• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

EO won't be replaced. It has a strong following and is cheap to make, and thus profitable. I see PQ as more of a one-off thing for Atlus' 25th anniversary, but there definitely would be an EOV.

Yep. So much "definitely coming to 3DS!1!" pre-announce, now much cry, so salt.
The irony is that it's actually PS4 owners that are the ones demonstrating what you suggest more than any other crowd. :p

BlackJace

Even funnier is that Persona Q was shown before 5 was, drawing the ire of everyone expecting a console Persona during the stream. Call me crazy, but I didn't see any "salty" 3DS fans after the fact.

L~A

Yeah, Etrian Odyssey isn't going anywhere, series is too successful for that. It's no sales behemoth, but it's still significant enough for them to keep it. And besides, Persona Q isn't a true EO game (as I said it's more a Persona game with EO stuff).

And besides, there was that experiment with Etrian Odyssey Untold... I expect them to do that with Etrian Odyssey V, while keeping a traditional mode.

What I'd love to know is where the hell is Devil Survivor : Break Record. It's starting to get really worrying.

RalchAC

Yup, dropping the 2nd screen would be a bad idea in my opinion. Not just because of BC, but also because that's part of what differentiates Nintendo handhelds. I'll never understand : 1) the myth that Nintendo handhelds would suddenly become power beasts with just one screen; 2) people want every console to look the same, have the same specs, have nothing to differentiate them.

In which world releasing a 720p handheld on 2016 would be a "power beast" when most 2013 devices already are 1080p?

About 2, I think we just have different tastes. I don't especially like having two screens when a single touch screen can do the same work. I find a one screen device with a magnetic case to protect the screen better. You don't think so.

My guess is : Nintendo will want to make it even easier for them to port their game from smartphones. They want what GungHo did with Puzzle & Dragons Z : have two versions of the game, one P2P and the other F2P.

They've made fairly easy to make Android/iOS developers port their games to the WiiU. I think that's already happening. And I think smart devices developers should create P2P versions of their games as GungHo did with P&DZ. The actual mobile market is a bubble. It'd continue growing for some time, then it'll explode and hit bottom. After reaching an all time low it'll start growing slowly again but at a more reasonable pace. Half the revenue is being made at the expense of a couple of thousands of whales, that business is quite risky. If something "shinnier" appears in the lets say two years and gets their attention those companies that need whales' support to be profitable will go bankrupt, or reach extraordinary losses and lots of mobile games would close their service.

For that reason I think those mobile juggernauts need to expand to different markets. Rovio has released some Angry Birds games on consoles (though they're direct ports iirc) and has a ton of merchandising. GungHo is buying console studios and has released their most popular brand (Puzzle and Dragons Z) on the 3DS with nice results. Diversifying is good, especially when you're in risky businesses like the mobile market.

Frodo

Even funnier is that Persona Q was shown before 5 was, drawing the ire of everyone expecting a console Persona during the stream. Call me crazy, but I didn't see any "salty" 3DS fans after the fact.

That stream was the funniest thing ever. Well, not he stream, the reactions.

And by funny I mean embarrassing.

What I'd love to know is where the hell is Devil Survivor : Break Record. It's starting to get really worrying.
It's really bizarre. Granted it was going to have a bit more extra content compared to Overclocked but it still looked like the DS game without top screen support to boot. It should be out the door by now. I can only hope it's getting real overhaul.

Hellraider

It's really bizarre. Granted it was going to have a bit more extra content compared to Overclocked but it still looked like the DS game without top screen support to boot. It should be out the door by now. I can only hope it's getting real overhaul.

It gets even weirder when you think they even had an anime series for it that has long now ended.

Pooya

Break Record is probably shelved, it looked like it was part of their cross media thing announced along with the anime trying to do something similar as with P4, the anime was terrible, iirc it bombed too. Now that window has passed for a while and it didn't spark any interest anyway, looks like it's a waste of money to release such a port now and it doesn't have priority anymore. Index troubles probably contributed to its delay too.

L~A

In which world releasing a 720p handheld on 2016 would be a "power beast" when most 2013 devices already are 1080p?

"Graphical beast" was a hyperbole. My point was : "why do people think the two screens is holding graphics on Nintendo handhelds?" Because it's not. Sure, it has an impact, there's no denying that, but I strongly doubt that's the actual reason. I think the 3D has a much bigger impact (which is why I believe they'll get rid of it for the next handheld).

