• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

Let's be honest here, the Vita software chart would look a lot better if you included sales from online shops like Amazon Japan and psn digital sales, neither of which existed at the time of the Dreamcast (well, online shops did, but they were a much smaller chunk of the market). For example, when Demon Gaze was listed as selling 28K or thereabouts in Media Create, the creators said it had actually sold 50K (when online and digital sales were added). Similar situation with Ys Celceta (which Falcom said sold better than they expected).

Charting high on Media Create and being profitable to game developers and hardware makers are two different things. Depending on the platform and the availability of the media for sale, they may or may not coincide. To put it in perspective, the Media Create sales of all iOS games would be 0. That's one extreme end of the spectrum, with Nintendo games not available on the eshop at the other end. Vita's software is somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

Wait what? Do you mean the ones that never got released?

Khrno

Let's be honest here, the Vita software chart would look a lot better if you included sales from online shops like Amazon Japan and psn digital sales

The Vita software chart? And what about the PSP, PS3, 3DS and even Wii U software charts? They don't benefit from online shops or digital sales? Your argument is flawed when you try to make Vita games look better while ignoring all the other platforms.

If Vita was gonna sell 100K+, wouldn't we have 1st day numbers by now? I seem to remember getting it for 3DS and PS3 post price drop. I think some people are having unrealistic expectations.

Sony sure loves turning things around for their systems.

If Sony is able to turn the vita HW around WW, no one will ever doubt them again. If they are able to turn it around in Japan, I'll never talk shit about their consoles or businesses ever.

Baby steps, so first thing they need to do is outsell the 360, which needs another 400k.

Novid

Banned
If Vita was gonna sell 100K+, wouldn't we have 1st day numbers by now? I seem to remember getting it for 3DS and PS3 post price drop. I think some people are having unrealistic expectations.

If Sony is able to turn the vita HW around WW, no one will ever doubt them again. If they are able to turn it around in Japan, I'll never talk shit about their consoles or businesses ever.

Baby steps, so first thing they need to do is outsell the 360, which needs another 400k.

I still got a problem with Vevo though. That me and Sony will forever be at odds in.

Sandfox

Are we expecting the Shinovi Versus to sell on par/better than the 3DS games? This one is a spinoff that plays differently but I don't if that's a good thing or not lol. The anime is currently airing as well so that could bump sales as well.

hongcha

The Vita software chart? And what about the PSP, PS3, 3DS and even Wii U software charts? They don't benefit from online shops or digital sales? Your argument is flawed when you try to make Vita games look better while ignoring all the other platforms.

I wasn't talking about other platforms, I was responding to a comment about Vita software being "embarassing" in sales and older platforms like the Dreamcast having better sales numbers than the Vita. Of course all the software numbers of other currently available platforms will look better, to various degrees, if online sales and digital sales are included. That's beside the point.

Depends on what your definition of turn around is.
I wasn't talking about other platforms, I was responding to a comment about Vita software being "embarassing" in sales and older platforms like the Dreamcast having better sales numbers than the Vita. Of course all platforms will look better, to various degrees, if online sales and digital sales are included. That's beside the point.

Unless digital sales for Vita actually approach retail numbers, Vita's software sales have been terrible regardless.

If Vita will outsell 3DS next week, it will be something epochal. I think that since its price cut, it always stayed at number 1.

Since the 80 weeks since the 3DS price cut, the 3DS has been outsold twice in total. By the PS3 on 05/09/2011 and on the Wii U launch week 03/12/2012. For when the PS3 outsold it, the 3DS sold 49,191 and the PS3 sold 62,266. For when the Wii U outsold it, the 3DS sold 219,103 and the Wii U sold 308,570.

Didn't Yves Guillmot (Ubi CEO) say that Bita downloads are proportionately high for the platform, more than others when discussing vita during fiscal reports?

