• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2014 (Feb 10 - Feb 16)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That's exactly the problem I see here. 64 to Melee was a big jump. Melee to Brawl was another big jump. And yet this time they don't seem to be focusing on that at all. It's a change of focus that will likely just kill the Wii U version. The 3ds version should do fine, since it doesn't need to be a system seller, but I don't think it'll do as well as previous entries either if all the promotion for the game so far hasn't been misleading.

What the fuck is this?

Effer

With 3DS saturated and Wii U not recovering, Iwata can't reveal his finger and earlobe QoL sensors fast enough.

Are you guys looking forward to playing Wii Music with your earlobe? I know I am.

15./17. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2013.10.10} (¥7.770) - 5.904 / 707.610 (+2%)

1QG

I have no words.

jett

D-Member
Donkey Kong Country Returns:

The game debuted third on the Japanese video game charts, with 163,310 units sold,[37] and it has sold 638,305 copies in Japan as of January 2, 2011.[38]

These games really are being wasted on the Wii U.

With 3DS saturated and Wii U not recovering, Iwata can't reveal his finger and earlobe QoL sensors fast enough.

Are you guys looking forward to playing Wii Music with your earlobe? I know I am.

I don't think 3DS is saturated, but it's clearly time for them to release a new 3DS model.

lol @ the smash bros. comment. They don't even have to reveal anything to do with the game before release. How many games out there reveal anything let alone to this extent? Yet some people assume what they show is all we will get.

Ty4on

whats with this vita #champion shit when 3ds is selling twice as many?

Vita YTD doubled while 3DS YTD halved. Do the math and next year it will double the 3DS :D

Hope the DKC sales means the next Nintendo games won't all be retro platformers. I don't see why you should blame the WiiU for the poor sales when Returns just did 160k on the Wii and 100k on the 3DS. It's just not that popular of a series and the sequel was just more of the same. Great if you're a fan, but it would never set the world on fire.

NeonZ

Did you not catch my sarcasm? Content has never been a problem with Smash, in fact, one of the problems people had with Brawl was that the Dojo basically revealed everything in the game, there weren't that many surprises left when the actual game launched.

I caught it. I think content has never been a problem for Smash since Melee, but I fear that it might be a problem this time considering the way the game is being promoted.

Brawl's launch and marketing campaign wasn't a problem. It sold millions at launch, and still sold millions through the years afterwards.

God forbid they actually want to show changes to the engine that came under scrutiny with Brawl...

Look at the sales of fighting games in general currently. Focusing on balance and high level tweaks doesn't sell games. Making that the focus of the marketing is basically taking a road to irrelevance.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't fix Brawl's gameplay problems, but minor gameplay tweaks shouldn't be large part of the information we've gotten about the game for months. I'm starting to fear that this really is the focus the development of this game is taking, rather than an overall experience, and that'd be a big mistake.

What the fuck is this?

I'm talking about game content. The only non multiplayer battle related feature we've seen for this new smash through all this time has been... one picture of one trophy, which isn't exactly a new or exciting feature. If the game doesn't actually introduce anything new and significant, it won't be a system seller, I think the sales of many Wii U titles would have shown that already.

Effer

I don't think 3DS is saturated, but it's clearly time for them to release a new 3DS model.

I'm with you there, but how do you improve on the XL significantly enough that everyone is willing to drop $200 all over again? With delightful little brand-name tablets selling for $150 these days, I'd really rather have one of those.

Kid Ying

The next retail release for wiiu is not mario kart. There will be a new sku next month without mario u and wiiu party, but with wiiu sports and 2k yen cheaper. After that in april Theres famicom remix and just dance, another franchise that had big sales on Wii that will crater.

rjc571

Banned
Vita YTD doubled while 3DS YTD halved. Do the math and next year it will double the 3DS :D

Hope the DKC sales means the next Nintendo games won't all be retro platformers. I don't see why you should blame the WiiU for the poor sales when Returns just did 160k on the Wii and 100k on the 3DS. It's just not that popular of a series and the sequel was just more of the same. Great if you're a fan, but it would never set the world on fire.

