• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

L~A

Sadly, I think it's done.
The cartoon ended long ago, and nobody even knows it existed.

I know someone already said the same thing in another thread, but that wouldn't make much sense as :

1) the game was apparently close to be finished, why wasting money by not releasing it (it's not like it had only been in development for a few months, or was an incredibly ambitious project)
2) it was delayed a second time weel after the anime ended.... and 1 month before they announced 4 different Persona games.

My guess is : project was put on hold when Index went bankrupt (doubt this was one of their priorities), and when they decided to go with the Persona push, they really couldn't afford to spare some devs for that game.

Maybe they're planning a second season for the anime, based on the extra scenario (which is apparently said to be as long as a regular RPG, according to the devs).

Though I agree, their total silence is worrying...

Hoping for >50K opening for Fossil Fighters. Hopefully, people aren't exhausted after Pokemon, Youkai Watch, and Puzzle & Dragons doing so well recently.

Watch Fossil Fighter outsell all PS4 games this week! Mwahahaha!
(Except Knack.... maybe).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is the new stand alone one without Knack.

And this should be from the second shipment, right? At list this is what I understood.

So that would mean that the first shipment is practically sold out, while the second one is fully available in shops. And this would fit to the 50-60k sold in second week according to the PR from Sony (370 k in total).

Darius

Banned
Back in 2007 when the PS3 was selling pretty bad in Japan, i cant remember that many people said that the PS3 would sell like it ended up selling.

And true, we didnt know how long the last console generation would last before the new consoles arrived, which is a good point to show that looking at the early sales of a system isnt necessarily a good indication on how it will sell in the long run :)

So you are trying to say that the majority of people in 2007 simply ignored and didn´t mention that the PS3 was priced out of the mainstream market and that price drops combined with system sellers like MGS and Final Fantasy would push sales considerably? What were those expectations you are talking about, because I have a hard time believing that the majority had been expecting considerably less than 10m, something that PS3 still wasn´t able to achieve yet, after beeing 8 years in retail and full 3rd party support from the get go.

If you consider that most people didn´t expect that it would take 8 years until its successor would launch and most likely made their prediction based on a more common 5-6 year lifecycle even the more severe "predictions" back in 2007 aren´t really that far off, and even then just exceptions.

Darius

Banned
What were the Week-2 figures for Wii-U, Vita, and 3DS?

3DS (LD: February 26th, 2011) - 374,764 --> 209,623 ( -44.1%)*
PSV (LD: December 17th, 2011) - 324,859 --> 72,479 ( -77.7%)*
Wii U (LD: December 8th, 2012) - 308,570 --> 130,653 ( -57.7%)

*=Media Create datas

Does one take Knack stock as indication of PS4 inventory or have non-first edition systems been shipped? I guess it lends a bit of credence to the notion that supply is playing some factor, although I doubt the number would be dramatically higher...

Turrican3

The fact is you need a desirable device to market before any whizzbang wow campaign is going to do anything for it.
The "casual audience has moved to mobile" or whatever has been discussed so many times I'll just say that I don't necessarily think this is the main issue Nintendo is facing right now, especially on the home console business.

But talking about having a desirable device to market... I've been reading for years right here on GAF people screaming for an HD, gimmick-less Nintendo console. "F**k wiimote, gimme a damn ordinary controller and HD graphics and I'll buy it!" was a quite common complaint even not too long ago.

And that's how I basically see Wii U: a traditional - albeit expensive - Nintendo HD console.

But... people out there are not as informed as the average GAF user. And they've seen more or less a ton of different add-ons for the Wii during its peak years.

With one of the dumbest names ever conceivable for a successor and the anecdotal evidence I mentioned before, I'd argue that simply renaming the console with something immediately understandable (make it Wii 2, Super Wii, whatever) plus a decent advertising campaign might do wonders*.

* = never ever going to sell 100 million consoles obviously, even half THAT number would need a magic spell indeed ^_^

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Does one take Knack stock as indication of PS4 inventory or have non-first edition systems been shipped? I guess it lends a bit of credence to the notion that supply is playing some factor, although I doubt the number would be dramatically higher...

Knack sellthrough is 80-100%, which should be the same for the hardware, right?

There seems to be a new SKU available (without Knack), see below:

Guys, what's the new Yodobashi page fof PS4 stock in stores? The old link doesn't provide updates anymore XD

EDIT: Maybe, it's this?

http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/product/stock/100000001002152125/index.html

kinggroin

Banned
Those are horrific numbers for second week. One of the biggest drop offs ever.

Hopefully its just completely sold out and not that console gaming is doomed in Japan or some shit.

Oh boy I posted in the old thread =[ my bad people!

Harvest Moon overperforms and Yo-kai Watch seems unstoppable, will it get to the million mark?
I initially thought Yokai would sell well, in the 300k range, but looking at its sales so far, the possibility that it'll 1M due to the anime, is just insane. I hope it does, Level5 should be rewarded for games like these, here's to hoping they don't milk it dry like their other series. I'd understand if the genre was just a fad or a one off type of series, but Level5 works mostly on Nintendo portable, I'm not sure why they don't try to nurture their IPs a bit more, they'd be doing way better if all their previous hits weren't milked to death.

Good to see HM selling well too, thats also significant number for the series, I hope its legs continue to be great and not because the series is just getting more front-loaded.

I don't know why they'd can it, all the other games sold well enough, what have they got to lose?

Top Bottom