• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Unless SS has truly amazing legs, I'm just not seeing where the "a while" part is coming from.

Latter point is undoubtedly true, but that will probably end up saying more about the awfulness of the 2012 holiday lineup than it will positive things about the Q1 lineup or the price cut.

there is also Talesof. I think that march will be very positive for Vita.

Sustaining 20k would be double Vita's normal baseline.

20k may be stretching it, but I do think games like PSO2 and Soul Sacrifice have the potential to have legs and carry the Vita for awhile. Especially if either become a sensation in Japan along the lines of the MonHun craze, again not saying that will happen but only that it is possible.

Road

I dont think we have any official pre-order numbers for Soul Sacrifice. Comgnet ranking doesnt necessarily indicate how things are in Japan overall. We know for example that One Piece Musou 2 has over 500k pre-orders (probably affected a bit by store pre-orders, but it shows that the pre-orders are strong, otherwise stores wouldnt order that much), while Comgnet has the PS3 version at 124 points (the Vita version is not to be seen). Project Diva F is at 167 points, but it is pretty much guaranteed to sell much less than One Piece Musou 2 in Japan overall.

First, One Piece Musou 2 has 500k orders from retailers. Not 500k pre-orders from consumers.

Second, you post in these threads every week, so I assume you read them every week, and it has been explained multiple times that, although there is some usefulness in looking at the Comgnet stores chart, it is completely useless to look at it to compare sales from completely different games.

20k may be stretching it, but I do think games like PSO2 and Soul Sacrifice have the potential to have legs and carry the Vita for awhile. Especially if either become a sensation in Japan along the lines of the MonHun craze, again not saying that will happen but only that it is possible.

MH sells 4-5 million per iteration (well it did on PSP, remains to be seen if it'll be able to do that on 3DS). I think SS and PSO together will not reach 1/10 of that.

Second, you post in these threads every week, so I assume you read them every week, and it has been explained multiple times that, although is there some usefulness in looking at the Comgnet stores chart, it is completely useless to look at it to compare sales from completely different games.

Looking at Comgnet is no different than looking at amazon sales chart. Worthless.

Looking at Comgnet is no different than looking at amazon sales chart. Worthless.

When a game doesn't rank at all on it though, it's usually not a good sign. Trying to compare numbers on it is worthless though. From the past I can't remember a game having extremely low numbers and doing blockbuster numbers either. It's not completely worthless, but from what I've seen once you get past 50 points or so it completely falls apart.

test_account

XP-39C²
First, One Piece Musou 2 has 500k orders from retailers. Not 500k pre-orders from consumers.
I know, i said so myself in the post you quoted me on :) I said that the 500k orders is affected by store orders, but i doubt that stores would order that many copies if there were a huge lack of customers pre-orders.

Second, you post in these threads every week, so I assume you read them every week, and it has been explained multiple times that, although is there some usefulness in looking at the Comgnet stores chart, it is completely useless to look at it to compare sales from completely different games.
I wonder if you might have misunderstood what i ment, because what you're saying here is basically the same thing that i was poiting out :)

Serplux said that the pre-orders for Soul Sacrifice were low (which i assume he was referring to Comgnet numbers because that is the only pre-order info i've seen regarding Soul Sacrifice), and i explained to him that Comgnet doesnt necessarily indicate how the situation will be in Japan overall. If we only went by the Comgnet rankings, it would tell us that Project Diva F would sell more than One Piece Musou 2, but that is very unlikely to happen. That is why i mentioned this example, to show that Comgnet does not necessarily tell us anything on how much the game will sell in Japan overall.

I said the same thing with Amazon rankings. Soul Sacrifice is at 3rd place now. If we should go by this, it would tell us that the game would do great, but Amazon rankings is not necessarily a good indicator for Japan overall either.

So i agree with what you say, Comgnet and Amazon rankings can be interesting to look at, but it is not something that will tell us clearly how a game will sell overall in Japan.

I said that the 500k orders is affected by store orders, but i doubt that stores would order that many copies if there were a huge lack of customers pre-orders.

