• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2012 (Dec 24 - Dec 30)

z0m3le

Banned
I wonder what will be an acceptable drop for the Wii U next week.

What's the reaction if it drops to 50k? 40k? Can't drop to less than 30k, can it?

if you mean Week 1, panic with those numbers... it's new years week in japan for numbers Wednesday, they will likely stay or increase, but a drop below 70k is a panic mode problem.

50k for Week 2, I would say is optimistic without software in this month, but if it drops to below 30k, it would be bombing I'd imagine.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
:-D

Almost anything of note is on handhelds in Japan.

It just seems to be party, fitness and dance games that do well on consoles for the most part.

*cough*PS3*cough*

Boerseun

Banned
I didn't think anyone would have the balls to launch Fantasy Life a week after Animal Crossing. And they're both selling like hotcakes!

Madao

i thought Mario Party 9 and Pokemon BW2 would rise more than that in the holidays considering that they hadn't had a holiday on sale yet.

looks like most of the old userbase is inactive at this point.

3DS continues to eat up the market. Surely third party announcements should be expected over 2013?

WiiU seems alright, decline is normal but will be dangerous if it just continues and never balances out.

NSMBU should keep it buoyant enough, but NSMB2 being so close could limit that.

Road

Also, sorry for the ego-trip but I'm glad I was right when saying last week, after we had the 1rst day sell-through:
Now I'm curious to know about the shipment.

The sell-through for Fantasy Life according to Famitsu is between 76% and 100%, so the first week shipment was not higher than 177,000.

[3DS] Run For Money - 351,523 LTD

Hilarious.

Hey Bruno MB, do you have LTD sales for Vita Software? (TOP 10 too).
1. Persona 4 Golden - 193,412
2. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f - 185,353
3. Hot Shots Golf 6: World Invitational - 118,985
4. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 89,390
5. Gravity Rush - 78,293
6. Dynasty Warriors NEXT - 74,718
7. Tales of Innocence R - 71,463
8. Lord of Apocalypse - 69,162
9. Ragnarok Odyssey - 65,138
10. Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Battle Destiny - 55,527

Madao

3DS continues to eat up the market. Surely third party announcements should be expected over 2013?

WiiU seems alright, decline is normal but will be dangerous if it just continues and never balances out.

NSMBU should keep it buoyant enough, but NSMB2 being so close could limit that.

NSMB2 and NSMBU's timing is unprecedented. i think both games won't sell as much as they could by being released so closely together. the past 2 NSMBs had their whole runs for themselves and didn't have to share with similar installments.

(though there's a chance this could turn out differently in 4-5 years if the legendary legs kick in)

BriBri

The sell-through for Fantasy Life according to Famitsu is between 76% and 100%, so the first week shipment was not higher than 177,000.
Fantasy Life is only 7 on the eShop where-as Animal Crossing is still 1 so I doubt it'll come close to matching ACs digital sales, even the ratio.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Very solid 3ds, animal crossing, fantasy life and new mario 2 numbers! also happy about Inazuma go 2 and layton VS actual ltds.
I think that Wii U sales in Japan are quite good, not astonishing as the old Wii ones, but it's expected. Also Mario U and Land are still selling well, and that's a good sign. Of course, unlike the Wii that was strong on its own, it will need a more constant release of software to perform well.

NSMB2 and NSMBU's timing is unprecedented. i think both games won't sell as much as they could by being released so closely together. the past 2 NSMBs had their whole runs for themselves and didn't have to share with similar installments.

(though there's a chance this could turn out differently in 4-5 years if the legendary legs kick in)

Yeah the legs thing is really a big thing, DS/Wii game were together yet had legs.

As people run out of Mario on 3DS they'll find him waiting on the WiiU I suppose. Will be very interesting to watch.

Subaru

Hilarious.

5. Gravity Rush - 78,293

Thank you so much!

I thought that Persona 4 went better than that. What a shame.

Jackano

3DS: First to 10M
in Japan
win?
It will take what, 2 or 3 weeks from now.

Only problem with the somewhat meh Wii U sales is what's ahead: Release desert.

test_account

XP-39C²
And third party games can't sell on the 3DS?!
I dont think many has said that, at least not for Japan. Or they must have ignored the 20+ years of Nintendo handheld sales in Japan :)

Thank you so much!

