• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

Is there something you've heard that would suggest one thing or another outside of this conjecture?

A lot of publishers are looking to expand the idea behind project ten dollar.

It may not be straight activation codes, but many want significant content locked on used discs. It doesn't have to be system level to be annoying.

Who knows if it will pan out or if they even end up doing it, but some publishers (and not all of them western) want to go for a long walk in some dark woods in 2014.

AzaK

A lot of publishers are looking to expand the idea behind project ten dollar.

It may not be straight activation codes, but many want significant content locked on used discs. It doesn't have to be system level to be annoying.

Who knows if it will pan out or if they even end up doing it, but some publishers (and not all of them western) want to go for a long walk in some dark woods in 2014.

In the future everything will be in app purchases apart from the main menu.

And, sadly, they haven't much else to show in Japan. They really need a japan-centric Nintendo Direct and some announcements.

Their first party one a few weeks back was good but alot of that stuff is too far away to get really excited about yet.

They really need something to fill in the gaps in the near future. A bunch of announcements would show support is there in the long term but if it is all holiday targeted stuff that's not going to help the current grind.

Even if it is just ports/multiplats for the middle of the year that may not push alot of hardware but they at least keep their current customers engaged in the system rather than looking elsewhere for their gaming.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Their first party one a few weeks back was good but alot of that stuff is too far away to get really excited about yet.

They really need something to fill in the gaps in the near future. A bunch of announcements would show support is there in the long term but if it is all holiday targeted stuff that's not going to help the current grind.

Even if it is just ports/multiplats for the middle of the year that may not push alot of hardware but they at least keep their current customers engaged in the system rather than looking elsewhere for their gaming.

If they don't at the very least announce either Wii Fit U or Pikmin in time for Golden Week they have officially lost the plot.

netBuff

I'm glad you can do this too.

Pretty much anyone with a smartphone can do this, selling a home console using a Google Street View gimmick is pure insanity - if they are advertising the system like this in Japan, no wonder they aren't selling much.

I know, but I doubt that this function is their main focus now, it's just a random advert. :p

They're probably trying to show off some of the capabilities that could be interesting for the mainstream audience.

And, sadly, they haven't much else to show in Japan. They really need a japan-centric Nintendo Direct and some announcements.

I highly doubt Street View on a device tethered to the TV is interesting to many consumers at this point. That's not even an ancillary reason to get Wii U.

Well, if you actually try it, the appeal is a little bit more apparent. It's extremely snappy to navigate, much moreso than any other device I've used Google Maps on, and the high-res panoramas really come alive on your TV. The point is not to get directions or orient yourself, but to "explore" foreign locales (or even familiar ones). To this end, it's quite an interesting and enjoyable little tool.

But, as I said, it's not exactly a selling point for the Wii U. Or, at least, it shouldn't be. Just a neat app to spend a few minutes with here and there. And they certainly shouldn't charge for it.

I think everyone did this on their computers when Street View launched a few years back.

QaaQer

Pretty much anyone with a smartphone can do this, selling a home console using a Google Street View gimmick is pure insanity - if they are advertising the system like this in Japan, no wonder they aren't selling much.

I highly doubt Street View on a device tethered to the TV is interesting to many consumers at this point. That's not even an ancillary reason to get Wii U.

I think everyone did this on their computers when Street View launched a few years back.

And the fact that it is 'free until 5/31' will make people shake their heads. It's like charging for gmail access.

zroid

Banned

There's no need for snark. I'm just saying it's more fun than you'd expect. I was flabbergasted by the audacity of Nintendo to make this a "thing" when first announced, but I've warmed up to it since trying it for myself.

Dalthien

It could be a publisher decision like region locking. It could be activation codes as standard. It could be blocking as standard. Or it could be nothing.
Yeah, we don't know anything for certain yet, but if Microsoft goes ahead with some sort of mechanism for blocking used games (tying game to a specific system, activation codes, fee for playing used games, etc.), I would bet dollars to donuts that they would only be doing so if they had some assurances from their major publishing partners that those publishers would be using similar restrictions on the PS4 as well. If MS blocks used games on 720, then my guess would be that Sony's stance for the PS4 will be that it is up to the publishers to decide what they want to do. If the publisher wants to allow used game access, then they can. If they want to use some method to block used game access, then Sony will likely include that ability within the PS4.

If (and this is still a big IF - we don't even know this for a fact yet, afaik) MS disallows all used game access on 720, then I wouldn't be surprised if MS even goes so far as to mandate that if a publisher wants to release their game on 720, then they can't allow used game access for that title on another system.

idlewild_

Yeah, I'm also wondering if they can be viewed anywhere.

They're on tsutaya and comgnet's sites.

The titles are flipped around quite a bit on the charts between the two chains, but they're both fairly PS heavy, just a bunch of new titles for those systems this week?

If (and this is still a big IF - we don't even know this for a fact yet, afaik) MS disallows all used game access on 720, then I wouldn't be surprised if MS even goes so far as to mandate that if a publisher wants to release their game on 720, then they can't allow used game access for that title on another system.

