• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

Road

Apparently the price drop in Japan is causing sellouts in stores for the Vita right now.

I would not be surprised if the system outsold the 3DS this week. It would be the first time, right?
http://twitpic.com/c7hjt9
7381702539zcaj.jpg

200k next week confirmed.

(Red for sold-out, black for in stock.)

lupin23rd

Surprised people aren't snapping up the 3G models first since the prices are evened out now.

If I get a Japanese 3G Vita can I bring it back and use it here in North America?

Dalthien

JP likes Sony home consoles.

Do they though?

PS1 ~ 21% of ww PS1 market
PS2 ~ 14% of ww PS2 market
PS3 ~ 12% of ww PS3 market

Just using hardware totals for each gen, Japan's % of worldwide market was:

PS1/Saturn/N64/GB ~ 24%
PS2/XBox/GC/DC/GBA/WS ~ 17%
PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP ~ 16%

If we pull XBox/360/WS from the picture, since these systems basically either don't exist in Japan or exist only in Japan...

PS1/Saturn/N64/GB ~ 24%
PS2/GC/DC/GBA ~ 18%
PS3/Wii/DS/PSP ~ 19%

Regardless of how you look at it, Sony's home consoles have always sold less (as a percentage) in Japan than Japan's marketshare worldwide. On top of that, this discrepancy grew to it's biggest level yet (which makes sense given Japan's shift towards handhelds this past gen) with the PS3 - particularly when you discount the 360, which contributes a negligible percentage of its sales to Japan.

There is absolutely nothing that suggests that Japan has any unusually strong appetite for Sony's home consoles vs. other gaming systems (particularly when looking at the past decade).

saichi

With so much attention focused on the upcoming systems (a general desire for them is palpable), I don't think many gamers want to shell out close to what a PS4 system will cost (3/4) - to be behind the curve again (emphasis on again), especially people who had a Wii.

I also feel that PSV will see a slow, but steady ascension in the charts. If my hunch is correct, that a desire for PS4 is palpable on JP - a true next gen system - you'll begin to see people picking up a Vita, if they plan to follow Sonys system.
My basis/the reason for steady Vita ascension, is not hinged as much on the games, as much as it is on Sony delivering remote play on all (except camera) PS4 titles. If JP is as hungry for next gen as we are, and they also seem to be portable enthusiasts - they are going to start prep with a Vita to have the best of both worlds, If Sony delivers on their remote play directive.

I don't think the logic is flawed.

I'll break it down: Wii U is too similar to a generation we are moving beyond. Gamers everywhere know this. Wii was behind in tech: fool me once, but not twice. They are going to adopt PS4, as evidenced by stalled WiiU numbers - especially now that its a known entity with detailed plans. Leads to Vita:
You'll begin to see it steadily rise for remote play reasons, as PS4 launch ramps closer to release.

You don't think your logic is flawed because you see your two assumptions as fact.

1. PS4 will sell truck load in Japan because it's the true "next gen".

2. VITA will sell significant better in Japan cause people would buy it to play PS4 games. And people will start buying before PS4 launch.

I forgot to add, but was going to:

A lot of this gens HD and majority of console AAA third party games were PS3/360. They simply weren't on Wii. Which to me says, that subset of gamer isn't going to bet on WiiU, either. The possibility of playing those upcoming PS4 home console games, over wifi - anywhere - is a selling point. That was also best of both reasoning, they can play their home console games anywhere (on their portable) if they have a PSV and PS4.
This won't sell Vitas through the roof, but it will sell Vitas - to people who wanted one and want PS4 and like portables (JP likes portables and Sony home consoles).

So you theory is like this. People who bought Wii would say no to Wii U cause they were fooled by Wii once and won't be fooled again. People who bought PS360 would say no to Wii U cause they didn't buy Wii last time and it's unlikely they will buy Wii U this time around.

No wonder Wii U has no future in your eyes.

EDIT: Dalthien addressed the JP likes Sony home console point.

My question: Does anyone know how many PSV's the stores had for sale? If they sat on low stock (system had been stagnant, less dead inventory), is a sellout a big deal?

