• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2014 (Feb 10 - Feb 16)

AmanoBuff

Wow, great numbers! Even more so considering the PS4's initial shipment and that those are the sales of just a couple of days. Definitely encouraging overall.

Now let's see how sales for the system behave in the next few weeks.

I said 300k iirc. Nearly the entirety of Sales GAf underestimated the launch.

you wanna compile the average for the official monthly competition and then come back?

edit: hey look Bravely Default snuck in at #50 in Media Create while FFXIII: LR isn't there :lol

edit2: and would you look at that, the average there was 338,780, all that overestimating
you in particular made that nice 450k prediction

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Sony's best bet for the PS4 at this point is to try and convince/finance publishers to do some quick port-overs a la the Vita based on the strong launch.

It's a good start, but they need follow up content however they can get it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think Sony's best bet for the PS4 at this point is to try and convince/finance publishers to do some quick port-overs a la the Vita based on the strong launch.

persona 4: platinumium

L~A

Not sure if it was already posted, but Media Create apparently believes Dragon Quest Monsters 2 might end up outselling Dragon Quest Monsters : Terry's Wonderland 3D. Their reasoning is : TW3D had some severe shortages post-launch, and provided DQM2 got ample supply, it could well start outselling TW3D in its 3rd week.

TW3D : 83,000 copies in week 2, 596,512 copies total.
Dragon Quest Monsters 2 : 118,000 copies for week 2, 562,083 copies sold.

Do we know when exactly TW3D got new shipment, back in 2012?

Well, I'm not 100% convinced, but let's see how it goes. I guess that not having any shortages might lead more people to buy the game (instead of buying used/not buying the game at all).

Source

Definitely need to get the next persona ported to PS4 at launch. Shouldn't be a difficult task, but this is SCEJ were talking about

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate should be a good bet, right? :p

Coming soon: Lighting Returns: The Ultimate Trilogy in Full HD 60 fps exclusively on the PS4.

hmm...what are we looking at for PS4 week 2?
looking at Wii U/Vita week 2s, they're both harsh drops, but the Vita's was definitely worse

and it obviously isn't gonna follow the 3DS week 1-->week 2 trend, so that's out

hmm...what are we looking at for PS4 week 2?
looking at Wii U/Vita week 2s, they're both harsh drops, but the Vita's was definitely worse

and it obviously isn't gonna follow the 3DS week 1-->week 2 trend, so that's out
I expect a similar drop to VITA since software wise, the situation seems to be the same for both IMO.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was guessing 150k-200k for the PS4, so it sold upto more than double from what i expected. Not bad :)

weak console sales = shifting game development to handhelds and mobile i guess (no stopping this imo to be honest). or developing their games to be more "western" are the two main things i see posted
True. I think that the console market will still excist in a good amount in Japan for the years to come regardless though.

Or maybe they wanted the numbers to tell us something we don't already really know?
We already had info that the PS4 shipment was max 350k and that it wasnt completely sold out everywhere. Based on this, i wonder what number that wouldnt be anticlimatic. It couldnt go much higher than 322k at least.

Jamix012

I was guessing 150k-200k for the PS4, so it sold upto more than double from what i expected. Not bad :)

True. I think that the console market will still excist in a good amount in Japan for the years to come regardless though.

We already had info that the PS4 shipment was max 350k and that it wasnt completely sold out everywhere. Based on this, i wonder what number that wouldnt be anticlimatic. It couldnt go much higher than 322k.

This is true, but pretty much any number over 300k would be anti-climactic with that shipment number. That doesn't stop it from being anti-climatic.

I'm putting my neck out on the line, as I did in the other thread, and predicting we'll see harsher %drop for the PS4 than we did for the Wii U and Vita on week 2. Only really because it's not a holiday, but it's my prediction none the less. I'm ready (and somewhat hoping) to eat crow though.

Will be interesting to see the effect of PS4 on Vita and Vita TV sales.
It might bump the VITA sales if Remote Play is something that the Japanese desire. Since they have got pretty good connection in Japan, and they usually travel a lot, maybe remote play will have more success there.

That's not really putting one's neck on the line. It will be incredibly surprising if it holds anywhere near as well as those holiday launches.

EDIT: on further inspection there's a reasonably large disparity between the percentage drops of PSV (75%) and Wii U (58%) though. It could potentially be between them. Vita iirc launched in the biggest shopping week of the Japanese year, while Wii U launched a week before?

Glass Joe

Fantastic PS4 launch numbers, I don't get why everyone started predicting so low these last few pages. Not sure how it will hold up over time, but definitely a great start.

Jamix012

That's not really putting one's neck on the line. It will be incredibly surprising if it holds anywhere near as well as those holiday launches.

EDIT: there's a reasonably large disparity between the percentage drops of PSV (75%) and Wii U (58%) though. It could potentially be between them. Vita iirc launched in the biggest shopping week of the Japanese year, while Wii U launched a week before?

Oh Hm. Well I think it'll be around the same as the Vita's drop, but a little more. Perhaps it's not putting one's neck on the line, but considering all the people lauding the PS4's launch, a drop harsher than the Vita would put things more into perspective.

I admit i was one of those who expected the PS4 to underperform. Mainly because i was basing my predictions on SW sales, but yeah like other people said it seems like people are buying the system atm based on its future potential rather than the current line-up.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
322k is kind of impressive. From the impressions posted here, it didn't look too hot. So well done! Let's see if they can keep momentum the next month.