They could be going off previous preorders/sales. We all know how many games have been overshipped based on past games sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Poor Comgnet. All I'll say is if you use it correctly I absolutely think it has some value.

serplux

MH sells 4-5 million per iteration (well it did on PSP, remains to be seen if it'll be able to do that on 3DS). I think SS and PSO together will not reach 1/10 of that.

Monster Hunter 3G is close to double what the original Wii version did. Monster Hunter 4 will get way up there, although it's still going to fall to Pokemon X/Y by a significant amount. If Tomadachi Collection does the same as it did on the DS (who knows; it might be releasing too close to Animal Crossing, though), then we'll have a superb trifecta of 3 million plus sellers.

test_account

XP-39C²
Wow, very cool, a demo release on a phyiscal cart. I didnt know about this, thanks :)

They could be going off previous preorders/sales. We all know how many games have been overshipped based on past games sales.
Yeah, that is true. I do believe that the customer pre-orders in Japan overall are stronger than what Comgnet ranking might indicate though, but that is just a my guess.

Kyon

Banned
ViTaTina Aguilera giving the good sis Senran Kagura 120k in sales? Yaaaaaassssss

I can't imagine the HW numbers ;__; is this ... Is this finally iT?

If it's 45k it would absolutely terrible.
if it's 80k, it'd be better but still not good, a sign that the market has not many incentives in buying the console.

80k isn't good after te DISASTER of a year in sales? Your SEETHING over Vita is hysterical and the fact that more ppl are noticing is the icing on that cake

schuelma

80k isn't good after te DISASTER of a year in sales? Your SEETHING over Vita is hysterical and the fact that more ppl are noticing is the icing on that cake

I think it's decent, but given that the system had already seen spikes to 30k and 45k when significant software released, a week with a price drop and 2 significant-ish games releasing getting to 75k doesn't for me seem to indicate a huge rush of people who were waiting for a price cut to jump in.

Kyon

Banned
I think it's decent, but given that the system had already seen spikes to 30k and 45k when significant software released, a week with a price drop and 2 significant-ish games releasing getting to 75k doesn't for me seem to indicate a huge rush of people who were waiting for a price cut to jump in.

We just need that one game to get them running ;__; maybe SS will be that tbh

SmokyDave

I can just picture electroplankton standing over a Vita screaming 'why won't you die?!' through gritted teeth.

Eh, I've got an ominous feeling that SS will do straight-up disappointing numbers.

schuelma

It absolutely could be, and the thing about those games is you can rarely see them coming. I'm pretty skeptical myself, but I've been wrong a lot lately.

Kyon

Banned
C'mon SS! slay the charts and Japan >__<

I can just picture electroplankton standing over a Vita screaming 'why won't you die?!' through gritted teeth.

hdisjdj I wish I could make gifs like Sunhi RIP this would've made a good gif.

Also would you be surprised if he did tho?

It's only worthless if you don't know what you are talking about.

You could probably say the same about amazon charts. They are both worthless.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/plus/list/index.html

Ridge Racer, Uncharted, Dynasty Warriors, 999-2... it's not that bad!

Maybe that's recent, it used to be straight up garbage not too long ago.

Monster Hunter 3G is close to double what the original Wii version did. Monster Hunter 4 will get way up there, although it's still going to fall to Pokemon X/Y by a significant amount. If Tomadachi Collection does the same as it did on the DS (who knows; it might be releasing too close to Animal Crossing, though), then we'll have a superb trifecta of 3 million plus sellers.

MH on portables is a different beast altogether. You cannot compare a portable version to a console version. It remains to be seen if MH4 will get to 4-5 million. Will be exciting times in MC thread when it releases.

Sandfox

It's a full remake hun

I used the wrong term lol. I meant that the changes they made in the remake(including the 3D) models look bad and I'm not usually one to complain about things like that. They should have kept it 2D but with higher quality sprites IMO.

Kyon

Banned
I used the wrong term lol. I meant that the changes they made in the remake(including the 3D) models look bad and I'm not usually one to complain about things like that. They should have kept it 2D but with higher quality sprites IMO.

