• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2015 (Dec 21 - Dec 27)

samar11

I think it's more likely that third parties wanted nothing to do with the WiiU, as they have shown since the system launched 3 years ago.

NX support most likely will be a lot different, with the system probably being part handheld and all that.

Does that even matter now? Smartphones are taking sales away from handhelds.

mao2

I dont understand why the vita lineup wasn't put on wii u as well, for example.

And Japan will makes plenty of low budget, low risk games. Why aren't there train sims on wii u?
I think a better question would be why didn't Nintendo encourage third parties to make 3DS games multiplatform with WiiU, like how Vita shares many of its titles with PS3 and PS4.

I think a better question would be why didn't Nintendo encourage third parties to make 3DS games multiplatform with WiiU, like how Vita shares many of its titles with PS3 and PS4.
I believe Sony designed the hardware so that it would be easy for developers to cross develop for. Unlike Nintendo which made it a lot more difficult to develop for both platforms. Iwata acknowledged this and said that they combined hardware development teams into one building and that they plan to make it much easier on NX.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

Tech experts would know better but if I recall correctly a key reason is that the 3DS hardware is so ancient that it cannot run common middleware that every other current platform can use.

Yeah, the fact Level-5 already has two multimedia franchises to milk - Yokai Watch and The Snack World - is one of the reason why I think Inazuma Eleven is less likely to be revived, even if it's surely one of its most popular IPs.

mao2

I believe Sony designed the hardware so that it would be easy for developers to cross develop for. Unlike Nintendo which made it a lot more difficult to develop for both platforms. Iwata acknowledged this and said that they combined hardware development teams into one building and that they plan to make it much easier on NX.
Tech experts would know better but if I recall correctly a key reason is that the 3DS hardware is so ancient that it cannot run common middleware that every other current platform can use.
It can't be that difficult right? I mean, even small developers like Yacht Club Games and WayForward Technologies were able to release Shovel Knight and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on both 3DS and WiiU.

It can't be that difficult right? I mean, even small developers like Yacht Club Games and WayForward Technologies were able to release Shovel Knight and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on both 3DS and WiiU.

I think it sounded to people like you were talking about full-price/full-size retail titles.

Wait what?

Demon's Souls 36,794 314,816
Dark Souls 228,872 462,054
Dark Souls II 256,701 362,061

vs.

PS4 Bloodborne 150,245 241,737 (as of 5/31, but I don't think it was much higher?)

It may have sold fine for what it was, but I wouldn't say "it sold better" than the previous souls games...
The Dark Souls numbers you are counting here also includes the re-releases. Same for Demons Souls. Pretty sure the game was also multiplatform in Japan.

The more apt comparison is Demon Souls which had long legs and took its time in reaching the 314k number. But Bloodborne also had one of the best digital sales on PS4 until MGSV was released. It has done really well digitally and should be over 60k digitally. If you count the re-release of Old Hunters (which is just a DLC) and I think it has done well enough. Not to mention Sony was offering it for free just a few months after release which might have cut off its legs.

Korigama

Yeah. I look at it and I don't see it appealing to FE or SMT fans...maybe the small subset of Person fans who ONLY liked the school stuff, but that's about it
As a longtime SMT fan and a new FE fan, this doesn't speak for me at all. I find what we actually got more interesting than going with a Project x Zone-esque meeting of mainline SMT characters with FE characters, which gave me no reason to believe wouldn't be watered down in how it was presented when considering the themes and tone of mainline SMT. I would've been less inclined to believe that if it were Persona or Devil Survivor (both Megami Ibunroku, rather than Shin Megami Tensei) instead. Aesthetically, #FE already has the most in common with Devil Survivor, coming as little surprise with members of that franchise's team heading the project.

And for all of the braying about #FE being the definitive bomba, I see that people are quick to forget that Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. was a thing, all while featuring FE characters as guests (given the success of Fates, though, it's not likely that Intelligent Systems can be bothered to care much).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
3DS, Monster Hunter X, Splatoon, PS4 in 2016 etc. clearly there is NO money to be made outside of the mobile game business.

lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Tell that to the people who think FF Type-0 bombed despite SE saying otherwise in their financial reports.