Yeah, it was just a quick comparison of generational figures (Japan vs world). And the GameBoy was a beast that spanned multiple generations (and I was too lazy to go and break it down post-1994 or whatever). But the overall conclusion wouldn't change at all.

Oops. Fixed. :)
You're presumably using sell-through data as a percentage of shipment data. You're also including a period in which Nintendo held a monopoly on handhelds. Even when competition entered the handheld market Nintendo have still maintained a firm grip on the market. I don't think the handheld and home console markets necessarily follow the same patterns.

It doesn't seem like a very good comparison, nor can the conclusion Japan is necessarily unfavorable (or favorable) towards Sony be drawn.

Dalthien

It doesn't seem like a very good comparison, nor can the conclusion Japan is necessarily unfavorable (or favorable) towards Sony be drawn.

The point I was making was that you can't say that Japan has some special love for Sony home consoles. And you just said that the conclusion that Japan is necessarily favourable towards Sony can't be drawn - which is the same point I made. So we agree!

L Thammy

Does anyone know roughly when the information in Garaph was last updated? And is there any good place to post Excel files online?

In two of the charts the colours of the lines are different (per system) compared to the other three charts.

I'm sorry, but could you be more specific? I briefly looked things over, but I can't see the issue.

I guess Wii U is doing better than ok then as long as it stays ahead of PS3.

For a bit of context, Wii U's fourth week was week 52 in Media Create. You can see that that the cumulative hardware sales are flattening at that point.
The PS3's ninth week was week 52 in Media Create. You can see that the sales had picked up and then dropped off at that point.
The software situation was unmistakeably worse than the Wii U at that time and Torne hadn't come out yet.

http://twitpic.com/c7hjt9
7381702539zcaj.jpg

200k next week confirmed.

(Red for sold-out, black for in stock.)

Perfect. I'm a 3DS guy myself, but damn do I love the Vita hardware, and seeing it do well gives me hope yet.

donny2112

Something just hit me. Nintendo got the final devkit out lats Summer after some long tweaking with some fairly significant changes. That corresponded with the "We got HD development on track last Summer" type statement put out by Nintendo. Maybe they decided to go back and add in the effects they wanted to do with Pikmin 3 but couldn't due to the buggy devkits until then, and that's what pushed it out of the December/Pikmin 1 Anniversary timeframe. And since it was now not going to be able to make it by December, they decided to take their time and really polish up. "Delayed game eventually released; Bad game bad forever" mantra. And now, they're just reevaluating when to release it to try to make it part of some turnaround for the system instead of just giving it a random date.

Just thoughts. The devkit/"We got HD development on track" stuff coincides, but the rest is just speculation. It'd at least explain how Pikmin 3 still doesn't have a release date, yet.

Wii Fit U would not be in the same situation, though. If they're taking significant extra time now with that, then it's most likely to add actual new exercise games to the package and not just polish up what's there. Maybe add DLC hooks, so there won't be a need for a Wii Fit U Plus, except for those who don't download stuff online?

serplux

Something just hit me. Nintendo got the final devkit out lats Summer after some long tweaking with some fairly significant changes. That corresponded with the "We got HD development on track last Summer" type statement put out by Nintendo. Maybe they decided to go back and add in the effects they wanted to do with Pikmin 3 but couldn't due to the buggy devkits until then, and that's what pushed it out of the December/Pikmin 1 Anniversary timeframe. And since it was now not going to be able to make it by December, they decided to take their time and really polish up. "Delayed game eventually released; Bad game bad forever" mantra. And now, they're just reevaluating when to release it to try to make it part of some turnaround for the system instead of just giving it a random date.

Just thoughts. The devkit/"We got HD development on track" stuff coincides, but the rest is just speculation. It'd at least explain how Pikmin 3 still doesn't have a release date, yet.

Wii Fit U would not be in the same situation, though. If they're taking significant extra time now with that, then it's most likely to add actual new exercise games to the package and not just polish up what's there. Maybe add DLC hooks, so there won't be a need for a Wii Fit U Plus, except for those who don't download stuff online?