You realize the Wii version of DKC Returns sold over a million copies in Japan, right? It's an extremely popular series in Japan.

BlackJace

I caught it. I think content has never been a problem for Smash since Melee, but I fear that it might be a problem this time considering the way the game is being promoted.

Brawl's launch and marketing campaign wasn't a problem. It sold millions at launch, and still sold millions through the years afterwards.

Look at the sales of fighting games in general currently. Focusing on balance and high level tweaks doesn't sell games. Making that the focus of the marketing is basically taking a road to irrelevance.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't fix Brawl's gameplay problems, but minor gameplay tweaks shouldn't be large part of the information we've gotten about the game for months. I'm starting to fear that this really is the focus the development of this game is taking, rather than an overall experience, and that'd be a big mistake.

Now I'm thinking that you're not reading. Dojo did EXACTLY what you wanted; they revealed mode after mode, stage after stage, and secret after secret. It got crazy hype yes, but when the actual game released, some were dismayed to find out that Dojo revealed almost EVERYTHING.

They're simply just trying to keep the game's secrets under wraps (secrets being kept secrets? Shocking) this time around.

I'm seriously not understanding you.

duckroll

If the 3DS isn't saturated why are the sales slipping so much year to year? Requiring a new model to hopefully bounce sales by getting existing owners to upgrade is also the very definition of a saturated market.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wonder how many more games have to under perform, or in this case completely bomb, on Wii U before the fanbase starts to see how bad things really are.

I'm with you there, but how do you improve on the XL significantly enough that everyone is willing to drop $200 all over again? With delightful little brand-name tablets selling for $150 these days, I'd really rather have one of those.

It didn't have price drop ever since the orginal big price reduction.

And when all software released for it is more of the same it's not expanding into new user groups.

Bruno MB

[WIU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.02.13} (¥5.985) - 43.301 / NEW <40-60%>

Here goes another "key first-party title" that was supposed (on Iwata's mind) to build momentum. Next title in just 3 months.

[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.02.06} (¥5.490) - 108.650 / 545.727 <80-100%> (-75%)

I expected a slightly better second week drop (around 65 - 70%). Anyway, 75% is not bad, specially for a jrpg with a strong debut. I guess that it will end up selling about 750.000 - 800.000 units.

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 31.831 / 431.276 <80-100%> (+33%)

Yo-kai Watch sales stats

Source: Famitsu

Code:
July, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 101.136 / NEW

August, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 54.884 / 156.020 (-46%)

September, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 37.493 / 193.513 (-32%) 

October, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 17.359 / 210.872 (-54%) 

November, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 11.988 / 222.860 (-31%)

December, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 63.593 / 286.453 (+430%)

January, 2014

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 60.586 / 347.039 (-5%) 

February, 2014 

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 84.237 / 431.276

5 biggest weeks:

Week 1 - 52.901
Week 32 - 31.831
Week 2 - 28.707
Week 30 - 28.423
Week 31 - 23.983

Digital sales:

September, 2013 - 1.175
October, 2013 - 914 
December, 2013 - 2.206

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 431.276
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch (Digital sales) <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 4.295

Total - 435.571

CronoShot

I think it's about time Nintendo released the 2DS in Japan.

It's really starting to run out of gas, even with such a great lineup.

So how would that indicate that the market isn't saturated. New models and colours sell to existing owners looking to upgrade unless there is a significant change to draw in new buyers. There isn't anything Nintendo could do in the latter category so that leaves selling to the existing base.

Into

They goddamn better port Tropical Freeze to the 3DS now and recoup at least something. Ill buy 10 copies of the 3DS version.

Not bloody likely though

watershed

Banned
Lol at everything Wii U. It's not even worth Nintendo's 1st party developers' time anymore to make games foe this system. Even their best offerings are day 1 bombas.

Yaoibot

Wii U is dead and it ain't coming back. Smokey Dave's prayers and offerings have kept the Vita stable another week, and it was generally a flaccid affair for software releases. Think that sums it up.

NeonZ

They're simply just trying to keep the game's secrets under wraps (secrets being kept secrets? Shocking) this time around.

