• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2014 (Dec 22 - Dec 28)

Fdkn

you want to say that nowadays we have the same number of retail releases we had in the previous generations ?

I don't want to say anything, you are the one who stated that 21 games were probably the whole vita Q4 trying to make your point stronger. That web shows 455 retail packages for vita in its ~3years vs 2543 for PSP in 10years. Taking into consideration how the former is underperforming versus the later, I don't think the ammount of software is its biggest problem, but the lack of enough diversity and appeal to atract bigger demographics with those titles.

I thought these threads were based on discussing facts and not our probably not so accurate feelings.

No one's crying foul about the PSV's performance being questioned. People discuss, generally in good faith, the performance of all platforms.

It's not even hyperbole that the PSV's sales are shit and it's dead platform. It's on a downward slope from a low peak due to a limited market potential being saturated.

People are however calling out stupid veiled nonsense about how OMG they must be changing their plans because look at the last few weeks, did I mention how bad these weeks have been, oh shit wait I was wrong this was only announced recently without platforms, oh they've been hiring since Feb, but still OMG suspicious they're tweeting about a mobile job posting now Quelle coïncidence considering did I mention how bad the last quarter has been! Oh I did, well let me mention it again for good measure.

If you actually want to discuss how badly the Vita is performing, just do it? Rather than taking weird roundabout nonsensical potshots.

I don't want to say anything, you are the one who stated that 21 games were probably the whole vita Q4 trying to make your point stronger. That web shows 455 retail packages for vita in its ~3years vs 2543 for PSP in 10years. Taking into consideration how the former is underperforming versus the later, I don't think the ammount of software is its biggest problem, but the lack of enough diversity and appeal to atract bigger demographics with those titles.

I thought these threads were based on discussing facts and not our probably not so accurate feelings.

I'm not talking about Vita situation but about the whole market situation regarding the amount of retail games released

I was exagerating with Vita Q4 2014? ok, but this won't change the situation, retail releases are lowering down from previous generations, so it's not only a 3DS problem, which is the point I started the discussion from

Takao

Banned
3ds is saved
6YmaWmJ.jpg

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
And this is why it's pointless to say "oh no, the 3DS has no games for 2015"....

Although I can't say I'm sure of the point of this? It's just P&D w/ Mario characters?

So April now has Bravely Second + P&D SMB edition?

random25

That was one big surprise ninja announcement. Told you there will be something big for the 3DS this year (in Japan at least) :p

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
And this is why it's pointless to say "oh no, the 3DS has no games for 2015"....

Although I can't say I'm sure of the point of this? It's just P&D w/ Mario characters?

So April now has Bravely Second + P&D SMB edition?

That's it! What's next?

Vita has a huggggggeeeee line-up! 3DS has nothing.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Okay. Now I need to see what other collaborations are in store. This is insane :lol

No, seriously, what's next? A TellTale game based in a Nintendo property?

hiska-kun

What was it?

(Spanish gaffer here)

I brought some sweets for my co-workers and friends (turrones de navidad xD), but she told me in advanced she doesn't like sweets. So I brought something different for her.
It's just a decorative thing, with images from my hometown.

Mpl90

This announcement could also be linked to what we were discussing before, i.e. Nintendo needing, at least, to get mobile devs on their platform as much as possible. Seeing this kind of efforts, i.e. them letting the devs behind the main force in the mobile market using their top franchise for an exclusive 3DS game, I'd say Nintendo cares more about getting mobile games on board than we thought, already now on 3DS. With a more powerful platform, where more modern mobile games can be released with ease, I'd say a good amount of mobile games will come.

Also, again, this falls in line with what said by Iwata back last year, about "surprising partnerships" incoming. And, really, I want to see what's next.

To close the post, this is a deal similar to Hyrule Warriors: GungHo is the publisher in Japan.

Do you see this being any bigger than P&DZ?

P&D is not as much popular as it was 2 years ago, now the most popular game on mobile is Monster Strike

this is not ti underrate the announcement, but just a clarification about P&D in general

also P&D Z brand has a different target from P&D on mobile, the former is a rpg with puzzle combat system, primarly targeted for younger audience, the latter is a puzzle game with rpg elements targeted for a wider audience

no doubts it will sell like hot cakes in GW

hiska-kun

New discrepancies:

01. [PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} - 10.390
02. [PS4] FIFA 14 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} - 36.203
03. [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥7.980) - Never charted in February and retail was 17.444
04. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes <ADV> (Konami) {2014.03.20} - 25.103
05. [PS4] Destiny <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11} - 22.029

Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty are "low"

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
this is not just a 3DS problem

Of course not, but I commented 3DS since the reason software sales stayed stable was supposed to be that Yo-kai Watch canibalized the sales of other titles.

