• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

3DS needs more content, simple as that. Nintendo could release the 2DS, but that can only do so much without major releases to drive sales.

My problem with this is Nintendo has almost exhausted all of the big hitter games for Japan (DQ, PazuDora, Mario games), hell they even made MH drop the PS systems and move to their platform. Add to that some new, uprising IPs (Yokai, etc.) and the base sales still continues to fall.

And Donkey Kong is still bombing hard. Nintendo should be in full panic mode or preparation of something new now. Which might lead to cheaper consoles (Yay?).

Bruno MB

Code:
03./00. [PS4] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) {2014.02.22} (¥8.600) - 73.086 / NEW <60-80%> 
07./00. [PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 26.878 / NEW <60-80%>
08./00. [PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥7.245) - 25.978 / NEW <60-80%> 
11./00. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.22} (¥8.190) - 13.576 / NEW <60-80%>
12./00. [PS4] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2014.02.22} (¥8.820) - 12.885 / NEW <60-80%> 
14./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥7.980) - 11.775 / NEW <40-60%> 
16./00. [PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥4.800) - 10.576 / NEW <60-80%>
17./00. [PS4] FIFA 14 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 9.780 / NEW <60-80%> 
23./00. [PS4] Need for Speed: &#8203;&#8203;Rivals <RCE> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 6.224 / NEW <60-80%>

With the exception of Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition, all these PS4 releases had a high sell-through rate for being launch titles.

01./00. [PS4] Knack # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥5.145) - 309.304 / NEW

Mecia create is tracking download cards now ?

Metallix87

OK? That doesn't make its launch number not good. Its software sales are bad, but I wasn't talking about that.

Then they should get some releases there. It's Nintendo's to maintain good 3DS sales. You can't just give reasons for the 3DS selling poorly and think that is acceptable.
Fair enough on the PS4, I suppose, though I'm definitely way more worried than you seem to be.

As for 3DS, I just don't think it's selling poorly. The system is obviously on decline, but the reasons why are obvious, and the decline isn't as bad as it could be. That's not to say Nintendo should do nothing. In fact, they should be doing a lot more. That said, I think the 3DS is less concerning than some believe, though again, they show that Nintendo needs to become more proactive in seeking out content, and also ready the 2DS for Japan.

duckroll

Sad state of affairs, mainly because that game with zombies is just bad.

I mentioned this in a previous thread, but I doubt zombies had anything to do with it. The reality seems to be that the modern day setting and characters are the biggest selling point for the series. Seeing the same "characters" playing different characters in a period setting seems to be less appealing to the same audience. If it was samurai zombies, it would probably have sold much less too.

[PSP] Kuroko's Basketball: Kiseki no Game - 36.844 / 78.587
[3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Miracle Victory - 43.087

3DS at its limit, tragic. :(

Nindroid better be on the way.

wotta

Remember that a lot of Japanese gamers where going to take advantage of the digital upgrade deal, so these figures aren't accurate, well unless Media Create tracks digital, which I don't think it does.

RalchAC

The real battle between Vita 2014 and Vita 2013 starts next week.

Yup. Let's see how it does during March. IMO April and May should be better than last year. June onward anything could happen.

Only a matter of time until it start falling behind its 2013 YTD.

Well, I think it could end March a little behind, but 2014 will be better overall than last year. They've started the year with a much better position and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony cuts the price of the 2000 model next fall.

Rixa

Media Create said:
06./05. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 35.125 / 458.961 (+58%)

Famitsu said:
06./03. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 29.814 / 461.090 <80-100%> (-6%)

Why there is so big difference in %?

AmanoBuff

Lol at the Knack jokes. While those are great numbers for the PS4, the attach rate worries me. Next few weeks will be interesting.

Nice hold for Vita, although its raw sales are not too high. Still, it's a somewhat respectable number considering it got no important releases and no Vita games charted.

3DS keeps going down. I wonder where it'll stop.

I've never seen a console launch with so much western stuff in japan.
Imagine the Ps4 launching in the USA with 10 dating sims and only two shooters.

JoeM86

OK? That doesn't make its launch number not good. Its software sales are bad, but I wasn't talking about that.

Then they should get some releases there. It's Nintendo's to maintain good 3DS sales. You can't just give reasons for the 3DS selling poorly and think that is acceptable.

My fear is that the 3DS is starting to reach saturation point in Japan, and the time of weekly figures over 100k is long gone.

There's no big games on the horizon, no new model. They need to sort this. Reveal a new game...say Pokémon x Monster Hunter (both 3DS and Wii U), with a 3DSi release. Have a Pokémon x Monster Hunter special 3DSi on the same day. Job done. Japan goes crazy. Nintendo prints money.

A man can dream.

Metallix87

And Donkey Kong is still bombing hard. Nintendo should be in full panic mode or preparation of something new now. Which might lead to cheaper consoles (Yay?).
The Wii U is another situation entirely. Nintendo has bungled up everything on that front, and as I've said, there is no saving it now.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yokai Watch sales are pretty impressive. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze drop isnt that bad, at least in terms of percentages.

PS4 didn't sell out, though, and the software sales are atrocious.

