• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Initial shipment for PS4 is 370k from Famitsu, sellthrough 87%.

I was more speaking about PS4's second week, impressions from some retailers, but Famitsu's launch sellthrough was lacking, so good to have this as well :D

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dengeki has a 360-380k initial shipment with 85% sellthrough.

Both have higher sales for PS4 from Media Create, where the 350k initial shipment estimate is supposed to have come from.

Dengeki has a 360-380k initial shipment with 85% sellthrough.

Both have higher sales for PS4 from Media Create, where the 350k initial shipment estimate is supposed to have come from.

MC sell through is 88% so it looks like they all paint the same picture in terms of demand.

zeroshiki

Why does living in Japan suddenly imbue someone with magical knowledge of sell outs? Isn't that just even more anecdotal and less scientific than one of the largest electronic store chains in the country saying its sold out?

Yodobashi is 100x larger than Comgnet or whatever it is. Neither of them are very good indicators but Yodobashi is quite a bit better since it carries a large inventory. Being sold out in Yodobashi means something.

Speaking of anecdotal evidence though, here's some more:

Amazon - Sold out
Rakuten - Sold out
Joshin - Sold out

Let's do retailers:
Bic Camera - Sold out of Limited Pack, taking preorders for Standard
Yamada Denki/Labi - does not list PS4 on the website

Unless you live in Japan you don't know if PS4 is selling out across the country. It wasn't sold out at launch, I doubt it is sold out now.

The new obsession with yodobashi lately is becoming boring.

Okay let me correct it. PS4 is selling out in Yodobashi. Still a good thing considering its a big retailer.

Ratrat

Why does living in Japan suddenly imbue someone with magical knowledge of sell outs? Isn't that just even more anecdotal and less scientific than one of the largest electronic store chains in the country saying its sold out?

Yodobashi is 100x larger than Comgnet or whatever it is. Neither of them are very good indicators but Yodobashi is quite a bit better since it carries a large inventory. Being sold out in Yodobashi means something.

Amazon - Sold out
Rakuten - Sold out
Joshin - Sold out

Let's do retailers:
Limited pack is soldout at tsutaya online store.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Amazon - Sold out
Rakuten - Sold out
Joshin - Sold out

Let's do retailers:

These are all online stores you know.

edit: I don't see why I should not trust this anecdotal more.

No it isn't.
It's in every store I go into here.

Classic Dualshockers hyperbole *guitar riffs*

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102788462&postcount=3

Atlus loves the VITA but if you were wondering why they never tried with Persona Q, the PR guy had the following reply.

Well, i assume the core etrian map-making mechanic would pretty tricky with just one screen…

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/02/25/persona-5-and-more-confirmed-for-ps3-in-north-america/

There were a whole lot of request for Persona Q on the Vita but i doubt if they are ever going to do it. And from the sound of it, it is more like a re-skinning of Etrian Odyssey than a Persona game.

Soriku

Atlus loves the VITA but if you were wondering why they never tried with Persona Q, the PR guy had the following reply.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/02/25/persona-5-and-more-confirmed-for-ps3-in-north-america/

There were a whole lot of request for Persona Q on the Vita but i doubt if they are ever going to do it. And from the sound of it, it is more like a re-skinning of Etrian Odyssey than a Persona game.

We don't even know if the game has a map-drawing mechanic. And it really doesn't sound any more EO than Persona at this point (or vice versa).

PS4's found at a couple of Geo's I visited this weekend. Anecdotal, though, and no photos so feel free to not believe me. One store pushed it's Vita section back further for the PS4, though, which I thought was interesting.

A fairly harmless putdown of a games fairly well known crap graphics. I guess the thread was intended to be more high-brow/protected than many others so in comes the ban. Hope its a short one. Probably didn't help that I saw the usual suspects calling for his head over it too because every thread has to have a political slant, which I've fallen of foul of in here myself. Gets pretty lame and turns GAF into too much of a colosseum.

Never mind that apart from being increasingly arrogant about his status as the leader of the 'Vita cult' and joking in this thread about 'whacking' potential 3DS buyers, he went into that thread for a drive-by. Personally, I don't think that particular comment was necessarily all that got him the ban; I think it has been his increasingly 'holier-than-though' attitude lately.

It has nothing to do with every thread needing to have a political slant and everything to do with Dave making a stupid, off-topic troll. He was not the only one to get banned in that thread either. Hopefully, he and Htown will come back in a couple of weeks feeling humbled, like I (hopefully) have been after my 2 bans in December.

zeroshiki

Do you understand what online store of Bic Camera means?

So you're telling me their online store is out but their actual stores aren't? You also never answered why online being sold out doesn't count? If I go out to a Geo or Tsutaya right now and take pictures would that count more?