Ew sprites :/ lol

I'm not a fan of the series so idk the demo was just a mess tbh Bored me to sleep just like Xillia. Hope it sells tho for VitaTina's sake

serplux

MH on portables is a different beast altogether. You cannot compare a portable version to a console version. It remains to be seen if MH4 will get to 4-5 million. Will be exciting times in MC thread when it releases.

It's still worth mentioning though. I feel as though the majority of the MH audience has already migrated to the 3DS, and it's going to be strung along by other big 3DS releases and its overall momentum instead of being the only million sellers on the PSP. Maybe it won't reach that point immediately, due to the proliferation of titles for the 3DS, but it'll definitely get up there in numbers.

Jamix012

Is it possible we'll see old Vita games in the MC top 50 next week? I'm thinking particularly P4G and Miku. Maybe Grav Rush. I know there's a big 2nd hand market but such a bump could possibly make these titles re-appear?

I'd be very surprised it if that happens.

While I'm actually quite optimistic on the PS vita's next week and I mentioned in the PS vita thread several days ago that I expect the baseline to increase to around 18k, I don't think Soul Sacrifice will reach 100,000 in it's first week. Would be happy for it to prove me wrong though. Do we have numbers for other new IPs in the past 5 years?

SmokyDave

What gives you that feeling? Are the preorders not looking good? Reading the Famitsu review it looks like the game is actually good and has a lot of content for player to go over.
Nothing rational, just a gut feeling. Having said that, I don't like that style of game and I'm a poor judge of what's hot in Japan so hopefully I'm just being pessimistic.

Road

I know, i said so myself in the post you quoted me on :) I said that the 500k orders is affected by store orders, but i doubt that stores would order that many copies if there were a huge lack of customers pre-orders.

The most recent example is Shin Hokuto Musou. We don't have first week sell-through, but look at this week: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201301/16027340.html

LTD of 219k, sell-through between 50~75%, indicating at least 290k shipped. Unless retailers are even crazier, ordering more copies for games that aren't already selling what they have, that was all certainly shipped first week, when it sold 116k copies to consumers. Two months after launch, the game is still at 250k sold to consumers. Selling 2k per week, it should clear that shipment by July.

I wonder if you might have misunderstood what i ment, because what you're saying here is basically the same thing that i was poiting out :)

Serplux said that the pre-orders for Soul Sacrifice were low (which i assume he was referring to Comgnet numbers because that is the only pre-order info i've seen regarding Soul Sacrifice), and i explained to him that Comgnet doesnt necessarily indicate how the situation will be in Japan overall. If we only went by the Comgnet rankings, it would tell us that Project Diva F would sell more than One Piece Musou 2, but that is very unlikely to happen. That is why i mentioned this example, to show that Comgnet does not necessarily tell us anything on how much the game will sell in Japan overall.

Because you're still misusing an example of how Comgnet can be wrong. You should never compare like that. Period. Not only because HMPDF and OPM2 two different type of games, but also for the fact they are to be released two weeks apart.

If you still want to say Comgnet is not indicative of the Japanese market because it had more pre-orders for HMPDF than OPM2 when in the entire country it was the opposite, then you should wait until both games are released to compare the two results. =P

Kyon

Banned
Nothing rational, just a gut feeling. Having said that, I don't like that style of game and I'm a poor judge of what's hot in Japan so hopefully I'm just being pessimistic.

Please be opTimistic for the VitaSis :"""") she needs them sales

Takao

Banned
Ew sprites :/ lol

I'm not a fan of the series so idk the demo was just a mess tbh Bored me to sleep just like Xillia. Hope it sells tho for VitaTina's sake

The preorder game that uses TOH's DS sprites look better than the main attraction IMO. Though it needs to be said I'm not big on the whole mid-tier PSP game rendered in qHD-look.

In the PS vita thread several days ago that I expect the baseline to increase to around 18k, I don't think Soul Sacrifice will reach 100,000 in it's first week. Would be happy for it to prove me wrong though. Do we have numbers for other new IPs in the past 5 years?