Every system has the same problem but when you have so high software sales every year you need a big amount of released games to maintain or increase these sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seems tonight's press conference was only for PAD.

"Company CEO Kazuki Morishita, as well as GungHo Online’s product producers, will deliver new announcements and outline the company’s future developments."

...I guess they don't have much coming.

Mpl90

"Company CEO Kazuki Morishita, as well as GungHo Online’s product producers, will deliver new announcements and outline the company’s future developments."

When I've seen the news about the conference + them saying they've been readying consumer games (not mobile ones) for a while, I certainly thought about a P&D for 3DS being announced (surely not the SMB crossover, though. Still thinking the world as we knew it ended with is announcement), but also about a new Ragnarok for PS4/Vita. Strange it hasn't been mentioned. Maybe, they'll announce it at a later date.

Takao

Banned
GameArts has been MIA for a while. RO Ace shouldn't have kept them too busy.

Wouldn't surprise me if Grasshopper Manufacture has something other than Let It Die in development too.

Acquire has that TD Vita/PS3 game, but they've had multiple projects in development in the past.

Here you are the first 2015 Mario game. I was saying that one of them should have been announced soon, but this was a surprise.

Mario + puzzle genre mized with platform + P&D = $$$

duckroll

I don't think there's anything to read into here. The event description was generic and vague because they didn't want to give away what they were announcing, but it is clearly a single product announcement conference rather than a company overview conference. The Japanese wording never indicated there were multiple products, which is always an issue with unofficial translations based on assumptions.

L~A

Their 3DS Taiko no Tatsujin sales are wrong
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 might sell more in 3DS at the end

Hmm... The 3DS has sold almost 18m units, and the Vita only ~3m.

Even if the fanbase is clearly on Sony platforms, 3DS version outselling the Vita one through "brute force" doesn't sound farfetched.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think there's anything to read into here. The event description was generic and vague because they didn't want to give away what they were announcing, but it is clearly a single product announcement conference rather than a company overview conference. The Japanese wording never indicated there were multiple products, which is always an issue with unofficial translations based on assumptions.
Ah I see.

Takao

Banned
SWC3 should sell a lot more on 3DS in the end. If you want Muso on Vita, you can do a lot better than a 3DS port, including SW4-II, a game announced before SWC3 came out.

duckroll

The Gung-Ho CEO did say that early this year they have a number of surprises lined up, so this is probably just the start of it. It definitely qualifies as a major surprise. If there's nothing else in the next few months, then he would have been blowing hot air last year, but I doubt so. Lol.

noobie

Banned
I wander how much of an impact this will be?

Xbox Sales Discontinued by Japanese Store; 50% Discounted Xbox One Sells Out in Just One Morning

The Xbox One isn’t exactly performing well in Japan, and apparently some store owners are starting to wonder if it taking precious shelf space is actually worth it.
The manager of the Yorozuya store in snowy Hokuto, Hokkaido, apparently decided that it was time to stop selling Microsoft’s consoles, and issued a massive sale starting this morning, with sales of anything Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Xbox scheduled to end at the end of the month, as mentioned on Twitter.

Yorozuya1.jpg

Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One.
Due to discontinuation of sales this month, all goods will be half price!
From January 7th to January 31st.
Software, hardware, accessories are all included.
First come first serve!

Apparently, though, all it takes is a good sale to get Japanese gamers interested in Xbox One, which isn’t too different from what we’ve seen in the west with Microsoft’s Holiday price cuts, as demonstrated by a follow-up Tweet.

Yorozuya2.jpg

Today, in just one morning, Xbox One was sold out! Thank you! We still have 360 yo!

Looks like quite a few Hokuto gamers decided to brave the snow and the -2°C (28°F) to get themselves a shiny new Xbox One.
Considering the performance of the Xbox brand in Japan, that seems to have worsened with the Xbox One even compared to the less than stellar Xbox 360 generation, we’ll have to wait and see if more stores will follow the lead.
On the other hand, Microsoft could take a cue and try the route of heavily discounting the console (even if I seriously doubt they could go as far as slicing the price in half) in order to try and gain some market share like they did in the west during the Holidays. Time will tell.