Since you keep mentioning Type-0 success every time and like to talk for expectations from publishers and meeting goals I'm sure SE expectations for Type-0 weren't to ship more than 1 million copies and stacks of them to remain unsold at shelves.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Wait what?

Demon's Souls 36,794 314,816
Dark Souls 228,872 462,054
Dark Souls II 256,701 362,061

vs.

PS4 Bloodborne 150,245 241,737 (as of 5/31, but I don't think it was much higher?)

It may have sold fine for what it was, but I wouldn't say "it sold better" than the previous souls games...

There are more recent numbers for Bloodborne but it doesn't change many things. It's 10k more. The game had no legs and if you count digital sales which were also very frontloaded things are worse.

1*: [PS4] Bloodborne # <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.26} (¥7.452) - 150.245 / 209.274 <80-100%>
2*: [PS4] Bloodborne: Complete Edition <Bloodborne \ Bloodborne: The Old Hunters> <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥6.372) - 15.288 / 20.583 <40-60%>
Code:
+--+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|  | Famitsu  | Famitsu  | Famitsu  | Famitsu  |
|  |    1*    |    1*    |    2*    |    2*    |
|Wk|2015.03.26|2015.03.26|2015.12.03|2015.12.03|
|  |    to    |    to    |    to    |    to    |
|  |2015.12.27|2015.12.27|2016.09.04|2016.09.04|
| 1|   150.245|   150.245|    15.288|    15.288|
| 2|    23.557|   173.802|     5.295|    20.583|
| 3|     9.654|   183.456|          |          |
| 4|     5.703|   189.159|          |          |
| 5|     3.918|   193.077|          |          |
| 6|     3.307|   196.384|          |          |
| 7|          |          |          |          |
| 8|          |          |          |          |
| 9|          |   200.747|          |          |
|10|          |          |          |          |
|11|          |          |          |          |
|12|          |          |          |          |
|13|          |          |          |          |
|14|          |   203.798|          |          |
|15|          |          |          |          |
|16|          |          |          |          |
|17|          |          |          |          |
|18|          |          |          |          |
|19|          |          |          |          |
|20|          |          |          |          |
|21|          |          |          |          |
|22|          |          |          |          |
|23|          |          |          |          |
|24|          |          |          |          |
|25|          |          |          |          |
|26|          |          |          |          |
|27|          |          |          |          |
|28|          |          |          |          |
|29|          |          |          |          |
|30|          |          |          |          |
|31|          |          |          |          |
|32|          |          |          |          |
|33|          |          |          |          |
|34|          |          |          |          |
|35|          |          |          |          |
|36|          |   209.274|          |          |
|37|          |          |          |          |
|38|          |          |          |          |
|39|          |          |          |          |
|40|          |          |          |          |
+45.353 for digital

Sterok

As a Fire Emblem fan, I'm completely uninterested in #FE. As an Atlus fan, well I'm not one. Aside from Etrian Odyssey, but that has nothing to do with this. But I am a general JRPG fan who has a soft spot for idols, so if it's good (which it apparently is) I'll pick it up. I can't imagine my thought process is very common in the west. Or Japan apparently for that matter.

randomkid

As a longtime SMT fan and a new FE fan, this doesn't speak for me at all. I find what we actually got more interesting than going with a Project x Zone-esque meeting of mainline SMT characters with FE characters, which gave me no reason to believe wouldn't be watered down in how it was presented when considering the themes and tone of mainline SMT. I would've been less inclined to believe that if it were Persona or Devil Survivor (both Megami Ibunroku, rather than Shin Megami Tensei) instead. Aesthetically, #FE already has the most in common with Devil Survivor, coming as little surprise with members of that franchise's team heading the project.

I mean, if you're saying that you are somehow able to find the tone and themes of mainline SMT in #FE, that's nice and all, but the market doesn't really agree with you, considering that this game will reach a fraction of SMT4 or even Strange Journey's sales. I definitely agree though that #FE is an aesthetic extension of Devil Survivor 2, just with an even more polarizing idol aesthetic baked in to every layer of the game. This is why the game will struggle to sell even half the amount Devil Survivor reached.