About 2, I think we just have different tastes. I don't especially like having two screens when a single touch screen can do the same work. I find a one screen device with a magnetic case to protect the screen better. You don't think so.

Fair enough. I think by screen, you're actually talking of "physical" screen, right?

Your post made me think of ways Nintendo could keep the 2 screens (by doing what they've done with the 2DS... I think their next handheld could have many things in common with that console). You could hold the console one way (one screen) and the other way (dual screen), but it'd be a mess with the buttons.

If they actually found a way to keep the DS thing going with just one screen, that'd be a cool compromise.

They've made fairly easy to make Android/iOS developers port their games to the WiiU. I think that's already happening. And I think smart devices developers should create P2P versions of their games as GungHo did with P&DZ. The actual mobile market is a bubble. It'd continue growing for some time, then it'll explode and hit bottom. After reaching an all time low it'll start growing slowly again but at a more reasonable pace. Half the revenue is being made at the expense of a couple of thousands of whales, that business is quite risky. If something "shinnier" appears in the lets say two years and gets their attention those companies that need whales' support to be profitable will go bankrupt, or reach extraordinary losses and lots of mobile games would close their service.

For that reason I think those mobile juggernauts need to expand to different markets. Rovio has released some Angry Birds games on consoles (though they're direct ports iirc) and has a ton of merchandising. GungHo is buying console studios and has released their most popular brand (Puzzle and Dragons Z) on the 3DS with nice results. Diversifying is good, especially when you're in risky businesses like the mobile market.

I don't think it will quite as radical as that. Unless there's a new big thing real soon, mobile gaming is there to stay. It's cheap. It's on devices everyone own. There's probably going to be a drop "soon", but I'm not expecting a bubble burst. Well, I sort am, but it will only be part of the whole mobile thing.

That stream was the funniest thing ever. Well, not he stream, the reactions.

And by funny I mean embarrassing.

Yeah, people going from 'F*CK YOU ATLUS to (because omg 3DS game!) to LOVE YOU ATLUS was really embarassing. There was also that dancing game interlude where everyone was 'WTF", ha ha ha. Incredible stream :p

Really strange indeed. Maybe they have a second season in the works? Game was delayed when it was supposed to be ready, so I don't understand what's the hold up. Pretty sure Index bankruptcy had an impact, but not sure what.

I wish Aena could drop us a hint or something, she's usually pretty knowledgeable with everything regarding Atlus.

Break Record is probably shelved, it looked like it was part of their cross media thing announced along with the anime trying to do something similar as with P4, the anime was terrible, iirc it bombed too. Now that window has passed for a while and it didn't spark any interest anyway, looks like it's a waste of money to release such a port now and it doesn't have priority anymore. Index troubles probably contributed to its delay too.

If it was, they wouldn't have delayed it a second time, it doesn't make sense. And the game was apparently done. Besides, 1st delay was announced less than 1 month after the anime started airing... if they really had cancelled it because anime wasn't working, that'd be pretty crazy.

And I'm pretty sure the first remake was pretty sucessful, even without the anime... so I'm not buying the whole 'cross-media thing didn't work out'. Actually, I think it might be the opposite, but who knows?

Oh, and there's that Atlus USA NY message with the new character from Break Record, pretty random!

I am wondering if the Japanese numbers helped push PS4 over WiiU globally. Should be really close by now.

Shipped or sold to consumer numbers for the Wii U though? Pretty sure we don't have WW Wii U numbers for sold to consumer. It's likely PS4 has sold more units to consumers by now as it was at 5.3 million WW up til Feb 8. Add 320K for Japan launch. 5.62 million WW + 3 weeks WW sales sans Japan since the 8th and PS4 likely has passed 6 million WW

RalchAC

"Graphical beast" was a hyperbole. My point was : "why do people think the two screens is holding graphics on Nintendo handhelds?" Because it's not. Sure, it has an impact, there's no denying that, but I strongly doubt that's the actual reason. I think the 3D has a much bigger impact (which is why I believe they'll get rid of it for the next handheld).

Ok. That's a good point. I think 3D take quite some resources. There are some games that are 30 fps with 3D and 60 in normal mode, right?