It goes like this: if I have something to play and a game's being delayed for better content, I don't mind. I really liked that they added multiplayer for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, for example, since I'm busy with Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey, and that's going to make it a lot better game with more replayability.

If there's nothing I can play, I want the damn game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nintendo put out their projections for the year and these sales were certainly not expected based on those projections. They looked at the November and December sales and thought they would be able to sustain themselves for a few months before the reality set in.

Good to see next level might have a sustained relationship with Nintendo. Nintendo should many many more of these types of western relationships though. And they should not all be focused on making Nintendo IPs that Nintendo doesn't have the staff to make.

They also have a great relationship with Kuju (Battalion Wars series, Geo Wars Galaxies, Art Academy series) and its London studio (Headstrong of HotD: Overkill fame), which always developed new IP/non-Nintendo IPs for them. They should actually reinforce such relationship, imo.

Does anyone know roughly when the information in Garaph was last updated?

Iirc a couple of months ago.

Let's be honest here, the Vita software chart would look a lot better if you included sales from online shops like Amazon Japan and psn digital sales, neither of which existed at the time of the Dreamcast (well, online shops did, but they were a much smaller chunk of the market). For example, when Demon Gaze was listed as selling 28K or thereabouts in Media Create, the creators said it had actually sold 50K (when online and digital sales were added). Similar situation with Ys Celceta (which Falcom said sold better than they expected).

Charting high on Media Create and being profitable to game developers and hardware makers are two different things. Depending on the platform and the availability of the media for sale, they may or may not coincide. To put it in perspective, the Media Create sales of all iOS games would be 0. That's one extreme end of the spectrum, with Nintendo games not available on the eshop at the other end. Vita's software is somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

It would look better, sure. But it would still be pretty embarassing. Look at that: http://gamedatamuseum.web.fc2.com/psvita.htm

Then of course, ultra-niche developers are happy even with 20k units, and that's not a novelty. Games like Demon Gaze (in terms of production values) were released every week for PSP; Vita doesn't need only those games, but bigger projects. Of course you cannot expect to sell millions of units if the hardware just crossed the million mark, but the highest selling game is below 250k units. That's depressing.

Also, as many others said, also other platforms don't have digital downloads counted. For example, we know that Animal Crossing sold very well on eShop, and also Fantasy Life performed well there. NSMB2, instead, sold 40k units on eShop the launch week alone, so it's probably now higher in downloads than any other Vita game.

Since the 80 weeks since the 3DS price cut, the 3DS has been outsold twice in total. By the PS3 on 05/09/2011 and on the Wii U launch week 03/12/2012. For when the PS3 outsold it, the 3DS sold 49,191 and the PS3 sold 62,266. For when the Wii U outsold it, the 3DS sold 219,103 and the Wii U sold 308,570.

Thanks!
Well, still epochal if to overcome it we have a Vita and not a new platform just launched :p

Sony is pushing DD harder with Vita than any other platform (except pc of course) with every game being available DD day 1 (or at least week 1 depending on store update). WiiU, PS3 and 3DS have gotten better but still don't compare.

Like you said the base sales are pretty low so even with good download %'s (Ubi says 15-20%, Miku was >10% iirc) its not a huge deal in the overall picture unless that platform itself becomes alot more healthy.

serplux

It would look better, sure. But it would still be pretty embarassing. Look at that: http://gamedatamuseum.web.fc2.com/psvita.htm

Then of course, ultra-niche developers are happy even with 20k units, and that's not a novelty. Games like Demon Gaze (in terms of production values) were released every week for PSP; Vita doesn't need only those games, but bigger projects. Of course you cannot expect to sell millions of units if the hardware just crossed the million mark, but the highest selling game is below 250k units. That's depressing.