Then they will become the next Nintendo as no 3rd party is going to be forced into doing that for all of their games. Even if they agree with the idea that used games are bad, the level of control that pushes would send MS straight off into the abyss.

Anyway, the more disgusting part about that Street App isn't the fact that they are advertisting it, but the fact they are actually advertising the fact that it is free and will no longer be free after a period. It's as if they really think people are going to pay money for such a thing which makes me wonder what Nintendo really thinks people value in terms of spending money.

Dalthien

Then they will become the next Nintendo as no 3rd party is going to be forced into doing that for all of their games. Even if they agree with the idea that used games are bad, the level of control that pushes would send MS straight off into the abyss.

Well, that's why I'd assume that they would already have assurances from their big partners that the partners are on board with blocking used games. If the publishers aren't on board, then there's nothing in it for MS to pursue the policy anyway. They'd just be driving a boatload of core/heavy gamers right to the PS4. Gamestop is the top-dog retailer in gaming revenue for a reason - tons of the heavy console gamers rely on selling back used games.

Besides, Microsoft already demanded content parity and release date parity from 3rd-parties this generation, so demanding some sort of used game access parity wouldn't be all that different.

Lexxism

aGWRWoh.jpg

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/03/03/64391.html

lol

Damn Nintendo. Do they really want to waste money that badly? :lol

hiska-kun

Can you post them here, or would you care to elaborate? (Sorry I can't read japanese so even googling it wouldn't help)

COMG is not much accurate for weekly rankings. Tsutaya is better.

Tsutaya chart:

01 (__) [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 (Koei Tecmo)
02 (__) [3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies (Level 5)
03 (01) [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Konami)
04 (__) [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei (Marvelous AQL)
05 (__) [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2: Special Package (Sega)
06 (__) [PSP] Shining Ark (Sega)
07 (02) [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden (Square Enix)
08 (03) [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo)
09 (__) [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission (Bandai Namco Games)
10 (__) [PS3] Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe (Bandai Namco Games)
11 (__) [3DS] Touch Detective: Nameko Shigeru (Success)
12 (__) [PS3] Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe [30th Anniversary Edition] (Bandai Namco Games)
13 (¿?) [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (Bandai Namco Games)
14 (07) Dragon Quest X: The Five Awakening Races Online (Registration Code)
15 (09) Animal Crossing: New Leaf (DL version)
16 (__) [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei [Niu Niu DX Pack] (Marvelous AQL)
17 (06) [3DS] Fantasy Life (Level 5)
18 (10) [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) (Capcom)
19 (11) [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
20 (12) [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition (Square Enix)

http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html

donny2112

- Tousouchuu breaks 500k shipped. Game from the popular Sentouchuu series announced (no platform mentioned).

To put it into English friendly terms, Run For Money shipped 500K, and they're making a game from the spinoff Battle For Money.

Pretty much would have to be on 3DS, so it's just a question of what other platforms it will be on.

To put it into English friendly terms, Run For Money shipped 500K, and they're making a game from the spinoff Battle For Money.

Pretty much would have to be on 3DS, so it's just a question of what other platforms it will be on.
I wonder whats there for 3DS when it reaches 15M? DQ12? Whats even left that is likely to jump ship? FF? I think the most interesting thing for the 3DS is which big games it will receive and the kind of support it will get in general, considering its already going to receive all the major games already. Maybe this is the era third parties might give more focus to the mid tier games and franchises. I wouldn't mind seeing BoF and Viewtiful Joe again.

"Shall we go to the beach?"
"Why bother. I can get an immersive 360° view of it right here and now on this 6-inch screen."

The feel of a holiday.
Nintendo also going for the mid-tier, people who are too poor for a holiday but can afford a Wii U right now. They going upstream, baby steps and all.

Tsutaya chart:

04 (__) [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei (Marvelous AQL)
12 (__) [PS3] Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe [30th Anniversary Edition] (Bandai Namco Games)
16 (__) [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei [Niu Niu DX Pack] (Marvelous AQL)

How can Tsuyaya be "better"? They are doing the same exact thing, just reporting the top selling games at their store.

noobie

Banned

Tsutaya chart:

look like not much improvement should be expected from PSV Hardware if the top PSV game is at Number 4 only.

so PSV hardware should be around 30 - 35k?

tiku

look like not much improvement should be expected from PSV Hardware if the top PSV game is at Number 4 only.

so PSV hardware should be around 30 - 35k?

Well, Tsutaya it's just an extrapolation as Comgnet is.

Still, I doubt Vita games have shipped a ton of copies.

Considering PSO2 is a free Vita download, I wouldn't expect much from the physical version. That's be silly.

Though it was surprisingly sold out in most places I went to this weekend.

extralite

I wasn't downplaying it in the sense that you were talking about. If PS3 got a hypothetical mainline MH, would it have helped - sure.

But the discussion was about the PS4 getting all of the PS3 successful franchises, and how that should ensure that the PS4 matches the PS3's level of "success". I was pointing out that the PS3 actually got just about all of the PS2's successful franchises, and yet sold way, way worse than the PS2. Monster Hunter barely cracked 500k on the PS2 - it wasn't even in the Top 40 PS2 games. MH3HD on the PS3 sold over 400k - so the PS3 basically got most of the PS2 MH customers carried over to it.