You can certainly find a segment of FE and SMT's fanbase on GAF that is very interested in playing an RPG with this kind of idol aesthetic and theming, but it is very clear that this group is not large enough to sustain a game with the production values of #FE, which has to be the highest budget RPG Atlus has ever released. Maybe next time the Devil Survivor director gets Nintendo to foot the bill for such a lavish production they should think about whether anyone outside of the team will want to play the game they're making if they want to sustain a series. As it stands, #FE's first week sales are the lowest of any new Megaten RPG I can find in the modern era, lower than SMT:Nine's first week on Xbox, and comparable instead to Atlus RPG heavyweights like Nora's Time Studio and Tokyo Mono Hara Shi.

Korigama

I mean, if you're saying that you are somehow able to find the tone and themes of mainline SMT in #FE, that's nice and all, but the market doesn't really agree with you, considering that this game will reach a fraction of SMT4 or even Strange Journey's sales. I definitely agree though that #FE is an aesthetic extension of Devil Survivor 2, just with an even more polarizing idol aesthetic baked in to every layer of the game. This is why the game will struggle to sell even half the amount Devil Survivor reached.

You can certainly find a segment of FE and SMT's fanbase on GAF that is very interested in playing an RPG with this kind of idol aesthetic and theming, but it is very clear that this group is not large enough to sustain a game with the production values of #FE, which has to be the highest budget RPG Atlus has ever released. Maybe next time the Devil Survivor director gets Nintendo to foot the bill for such a lavish production they should think about whether anyone outside of the team will want to play the game they're making if they want to sustain a series. As it stands, #FE's first week sales are the lowest of any new Megaten RPG I can find in the modern era, lower than SMT:Nine's first week on Xbox, and comparable instead to Atlus RPG heavyweights like Nora's Time Studio and Tokyo Mono Hara Shi.
I never made any claims about the market agreeing with me. I also have no idea how you got "I found mainline SMT's tone and themes in #FE" from what I said (it's quite blatant that it couldn't be further removed from that). It was foolish for anyone to ever have expected to get that from this collaboration, regardless of how it turned out. Furthermore, I don't recall either Nintendo or Atlus making any claims about this being intended to become a series as opposed to a one-off. If there was something that said otherwise, then whoever has read up on that is free to correct me.

randomkid

I never made any claims about the market agreeing with me. I also have no idea how you got "I found mainline SMT's tone and themes in #FE" from what I said (it's quite blatant that it couldn't be further removed from that). It was foolish for anyone to ever have expected to get that from this collaboration, regardless of how it turned out. Furthermore, I don't recall either Nintendo or Atlus making any claims about this being intended to become a series as opposed to a one-off. If there was something that said otherwise, then whoever has read up on that is free to correct me.

Oh sorry, I read that bit about how you thought a more straightforward collabo wouldn't capture SMT themes and assumed that's what you were also looking for in #FE (also you were disagreeing with someone about how this game doesn't generally appeal to SMT or FE fans).

This game is still definitely a historic bomba tho! That quote about them wanting this to be a new series start comes from one of the dev blogs on the site, Fluxwave probably has it handy.

Korigama

Oh sorry, I read that bit about how you thought a more straightforward collabo wouldn't capture SMT themes and assumed that's what you were also looking for in #FE (also you were disagreeing with someone about how this game doesn't generally appeal to SMT or FE fans).