Fair enough. I think by screen, you're actually talking of "physical" screen, right?

I don't especially like the idea of two screens on the DS/3DS, tbh. It's not unbearable, that's sure, but I'd prefer only one.

If they actually found a way to keep the DS thing going with just one screen, that'd be a cool compromise.

Yep, BC is probably the biggest isue about the DS line right now. But if they want to share games across next console and handheld it'll be harder if they need to build mechanics around the two screens and their next homeconsole don't have a GamePad. I'm quite curious about how things develop.

For some 3DS games they could solve the problem with a button (be physichal or virtual) that would exchange between main / secondary screen. In some it won't work though.

I don't think it will quite as radical as that. Unless there's a new big thing real soon, mobile gaming is there to stay. It's cheap. It's on devices everyone own. There's probably going to be a drop "soon", but I'm not expecting a bubble burst. Well, I sort am, but it will only be part of the whole mobile thing.

Well, Internet was here to stay and there was quite a huge crash back then. I think mobile game is here to stay too, but right now the mobile industry is quite speculative and thus fragile. Maybe is not all doom and gloom, but IMO the symptoms of a bubble are there, and i'd be rather cautious if I were a mobile-only developer.

Well, Internet was here to stay and there was quite a huge crash back then. I think mobile game is here to stay too, but right now the mobile industry is quite speculative and thus fragile. Maybe is not all doom and gloom, but IMO the symptoms of a bubble are there, and i'd be rather cautious if I were a mobile-only developer.
Facebook gaming might be a better analogy.

Faustek

Comgnet comparison, as of February 28th, 2014

[PS3] Dark Souls - 250pt
[PS3] Dark Souls 2 - 108pt + 40pt (collector's) = 148pt

*SNIP*

Sorry but "pt" what? point? What point? Really sorry if this is common knowledge but I usually just join these threads to see the numbers and maybe once or twice express my joy that the Vita can still hold it's Zombie status.

EDIT:

And about Persona on 3DS...Are people really excited for it? It's seems to me it's a fangame. I really hope it's good, and I'll be one of the first idiots in line(pfft order online, I will never ever buy from gamestop again) to buy it but I'm not expecting anything great from what I've seen so far. In other words it seems as a wet dream come through...and they should remain dreams.

My own take on it, good for Nintendo. Apparently developing for the DS environment, even if they sold like crap, where profitable enough to justify more ventures in the future ecosystems. Although, you're killing a good chunk of the atmosphere with that crappy DS/3DS sound setup. Great games still but man I would love to be able to actually use my system at home instead of what comes delivered with the crap the handhelds bring :/ Give me Nocturne/Lucifers Call remastered you DINKS!

RalchAC

Sorry but "pt" what? point? What point? Really sorry if this is common knowledge but I usually just join these threads to see the numbers and maybe once or twice express my joy that the Vita can still hold it's Zombie status.

1 pt = 1 pre-order in a Japanese chain of stores called Comgnet. It has like 8 stores, but they release daily their preorder numbers. It isn't the best sample from future games performance unless the difference is huge.

About the spoiler. Have you seen Supernatural? :p

test_account

XP-39C²
Yep, pt stands for points indeed. One point represent one pre-order. So if a game has i.e 100 points, it means that 100 people pre-ordered that game at Comgnet (a store chain in Japan that concist of 6 or 9 stores or something, unfortunately i dont remember the exact number).

Faustek

Yep, pt stands for points indeed. One point represent one pre-order. So if a game has i.e 100 points, it means that 100 people pre-ordered that game at Comgnet (a store chain in Japan that concist of 6 or 9 stores or something, unfortunately i dont remember the exact number).

Thanks, made more sense now :)

1 pt = 1 pre-order in a Japanese chain of stores called Comgnet. It has like 8 stores, but they release daily their preorder numbers. It isn't the best sample from future games performance unless the difference is huge.

Thanks.

Hell yes I've seen Supernatural, Dean and Sam are my Kinsey scale manipulators. And Dean is totally right, Anime/Hentai is fine Art form! And btw they haven't really killed anything, just killed their mortal form and banished it to Spoilers season 8
purgatory, but I reckon Dick is dead, haven't finished watching it yet

RalchAC

Hell yes I've seen Supernatural, Dean and Sam are my Kinsey scale manipulators. And Dean is totally right, Anime/Hentai is fine Art form! And btw they haven't really killed anything, just killed their mortal form and banished it to Spoilers season 8
purgatory, but I reckon Dick is dead, haven't finished watching it yet

Then you know Salt + Fire or Silver is the answer for 80% of those cases xD.

