• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

There's still like at least six months before MH4G drops given they just announced it; what's going to keep 3DS hardware strong week over week until then?

beast786

You can't stop Knack . You can only hope to contain him.

Knack is the best selling launch platformer in japan ever*

* with a name start and end with k.

Xater

Is MH4G out yet? That would be a good place to start.

I'm waiting on PS4 after the big games release, but its software sales have been sucking worldwide. Seems like people are buying it out of the promise of good software, rather than what's available now.

Only time will tell. Congrats to Vita for holding though. And Wii U still holding amazingly enough. There could still be some life in those consoles given a few positive turns.

MH4G comes out in the fall. So that is still pretty far off.

cafemomo

It doesnt, I think people that want it to happen have not played or are not familiar with said games.
Exactly, everyone wants a Pokémon x something just wants it so it can fulfill their childhood fantasy

Heck, I bet people on here would want a Pokémon developed by Platinum games

Kysen

3DS looks like it has hit saturation point, plenty of software to buy but it seems that everyone already owns one. PS3 is now on its way out with sales dropping. Will be a zombie soon like psp, which means Sony has to push more JP decks to the ps4. Yakuza sales like GT6 prove that user base means jack shit at the end of a gen.

maxcriden

Kirby still at it. Pretty good sales for the Kirb, right?

games_kirbySuperstarUltra-fighterKirby.gif

(And poor DK...)

180px-DKSad.png

Don't do this.

Top 20 in december != Top 20 in february

You need to compare total software sales.

1. We don't seem to have total software sales for the PS4, only the top 20 so far. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. If the top 20 in December is inflated, so are the top 20 PSV / PS3 software numbers.

The point is that Sony systems never launch with huge software numbers. Software is slow in the beginning and spread out across many small 3rd party titles. PS4 software is performing better than PS3 software and PSV software did.

EGOMON

All am getting from this is that we are getting Knack 2 for sure and thats a good thing (not kidding) i really enjoyed Knack.

TheChaos0

3DS looks like it has hit saturation point, plenty of software to buy but it seems that everyone already owns one. PS3 is now on its way out with sales dropping. Will be a zombie soon like psp, which means Sony has to push more JP decks to the ps4. Yakuza sales like GT6 prove that user base means jack shit at the end of a gen.

Well, it's in line with the other Yakuza spinoff. But you are correct the user base is only as good as the amount of units you can sell to them. Each game has it's fans and a general appeal, if the appeal can't reach far outside the fan base then no matter how you try, it won't matter if there are 1 million consoles out of there or 20 million. You need to look no further than say Wii and Tales of Graces for example.

This is why some developers stick to platform or an ecosystem. Moving a fanbase a risky business and if you can't appeal to the extra user base then it's all for naught.

DaBoss

Fair enough on the PS4, I suppose, though I'm definitely way more worried than you seem to be.

As for 3DS, I just don't think it's selling poorly. The system is obviously on decline, but the reasons why are obvious, and the decline isn't as bad as it could be. That's not to say Nintendo should do nothing. In fact, they should be doing a lot more. That said, I think the 3DS is less concerning than some believe, though again, they show that Nintendo needs to become more proactive in seeking out content, and also ready the 2DS for Japan.
Saying the PS4 had good launch hardware sales =/= my view on its future outlook.

I think it won't do much better than the PS4 as a console in today's market with mobile taking over.

The reasons are definitely obvious, its market has saturated. They need to think of have something in the works to do if they want to alleviate that globally.

Anything can always be worse and better, there is no point in mentioning that
My fear is that the 3DS is starting to reach saturation point in Japan, and the time of weekly figures over 100k is long gone.

There's no big games on the horizon, no new model. They need to sort this. Reveal a new game...say Pokémon x Monster Hunter (both 3DS and Wii U), with a 3DSi release. Have a Pokémon x Monster Hunter special 3DSi on the same day. Job done. Japan goes crazy. Nintendo prints money.

A man can dream.
3DS has reached saturation.

Pokemon x Monster Hunter......................................................................................please don't suggest that.

I'm saying that as a fan of both series.

What would a 3DSi entail? It would already have to be in the works to be something that they can launch later on.
Well obviously you won't kill the Pokémon, but I think it could work rather well.
No...it wouldn't. I don't know if you play MH, but the only thing that would be fitting is if there is a Pikachu costume or something for Felynes.