This game is still definitely a historic bomba tho! That quote about them wanting this to be a new series start comes from one of the dev blogs on the site, Fluxwave probably has it handy.
Very well, I'll have a look at the blogs then.

hiska-kun

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2015 (Dec 21 - Dec 27)

01./02. [3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥6.264) - 191.000 / 2.392.273 (+1%)
02./01. [3DS] Monster Strike <RPG> (Mixi) {2015.12.17} (¥4.860) - 170.000 / 607.903 (-61%)
03./04. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5) {2015.07.11} (¥4.968) - 120.000 / 2.074.591 (+16%)
04./06. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥6.156) - 98.000 / 673.977 (+16%)
05./05. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 95.000 / 1.093.667 (+10%)
06./00. [PSV] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs-Force <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.23} (¥7.344) - 87.000 / NEW
07./11. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 62.000 / 536.139 (+93%)
08./07. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.07.30} (¥4.320) - 52.000 / 1.276.517 (+5%)
09./08. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.12.03} (¥5.076) - 48.000 / 175.681 (+5%)
10./09. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2 # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.05} (¥6.145) - 44.000 / 235.930 (+12%)
11./10. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076)
12./03. [PS4] Fallout 4 # <RPG> (Bethesda Softworks) {2015.12.17} (¥8.618)
13./00. [3DS] Medarot 9: Kabuto Ver. / Kuwagata Ver. <RPG> (Rocket Company) {2015.12.24} (¥6.264)
14./00. [WIU] Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.12.26} (¥7.236) - 26.000 / NEW
15./16. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2015.11.19} (¥5.184)
16./00. [PS3] TV Anime Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls G4U! Pack Vol.7 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.23} (¥10.778)
17./19. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800)
18./29. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156)
19./21. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616)
20./24. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Returns <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.08} (¥6.145)
21./20. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.10.22} (¥5.076)
22./18. [3DS] Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2015.09.17} (¥5.076)
23./25. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
24./34. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront # <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.11.19} (¥8.424)
25./26. [3DS] Super Run For Money Tousouchuu Atsumare! Saikyou no Tousou Monotachi # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.07.09} (¥5.119)
26./37. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.776)
27./42. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800)
28./22. [3DS] Aikatsu! My No.1 Stage! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.26} (¥5.627)
29./32. [3DS] PriPara Mezase! Idol Grand Prix No.1! <ACT> (Takara Tomy) {2015.10.22} (¥5.832)
30./27. [3DS] Pokemon Rumble World <ACT> (Pokemon Co.) {2015.11.19} (¥3.996)

Top 30

3DS - 20
WIU - 5
PSV - 2
PS4 - 2
PS3 - 1

Celine

Please do, I'm curious to see how FFVIII did exactly in comparison back in the day. As for VII the game sold at least 1.1 million since then on other platforms even before PS4.
Of course I'm talking about the original run on PS1, not the digital re-release that happened many years later (this is true for Nintendo shipment data too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700).

Final Fantasy series total shipment data reported by Square Enix:

iBVtszH.png

Note: numbers updated as December 2014 were rounded by Square Enix to next 100K.
Rest is rounded to 10K.

The Dark Souls numbers you are counting here also includes the re-releases. Same for Demons Souls. Pretty sure the game was also multiplatform in Japan.

The more apt comparison is Demon Souls which had long legs and took its time in reaching the 314k number. But Bloodborne also had one of the best digital sales on PS4 until MGSV was released. It has done really well digitally and should be over 60k digitally. If you count the re-release of Old Hunters (which is just a DLC) and I think it has done well enough. Not to mention Sony was offering it for free just a few months after release which might have cut off its legs.

Also just as a reminder, Bloodborne got a Gold Prize at PS Awards 2015, meaning it shipped +500K across asia. Always good to know. Dark Souls and Dark Souls II didn't have the Gold Prize it seems.

January : 9 releases
February : 12 releases
March : 18 releases
April : 11 releases
May : 9 releases
June : 9 releases
July : 12 releases
August : 11 releases
September : 15 releases
October : 13 releases
November : 18 releases
December : 16 releases

So why are you talking about "average"?

You were taking them thats why: "12-15 games a month".

The PS4 has had a constant flow of games all year round, with new entries in all its major franchises (FF, DQ, MGS, Yakuza and the yearly western games selling more and more in Japan) and what's arguably the third best exclusive of the year for home consoles.

Most of that 2016 lineup is made of games that :

- were either part of the initial 2015 lineup and got pushed back to 2016
- will be pushed back to 2017 (because nope, SE isn't going to release DQ11, FF15, FF7r, KH 2.8 and KH3 in 2016 and I'll believe it when I see it that SCEJ will be able to release any game on time so I'm not expecting either TLG or GT to make it either).