Before the Japanese launch, the dojo only covered starting features of the game, no secrets at all. I'm sorry, but if they don't attempt to advertise big selling points for the game, there's no reason to assume that they magically exist.

There's a chance that the marketing will take a different form closer to launch, but the complete silence on anything outside of the basic multiplayer so far doesn't really give much confidence.

Into

I wonder how many more games have to under perform, or in this case completely bomb, on Wii U before the fanbase starts to see how bad things really are.

I wonder how many of those 1.6 million Wii U's are even plugged in or used in Japan, i have a hard time accepting a million Wii U owners sitting around daily, seeing DKTF and saying "meh...seems like a bad game" and only 40-50 k of them buying it first week.

Kysen

Nintendo should cut its losses now and just port everything to 3DS and wrap it up. What is the point of wasted already stretched development resources only to see results like this?

sphinx

the piano man
I wonder where can Nintendo go from here.

I can understand the masses not embracing the WiiU but what's going on with the Nintendo diehard, why won't they buy? Did they hate everything on Wii?? Why won't it follow a gamecube trajectory instead of this disaster?

my first guess is that gamers are large, nintendo fans or otherwise, don't want outdated hardware, period and that's basically the console's cancer. I guess is up for debate though.

I wonder whether nintendo can release hardware mid-generation that is a suitable companion for the PS4.

I think genre fatigue plays a part in Donkey Kong's poor performance.

Nintendo has release too many platformers in such a short period of time.

3DS is nearing a 50% decline while Vita is nearing a 300% increase. Certainly did not expect this in both cases. Did not expect the 3DS to decline so much and have no idea why the Vita is holding all of a sudden.

Wow a big drop on 3ds
3DS is nearing a 50% decline while Vita is nearing a 300% increase. Certainly did not expect this in both cases. Did not expect the 3DS to decline so much and have no idea why the Vita is holding all of a sudden.
I'm posting this because people keep expressing surprise at the drop in sales when the exact same thing happened with the DS. Let's compare 2007 to 2008 DS for the same week.

Media Create Week 7, 2007: NDS - 136,999
Media Create Week 7, 2008: NDS - 62,362

Like 3DS, DS had two monster years previously and 2008 marked the year where it would hit saturation point (though, DS was of course doing it at a consistently higher level than 3DS) aka settling for 'normal' sales - I think that's the same thing happening with the 3DS here. A drop was inevitable. The kind of sales the 3DS put out the last couple of years are not normal for any hardware to consistently do YoY, for example, 2012 3DS >>>>> any post-2007 year for the DS in Japan. I think a new model isn't the solution because 3DS will never reach those heights, more importantly, I think a strong software schedule is what's needed and that's what kept the DS afloat for years though the market is also a little different now and 3DS doesn't quite have the consistent level of support the DS enjoyed.

Mr Swine

Banned
So anyone think that Nintendo may release a 3DSi this year with better specs until next year where they announce and sell the next generation handheld? I think that sales will be a lot worse next year like 15-30k if it keeps on dropping 50% each year. More troubling is that Vita is selling better than ever and will probably sell more than 3DS next year.

Yokai Watch has shipped over 500k. These are not combined numbers with eShop sales. They're shipment numbers for the retail version. Pretty impressive I must say. Looks like Level5 has a new franchise which actually has traction. Hope they don't waste it too quickly.

Please be excited for Yokai Watch 2 : Spark, Yokai Watch 2 : Bomber, Yokai Watch 2 : The Ogre

Kid Ying

I wonder how many of those 1.6 million Wii U's are even plugged in or used in Japan, i have a hard time accepting a million Wii U owners sitting around daily, seeing DKTF and saying "meh...seems like a bad game" and only 40-50 k of them buying it first week.
In the last three months wiiu sold something like 500 to 600k. Unless those people bought the system specifically to play mario 3d world ans the games that come with the console, theres a fair share of people that should be buying games.

Wiiu had a good holiday, but the fanbase that came with it didnt translate in more sales, at least With DK. Thats a problemas nintendo should adress fast. Lets ser if mario kart will suffer the same fate.

Top Bottom