• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Think the 3DS did around 175-185k in its pricedrop

Some other price cut in recent years.

3DS did 196k from 4k (2011 Aug)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441336

PSP did nearly 15k from 9k (2012 Sep)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493146

PSPGo did 3k from 900 (2010 Oct)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412035

DSi XL did 30.183 from 11.138 (2010 June)
DSi did 18.214 from 10.172
DS Lite did 5.126 from 3.108
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399281

I3DS = 3,701 to 214,821 (one model, 10k yen pricedrop) - 2Mario games and Monster Hunter

Vita = 11,669 to 60,561 (two models, 5k yen pricedrop and 10k yen pricedrop) - Senran Kagura + Soul Sacrifice + online MMO Phantasy Star

That's before we add price drop date being broken early previous week and people waiting for limited edition next week.

test_account

XP-39C²
That's before we add price drop date being broken early previous week and people waiting for limited edition next week.
Yeah, there are other factors to concider as well indeed, like the game releases as you mention.

Sony beeing cheap? After more than a year they could have done a more drastic move like Nintendo did in 2011, seeing PSVs performance and vaining 3rd party support.
Its a business decision, its not about being cheap. The Vita is most likely more expencive to produce than the 3DS, so Sony cant just drop the price a lot, they have to calculate the risk of dropping the price.

By the way, the 3DS XL cost like 19k yen, only about a thousand yen different compared to the Vita.

mclem

It was a quick throw-together title to have out at launch like Steel Diver (DS demo turned into a game) and Pilot Wings (Wii Sports Resort-mini). When was the last time Nintendo had a well-prepared launch lineup? SNES/SFC?

Wasn't the SFC launch *just* SMW and F-Zero? Admittedly, two great games, but still...

I recall there were explicitly six titles for the European launch, although I forget exactly what they were. I think Super R-Type was one.

N64 was similar, wasn't it? I recall Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64, but I don't think anything else was at launch.

I do wonder if actually that's one of Nintendo's issues - pushing so hard to get games out at launch when perhaps a smaller focussed set of launch titles might be smarter, allowing a month or so extra for polish on the rest of the range to keep interest up.

Laguna

Banned
Its a business decision, its not about being cheap. The Vita is most likely more expencive to produce than the 3DS, so Sony cant just drop the price a lot, they have to calculate the risk of dropping the price.

By the way, the 3DS XL cost like 19k yen, only about a thousand yen different compared to the Vita.

While we don´t know what the production costs really are for both systems it doesn´t matter that much, after more than a year they could and possibly have been reduced. What I mean is they should have been a little bit more agressive because we and also Sony know by now what PSV has been doing, what the support from 3rd party publisher looks like and how the competition looks like. Also regardless of production costs it seems arrogant to offer PSV at a higher price, when than the market leaders premium model is offered. They should have gone at least for price parity. Yes, it´s just a difference of 1.000 yen and likely wouldn´t have had a huge impact but the gesture of pricing the system higher than the clear market leader is out of place in my opinion and also a bit stupid because it would have been just a baby-step to reach complete price-parity.

test_account

XP-39C²
While we don´t know what the production costs really are for both systems it doesn´t matter that much, after more than a year they could and possibly have been reduced. What I mean is they should have been a little bit more agressive because we and also Sony know by now what PSV has been doing, what the support from 3rd party publisher looks like and how the competition looks like. Also regardless of production costs it seems arrogant to offer PSV at a higher price, when than the market leaders premium model is offered. They should have gone at least for price parity. Yes, it´s just a difference of 1.000 yen and likely wouldn´t have had a huge impact but the gesture of pricing the system higher than the clear market leader is out of place in my opinion and also a bit stupid because it would have been just a baby-step to reach complete price-parity.
EDIT: I post the reply in the other Media Create instead:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49176531&postcount=226

:)

extralite

So let's assume that in week 7 Vita sold roughly the same amount of copies per day. That would put it at ~1150 per day and ~4600 for 4 days. Then according to Kawano

(4600 +11500 + y) * 4 = 62500 - y

where y are the sales for the first 3 days of week 9, the ones before the price drop.

Solve for y:

64400 + 4y = 62500 - y
5y = -1900
y = -380

So if the Vita sold -1140 copies from Monday to Wednesday Kawano's statement would be correct. Of course that's not possible so it'd be fair to say that in the four days after the price drop it almost sold 4 times as much as in the two weeks before the price drop. At least it was closer to 4 times than 3 times. This is assuming that in these last three days before the price drop sales really came close to a halt which is possible or even likely, we don't know how many shops exactly did drop the price early and if they sold out because of that.

Top Bottom