And since you're seemingly prety slow to understand, my initial point was "at this rate, the PS4 won't be able to catch WiiU before mid 2017 since it barely move more hardware despite having a stacked year for games".

What's the context you're not understanding here? What's the comparasion between the PS4 and the WiiU that you seem to be completely oblivious to? Are you going to suggest that as far as home consoles go, the PS4 release schedule for 2015 wasn't stacked? Despite having at the worst 9 new games a month and at best 18? When just the month of november alone had almost more releases than the entirety of the WiiU this year?

And yes, I believe 2016 to be more of the same for PS4 as far as the game lineup is. Instead of some spinoffs and some major entries, we'll get some major entries and some spinoffs (FF? check, DQ? Check, Soul game? Check, Yakuza? Check, Tales of? Check). Which means, again, a prety stacked year as far as releases go but I doubt it will move a lot more systems than 2015 did (give or take 20%)

At this point, its becoming increasingly clear that you are being dense on purpose as elaborating would result in your assertion being invalidated. You have failed to address an important point from my previous which is relevant to the discussion at hand:

Averaging like that is being disingenuous and the significance of the game lineup matters.

Numerous people have already called you out on this so I guess at this point I'm just repeating but it looks like its needed.
For instance, you say,

And yes, I believe 2016 to be more of the same for PS4 as far as the game lineup is.......(FF? check, DQ? Check, Soul game? Check, Yakuza? Check, Tales of? Check).

2015:
FF Type 0 HD
FFX HD
Yakuza 0
DQH
Bloodborne

2016:
FFXV
World of FF
DQH2
DQB
DQX
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza 6 (PS4 exclusive)
Dark Souls 3
Tales of Berseria

Do you even believe the stuff you write down?

Oregano

I dont understand why the vita lineup wasn't put on wii u as well, for example.

And Japan will makes plenty of low budget, low risk games. Why aren't there train sims on wii u?

The short answer is that they don't/didn't see a need to expand to Wii U. The PS Platforms served their needs well enough on their own. FWIW the exact same conversation went on with PSP and Wii.

Handhelds are still the lifeblood of the Japanese industry.

Although Sony did a great job encouraging it developers only moved to the "PS Ecosystem" because they felt they had to. Had Vita been stronger in the west or had there been more confidence in JP console games then we'd still be seeing Vita and PS4 exclusives. To bring that back to the original question they probably felt the 3DS was all they needed, after all there's a great chance a Wii U owner owns a 3DS anyway.

DKHF

Having a mainline DQ and FF release in one year seems like the biggest (realistic) possible push the PS4 could get in Japan (from Japanese software), so it will be interesting to see how well it sells in Japan in 2016.

hiska-kun

I will update again next week without rounded numbers.