Oh, and this thread is going to be like the PAL thread for a while now, with Knack gifs everywhere, isn't it? *sigh*

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I said 300k iirc. Nearly the entirety of Sales GAf underestimated the launch.

you wanna compile the average for the official monthly competition and then come back?

edit2: and would you look at that, the average there was 338,780, all that overestimating
you in particular made that nice 450k prediction

lol, did you make that brag post when you yourself was 130k high? :D

allan-bh

Nice sales, far for impressive, but better than general consensus.

Second an third week sales will be very interesting to watch. First week alone doesn't mean too much.

Road

Solid PS4 launch. Now we can start counting the days until it's under 10k!

Hopefully Dengeki will give us their sell-through estimates. Recapitulating:

3DS: 374k / ~85% => ~440k
Vita: 318k / ~60% => ~530k
Wii U: 311k / ~85% => ~365k

Hmm Natural Doctrine is coming to PS4,PS3 and PSV - will be interesting to see how sales split on that.

Hmm... Do you know how to operate a microscope?

TheChaos0

I'm still surprised that none of the Japanese publishers invested (almost) anything into the PS4, you would think at least one of them would see the opportunity to sell on the platform that will lack software competition (as far as Japanese centric titles go). It's in their own interests to have PS4 sell well in Japan, if they are interested in console market. I guess they are just not that interested,

Shengar

320k is better than I expected. I thought it gonna be around 250-280k. But the party will.over short, since there is an uphill battle against terrible software lineup ahead.

320k is better than I expected. I thought it gonna be around 250-280k. But the party will.over short, since there is an uphill battle against terrible software lineup ahead.

If you go back in this thread it's better than most people expected, predictions ranged from 100 to 250k.

I fear for the months after launch, I don't think any significant title has been announced for the Q3/Q4 periods.

Zalman

I believe the PS4 will see a slow decline in Japan considering there aren't really enough big Japanese games coming out for it in the near future.

TheChaos0

I believe the PS4 will see a slow decline in Japan considering there aren't really enough big Japanese games coming out for it in the near future.

I don't think there's a question about it. What would be interest to see how far can next-gen interest carry it.

Sony could definitely invest into some port-ups just to keep things rolling.

Shengar

Sony needs to be proactive to attract developers and publishers for their platform. Otherwise they'll just keep chasing mobile money and ignore PS4 altogether.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is true, but pretty much any number over 300k would be anti-climactic with that shipment number. That doesn't stop it from being anti-climatic.

I'm putting my neck out on the line, as I did in the other thread, and predicting we'll see harsher %drop for the PS4 than we did for the Wii U and Vita on week 2. Only really because it's not a holiday, but it's my prediction none the less. I'm ready (and somewhat hoping) to eat crow though.
If someone expected over 300k and knew that 350k was the highest number possible to achieve, that is true. But what would be concidered not anti-climax if the highest number could be around 350k? The way i see it, it could only be a lower number. And just for the record, i'm not saying that the guy who earlier mentioned the anti-climax was expecting a lower number. Its possible that not everyone saw the 350k max shipping number and expected more.

Yeah, i agree that the PS4 will sell less next week compared to what WiiU did, and maybe Vita too, but i'm more unsure about that. I think its a pretty safe bet to say that the PS4 wont sell somewhere around 122k next week like the WiiU did in its 2nd week :) Personally, i'm expecting maybe somewhere around 60k - 90k for the PS4 next week because its not a holiday season, the interest will go down and maybe there can be some stock issues as well. But i think it will mostly be because of a non-holiday period and general lack of interest.

Lexxism

Do we have any numbers for all handheld launch sales? I know that 3DS did 370k while Vita around 300k. How about the others like NDS, PSP etc.

allan-bh

Do we have any numbers for all handheld launch sales? I know that 3DS did 370k while Vita around 300k. How about the others like NDS, PSP etc.

[Nintendo Game Boy Advance] 611.504 (5 days)
[Nintendo DS] 441.485 (4 days)
[Sony PlayStation Portable] 166.074 (1 day)
[Nintendo 3DS] 371.326 (2 days)
[Sony PlayStation Vita] 321.407 (2 days)

RalchAC

Sony needs to be proactive to attract developers and publishers for their platform. Otherwise they'll just keep chasing mobile money and ignore PS4 altogether.

I understand why they'd keep making games on the PS3, but if I were a mid-size publisher (Namco, SEGA, Tecmo, even Konami) I'd go to Sony and offer a PS4 version in exchange of some "help". I don't think they'll say no considering there aren't that much games to be offered.

IMO franchises like Yakuza, Tales of, PES, Dynasty / Samurai Warriors going cross-gen would help both the PS4 and the publisher in the long term. The former for obvious reasons, the later because building a fanbase in the new platform before going full exclusive will A) make less "violent" the transition between platforms, so sales on the old platform could be reached sooner and B) reach new users while there still is a drought.

I understand why they'd keep making games on the PS3, but if I were a mid-size publisher (Namco, SEGA, Tecmo, even Konami) I'd go to Sony and offer a PS4 version in exchange of some "help". I don't think they'll say no considering there aren't that much games to be offered.

IMO franchises like Yakuza, Tales of, PES, Dynasty / Samurai Warriors going cross-gen would help both the PS4 and the publisher in the long term. The former for obvious reasons, the later because building a fanbase in the new platform before going full exclusive will A) make less "violent" the transition between platforms, so sales on the old platform could be reached sooner and B) reach new users while there still is a drought.

Seems like Japanise publishers are set on course to repeat exactly the same mistakes they did with PSP->PSV transition.

Top Bottom