I thought that Persona 4 went better than that. What a shame.
It has done better than that. That LTD is from the begining for July and it doesnt count for digital sales either. I have no idea how much better though, but at least it is better than that :)

3DS: First to 10M
in Japan
win?
It will take what, 2 or 3 weeks from now.

Only problem with the somewhat meh Wii U sales is what's ahead: Release desert.

New year week is always pretty big in Japan so 3ds should make it then at least by famitsu

Mpl90

Where is the new race to 2M (or 3M) sales on 3ds gif?

ibzqU1ah0vKBwX.gif

The way Animal Crossing comes out saying to the others racing "Oh hi guys. Sorry, gotta go!" is amazing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Paper Mario series:

[N64] Paper Mario (Nintendo) {2000.08.11} - 118.322 / 425.609
[GCN] Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Nintendo) {2004.07.22} - 137.750 / 398.218
[Wii] Super Paper Mario (Nintendo) {2007.04.19} - 156.055 / 505.491
[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} - 130.009 / 391.078

Might be worth including the Mario & Luigi games for comparison as well, owing to the fact that although they're distinct from Paper Mario, they might represent a slightly closer match for a 3DS Paper Mario than the console Paper Mario games do.

Mpl90

Has AC always been this big in Japan? I can't believe it's outselling Mario Kart and NSMB.

Animal Crossing: Wild World for DS is one of the 5 million sellers on DS, but New Leaf is shocking everyone due to its high weekly numbers compared to Wild World.

Told you it would go under 100k, I was just a week off...forgot it was Christmas last week. 76k is lower than I expected, I was thinking just barely under 100k, like 90k.

Tratorn

Hilarious.

5. Gravity Rush - 78,293

From when are these numbers? I think these are pretty old.
Not that I think they're all above 100k now, but I remember some higher sales from P4, HSG and GR.

wrowa

I'm glad that Fantasy Life had a solid start (and Inazuma Go 2 still selling decently), Level-5 seriously deserves a small success after the pretty horrible year that was 2012. With stuff like Guild-01, Time Traveller's and Layton vs Ace Attorney they really tried to do some interesting stuff, which sadly didn't get rewarded.

However, I hope Fantasy Life is going to show some good legs despite competing with the AC monster. Would be nice to see it becoming a small evergreen title.

Wii U doesn't seem to do too bad. I don't think it ever had any chance to replicate the Wii's success, so I prefer not to compare it to Wii's launch sales. On its own, it's solid. Though, considering the line-up of the next months (or rather the lack of a line-up), I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 starts to outsell it during the next months. I hope Nintendo still has some games ready to release, but as time goes on I'm getting the worrying feeling that the lack of 1rst party announements might be related to the company struggling to deliver HD content.

Might be worth including the Mario & Luigi games for comparison as well, owing to the fact that although they're distinct from Paper Mario, they might represent a slightly closer match for a 3DS Paper Mario than the console Paper Mario games do.

Can't agree here. Sticker Star is very different from Paper Mario but remains of the same series and is visually distinct.

The M/L games are very different games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

It would be more complete, but I'm not sure that consumers overlap the two distinctive franchises. I think that we will see a Mario&Luigi game on 3DS and I think that looking at previous entries will help us in foreseeing its sales potential, while Paper Mario can now tell us that the franchise is quite stable around 450K average nowadays.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wii U doesn't seem to do too bad. I don't think it ever had any chance to replicate the Wii's success, so I prefer not to compare it to Wii's launch sales. On its own, it's solid. Though, considering the line-up of the next months (or rather the lack of a line-up), I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 starts to outsell it during the next months. I hope Nintendo still has some games ready to release, but as time goes on I'm getting the worrying feeling that the lack of 1rst party announements might be related to the company struggling to deliver HD content.

Do we know significate titles incoming for PS3 in the next months in Japan? honest question, I don't know.
I think that PS3 could be higher than Wii U next week (usually Sony's systems selle better - relatively- during the last week of the year and the first week of the new year unlike Nintendo's one that benefit more from previous holidays weeks) but I'm not sure that PS3 will be higher than Wii U after that (of course: if there will be constant important titles released for PS3, my argument is invalid). I think that Wii U is not doing great results as the Wii did (but just from this week) but it's doing relatively well (comparing it with latest hw releases in Japan as PS3 and Vita but maybe also 3DS pre-cut and pre-trinity) and the good results of Mario and Land could help the new system being higher than PS3 (that before holidays was doing a 15k weekly average if I'm not wrong)

Top Bottom