Mario Kart 8 VS Splatoon (next week over MK8 LTD?)
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   Mario Kart 8    |      Splatoon     |  Difference  | 
|    | [WIU] (2014/05/29)| [WIU] (2015/05/28)|              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | SPLTN - MK8  | 
|  1 |  325.892|  325.892|  144.818|  144.818|      -181.074|
|  2 |   73.051|  398.943|   68.913|  213.731|      -185.212|
|  3 |   42.261|  441.205|   53.198|  266.929|      -174.276| 
|  4 |   28.112|  469.316|   43.653|  310.582|      -158.734| 
|  5 |   23.520|  492.837|   37.458|  348.040|      -144.797|  
|  6 |   19.386|  512.223|   34.135|  382.175|      -130.048|  
|  7 |   15.143|  527.366|   26.136|  408.312|      -119.054|  
|  8 |   14.992|  542.358|   22.557|  430.869|      -111.489|  
|  9 |   18.129|  560.487|   24.289|  455.158|      -105.329| 
| 10 |   18.067|  578.554|   28.256|  483.413|       -95.141| 
| 11 |   20.860|  599.414|   35.620|  519.034|       -80.380| 
| 12 |   28.221|  627.635|   41.361|  560.394|       -67.241| 
| 13 |   12.075|  639.710|   23.874|  584.268|       -55.442| 
| 14 |   11.148|  650.858|   23.403|  607.670|       -43.188|
| 15 |    8.221|  659.079|   18.826|  626.497|       -32.582|
| 16 |    6.839|  665.918|   17.490|  643.987|       -21.931|
| 17 |    6.396|  672.313|   16.772|  660.759|       -11.554|
| 18 |    5.936|  678.250|   20.736|  681.495|         3.245|
| 19 |    4.517|  682.767|   14.958|  696.454|        13.687|
| 20 |    3.996|  686.763|   13.186|  709.639|        22.876|
| 21 |    3.625|  690.387|   14.680|  724.319|        33.932|
| 22 |    2.821|  693.208|   13.159|  737.478|        44.270|
| 23 |    3.170|  696.378|   11.969|  749.477|        53.099|
| 24 |    3.210|  699.588|   13.891|  763.338|        63.750|
| 25 |   13.544|  713.132|   21.098|  784.436|        71.304|
| 26 |    8.752|  721.884|   17.681|  802.117|        80.233|
| 27 |   12.742|  734.626|   23.823|  825.940|        91.314|
| 28 |   19.244|  753.870|   35.256|  861.197|       107.327|
| 29 |   24.938|  778.808|   51.138|  912.335|       133.527|
| 30 |   34.331|  813.139|   86.332|  998.667|       185.528|
| 31 |   38.637|  851.776|   95.000|1.093.667|       241.891|
| 32 |   28.403|  880.180|         |         |              |
|Total        -|1.126.412|        -|1.093.667|      -32.745|      

Monster Hunter 4U VS Monster Hunter X
Code:
|    | Monster Hunter 4U | Monster Hunter X  |  Difference  |
|    | [3DS] (2014/10/11)| [3DS] (2015/11/28)|              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  MH4U - MHX  | 
|  1 |1.446.289|1.446.289|1.488.367|1.488.367|        42.078| 
|  2 |  327.212|1.773.501|  332.478|1.820.845|        47.344| 
|  3 |  172.348|1.945.850|  192.203|2.013.048|        67.198|  
|  4 |  101.349|2.047.199|  188.225|2.201.273|       154.074| 
|  5 |   57.645|2.104.844|  191.000|2.392.273|       287.429|
|  6 |   39.502|2.144.346|         |         |              |
|  7 |   28.728|2.173.073|         |         |              |
|  8 |   27.624|2.200.698|         |         |              |
|  9 |   25.157|2.225.855|         |         |              |
| 10 |   29.418|2.255.273|         |         |              |
| 11 |   38.681|2.293.954|         |         |              |
| 12 |   51.306|2.345.260|         |         |              |
| 13 |   45.754|2.391.014|         |         |              |
| 14 |   21.453|2.412.467|         |         |              |
| 15 |   15.588|2.428.056|         |         |              |
| 16 |   12.318|2.440.373|         |         |              |
|Total        -|2.529.565|        -|2.392.273|      -137.292|      

Since you keep mentioning Type-0 success every time and like to talk for expectations from publishers and meeting goals I'm sure SE expectations for Type-0 weren't to ship more than 1 million copies and stacks of them to remain unsold at shelves.
For what it is worth, SE has done that with almost every FF. Is FFXIII a failure just because it shipped 6-7 million and the copies were in bargain bins quickly?

I don't understand why people keep talking about the 1 million shipment figure when almost every FF game has been overshipped. The figures that we get are always shipped and not sold through for them. I also didn't say Type-0 did good in Japan. It sold 100k but they had shipped a lot more and I am sure the game was in bargain bins pretty quickly. But it opened to more than 200k in NPD, which is pretty decent for an expensive PSP Remaster.

Asd202

For what it is worth, SE has done that with almost every FF. Is FFXIII a failure just because it shipped 6-7 million and the copies were in bargain bins quickly?

I don't understand why people keep talking about the 1 million shipment figure when almost every FF game has been overshipped. The figures that we get are always shipped and not sold through for them. I also didn't say Type-0 did good in Japan. It sold 100k but they had shipped a lot more and I am sure the game was in bargain bins pretty quickly. But it opened to more than 200k in NPD, which is pretty decent for an expensive PSP Remaster.

