• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2013 (Feb 04 - Feb 10)

Hmm I am not that pessimistic.

Well what do you expect to move the baseline? The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 (although I'm not even sure this will come this year) and Pikmin 3 will be great games but none of them will be huge games that cause a sustained impact. I'll also addend that if Nintendo shows some major 3rd party support (even ports like RE6) it could improve things. At this point there is really none of those games are reasons to buy a Wii U over the cheaper 3DS and (probably soon to be) cheaper PS3. Maybe in a vacuum Wii U could do much better than that, but it's not in one.

It might help sales a little, but I agree that it won't be by much. Dragon Quest is just another port, after both Wii Fits on the Wii I don't think that the market is still looking forward to another one (at least not at the price you would have to pay for both console and software) and while Pikmin will be a great game, I don't think it's the kind of game a lot of people will pick up console for... It'll certainly bump sales for a week or two, but that's about it.

Well I agree all these games will give the Wii U one week boosts but they'll just be Persona 4 Goldens or Hatsune Mikus that don't send the baseline any higher.

wrowa

Which software are you talking about, because yes I will eat massive crow if Wii Fit U, Dragon Quest, and Pikmin do anything to boost the baseline of Wii U. Wii U will be sub 10k most of the year until either A) a price drop B) the first big game (probably will be mario kart) releases.

It might help sales a little, but I agree that it won't be by much. Dragon Quest is just another port, after both Wii Fits on the Wii I don't think that the market is still looking forward to another one (at least not at the price you would have to pay for both console and software) and while Pikmin will be a great game, I don't think it's the kind of game a lot of people will pick up a console for... It'll certainly bump sales for a week or two, but that's about it.

Quite honestly, I think all of these games suffer from the high entry price. The Wii U is just too expensive and this will prevent any of the "not quite AAA" games to change a thing.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well what do you expect to move the baseline? The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 (although I'm not even sure this will come this year) and Pikmin 3 will be great games but none of them will be huge games that cause a sustained impact. I'll also addend that if Nintendo shows some major 3rd party support (even ports like RE6) it could improve things. At this point there is really none of those games are reasons to buy a Wii U over the cheaper 3DS and (probably soon to be) cheaper PS3. Maybe in a vacuum Wii U could do much better than that, but it's not in one.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't see the baseline staying quite that low.

Nekki

I wonder what numbers Vita will stabilize at after price drop. And to answer Nirolak, yes, Vita will outsell Wii U. Not permanently though.

Baki

I don't think so, but to be safe I think Nintendo will counter punch with more 10 cents NES games.

lol...Aren't you the guy that predicted that the WiiU would outsell the PSVita by the end of January.

Regarding the new PSVita pricedrop - I'm actually surprised they dropped the price in time with the onslaught of March games like I suggested. I'm obviously going to pretend that they took my advice for this one hahahha

lol i've never seen anybody sink there expectations more and more everytime they post a new comment.

I've been pretty consistent with my expectations since Nintendo's Wii U direct where they pretty much showed nothing huge will be coming until late summer. I'll happily eat crow if Pikmin 3 or Wii Fit U are the system sellers people seem to be expecting. I'd be curious to know what your expectations are for Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3 are.

VAPitts

I've been pretty consistent with my expectations since Nintendo's Wii U direct where they pretty much showed nothing huge will be coming until late summer. I'll happily eat crow if Pikmin 3 or Wii Fit U are the system sellers people seem to be expecting. I'd be curious to know what your expectations are for Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3 are.

well it depends but i'm not gonna be a complete and utter skeptic like u are. u did this same thing with the 3DS this past holiday and look how well it did. you can't downplay a console just because it has a rough start. it was the same with the 360 and the PS3, if not worse. let's say the sales of Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3 don't make that much of a difference, does that mean it's over for Nintendo? of course not. Nintendo knows what they're doing. they aren't perfect obviously. if there's a SNAFU then they work extra hard to correct it, believe it. instead of people having faith in Nintendo they want to do the opposite.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
ou can't downplay a console just because it has a rough start. it was the same with the 360 and the PS3, if not worse. let's say the sales of Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3 don't make that much of a difference, does that mean it's over for Nintendo? of course not. Nintendo knows what they're doing. they aren't perfect obviously. if there's a SNAFU then they work extra hard to correct it, believe it. instead of people having faith in Nintendo they want to do the opposite.

