• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

LOCK

Nintendo has reached saturation with the current audience that they have targeted. The only way to increase sales is to get that hardcore base to upgrade to a new model, which I doubt is the 2DS. And finally target additional audiences.

Though the 2DS is needed. It is just severely focused in its target audience (kids). They should get a Yokai Watch bundle with the 2DS. Would sell great.

Shengar

All of that Knack jokes lol
Vita still declining, I wonder if it'll hit sub 15k next week?
My fear is that the 3DS is starting to reach saturation point in Japan, and the time of weekly figures over 100k is long gone.

There's no big games on the horizon, no new model. They need to sort this. Reveal a new game...say Pokémon x Monster Hunter (both 3DS and Wii U), with a 3DSi release. Have a Pokémon x Monster Hunter special 3DSi on the same day. Job done. Japan goes crazy. Nintendo prints money.

A man can dream.

3DSi with second circle pad before MH4G release and some bundle with it should move more units.

Xater

They'll present their QOL product this year, release it next year and then look into the results - and think about if a new traditional dedicated handheld is necessary

That's my take on the situation. Sure, they probably have dozens of prototypes and experimented with a lot of things, but who knows how that new product will play out and how its success or failure might change Nintendo

Well the Wii U is not going to help them and if that 3DS money dries up they have to have something. Apparently they don't want to leave hardware business. I am not willing to speculate about their QOL products at this point. We don't know what that will be or how successful something like that might be.

crinale

Speaking of WiiU I just read Ninty is recalling premium version from stores, to be replaced with newer bundles or something.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
most japanese buyers' first taste of what the next generation of home consoles can offer is going to be knack.

and for many of them, their second taste will be finishing the new MGS they bought just an hour ago.

Knack and Vita in absolute beast mode.

Either people who don't even own PS4s are buying this masterpiece or some PS4 owners just needed an extra copy. It's that good!

at this point I have zero doubt there will be a Knack sequel

JoeM86

Speaking of WiiU I just read Ninty is recalling premium version from stores, to be replaced with newer bundles or something.

Yeah, at the end of next month a special Wii Sports bundle is being released for a lower price.

It contains the offline version, Wii Sports Club Lite, as well as a download code to upgrade them to the standard Wii Sports Club games with online.

PS4 software sales are actually quite good, despite what most people here are saying.

First, you have to remember that the Wii U launched during the holidays, and that Nintendo systems get a much larger boost during the holidays than Sony systems. Also, Nintendo 1st party software always do great numbers, but they are few in number. Sony systems, on the other hand, tend to start off slow, with more variety in titles (due in large part to 3rd parties), and lower volumes for each title.

In order to properly gauge PS4's performance, you have to compare it to past Sony systems.

Compare the PS4 launch software in the top 20 to the PS3 launch software in the top 20:

01./00. [PS4] Knack # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥5.145) - 309.304 / NEW
03./00. [PS4] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) {2014.02.22} (¥8.600) - 82.540 / NEW
07./00. [PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥7.245) - 32.336 / NEW
08./00. [PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 24.799 / NEW
11./00. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.22} (¥8.190) - 14.356 / NEW
13./00. [PS4] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2014.02.22} (¥8.820) - 13.862 / NEW
14./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥7.980) - 13.701 / NEW
15./00. [PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥4.800) - 12.093 / NEW
18./00. [PS4] FIFA 14 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 8.808 / NEW
20./00. [PS4] Need for Speed: &#8203;&#8203;Rivals <RCE> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 6.602 / NEW

Total: 209097 (without Knack)

9. (PS3) Ridge Racer 7 - Bandai Namco - 21,655 - NEW
10. (PS3) Gundam: sales Target not in Sight - Bandai Namco - 21,310 - NEW
13. (PS3) Resistance - SCE - 13,545 - NEW

Total: 56510

The fact that 10 out of the 20 titles are PS4 titles bodes well for the system. The numbers are low mostly because Knack is bundled, and that software sales across the board are low. Most people were predicting sales of Yakuza to be 2.5:1 in PS3's favor. In reality, the ratio is only 1.7:1. Even in Japan, consumers are more eager than previously anticipated to move on from the PS3 to the PS4. That's excellent news.

Edit: even more proof, see Vita's 1st week software sales, note that Vita actually pushed more hardware than the PS4.