If we're comparing it to other games in the hunting action genre, I believe God Eater is the most successful new IP debut in the past five years. But then, that was on a system that had both MHP and a much larger userbase than Vita does.

test_account

XP-39C²

The most recent example is Shin Hokuto Musou. We don't have first week sell-through, but look at this week: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201301/16027340.html

LTD of 219k, sell-through between 50~75%, indicating at least 290k shipped. Unless retailers are even crazier, ordering more copies for games that aren't already selling what they have, that was all certainly shipped first week, when it sold 116k copies to consumers. Two months after launch, the game is still at 250k sold to consumers. Selling 2k per week, it should clear that shipment by July.
Yeah, it is a possibility that the stores is gambling on ordering number of copies that exceed the number of consumers pre-orders. I still think that there are a big chance for One Piece Musou 2 to have many consumers pre-orders, but i guess we will never know that for sure, unless that the game sell a lot less than 500k.

Because you're still misusing an example of how Comgnet can be wrong. You should never compare like that. Period. Not only because HMPDF and OPM2 two different type of games, but also for the fact they are to be released two weeks apart.

If you still want to say Comgnet is not indicative of the Japanese market because it had more pre-orders for HMPDF than OPM2 when in the entire country it was the opposite, then you should wait until both games are released to compare the two results. =P
I'm not sure if the One Piece Musou 2 pre-order numbers on Comgnet rankings will heavily exceed Project Diva F, and i guess it can be concidered how long the games have been available for pre-order. Maybe one game has been available for pre-order for a longer period of time than the other? But i agree, it might be best to wait two weeks so that both games have been released, that is fair enough :) The two games arent that far appart, so another two weeks could change the result.

I understand what you mean. My only intention was to show that Comgnet is not something that we should use to judge how a game will preform overall in Japan (if people want to do it, that is no problem for me, but it is not a solid indicator at least). And i also wanted to point out that Comgnet ranking is not a list that necessarily represent the general pre-order situation in Japan. If it was, we could think that PDF would have a great chance of outselling OPM2 (i think that is very unlikely at least, and of course games sell to those who havnt pre-ordered as well, but still). That was my intention with that example, i wasnt trying to compare the games directly up to eachother in that way that you're referring to, sorry if it wasnt clear in my first post.

I know that we look at each game individually and compare it to previous games in the serie, or similar type of games. Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a good example for this, a game that had less pre-order points at Comgnet and sold much less than Final Fantasy XIII. I guess there are some opposite examples as well, that Comgnet ranking were low and a game ended up selling more than what Comgnet indicated, but i cant think of any concrete examples.

EDIT: I added some more text to my post.

It's still worth mentioning though. I feel as though the majority of the MH audience has already migrated to the 3DS, and it's going to be strung along by other big 3DS releases and its overall momentum instead of being the only million sellers on the PSP. Maybe it won't reach that point immediately, due to the proliferation of titles for the 3DS, but it'll definitely get up there in numbers.

I don't think it's really comparable at all, but feel free to do so. Also, not even half of the MH audience has migrated to the 3DS, so not sure why you are saying that. And I'm not entirely convinced on your other point that MH4 won't sell as previous iterations because it won't be the big fish in the pond anymore, but we'll see.

Probably you must improve your jokin' skills because no one noticed this "tone" ;p
Btw, I think that for a system that average sells 8k (it did so for weeks) selling 10x HW pieces would be a good result. Not as stellar as the 3DS cut one, but good. It would mean also that there IS interest in the console (at the right price and with the right software); about the Wii U simply up to now it's not pessimistic foreseeing GC HW LTD numbers: it's selling worst than GC, so it could be seen as optimistic

Bumps of this kind happen quite often according to different circumstances. GC increased more than 10 times from one week to another one thanks to Super Smash Bros. Melee, for example. PS3 had regular boosts in sales when big games were released, etc. This is just to say that the difference between the average pre-bump and the week of interest doesn't necessarily mean the platform has appeal in the market; Vita had a price-cut, many games coming in this and the next weeks, bundles and a new color IIRC, so a lot of factors thanks to which it could increase.

I think we can see the interest of the market in the platform by looking at the data after this period. If it can stabilize around 20-25k, situation is not good at all but it's a big improvement and Vita shown there's some space in the market for it. If it will come back to sub-15k levels, well, no.

