Vacation

Top Bottom