07./00. [PSV] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.12.17} (¥4.980) - 61.412 / NEW
08./00. [PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.12.17} (¥5.980) - 48.224 / NEW
18./00. [PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2011.12.17} (¥6.090) - 29.181 / NEW
19./00. [PSV] Lord of Apocalypse <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.17} (¥5.980) - 28.742 / NEW

Total: 167559

sales target for Yakuza Ishin posted by Chris:

LTD sales targets from publishers

[PS3] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) (¥8.600) - 350k
[PS4] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) (¥8.600) - 150k

PS4 version seems doable.. I am sceptical about the PS3 version, though.

lol @ Knack selling more copies than the PS4 itself.

iBEdLUskP2UiJ.gif

Go_Ly_Dow

PS4 software sales are actually quite good, despite what most people here are saying.

First, you have to remember that the Wii U launched during the holidays, and that Nintendo systems get a much larger boost during the holidays than Sony systems. Also, Nintendo 1st party software always do great numbers, but they are few in number. Sony systems, on the other hand, tend to start off slow, with more variety in titles (due in large part to 3rd parties), and lower volumes for each title.

In order to properly gauge PS4's performance, you have to compare it to past Sony systems.

Compare the PS4 launch software in the top 20 to the PS3 launch software in the top 20:

01./00. [PS4] Knack # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥5.145) - 309.304 / NEW
07./00. [PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥7.245) - 32.336 / NEW
08./00. [PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 24.799 / NEW
11./00. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.22} (¥8.190) - 14.356 / NEW
13./00. [PS4] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2014.02.22} (¥8.820) - 13.862 / NEW
14./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥7.980) - 13.701 / NEW
15./00. [PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥4.800) - 12.093 / NEW
18./00. [PS4] FIFA 14 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 8.808 / NEW
20./00. [PS4] Need for Speed: &#8203;&#8203;Rivals <RCE> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665) - 6.602 / NEW

9. (PS3) Ridge Racer 7 - Bandai Namco - 21,655 - NEW
10. (PS3) Gundam: sales Target not in Sight - Bandai Namco - 21,310 - NEW
13. (PS3) Resistance - SCE - 13,545 - NEW

The fact that 10 out of the 20 titles are PS4 titles bodes well for the system. The numbers are low mostly because Knack is bundled, and that software across the board are low. Most people were predicting sales of Yakuza to be 2.5:1 in PS3's favor. In reality, the ratio is only 1.7:1. Even in Japan, consumers are more eager than previously anticipated to move on from the PS3 to the PS4. That's excellent news.

I hope you're right.

sales target for Yakuza Ishin posted by Chris:

PS4 - 150K
PS3 - 350K

PS4 version seems doable.. I am sceptical about the PS3 version, though.

Yeah PS4 is definitely doable. PS3 is possible with the best release, but will probably just about hit 250-300k.

Glass Joe

I doubt most people use their WiiUs anymore. They're either in a closet somewhere, or sold back to a second hand store.

Yet 1/3 of the userbase already own a release that only just came out late November. Insanely good ratio for any game, especially considering most of them are in closets or sold to second hand stores.

TheChaos0

And the Lord Mark Cerny said - "For he who buyeth Knack once, is good and shall have a good life. But he who buyeth Knack twice, is a man above all men and shall have a seat at the Sony table in Vita heaven."

Vita still holding well, even without releases. I don't see anyone getting one for remote play just yet. Maybe if there were some more compelling titles. The differences in 3DS and Vita's LTDs is interesting, what a change from the last year. Can Vita keep this up for the rest of the year, obviously it won't do as good as it did post the price cut, real challenge begins in the next few months.

3DS is pretty low, Nintendo blew it's load last year so it'll be hard if not impossible to keep the sales at the same level.

pokrmon x monster hunter wouldnt do anything lol, spinnoffs of games that already have a main enrty on a system wont help hardware sales. Who out there is going to buy that but not the original games?

The only big thing left to drive hardware is mainline non mmo dq and price cuts and I don't even know how much hardware dq would push. how many dq fans are also mh/pokemon/animal crossing and are already on board?