3DS is in decline because the big releases have dried up, but considering that, it's still holding on well, though Nintendo needs to get third parties more on-board so they can really start pumping out new content.
Generally speaking, not selling out doesnt really mean that much though. Its the total sales number that matters.

Metallix87

My fear is that the 3DS is starting to reach saturation point in Japan, and the time of weekly figures over 100k is long gone.

There's no big games on the horizon, no new model. They need to sort this. Reveal a new game...say Pokémon x Monster Hunter (both 3DS and Wii U), with a 3DSi release. Have a Pokémon x Monster Hunter special 3DSi on the same day. Job done. Japan goes crazy. Nintendo prints money.

A man can dream.
I agree with this post in its entirety.

Tratorn

Code:
03./00. [PS4] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) {2014.02.22} (¥8.600) - 73.086 / NEW <60-80%> 
07./00. [PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 26.878 / NEW <60-80%>
08./00. [PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥7.245) - 25.978 / NEW <60-80%> 
11./00. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.22} (¥8.190) - 13.576 / NEW <60-80%>
12./00. [PS4] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2014.02.22} (¥8.820) - 12.885 / NEW <60-80%> 
14./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥7.980) - 11.775 / NEW <40-60%> 
16./00. [PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥4.800) - 10.576 / NEW <60-80%>
17./00. [PS4] FIFA 14 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 9.780 / NEW <60-80%> 
23./00. [PS4] Need for Speed: &#8203;&#8203;Rivals <RCE> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 6.224 / NEW <60-80%>

With the exception of Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition, all these PS4 releases had a high sell-through rate for being launch titles.

Attach-Rate:
190785 / 309.304 = 0,62

qq more

hate to sound rude i really dont get the appeal of pokemon x monster hunter

i dont think both concepts mesh very well

Mr Swine

Banned
Fantastic numbers for the PS4 and Knack! It's not that far from SM3DW.
3DS is doing ok, they need to release a new handheld next year
Vita is doing not so good, better than last year, should be up 1 million in sales this year when the heavy hitters come out.
Wii U is doing bad, Nintendo needs to drop the price and bundle Mario Kart 8 with it

25./00. [PS3] Strider <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.02.22} (¥3.990) - 5.202 / NEW <20-40%>

Yikes. Pretty silly of Capcom to make the retail version exclusive to PS3 during the PS4's launch week. Maybe then the game would have actually gotten some attention.

[PSP] Kuroko's Basketball: Kiseki no Game - 36.844 / 78.587
[3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Miracle Victory - 43.087

3DS at its limit, tragic. :(

Nindroid better be on the way.

Isn't it known that otaku games (Sorry for that term) sell better on PS systems?

Late Edit cause slow Internet:
The Wii U is another situation entirely. Nintendo has bungled up everything on that front, and as I've said, there is no saving it now.
Oh I see, that should put Nintendo on the edge more. Somehow, I don't like companies who are out on the edge for a long time. They seem to milk their franchises hard (Capcpom with MH, SE with FF, Sony Pics with Spidey) and tend to shy away from creative risky projects. Looks like we will be seeing Mario and friends on a few more games now just to increase sales. Quite speculative opinion of mine but that's what I'm seeing in the markets.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
So looking to those Ishin numbers what excuse do Japanese devs have to not make their games cross gen from this point forward.

Into

Good opening for ps4, bad attach rate, that cannot be denied.

What will surely reignite the 3ds is another new iteration, 2014 in no way has the mega hits like 2013 did, so a new model Is hopefully in the oven

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Knack sales have to be the bundles numbers, right?

And why is it higher than the PS4 number? Doesn't make sense.

RalchAC

Lol at the Knack jokes. While those are great numbers for the PS4, the attach rate worries me. Next few weeks will be interesting.

Nice hold for Vita, although its raw sales are not too high. Still, it's a somewhat respectable number considering it got no important releases and no Vita games charted.

3DS keeps going down. I wonder where it'll stop.

I think that attach rate is "normal" since they're bundling Knack in every console sold and FFXIV has a free upgrade for those with the PS3 version. Those two things have probably bring down the "real" attach rate.

Deep Down beta is summer now, right?

Nibel

If 3DS is already reaching saturation Nintendo probably has to at least announce a new handheld next year.

They'll present their QOL product this year, release it next year and then look into the results - and think about if a new traditional dedicated handheld is necessary

That's my take on the situation. Sure, they probably have dozens of prototypes and experimented with a lot of things, but who knows how that new product will play out and how its success or failure might change Nintendo

Effect

That 3DS number has to be scary for Nintendo. Good to see PS4 off to a strong start.

EDIT: Oops, misread Vita. Appeared to hold.

I hope it is. I hope Nintendo realizes they can't even allow the Wii U to just limp along on life support either. Looking forward to DKCR: TF's numbers outside of Japan as well. I want Nintendo terrified on all fronts.

So even if they can't save the Wii U (not possible I feel as that ship has sailed) or stop the slide of the 3DS that they are forced to make sure they don't allow this to happen again. Even if that means forcing them to change their corporate culture. Their fall needs to be felt significantly and be complete on all fronts for that to even have a hope of taking place.

I will not be surprised if we see sub 7K or even 6K numbers soon. There is nothing for the system until the very, very end of May. Even then that depends on what has been added to Mario Kart.

Top Bottom