Also, as many others said, also other platforms don't have digital downloads counted. For example, we know that Animal Crossing sold very well on eShop, and also Fantasy Life performed well there. NSMB2, instead, sold 40k units on eShop the launch week alone, so it's probably now higher in downloads than any other Vita game.

Woah, I'm pleased Ocarina of Time 3D is doing pretty well. I was a bit discouraged that Skyward Sword sold pretty pitifully in Japan, but I think the new 3DS Zelda around a million.

Sony is pushing DD harder with Vita than any other platform (except pc of course) with every game being available DD day 1 (or at least week 1 depending on store update). WiiU, PS3 and 3DS have gotten better but still don't compare.

Like you said the base sales are pretty low so even with good download %'s (Ubi says 15-20%, Miku was >10% iirc) its not a huge deal in the overall picture unless that platform itself becomes alot more healthy.

Of course, Vita will surely have higher % in terms of digital downloads. But that doesn't mean that the other platforms don't have good digital sales as well. We know a lot of successes on eShop, mainly because of physical constraints, but still (Bravely Default, Fantasy Life, Animal Crossing).

test_account

XP-39C²
Does anyone have the weekly sales numbers for Dreamcast?

Demon Gaze is a vaguely related spin-off from Students of the Round, which was originally released on PC, and then ported to 360 and PSP (selling 5k each).
Thanks for the info :)

As far as we know, one point does seem to equal one preorder. You'll even see the comg points drop occasionally when someone cancels a preorder.
I see, thanks. How many stores does Comgnet have?

I think hes was only referring to that the Media Create and Famitsu numbers would look differently if the Vita didnt have any digital download available. Using Media Create and Famitsu numbers only for Vita (and other systems that push digital downloads heavily as well, but Vita was mentioned in specific earlier) isnt showing the exact picture. While older systems like Dreamcast had no digital downloads available, so the Media Create and Famitsu numbers showed the full picture. I'm not saying that the Vita download sales are huge, but since this isnt counted in the sales trackers, we dont know the exact picture.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait. How do we know NSMB2 did 40k on eShop at launch? Just by comparing MC and Famitsu datas?

Thanks!
Well, still epochal if to overcome it we have a Vita and not a new platform just launched :p
I can't understand how you could say vita software sales are low without mentioning that it hardly gets any high profile games. The biggest games that vita had gotten so far is persona and miku. The best selling persona game is at 300k. Didn't the vita version sell like 215k(not including digital downloads). The ps2's base was probably 20 million+ when the Persona games came out. Did miku not sale similar to the other games on other platforms with a much higher install base? If vita had monster Hunter, final fantasy, Dragon quest, resident evil ect. and they were only selling 250k you would have a point but when you look at the amount of vitas out there its not really bad at all. I doubt there is any dev that has made a game for vita and didn't make a profit.

Celine

Let's be honest here, the Vita software chart would look a lot better if you included sales from online shops like Amazon Japan and psn digital sales, neither of which existed at the time of the Dreamcast (well, online shops did, but they were a much smaller chunk of the market).
Of course it would but we are talking about a chart that have just 3 games over 100K...

Tiops

I can't understand how you could say vita software sales are low without mentioning that it hardly gets any high profile games. The biggest games that vita had gotten so far is persona and miku. The best selling persona game is at 300k. Didn't the vita version sell like 215k(not including digital downloads). The ps2's base was probably 20 million+ when the Persona games came out. Did miku not sale similar to the other games on other platforms with a much higher install base? If vita had monster Hunter, final fantasy, Dragon quest, resident evil ect. and they were only selling 250k you would have a point but when you look at the amount of vitas out there its not really bad at all. I doubt there is any dev that has made a game for vita and didn't make a profit.
IIRC, Atlus said that P4G sold around 260k units in Japan (including DD).