Dat FF XV demo thirst.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
There are more recent numbers for Bloodborne but it doesn't change many things. It's 10k more. The game had no legs and if you count digital sales which were also very frontloaded things are worse.

1*: [PS4] Bloodborne # <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.26} (¥7.452) - 150.245 / 209.274 <80-100%>
2*: [PS4] Bloodborne: Complete Edition <Bloodborne \ Bloodborne: The Old Hunters> <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥6.372) - 15.288 / 20.583 <40-60%>
Code:
|  |    1*    |    1*    |    2*    |    2*    |
|Wk|2015.03.26|2015.03.26|2015.12.03|2015.12.03|
|  |2015.12.27|2015.12.27|2016.09.04|2016.09.04|
| 1|   150.245|   150.245|    15.288|    15.288|
| 2|    23.557|   173.802|     5.295|    20.583|
| 3|     9.654|   183.456|          |          |
| 4|     5.703|   189.159|          |          |
| 5|     3.918|   193.077|          |          |
| 6|     3.307|   196.384|          |          |
| 7|          |          |          |          |
| 8|          |          |          |          |
| 9|          |   200.747|          |          |
|10|          |          |          |          |
|11|          |          |          |          |
|12|          |          |          |          |
|13|          |          |          |          |
|14|          |   203.798|          |          |
|15|          |          |          |          |
|16|          |          |          |          |
|17|          |          |          |          |
|18|          |          |          |          |
|19|          |          |          |          |
|20|          |          |          |          |
|21|          |          |          |          |
|22|          |          |          |          |
|23|          |          |          |          |
|24|          |          |          |          |
|25|          |          |          |          |
|26|          |          |          |          |
|27|          |          |          |          |
|28|          |          |          |          |
|29|          |          |          |          |
|30|          |          |          |          |
|31|          |          |          |          |
|32|          |          |          |          |
|33|          |          |          |          |
|34|          |          |          |          |
|35|          |          |          |          |
|36|          |   209.274|          |          |
|37|          |          |          |          |
|38|          |          |          |          |
|39|          |          |          |          |
|40|          |          |          |          |
+45.353 for digital

Actually, you should add another +60k digital sales for BloodBorne thanks the temporaney PS4 promotion. So, around 106k digital.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

How do you know SE has done it with every FF entry? Do you have similar information for every previous FF? You can bet FFXIII entering bargain quickly had impact at XIII-2 and 3 and what retailers and SE expected from these titles, sales and shipments showed it anyway.

Japan wasn't the only place in the world Type-0 shipped a lot more than what it sold and it wasn't just an expensive PSP remaster but I'm sure you know that.

hiska-kun

logical means that a year is made by 53 weeks ?

lol

Logical means that yearly calendar should make sense
For example for Famitsu next year 2016 will finish on December 25th (2016) lol

Days 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st (December 2016) will be tracked as year 2017
Wtf?

Year 2017 will have 53 weeks for Famitsu, because it will include almost a full extra week of 2016

noshten

SMM completely over-performing my expectations, honestly I didn't think it would do quite as well.

Nintendo should just offer FE# as a free game with the Wii U, perhaps after New Year a Splatoon/FE# bundle. It's not like they'd loose any sales from FE# while I think having Splatoon would continue to drive Wii U sales above 2015 levels until at least May.