You are trully Nintendo's answer to monojoro (or Hyperion X?)

well it depends but i'm not gonna be a complete and utter skeptic like u are. u did this same thing with the 3DS this past holiday and look how well it did. you can't downplay a console just because it has a rough start. it was the same with the 360 and the PS3, if not worse. let's say the sales of Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3 don't make that much of a difference, does that mean it's over for Nintendo? of course not. Nintendo knows what they're doing. they aren't perfect obviously. if there's a SNAFU then they work extra hard to correct it, believe it. instead of people having faith in Nintendo they want to do the opposite.

What are you even talking about? First of all if you are talking about Japan I don't remember saying the 3DS would sell badly (if I did I was on crack). If you were talking about the US it had a terrible holiday. I never said Nintendo was doomed. I only said what I think would happen until bigger software comes out. Don't take it so personally.

this doom and gloom stuff gets annoying u have to admit.

The people who complain about people expressing their opinion as DOOM and GLOOM have honestly become more annoying especially when no counterargument is presented.

Pardon me for asking in this thread, but where is the Week 7 (Feb 11 - Feb 17) Media Create Sales thread?

I used the search function and I couldn't find it.

Bruno MB

[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥5.040) - 11.190 / 397.160 (+47%)

[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Namco Bandai Games) {2008.12.11} - 114.610 / 657.666
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - {2009.11.19} - 29.349 / 418.284
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 3 generations of party together! (Namco Bandai Games) {2010.12.02} - 25.343 / 270.672
[WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Definitive Edition! (Namco Bandai Games) - {2011.11.23} - 26.855 / 295.745

Elios83

PSV is going to get a sales bump from that price cut and topple the Wii U on those charts next week. :$

Price cut is effective on February 28th.
In the current week sales chart (which will be released next wednesday) we should see Vita sales dropping a lot (probably 4k level).

Oh really ?

Are people buying Wii U because they want NSMB U or are they buying NSMB U because there's nothing else to get ?
Both? Why does it matter, the numbers says it all. Nintendo Land is also holding steady at the 4k mark.

Its similar to how NSMB2 is holding steady at the 11k mark also.

m0t0k1

I was wondering if the Vita already did a "price drop"in japan by retailers. In EU almost every shop sells the wifi version for €190 or lower and with a pack in such as little big planet for €199. So it is already cheaper then a 3dsXL. Hoping they can turn things around same for Wii U.

LayLa

Demon Gaze still hanging in there
Pet Girl of Sakurasou sold terribly though, how many do those anime visual novel games have to sell to break even? they must be pretty cheap to make.

LayLa

I was wondering if the Vita already did a "price drop"in japan by retailers. In EU almost every shop sells the wifi version for €190 or lower and with a pack in such as little big planet for €199. So it is already cheaper then a 3dsXL. Hoping they can turn things around same for Wii U.

Vita is not cheaper than 3DS XL in Europe, even a cursory look at amazon.de will tell you that

Yeah ok we'll see.

Everything is dropping, its statistical noise. I didn't say it won't drop below it, I just don't think it'll drop far too below it, not that there's much to drop once you're at that level.

It certainly won't go to 4-5k when Vita I believe only had one week below 6k. At a certain point, you just hit 360 level. which is really not possible for anyone besdies MS and a system with no software at all (successor out). Also looking at the market, either the Wii U is going to have a massive recovery and the PS4 will do well or the market is looking pretty terrible.

The WiiU was only 167 units over 10k this week (Famitsu numbers).
As I said everything is dropping.

It certainly won't go to 4-5k when Vita I believe only had one week below 6k. At a certain point, you just hit 360 level. which is really not possible for anyone besdies MS and a system with no software at all (successor out). Also looking at the market, either the Wii U is going to have a massive recovery and the PS4 will do well or the market is looking pretty terrible.
Wii U's success doesn't depend on PS4's failure and vice versa. They both have work to do, as always Nintendo has their first party and PS3 with third party. I'd say Nintendo's first party is more reliable than PS4's third party. Realistically its 50/50 tbh in the end, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Laguna

Banned
What are you even talking about? First of all if you are talking about Japan I don't remember saying the 3DS would sell badly (if I did I was on crack). If you were talking about the US it had a terrible holiday. I never said Nintendo was doomed. I only said what I think would happen until bigger software comes out. Don't take it so personally.

The people who complain about people expressing their opinion as DOOM and GLOOM have honestly become more annoying especially when no counterargument is presented.

It´s not like the user he responded to is doing anything else than ridiculing everyone who doesn´t agree with the WiiU is doomed mantra, without any argument.

Top Bottom