Season 7, I'm not going to read that spoiler.

allan-bh

Digital Sales - January 2014 (2014.01.06 - 2014.02.02)

01. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost - 10.369 (3,9%)
02. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe - 9.487 (2,3%)
03. [PS3] Diablo III - 5.473 (14,2%)
04. [PSV] Disgaea 4 Return - 5.254 (17,6%)
05. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z - 4.240 (3,8%)
06. [PS3] Sengoku Basara 4 - 3.678 (1,9%)
07. [PSV] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster: Twin Pack - 3.616 (10,1%)
08. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch - 3.598 (5,0%)
09. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 3.296 (4,4%)
10. [PS3] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster - 2.981 (6,7%)

A Full month and 10k for the best selling title. Digital sales are very low.

16 stores

http://www.comgnet.com/shop/

crinale

Yodobashi's current status.

I suppose Sony knows there won't be that much of demand in Japan, so allocating more units eleswhere makes more sense.
Also I heard that from next shipment won't have Knack bundled any more.
Knack domination didn't last too long :(

Soriku

I doubt they shelved it. It probably just got put on the backburner during the Index situation, but the Devil Survivor team has to be doing something, and I don't know if they'll be announcing a third game soon.

And about Persona on 3DS...Are people really excited for it? It's seems to me it's a fangame. I really hope it's good, and I'll be one of the first idiots in line(pfft order online, I will never ever buy from gamestop again) to buy it but I'm not expecting anything great from what I've seen so far. In other words it seems as a wet dream come through...and they should remain dreams.

Gameplay should be good. Music should hopefully be good too. The story seems more light-hearted/sillier but that's OK. Should be fun though.

I doubt it'll shatter minds but it should turn out well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yodobashi's current status.

I suppose Sony knows there won't be that much of demand in Japan, so allocating more units eleswhere makes more sense.
Also I heard that from next shipment won't have Knack bundled any more.
Knack domination didn't last too long :(

It's strange. Yesterday, sales have been rather slow, with not big changes compared to Thurdsay, but on Saturday they accelerated again, and now we have the light SKU available at only 1 store (actually, this didn't change that much) and the camera SKU available at 3 stores (this changed a lot). Maybe, it's just the fact that there's more traffic in the weekend, or that most of the available stock from Friday was almost finished, so it only took a few supplementary sales to go sold out...eh. Still, things seem to have slowed down: shipment is inevitably lower than the launch one (who knows how much, though) and, after three days, there's still some stock in few stores. At launch, instead, Yodobashi went mostly out of stock in 2 days, right?

Hopefully, during next days, we'll get more impressions from people in Japan like you as well...where's hiska-kun, by the way?

It's strange. Yesterday, sales have been rather slow, with not big changes compared to Thurdsay, but on Saturday they accelerated again, and now we have the light SKU available at only 1 store (actually, this didn't change that much) and the camera SKU available at 3 stores (this changed a lot). Maybe, it's just the fact that there's more traffic in the weekend, or that most of the available stock from Friday was almost finished, so it only took a few supplementary sales to go sold out...eh. Still, things seem to have slowed down: shipment is inevitably lower than the launch one (who knows how much, though) and, after three days, there's still some stock in few stores. At launch, instead, Yodobashi went out of stock in 2 days, right?

Hopefully, during next days, we'll get more impressions from people in Japan like you as well...where's hiska-kun, by the way?

3-4 days for first shipment, only the camera bundle in 3 stores sold out in 2. Again alot of theses stores didn't get restock till 2 days ago (we had this conversation 2 days ago remember? )

If there's money, there's a way.

I think everyone knows by now that Persona Q is not cannon.

EO won't be replaced. It has a strong following and is cheap to make, and thus profitable. I see PQ as more of a one-off thing for Atlus' 25th anniversary, but there definitely would be an EOV.

The irony is that it's actually PS4 owners that are the ones demonstrating what you suggest more than any other crowd. :p

Persona Q is simply an EO game with Persona characters.