Man, PS4 software sales aren't nearly as good as the hardware. Yakuza Ishin did very well though, thanks especially to there being a PS3 version. 3DS also dropping . I wonder if Harvest Moon next week can stop this free fall a bit like DQ did :p

jcm

PS4 software sales are actually quite good, despite what most people here are saying.

In order to properly gauge PS4's performance, you have to compare it to past Sony systems.

Compare the PS4 launch software in the top 20 to the PS3 launch software in the top 20:

bla bla bla

Vita software in the top 20
Don't do this.

Top 20 in december != Top 20 in february

You need to compare total software sales.

He's got the numbers right there in his post, and for some reason you cut them out and replaced them with "bla bla bla".

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
M_Night said:
I hope you're right.
Well he's right about all Sony systems launching in Japan with low (<1) attach rate (at least in Media Create charts). Including PS2 IIRC.

But if people used "Matrix was part of the attach-rate" excuse on PS2, we could argue "all those PS3 cross-gens are probably upgrade-purchases" for PS4 :p

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Complete Knack global saturation. Pretty average PS4 debut software sales for pretty average japanese lineup. Wonder if Japanese home console consumers will find themselves forced to invest more heavily into western titles now going forward since its clear the japanese home console market is a shitshoot. Then, not everything is a GTA in mindshare.

Nintendo is in total crisis if the 3DS continues to dip down and down. Far more serious than giving up the home console ghost.

Orgen

1. We don't seem to have total software sales for the PS4, only the top 20 so far. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. If the top 20 in December is inflated, so are the top 20 PSV / PS3 software numbers.

The point is that Sony systems never launch with huge software numbers. Software is slow in the beginning and spread out across many small 3rd party titles. PS4 software is performing better than PS3 software and PSV software did.

Say what? Just because PS4 had a title selling 80.000 copies then is performing better software wise than PS3 and Vita?

Sorry, you don't know what you're talking about.

3DS is dying. Not surprising, taking into account that smartphone penetration in Japan is expected to go up from 40something to 70something this year.

Nintendo NEEDS an Android based smartphone; third pillar emergency.

PS3 sold 82k, PS4 sold 309k

If you want to compare things that way:

PS4 Top 20 / Total = 209097 / 309154 = 0.676
PS3 Top 20 / Total = 56510 / 81639 = 0.692

Virtually the same, despite the fact that PS3 was heavily constrained hardware-wise, AND we're not even including Knack. Certainly not the "bad software" sales many were proclaiming. Simply the nature of Sony launches.

Hellraider

Aren't the extra Knack sales from those who imported a PS4? Or is it too obvious and no one mentioning it is the joke?

PS4 software as a whole was pretty terrible as expected, although I was positively suprised with Ishin. Pretty damn fine ratio and it bodes well for future Playstation multiplatform releases (whenever those get announced lol). Dynasty Warriors ratio was pretty terrible but let's hope the delay from the PS3/V versions is the main reason for it.

3DS desperately needs DQ11. No 2DS XL, no Pocket Hunter no nothing else can give it a decent boost. A huge title like that with a second wave of titles from Nintendo (things like Fire Emblem for example are due for a sequel) could at the very least not make the overall hardware numbers of the year so freaking terrible. I'm not optimistic though. The dream is dead and I really hope Nintendo understands that.

Next week is Vita's last year "revival" right? Things will be interesting. PS4 will be free falling until Ground Zeroes and I'm not even sure by how much MGS will stop that.

I've never seen a console launch with so much western stuff in japan.
Imagine the Ps4 launching in the USA with 10 dating sims and only two shooters.

Seriously. That emphasizes how "second tier" the Japanese market is to Sony now as much as the later release date, if not moreso.

BadWolf

The PS4 software sales look decent so far imo because you have to take into account that the system didn't launch during the holidays like other systems and came with a free game.

Personally, if I buy a PS4 and it comes with a free game that's all I'm taking home. I also have PS+ so there's free games from that to keep me occupied as well.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Knack is pre installed?

Yeah, that's strange, but up until now, Media Create has not counted download bundle-games, but other bundle-games they have counted. So maybe it's just a mistake and they thought Knack is a physical copy?

RalchAC

If you dont hunt the Pokemons, how do you tie in Pokemon into Monster Hunter?

AI partners?