Software sales are low.
It is true that it did not receive any big game.
But it is also true that games that were used to perform really well on PSP (hence they found a viable market on handheld), they underperformed on Vita. Gundam, Tales of, Dynasty Warriors, Minna no Golf all sold quite poorly. I think Innocence R is one of the worst selling Tales of ever, and it's on a Sony platform, where even crappy games like Tales of VS. can have a market. As for Miku, well, it just sold 120k units less than the previous main entry on PSP. Lower userbase? Of course, but we could see how many games perform anyway nicely with not so big installed base (like MGS).

Wait. How do we know NSMB2 did 40k on eShop at launch? Just by comparing MC and Famitsu datas?

I remember that we extrapolated that numbers from Iwata's statement. Brain Training sold 20k digitally and NSMB2 around 40k.

I think hes was only referring to that the Media Create and Famitsu numbers would look differently if the Vita didnt have any digital download available. Using Media Create and Famitsu numbers only for Vita (and other systems that push digital downloads heavily as well, but Vita was mentioned in specific earlier) isnt showing the exact picture. While older systems like Dreamcast had no digital downloads available, so the Media Create and Famitsu numbers showed the full picture. I'm not saying that the Vita download sales are huge, but since this isnt counted in the sales trackers, we dont know the exact picture.

Given the few reports we know, even adding digital downloads, the situation is embarassing. Of course, with such abysmal hardware sales, it's not that it could have done much better. But I'm pretty sure the "full picture" is not that better.

Road

Dengeki Sales: Week 08, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

01. (__) [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Konami) - 311,549 / 311,549 [ST*: ~60% => 519,000]
02. (01) [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshitachi (Square Enix) - 78,635 / 1,080,395 (-58%)
03. (02) [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) - 75,717 / 2,602,543 (-3%)
04. (__) [3DS] Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic (Bandai Namco) - 26,909 / 26,909
05. (__) [PSP] Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Ensemble (Bandai Namco) - 14,753 / 14,753
06. (03) [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - 9,941 / 1,858,614 (-18%)
07. (04) [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Chougoukaban (Bandai Namco) - 8,689 / 393,401 (-8%)
08. (06) [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate [Best Price!] (Capcom) - 7,189 / 214,851 (-18%)
09. (05) [3DS] Fantasy Life (Level 5) - 6,750 / 252,949 (-26%)
10. (__) [WIU] Tank! Tank! Tank! (Bandai Namco) - 6,125 / 6,125
11. (07) [3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo) - 5,489 / 518,820 (-19%)
12. (__) [PSP] Grisaia no Kajitsu: Le Fruit de la Grisaia (Prototype) - 5,215 / 5,215
13. (10) [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo) - 5,035 / 477,911 (-18%)
14. (08) [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Chibi Dragon to Fushigina Orb (Bandai Namco) - 4,944 / 422,404 (-24%)
15. (09) [3DS] Run For Money Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-tachi kara Nigekire! (Bandai Namco) - 4,470 / 455,675 (-31%)
16. (11) [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) - 4,300 / ? (-20%)
17. (__) [PSP] Desert Kingdom Portable (Idea Factory) - 3,975 / 3,975
18. (14) [3DS] Magician's Quest: Mahou no Machi (Konami) - 3,322 / ? (-26%)
19. (17) [WIU] Nintendo Land (Nintendo) - 3,239 / ? (-22%)
20. (16) [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Version (Square Enix) - 3,211 / ? (-23%)

*ST: sell-through rounded to the nearest 5% => estimated copies shipped.

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/606/606572/
http://news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html (backup)

Dengeki Sales: Week 07, 2013 (Feb 11 - Feb 17)

Previous Dengeki Posts (Thanks Cap. Smoker!)
2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012

Software sales are low.
It is true that it did not receive any big game.
But it is also true that games that were used to perform really well on PSP (hence they found a viable market on handheld), they underperformed on Vita. Gundam, Tales of, Dynasty Warriors, Minna no Golf all sold quite poorly. I think Innocence R is one of the worst selling Tales of ever, and it's on a Sony platform, where even crappy games like Tales of VS. can have a market. As for Miku, well, it just sold 120k units less than the previous main entry on PSP. Lower userbase? Of course, but we could see how many games perform anyway nicely with not so big installed base (like MGS).