You know what, I'm not interested in continuing this pissing contest. I'll go back to lurking now. I don't even like anecdotal evidence and I'm reduced to defending it because you decide that Yodobashi camera is an insignificant sample but Tsutaya and Comgnet get thrown out willy nilly.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It would depend on the number of stores and time of day and region.

Maybe, but I've read more reports that you can find a PS4 if you want it. Maybe it's selling out maybe it's not, I'm not going to make a decision until I have an official source.

Knack sellthrough next week will show what's real and what's not.

I don't even like anecdotal evidence and I'm reduced to defending it because you decide that Yodobashi camera is an insignificant sample but Tsutaya and Comgnet get thrown out willy nilly.

You clearly have no idea what I think of Tsutaya and Comgnet.

Maybe, but I've read more reports that you can find a PS4 if you want it. Maybe it's selling out maybe it's not, I'm not going to make a decision until I have an official source.

knack sellthrough will be a 100%, non knack systems dont seem to be turning up till after monday (tracking is monday to sunday no?)

test_account

XP-39C²

Would Knack's sellthrough tell much about that though? If you mean the percentage that Famitsu gives out for each game? I see for example that New Super Mario Bros Wii U had an 80-100% sellthrough last week, but is that game hard to find or is it close to being sold out?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Considering how Knack is still bundled with every PS4 in the next tracked week, i'd say Comgnet's weekly results could give us some first indications, i.e. of much software will drop compared to the first week.

Bruno MB

Would Knack's sellthrough tell much about that though? If you mean the percentage that Famitsu gives out for each game? I see for example that New Super Mario Bros Wii U had an 80-100% sellthrough last week, but is that game hard to find or is it close to being sold out?

Bear in mind, for example, that a 90% sell-through for a game that has shipped a million units is not the same as for other that has only shipped 50.000. In the first case there would be 100.000 units in stock which is far from sold out.

test_account

XP-39C²
Bear in mind, for example, that a 90% sell-through for a game that has shipped a million units is not the same as for other that has only shipped 50.000. In the first case there would be 100.000 units in stock which is far from sold out.
Sure, but do we know how big the 2nd shipment for PS4 was? I was thinking of going by the sellthrough percentages only, not knowing how big the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. shipment was/is.

EDIT: Ah, i see now that you're probably refering to that New Super Mario Bros WiiU had a big 1st or 2nd shipment, so that many copies are still left on the shelf from that? I didnt really think about that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sure, but do we know how big the 2nd shipment for PS4 was? I was thinking of going by the sellthrough percentages only, not knowing how big the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. shipment was/is.

We have some posters in here with access to subscriptions. Something with the exact sellthrough number could leak.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lol my bad
I see that you edited your post, but those PS4 numbers were from the 1st week sellthrough indeed. Thanks for quoting the first day sellthrough for those games though, i think i missed that post earlier :)

We have some posters in here with access to subscriptions. Something with the exact sellthrough number could leak.
I see. Yeah, hopefully some numbers regarding this would leak, it would be interesting to see :)

Shengar

Looks like Inafune won't be sacrificed.

Inafune will use Saved on himself

By the way, how does usually "G" version of popular hunting action game performs? I presume they'll be lower than the original release but by how much?

Never mind that apart from being increasingly arrogant about his status as the leader of the 'Vita cult' and joking in this thread about 'whacking' potential 3DS buyers, he went into that thread for a drive-by. Personally, I don't think that particular comment was necessarily all that got him the ban; I think it has been his increasingly 'holier-than-though' attitude lately.

It has nothing to do with every thread needing to have a political slant and everything to do with Dave making a stupid, off-topic troll. He was not the only one to get banned in that thread either. Hopefully, he and Htown will come back in a couple of weeks feeling humbled, like I (hopefully) have been after my 2 bans in December.

SmokyDave attitude lately have been overboard and irksome, but that Htown post is particularly awful. It's basically attack on anyone who own a Vita, not just SmokyDave.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
A fairly harmless putdown of a games fairly well known crap graphics. I guess the thread was intended to be more high-brow/protected than many others so in comes the ban. Hope its a short one. Probably didn't help that I saw the usual suspects calling for his head over it too because every thread has to have a political slant, which I've fallen of foul of in here myself. Gets pretty lame and turns GAF into too much of a colosseum.

Although maybe its best Smoky doesn't see March's MC threads since thats when Vita probably wont continue its YOY increase since it was that time last year the GREAT REVIVAL began :D

Vita sales could actually go up in a wave of support for the Vita's first martyr. Shinobi 3DS was an odd moment for SmokyDave to lay down his life for it but who are we to question the greater plan!

Now would be the time for Sony to release some commemorative #CHAMPION Vitas.

DaBoss

How much did the original SS sell? Just north of 300K right?

Seems really optimistic to get 200K, but maybe the new owners will get it?

Top Bottom