We just have 0 parameters for sellout to inventory ratios

Well, that's the question. Probably not that many, but we'll find out when the numbers come in.

kswiston

Do they though?

PS1/Saturn/N64/GB ~ 24%
PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP ~ 16%

If we pull XBox/360/WS from the picture, since these systems basically either don't exist in Japan or exist only in Japan...

PS1/Saturn/N64/GB ~ 24%
PS2/GC/DC/GBA ~ 18%
PS3/Wii/DS/PSP ~ 19%

Regardless of how you look at it, Sony's home consoles have always sold less (as a percentage) in Japan than Japan's marketshare worldwide. On top of that, this discrepancy grew to it's biggest level yet (which makes sense given Japan's shift towards handhelds this past gen) with the PS3 - particularly when you discount the 360, which contributes a negligible percentage of its sales to Japan.

There is absolutely nothing that suggests that Japan has any unusually strong appetite for Sony's home consoles vs. other gaming systems (particularly when looking at the past decade).

Why are you pooling Handhelds and home consoles together?

Do they though?

PS1/Saturn/N64/GB ~ 24%
PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP ~ 16%

PS1/Saturn/N64/GB ~ 24%
PS2/GC/DC/GBA ~ 18%
PS3/Wii/DS/PSP ~ 19%

Could it be that 3DS perfectly satisfies the average consumer, in regard to what they want from Nintendo? Thus, relegating WiiU to unnecessary, seeming in JP 3DS is doing more than fine?

I didn't realize Sony had such low stake in JP - but if you compare just home systems - completely removing the handhelds, does Sony perform better than the numbers you posted?

Handhelds consume the JP market, but they also muddy water. Seeing they sell larger numbers than most systems - it dilutes the picture giving huge proportions of "free market share". If you compare Nintendo/Sony - home console to home console, how do the numbers compare from PS1->current.

BadWolf

Good stuff for Vita but, like others have mentioned, we don't know the context. Numerous times it was mentioned here iirc that stores there were cutting back on shelf space for Vita.

It will be funny if something like this ends up happening in Japan.

20070309.jpg

lol

Dalthien

Why are you pooling Handhelds and home consoles together?

Because that's the dedicated gaming market? If you want to pull handhelds out and show that the home console market is down >20% this gen despite being a longer generation, and the PS3 is down almost 60% from the PS2, I'm not sure how that changes the conclusion that Japan does not seem to have a special affinity for Sony home consoles.

Could it be that 3DS perfectly satisfies the average consumer, in regard to what they want from Nintendo? Thus, relegating WiiU to unnecessary, seeming in JP 3DS is doing more than fine?

Sure, that's a possibility.

I didn't realize Sony had such low stake in JP - but if you compare just home systems - completely removing the handhelds, does Sony perform better than the numbers you posted?

Handhelds consume the JP market, but they also muddy water. Seeing they sell larger numbers than most systems - it dilutes the picture giving huge proportions of "free market share". If you compare Nintendo/Sony - home console to home console, how do the numbers compare from PS1->current.

Handhelds consume the Japanese market now, but that just further disproves your assertion that the PS4 will automatically be a hit because Japan likes Sony home consoles. If they liked Sony home consoles so much, the handhelds wouldn't have taken over Japan this past generation.

For your comparison, Sony vs Nintendo within Japan (but this disguises the fact that home consoles in general were down > 20% from the previous gen despite a longer cycle. Home consoles from any company have a lot of work to do to regain favour in Japan).

PS1/N64 ~ 80/20
PS2/GC ~ 85/15
PS3/Wii ~ 42/58

disco

I think Vita will hit 15k either side of 100k. It's selling out because stores had one dusty unit in stock lol.

evangd007

You're making a large number of conjectures here, ignoring the most obvious one: consoles don't matter in Japan anymore. 3DS doesn't satisfy the average consumer with respect to Nintendo, it satisfies the average consumer, period.

I wish to know what about the PS4 makes you think it will launch well in Japan. The PS3 launched with limited software and struggled in Japan. I don't see the brand loyalty here. The Vita launched with a Western-focused lineup and struggled in Japan. Judging from what we know about the PS4 right now, it appears as if it will have a Western-focused lineup like the Vita. It doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

Vita can sell out all it wants, but I know a few smaller stores around here only had 2-3 models left after not restocking their first or second orders from last year.