The brain age/nintendogs mass market has left and thats where the sales gap between 3ds and ds is and thats the only place left to look for growth. Without that audience theres just declines until the successor. Its going to pass 20 mill easy and thats pretty great for how things are looking these days in japan.

jcm

The PS4 software sales actually seem decent to me. It would be nice if we could know how many Plus subscriptions they sold. Does anyone publicly report accessory sales in Japan?

Shengar

Infinite Stratos and Valhalla Knights should prevent it from dropping any further.

3DS might get a nice bump with Fossil Fighters and Harvest Moon!
I'm not sure since that partcular audience should've a Vita at this point.
And the Lord Mark Cerny said - "For he who buyeth Knack once, is good and shall have a good life. But he who buyeth Knack twice, is a man above all men and shall have a seat at the Sony table in Vita heaven."

This is gold

Friction

This reminded me how expensive games are in Japan.

Shahed

Yeah PS4 is definitely doable. PS3 is possible with the best release, but will probably just about hit 250-300k.

Hopefully PS3 versions falls far short, and the PS4 release does well above expectations in order to compensate, and that it gives Japanese devs/pubs a wake up call. Happens in the West to but publishers seem to fixated on overall install base, when the active install (admittedly harder to know) is far more important.

The sooner previous gen only releases become cross gen, and the cross gen games become new generation only, the better

Road

sörine;102346082 said:
If Mediacreate is now counting bundles where are NSMBU and Wii Party U?

Media Create has always tracked bundles, they just decided for some random reason not to included the Wii U one. I won't be surprised if it appears in the Media Create White Paper top 1000.

They just need to have a standard and stick with it! We're paying nothing, but we're entitled to an explanation.

Effect

Those DK sales are horrible. What are people playing on their wiiu?

People never should have wrongly assumed that Wii U owners were single console owners and just upgrading from a Wii only. I would think the majority, especially the early adopters, had other systems in addition to the Wii before they picked up the Wii U. Personally I haven't been playing my Wii U much and instead been focusing on my 3DS and PC (going through the entire Mass Effect trilogy. At the end of ME3 now.). I'm likely to switch that focus either back to MMORPGs soon or my PS3 until I can afford a PS4 in my budget as we get closer to the spring. That's limiting what new games I'm willing to pick up as well.

I would not be surprised if other Wii U owners have diverted their attention, time, and money back to older systems, the 3DS and even the Vita or already picked up a PS4 or XBO as well. Nintendo has not given anyone a significant reason not to do that. It would help explain why games aren't selling even though there should be enough hardware out there to get a certain level of sales.

That and it's just possible that people did not want Donkey Kong regardless of how good it might be. Where as another game, that is more wanted, might have an insane attach rate by comparison. I didn't buy Tropical Freeze because I didn't want another Donkey Kong game or another platformer. That it's an amazing game doesn't matter to me.

Tratorn

PS4 software sales are actually quite good, despite what most people here are saying

Wouldn't say they're "good" (they aren't), but better than some of the comments suggested.

It's just a 0.62 rate without Knack, but there are many reasons for that.

PS4 owners can play Knack, F2P-games and FF14-beta for free and also get some cross-platform games really cheap from PSN if they own the PS3 version already. And since probably more than 90% of the PS4 owners also own a PS3, they also have some of these "PS3 upgrade"-supported games at home.

AmanoBuff

I think that attach rate is "normal" since they're bundling Knack in every console sold and FFXIV has a free upgrade for those with the PS3 version. Those two things have probably bring down the "real" attach rate.

Deep Down beta is summer now, right?

Oh right, I forgot about FFXIV. That light explain a portion of the lower-than-usual software sales.

Still, I wonder how hw sales will continue with the less than stellar stream of upcoming releases.

Chindogg

3DS keeps going down. I wonder where it'll stop.

Is MH4G out yet? That would be a good place to start.

I'm waiting on PS4 after the big games release, but its software sales have been sucking worldwide. Seems like people are buying it out of the promise of good software, rather than what's available now.

Only time will tell. Congrats to Vita for holding though. And Wii U still holding amazingly enough. There could still be some life in those consoles given a few positive turns.

maltrain

Why Knack sold more copies than PS4?

Easy, many japanese have imported PS4... or you think all of them waited three months?

Spiegel

bla bla bla

Vita software in the top 20

Don't do this.

Top 20 in december != Top 20 in february

You need to compare total software sales.

Top Bottom