PS4 software sales are actually quite good, despite what most people here are saying.

PS4 software sales aren't as bad as people say, but your comparision does not make sense at all. Number 20 in Mediacreate is at 6000 this week. It was at 28000 during PSVita launch.

07./00. [PSV] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.12.17} (¥4.980) - 61.412 / NEW
08./00. [PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.12.17} (¥5.980) - 48.224 / NEW
18./00. [PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2011.12.17} (¥6.090) - 29.181 / NEW
19./00. [PSV] Lord of Apocalypse <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.17} (¥5.980) - 28.742 / NEW
22./00. [PSV] Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011.12.17} (¥6.090)
28./00. [PSV] Ridge Racer <RCE> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.12.17} (¥3.980)
30./00. [PSV] Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru: 11 Hitome no Suspect <ADV> (Chunsoft)
43./00. [PSV] Dream Club Zero Portable <SLG> (D3 Publisher) {2011.12.17} (¥6.090)
44./00. [PSV] Touch My Katamari <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.12.17} (¥4.980)

48./00. [360] Final Fantasy XIII-2 <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.15} (¥7.980) - 10.000 / NEW

50./00. [PSV] Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen <ACT> (Spike) {2011.12.17} (¥6.090)

Top 50

PSV - 10

Here is the top50 from Vita first week. It looks like number 48 sold 10k units

So you've omited every game that sold between 6k and 28k. 6 of those titles are above 10k, Ridge Racer and Disgaea are probably slightly above 20.000 units. You're taking different samples and yet you compare them as if both were the same. As a result it doesn't make sense.

No harm intented, I just think you're wrong.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If you want to compare things that way:

PS4 Top 20 / Total = 209097 / 309154 = 0.676
PS3 Top 20 / Total = 56510 / 81639 = 0.692

Virtually the same, despite the fact that PS3 was heavily constrained hardware-wise, AND we're not even including Knack. Certainly not the "bad software" sales many were proclaiming. Simply the nature of Sony launches.

Spiegel tried to tell you but you don't get it. The only PS4 that didn't chart is NBA 2K14.

This the complete software

For retail PS3 had a 0,82 attach rate and Vita 0,92. I don't know what you try to show.

holy shit 3DS. Nintendo needs to hit that panic button right about now.
3DS' biggest days are over. Nearly all the major titles/franchises have seen a release. I expect to hear rumblings of the next system this year and a release next year. In the mean time, a price cut would be welcome.

Hellraider

3DS' biggest days are over. Nearly all the major titles/franchises have seen a release. I expect to hear rumblings of the next system this year and a release next year. In the mean time, a price cut would be welcome.

Knowing Nintendo I'm expecting two years of Wii-like drought for it before any real showings of the successor. At least there will be third parties this time.

Cygnus X-1

Nintendo's business is starting to get under attack in Japan too. If this will not cause a reaction, I don't know what will.

In my opinion, Nintendo is in serious danger to end up being unable to be part of this industry anymore. And not in 10 years - this fall or next year, looking at the trends.

For retail PS3 had a 0,82 attach rate and Vita 0,92. I don't know what you try to show.

Spiegel tried to tell you but you don't get it. The only PS4 that didn't chart is NBA 2K14.

This the complete software

Do we have complete software numbers for the PS4? No? Then why are we bring up complete PS3 and PSV numbers? Let's try to compare like against like. I admit it's not a perfect comparison, but neither is yours.

2K14 is the only game that didn't chart? What about Contrast? Resogun? Joysound Dive 2? Just Dance 2014? Lego Marvel Super Heroes? Madden NFL 25? NBA Live 14? The Pinball Arcade? Pool Nation Extreme? Skylanders: Swap Force? Sound Shapes? Tiny Brains? Tottemo E Mahjong Plus? Trine 2: Complete Story?

Oh, not to mention Knack comes with every system!

But let me ask you back the same question - what are you trying to show? That PS4 software performed badly? Is that what you're arguing?

Dragon

Banned
I don't care if there are F2P games. The comparison started with retail software. Vita must have sold more as digital if we go there.

I'm not talking about digital software specifically. I'm giving reasons why retail software could be lower, and really having a game already packed in is a valid reason why it COULD be.

Not even close.

Which part? 3DS' hardware is down significantly. I assume you're talking about franchises that haven't released yet.

Top Bottom