SmokyDave

Well at least, he's realistic. People get into the "sold out" thing too easily. How much of stock ? We don't know, all we know is that the console was bombing hard in Japan, so stocks might not have been high.
All that matters is that there is a small level of desire present. It ain't gonna shift 100k units, it ain't gonna outsell the 3DS next week, it ain't going to stay above 15k for more than 3 or 4 weeks. Regardless, after 6 months or more of 'it's dead' the image above is a pleasant 'fuck you, I'm still breathing'.

I just find it amusing that some need to be 'realistic', lest the celebrations become too heady.

All that matters is that there is a small level of desire present. It ain't gonna shift 100k units, it ain't gonna outsell the 3DS next week, it ain't going to stay above 15k for more than 3 or 4 weeks. Regardless, after 6 months or more of 'it's dead' the image above is a pleasant 'fuck you, I'm still breathing'.

I just find it amusing that some need to be 'realistic', lest the celebrations become too heady.

The image above is a "We sold out our Vita stock"
But what Vita stock ? The new one they ordered because of the price drop ? Or the one collecting dust ?
There's no death or breathing, cause there's no numbers.

kswiston

Because that's the dedicated gaming market? If you want to pull handhelds out and show that the home console market is down >20% this gen despite being a longer generation, and the PS3 is down almost 60% from the PS2, I'm not sure how that changes the conclusion that Japan does not seem to have a special affinity for Sony home consoles.

I just think the handheld data conflates some of the trends in Japanese home console preference vs the rest of the world. Especially in the PS1 generation where you are lumping in the Gameboy LTD (which launched in 1989) with consoles that launched in 1994-1996. Obviously home consoles are way down this generation compared to the PS2 generation, and the PS3's performance is only good if you compare it to the historical performances of second place systems with no context on how Sony was doing last gen.

Also, you quoted my name to someone else's post in your third point.

test_account

XP-39C²
This talk about how much stock or not makes me think of "old faithful" lol. That PS3 that "never" sold, that Vinnk mentioned. Anyone remember that?

marrec

Banned
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but shouldn't stock be as flush as it's been in months because of all the fancy new bundles/colors?

SmokyDave

But what Vita stock ? The new one they ordered because of the price drop ? Or the one collecting dust ?
From what scant reports we have, the Vita can be described as 'selling out'. Does that mean 10 units? 100 units? 100,000 units? Nobody knows.

The fact is, the Vita isn't supposed to be selling at all. It's a 'dead' format. By that metric, it's exceeding many peoples expectations immeasurably.

Of course, you're free to believe that this is the final clearance sale of a handful of old stock before retailers cease to stock the device at all and you might well be right.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but shouldn't stock be as flush as it's been in months because of all the fancy new bundles/colors?
Do we know if anyone even ordered any of the new bundles? Do we know if Sony even made more than one of each? We just don't know.

DGRE

Banned

You just seem a little too invested at this point...

Mr Swine

Banned

Not only that, i remember GameCube getting a pricedrop and had SSBM (not sure if they where at the same time) and everyone on the Internet said GC was saved. Hardware sales dropped back to what it was before the price drop

From what scant reports we have, the Vita can be described as 'selling out'. Does that mean 10 units? 100 units? 100,000 units? Nobody knows.

The fact is, the Vita isn't supposed to be selling at all. It's a 'dead' format. By that metric, it's exceeding many peoples expectations immeasurably.

Of course, you're free to believe that this is the final clearance sale of a handful of old stock before retailers cease to stock the device at all and you might well be right.

Selling out doesn't mean selling well, that's my point.
I can see your point, I can see your enjoyment because you're kinda a Vita fan (no offense here, since I'm not English native speaker, I'm using words I can) and I also share this enjoyment, but at this point, it's more like a blur situation. We do know it's selling out, but not what it's selling. And I hope it's selling well because Sony needs to sell more Vita, and 3DS needs more competition.

Top Bottom