Well, it IS a graphical update. Hence, the HD in the title. The quality of the update can be disputed, but it is an update.

The reason why the PS3 sold worse is because it was lacking a lot of the casual and female audience which went to Wii. The remaining 14-35 male core audience was able to sustain a good amount of the old core franchises just fine. So unless they lose that core audience as well, the PS4 should sell similar amounts as the PS3, probably more as it starts with a lower price. That's actually a good position to get more casuals again too. Problem is added competition from social games which subtracts from that regained potential again.

With the best release MH2 is actually close to 700000. And yes, it is quite a feat that an up-resed PSP game could get over 50% of MH2 sales. Again it shows how vital MH would have been for not just PS3 but also Vita and PS4. Strong Vita would mean better handheld synergy for PS4 also.

Well, update made me think more content. And we saw how a new MH can sell on consoles following the continued increase of MH from 1 to 3.

About the Wii Street U ad: I don't see it actually doing much but it is very obvious why Nintendo is betting on it. The success of RPGs always was due to its traveling aspect. Manga showing foreign countries, games where you travel foreign countries, even in current ads of Layton games they always show a customer saying how the game makes them feel they're traveling a distant country. Video games are traveling simulators to the Japanese, that is a selling point to casuals.

Not of course if you already can do similar things with your tablet/TV combo or if you actually travel a lot. Which again shows how the price point of the U is a problem as it wants to provide something for cheap which people crave. The closer you come to actual plane ticket prices or tablet prices, the more your selling point suffers.

It still is a lot cheaper than the alternatives but of course no one buys a tablet just for Street View.

The promise of Street U could be that games (the other traveling simulator) will be as vivid as Street U.

Cosmozone

The promise of Street U could be that games (the other traveling simulator) will be as vivid as Street U.
Um, nice theory, but isn't that a bit far-fetched? :) The whole point of Street U is more like having Street View on your big TV instead of your tiny smartphone/tablet screen. Same for potentially all other apps.

hiska-kun

How can Tsuyaya be "better"? They are doing the same exact thing, just reporting the top selling games at their store.

Better because Tsutaya has more than 500 stores in all Japan, and COMG is just a chain of stores in Niigata prefecture. So Tsutaya is bigger.

Better because COMG posts strange pt that nobody knows what they mean and can create confusions.

And better because Tsutaya chart is always closer to MC and Famitsu chart than COMG.

Still all above, of course Tsutaya is far to represent the whole Japanese market. But can be used as a preview.

extralite

Um, nice theory, but isn't that a bit far-fetched? :) The whole point of Street U is more like having Street View on your big TV instead of your tiny smartphone/tablet screen. Same for potentially all other apps.

Yes, snip the part about traveling motives selling million sellers like DQ, FF and Layton and the marketing angle Nintendo and others have used for years. The implication of Street U is that it showcases a technical feature that strengthens an aspect of games that appeals to casuals.

Edit: And no, having it on the big screen is only one aspect. Moving the controller like a window and seeing 360 degrees panorama of a place where you not actually are is the feature that makes it more vivid than just a big screen.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes, correct. Highest for the series too. somethingsomethingotakugamessomethingsomething

Anime + Vita's cut helped a lot the title. Especially having an anime broadcasted right now. IIRC, they said Senran Kagura 2 would have been a 3DS title, no? At this point, I'd say it should be 3DS/Vita.

Durante

Heh, just a few days ago people were arguing how incredibly unlikely it would be to surpass the 3DS versions. (Not that I knew better!)

Sandfox

Anime + Vita's cut helped a lot the title. Especially having an anime broadcasted right now. IIRC, they said Senran Kagura 2 would have been a 3DS title, no? At this point, I'd say it should be 3DS/Vita.

This is a spinoff series so they may just keep them separated. I wouldn't be surprised either way though.

Takao

Banned
This gif is oddly fitting:

oh-mymqkxy.gif

Somewhere Inafune is shaking his head.

Though, can he really say much given he cameos in Compile Heart games?

Celestial

Banned
Heh, just a few days ago people were arguing how incredibly unlikely it would be to surpass the 3DS versions. (Not that I knew better!)

I think it was pretty obvious from the start that it will surprass the 3DS versions.Pre-orders was also a sign that this would happen.

serplux

Vita over 3DS this week?
I mean; if q second tier game as SK is opening with more than 100k...

Even if that's the case, does the Vita have anything in the future that will sustain the bump before it comes crashing back down to its previous levels?

EDIT: I think Professor Layton will keep the 3DS above the Vita in any case.

Even if that's the case, does the Vita have anything in the future that will sustain the bump before it comes crashing back down to its previous levels?
For next week at least, there is Tales of Hearts R and Soul Sacrifice w/ bundles.

It's possible that Vita surpassed 3DS this week, but it's also possible that the latter got a bump as well, due to the new releases.

Top Bottom