I dont think we have any official pre-order numbers for Soul Sacrifice. Comgnet ranking doesnt necessarily indicate how things are in Japan overall. We know for example that One Piece Musou 2 has over 500k pre-orders (probably affected a bit by store pre-orders, but it shows that the pre-orders are strong, otherwise stores wouldnt order that much), while Comgnet has the PS3 version at 124 points (the Vita version is not to be seen).

500k pre-orders by retailers? The game might sell, let's say, 300k the first week out of a 500k shipment, and that would be terribile given how the first one sold.

I said that the 500k orders is affected by store orders, but i doubt that stores would order that many copies if there were a huge lack of customers pre-orders.

You post in these threads every week :) Didn't you see Level-5 games (almost always overshipped), Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, Xillia 2, etc.? Many games are overshippid because retailers maybe think the demand will be high anyway, regardless of pre-orders, or because they know they will sell well in the short-term.

The fact that people should look and discuss opinions, not other people, instead? I discuss here every week, it's funny to see being attacked by random "Vita lovers" :p

Haha, maybe!

It's a full remake hun

Maybe the problem is that it's a crappy one? I read the demo impression thread, and no one was happy, in particular those who played the original. Indeed, why remaking something that was quite nice in 2D, if you have to use an awful 3D?

test_account

XP-39C²
500k pre-orders by retailers? The game might sell, let's say, 300k the first week out of a 500k shipment, and that would be terribile given how the first one sold.
Yep, or it might sell close to 500k :) We wont know how many of these sales that are customers pre-orders anyway though. We will only know that there were a lot less customer pre-orders if the games sell for example 300k in the first week as you mention.

You post in these threads every week :) Didn't you see Level-5 games (almost always overshipped), Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, Xillia 2, etc.? Many games are overshippid because retailers maybe think the demand will be high anyway, regardless of pre-orders, or because they know they will sell well in the short-term.
Sure, i know that the stores might take a gamble and order a lot more copies than what there are of pre-orders.

Vita needs more than one game to get people running. We've had spikes in the past, but Vita needs a stream of nice, diverse titles to get the mass market to notice.

It needs more than grimdark Mon Hun clones and loli masturbation sims, essentially.

Even assuming for the sake of argument that one game could singlehandedly reverse Vita's fortunes, that game would probably have to be an exclusive MH/DQ/FF/MGS/GE or something of the sort, not a new IP.

Elios83

Even assuming for the sake of argument that one game could singlehandedly reverse Vita's fortunes, that game would probably have to be an exclusive MH/DQ/FF/MGS/GE or something of the sort, not a new IP.

Uh?
No it's the opposite, to reverse Vita's fortunes what is needed is precisely a new IP which unexpectedly becomes a huge hit, not the usual old series which have very little growth potential and can only go down or stay flat in term of sales.
Vita needs the new Monster Hunter or something in a different genre but with the same impact. I don't think that Soul Sacrifice will be that game though.

extralite

One notable thing about Arc the Lad is I believe a loose connection to Square was pushed by the press iirc, since the game was made by G-Craft who'd previously developed Front Mission for Square. This sort of parallels the Capcom/Comcept/Monhan/Soulsac link too.
Interesting. What should worry Sony though is that big name creators rarely end up achieving great success after leaving the company where they became famous. Square's Sakaguchi, Atlus' Okada, Capcom's Okamoto...

Also, Suikoden 1 actually was a SFC game originally that got shifted to PS1 midway through development. This happened for several early 2D RPGs on PS1/Saturn, Albert Odyssey Gaiden being another.
It's funny how these games that would have been graphically poor on SNES could sell similar amounts as the much better looking SO1 and ToP.

Uh?
No it's the opposite, to reverse Vita's fortunes what is needed is precisely a new IP which unexpectedly becomes a huge hit, not the usual old series which have very little growth potential and can only go down or stay flat in term of sales.
Vita needs the new Monster Hunter or something in a different genre but with the same impact. I don't think that Soul Sacrifice will be that game though.

I hardly think it matters if they've got "growth potential". A million seller is a million seller, and an exclusive million seller from a proven brand is a far more reliable than attempting to conjure a brand new cultural phenomenon from the ether.

I'd argue Vita needs both.

Top Bottom