I'm a PS3 owner and I want P5 to be on the PS4. Many people just want to move on to next gen. Not to mention before the reveal and even after I remember mods saying that they did hear a PS4 SKU.

I don't know what exactly happened but if the PS4 sales are decent I am sure we will see a port.

SD_200000015000048499510B1.gif

Good news. PS4 seems to be selling out.

Mpl90

3-4 days for first shipment, only the camera bundle in 3 stores sold out in 2. Again alot of theses stores didn't get restock till 2 days ago (we had this conversation 2 days ago remember? )

Ah yes, the situation on Feb 23rd was of camera SKU being almost sold out everywhere and the light one being a bit more, so not mostly sold out. That happened on 24th, right?

About the second part, I remember that. In fact, I'm counting today too, and that's why I said PS4's second shipment went almost sold out in around 3 days: February 27th, February 28th and March 1st.

However, if Yodobashi is correct, this is not a Vita like situation, at least, with lots of stock staying and not being bought. ...If only we had any indication of the second shipment...

EDIT: If I'm reading it correctly, Yodobashi's site says that the not Limited Pack PS4 will be available from March 4th. Right? Anything else important said in the page?

Mpl90

Yodobashi's page just changed. Now, it's about PS4 regular SKU, which will be available on March 5th.

Shengar

We still don't know how much unit allocated for Japan by Sony right? Is 450k-500k possible numbers for shipped unit?
So they won't get any Knack and Knack + Camera bundles anymore?

Knack domination is over, Lord Cerny no longer grace Japan with Knack Bundles.

RalchAC

Thanks. Have they expanded recently?

So they won't get any Knack and Knack + Camera bundles anymore?

They wanted to throw a bone to early adopters, since they got the console 1-3 months later than most of the world. Giving early adopters to weeks to early adopt looks enough for me.

It'd be interesting what happens when it's not bundled anymore, maybe it has good word of mouth there.
It'll probably drop like a rock

Tratorn

They wanted to throw a bone to early adopters, since they got the console 1-3 months later than most of the world. Giving early adopters to weeks to early adopt looks enough for me.

It'd be interesting what happens when it's not bundled anymore, maybe it has good word of mouth there.
It'll probably drop like a rock

Yep, I know. I'm just confused, because some hours ago they still mentioned a new shipment for both SKUs on the 2nd March. Now it seems they won't get them.

And well, I still think they should bundle something with the console now, since the demand wasn't that high (still good, but not more than that) even with a game bundled for free.

Knack isn't something that everyone in Japan wants of course but it's still something to play with the new console, which obviously doesn't have hundreds of games at the moment.

Mpl90

PS4 situation on Amazon, @ 09:20 GMT / 18:20 JPT

PS4 Limited pack - 6th (sold by a third party with a mark up; only 1 left in stock)

PS4 + Camera Limited pack - 23rd (1 left in stock)

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - 26th

Yakuza Ishin - 34th (PS3 SKU is 8th)

Battlefield 4 - 42nd (back in stock on March 7th)

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 46th

FIFA 14 - 69th

Dynasty Warriors 7 with Xtreme Legends - 80th

Killzone: Shadow Fall - 89th (sold by third party; 3 left in stock)

Wondering when Amazon will switch from the First Limited pack to the Normal pack.

noobie

Banned
do we have estimate of how large was the second shipment? i dont believe it to be large (>100k) because i thnk sony knows that the real battle ground is in the west not east.. So they much be sending max possible console to west not diverting them to east..

Mr Swine

Banned
I hope PS4 keeps on selling well but I would love if the Wii U could do the same :/ whatever happened to Smokeydave? Why did he get banned for?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I hope PS4 keeps on selling well but I would love if the Wii U could do the same :/ whatever happened to Smokeydave? Why did he get banned for?

A fairly harmless putdown of a games fairly well known crap graphics. I guess the thread was intended to be more high-brow/protected than many others so in comes the ban. Hope its a short one. Probably didn't help that I saw the usual suspects calling for his head over it too because every thread has to have a political slant, which I've fallen of foul of in here myself. Gets pretty lame and turns GAF into too much of a colosseum.

Although maybe its best Smoky doesn't see March's MC threads since thats when Vita probably wont continue its YOY increase since it was that time last year the GREAT REVIVAL began :D

Top Bottom