Link (DualShockers)

I think Acquire said their next game is for dedicated devices, but I'd expect the conference to be mobile heavy yeah.

They announced Metropolis Defenders for PS3/Vita last year. I always assumed that's what they were referring to?

http://gematsu.com/2014/12/first-look-metropolis-defenders

I don't know how big they are to have multiple console projects on the go at once. Unless they're sticking to the smaller (Sumioni) and outsourced (Mind=0) stuff, too.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dengeki FY sw 2014 / 2013

3DS - 18.951.193 / 18.272.762
PS3 - 4.501.350 / 8.851.181
PSV - 3.866.979 / 2.707.099
WIU - 2.611.509 / 2.258.857
PS4 - 1.422.649 / 0
PSP - 601.547 / 2.769.050
XB1 - 115.271 / 0
WII - 0 / 856.231
360 - 0 / 308.775
NDS - 0 / 297.529

SUM - 32.070.498 / 36.321.484

Dengeki FY sw 2014 / 2013

3DS - 18.951.193 / 18.272.762
PS3 - 4.501.350 / 8.851.181
PSV - 3.866.979 / 2.707.099
WIU - 2.611.509 / 2.258.857
PS4 - 1.422.649 / 0
PSP - 601.547 / 2.769.050
XB1 - 115.271 / 0
WII - 0 / 856.231
360 - 0 / 308.775
NDS - 0 / 297.529

SUM - 32.070.498 / 36.321.484

3DS, PSV and Wii U increasing sw sales + PS4 couldn't offset the dramatic decline in PS4 and PSP. I was wondering, Wii still had some sw sales in 2014, are they not counted? For example SSB.

Darius

Banned
No one's crying foul about the PSV's performance being questioned. People discuss, generally in good faith, the performance of all platforms.

It's not even hyperbole that the PSV's sales are shit and it's dead platform. It's on a downward slope from a low peak due to a limited market potential being saturated.

People are however calling out stupid veiled nonsense about how OMG they must be changing their plans because look at the last few weeks, did I mention how bad these weeks have been, oh shit wait I was wrong this was only announced recently without platforms, oh they've been hiring since Feb, but still OMG suspicious they're tweeting about a mobile job posting now Quelle coïncidence considering did I mention how bad the last quarter has been! Oh I did, well let me mention it again for good measure.

If you actually want to discuss how badly the Vita is performing, just do it? Rather than taking weird roundabout nonsensical potshots.

It´s rather naive to think that these kind of sales and the general trend didn´t contribute to their decisions, that´s just ridiculous. The successor of one of their main target systems last gen completely cratered in 2012, and you think it didn´t push the idea even further to invest more in smartphone and browser games and that their announcement in February 2013 was completely unrelated? It´s great that businesses decisions aren´t made out of such clouded views on the market by completely ignoring such a notable development. My response to the more current announcement was also more tongue in cheek anyway for already mentioned reason, the big decline in the 4th quarter at the very least didn´t let them think twise about their long term plans and investments though. ;)

About beeing in good faith, you are still pushing the idea forward that this is a decision they made based on just a few weeks, implying that sales have been disappointing for a short time and the very least also implying that that´s the timeframe I based the comment on. You are missing the elephant in the room on purpose, this is based on PSVs performance in its whole lifecycle ("in good faith" sure tell this someone else).

You should start looking closer to the actual situation. You seem to have really bought completely into the PSV is up yearonyear mantra. PSV sales have been for a longer time bad than "good" and even this "good" period was mostly mediocre at best and simply based on beeing up compared to a even worse precedent sales. The only good thing about 2H 2013 and 1H 2014 sales is that it fooled some people into thinking that there is a potential for recovery by the mere fact of beeing up yoy compared to even worse precedent sales. In terms of actual units sold, sales have been mostly mediocre even in this period, sure with some spikes here and there but in general disappointing.

Seeing how you had no problem with really nonsensical comparisons (for example the declines comparisons just for the purpose to spin reality) I´ll frankly say that it´s quite funny and dishonest that you want to play the moral high ground card.

Top Bottom