Also dat Minecraft gifting Vita life, it's funny that Microsoft is keeping the Vita alive in Japan.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Monster Hunter 4U VS Monster Hunter X
Code:
|    | Monster Hunter 4U | Monster Hunter X  |  Difference  |
|    | [3DS] (2014/10/11)| [3DS] (2015/11/28)|              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  MH4U - MHX  | 
|  1 |1.446.289|1.446.289|1.488.367|1.488.367|        42.078| 
|  2 |  327.212|1.773.501|  332.478|1.820.845|        47.344| 
|  3 |  172.348|1.945.850|  192.203|2.013.048|        67.198|  
|  4 |  101.349|2.047.199|  188.225|2.201.273|       154.074| 
|  5 |   57.645|2.104.844|  191.000|2.392.273|       287.429|
|  6 |   39.502|2.144.346|         |         |              |
|  7 |   28.728|2.173.073|         |         |              |
|  8 |   27.624|2.200.698|         |         |              |
|  9 |   25.157|2.225.855|         |         |              |
| 10 |   29.418|2.255.273|         |         |              |
| 11 |   38.681|2.293.954|         |         |              |
| 12 |   51.306|2.345.260|         |         |              |
| 13 |   45.754|2.391.014|         |         |              |
| 14 |   21.453|2.412.467|         |         |              |
| 15 |   15.588|2.428.056|         |         |              |
| 16 |   12.318|2.440.373|         |         |              |
|Total        -|2.529.565|        -|2.392.273|      -137.292|      

Looking at the numbers, I think you have MHX and MH4U mixed up in the descriptor of the third column.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How do the SMTxFE fair with other SMT games? Is it really bad? okay?

If other SMT games did that badly often, their wouldn't be a SMT franchise, same with almost any game series. That was a straight bomba that made Bayonetta's 2 sales look good

Kid Ying

There are some cases. The most famous one is rodea, but there are a couple more games that stayed in Japan, like dotabata party and gotouchi tetsudou. I dont know if its hard to make, but its clear the games were made for the 3ds and ported to the wiiu. They also didnt do that well, except for gotouchi, which was a success in 3ds. Rodea sold better on the wiiu, but it sold bad anyway

FluxWaveZ

Very well, I'll have a look at the blogs then.

Yep, the comment I found was the following: https://youtu.be/ZRcGHIp8KvY?t=3m05s
We've been talking about this game like sort of a mash up of the Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem series, but I think it's a little bit more accurate to look at this as a brand new series; an entirely separate experience.
Possible mistranslation for "IP," but it's clear that given the effort put behind the title, its emphasis from the creators as a "new IP," and that concert, they would have been real ready to have further games in the "Genei Ibun Roku" franchise.

How do the SMTxFE fair with other SMT games? Is it really bad? okay?

Comparison with other Megaten debuts (Famitsu numbers)
[SAT] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (Atlus) {1995-12-25} &#8211; 264,822 / 355,656
[PS1] Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (Atlus) {1996-09-20} &#8211; 201,147 / 391,556
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (Atlus) {2004-07-15} &#8211; 93,499 / 153,421
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (Atlus) {2009-01-15} &#8211; 56,689 / 106,997
[SDC] Maken X (Atlus) {1999-11-25} &#8211; 51,613 / 70,824
[WIU] Genei Ibun Roku #FE (Nintendo) {2015-12-26} &#8212; 23,806 / NEW

Comparison with other SMT games
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (Atlus) {2013-05-23} &#8212; 188,562 / 262,150 [Media Create]
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (Atlus) {2003-02-20} &#8212; 151,203 / 245,520 [Famitsu Tracker Data]
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus) {2009-10-08} &#8212; 91,000 / 136,149 [Famitsu Tracker Data]
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax (Atlus) {2004-01-29} &#8212; 40,907 / 77,791 [Famitsu Tracker Data]
[WIU] Genei Ibun Roku #FE (Nintendo) {2015-12-26} &#8212; 23,806 / NEW [Famitsu Tracker Data]

And yeah, it had a poorer debut than SMT: Nine on the Xbox.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
1*: [WII] Wii Party # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2010.07.08} (¥4.800) - 223.595 / 2.389.549 <67,80%>
3*: [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 156.610 / 1.064.897 <80-100%>
Code:
|  |    1*    |    1*    |    3*    |    3*    |
|Wk|2010.05.24|2010.05.24|2015.05.28|2015.05.28|
|  |2011.05.08|2011.05.08|2016.05.08|2016.05.08|
| 1|          |          |   156.610|   156.610|
| 2|          |          |    81.764|   238.374|
| 3|          |          |    60.175|   298.549|
| 4|          |          |    50.008|   348.557|