I remember that we extrapolated that numbers from Iwata's statement. Brain Training sold 20k digitally and NSMB2 around 40k.

Given the few reports we know, even adding digital downloads, the situation is embarassing. Of course, with such abysmal hardware sales, it's not that it could have done much better. But I'm pretty sure the "full picture" is not that better.
How big was the psp userbase when those games came out? Do you think that the developers lost any money on those games? I'm pretty sure they at least made a nice profit, which is what really matters at the end off the day.

Alrus

I wasn't talking about other platforms, I was responding to a comment about Vita software being "embarassing" in sales and older platforms like the Dreamcast having better sales numbers than the Vita. Of course all the software numbers of other currently available platforms will look better, to various degrees, if online sales and digital sales are included. That's beside the point.

Even if you included those, the Vita numbers would still be embarassing compared to the Dreamcast or the GC.

QaaQer

wrt digital sales, we have no information except that which the companies decide to give us. So it is all speculation which unfortunately makes sales threads of little worth. We don't know what the dd #s are for Vita, end of story.

As far as anecdotal evidence goes, I buy lots of dd stuff for my android & PS devices, but I'm very hesitant to buy anything that is hardware tied. My egocentricity makes me think everybody is like me, so Nintendo dd #s must be lower, but I have no real idea. Vita %-tages could be lower than 3DS for all I know.

I really wish we had dd numbers. :-(

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
First day sellthrough

Dynasty Warriors - 50%
Layton - 30% (300k initial shipment)
Senran Kagura - high
Dragon Ball - 60%
Shining Ark - 50%
Phantasy Star - 70%
Touch Detective < 40%

Ice Silver Vita Wi-Fi (30k initial shipment)

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, its possible. Should be interesting to know the total amount of digital download sales though =)

Wii sold more 3rd party software in 2012 than Vita. Wii!
It is positive that all of the ~12 million Wii owners hadnt completely abandoned the Wii in 2012 at least.

That's a low shipment, they were not expecting to sell much.
I think around 30k somewhere is a pretty standard amount for a new color on a system.

First day sellthrough

Dynasty Warriors - 50%
Layton - 30% (300k initial shipment)
Senran Kagura - high
Dragon Ball - 60%
Shining Ark - 50%
Phantasy Star - 70%
Touch Detective < 30%

Ice Silver Vita Wi-Fi (30k initial shipment)

It seems Layton will not increase much from the previous one. They have to revitalize the series, a home console entry?

Nice for Dragon Ball, and being a game for kids, it will sell well during the weekend.

How big was the psp userbase when those games came out? Do you think that the developers lost any money on those games? I'm pretty sure they at least made a nice profit, which is what really matters at the end off the day.

It depends. For example, Minna no Golf and Dynasty Warriors I'm referring to were launch titles, exactly as for Vita. Tales of Eternia, the first Tales of on PSP, was released a few months after the launch. Etc.

saichi

funny you used Miku as example.

http://andriasang.com/con2lc/miku_sequel/

It's either they didn't make money or below expectation which made Sega to decide to release the game on PS3.

Also, there is no evidence for your claim that shows every game released on VITA made money. Please don't say it like a fact.

Alrus

Yep, Layton won't sell much over its initial shipment. They kinda squandered the "long" wait potential of this entry by releasing Layton Vs AA just a few months before it.

They should put the series to rest for a while.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Looking at previous post-cut bumps for ps3 and 3ds and looking at those sold out situations, I think that Vita will surprise positively more than onf Gaffer.

About the Wii U, the more it goes ahead the more GC LTD numbers are probable

about Layton, considering also Fantasy Life and Inazuma Eleven shipments, it seems that they are starting to manage the first distributions more wisely than before.

Top Bottom