• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

RalchAC

How much did the original SS sell? Just north of 300K right?

Seems really optimistic to get 200K, but maybe the new owners will get it?

Famitsu top100 2013 list has it at 190.000 units. Still, Vita's userbase is like 2x what it was on March 2013 so I think there is room for some improvement.

L Thammy

Inafune will use Saved on himself

By the way, how does usually "G" version of popular hunting action game performs? I presume they'll be lower than the original release but by how much?

God Eater - 617,828
God Eater Burst (+ best) - 551,662

Kauji Busters - 61,009
Kaijuu Busters Powered - 51,402

Valhalla Knights 2 - 89,004
Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance - 33,271

Phantasy Star Portable 2 (+ best) - 615,848
Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity - 378,328

Monster Hunter - 288,559
Monster Hunter G - 232,239
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 - 1,723,187
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - 4,214,820
Monster Hunter 3 - 1,077,273
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1,924,664

From JapanLTDRank
Valhalla Knights and Phantasy Star aren't in the same genre, but they market themselves similarly.

dont think mh 3 - mh 3u is comparable in there you've got the console release followed by the handheld release of a handheld centric series and even then your missing 220k of mh3u sales from the wiiu.

L Thammy

dont think mh 3 - mh 3u is comparable in there you've got the console release followed by the handheld release of a handheld centric series and even then your missing 220k of mh3u sales from the wiiu.

Wasn't sure whether to add the Wii U sales or not, honestly, since HD version came out later and adds online play. And, yeah, 3G is a different case because of the systems. The original G was also a weird case because it hadn't been ported to handheld until later.

I think that it helps if people look Monster Hunter's sales and see that the imitators don't perform similarly. I seem to recall a fair few comments when Soul Sacrifice came out that didn't understand that, things like "it's performing like Monster Hunter 1, why can't it take off too?"

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PS4 on Comgnet

Last Week

[PS4] Yakuza Ishin! - 111Pt
[PS4] Battlefield 4 - 54Pt
[PS4] Killzone Shadow Fall - 42Pt
[PS4] Dynasty Warriors 7 - 26pt
[PS4] Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag - 21pt
[PS4] Call of Duty Ghosts - 18pt
[PS4] Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - 15pt

This Week

[PS4] Battlefield 4 - 26pt
[PS4] Yakuza Ishin - 23pt
Everything else < 16pt

Searching for other launches Comgnet weekly sales right now for comparisons.

Mpl90

More complete post

What happened with recent launches on Comgnet

3DS

Launch Week

[3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles - 139pt
[3DS] Samurai Warriors Chronicles - 80pt
[3DS] Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition - 67pt
[3DS] Ridge Racer 3D - 39pt
[3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Puddle & New Friends - 36pt

Second Week

[3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles - 90pt
[3DS] Samurai Warriors Chronicles - 40pt
[3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Puddle & New Friends - 36pt
[3DS] Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition - 27pt
[3DS] Ridge Racer 3D - 26pt

Vita

Launch Week

[PSV] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational - 68pt
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 54pt
[PSV] Lord of Apocalypse - 42pt

Second Week

Everything < 80pt

...Yep, not a great indication XD

Wii U

Launch Week

[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U - 138pt
[WIU] Monster Hunter 3G HD Version - 58pt
[WIU] Nintendo Land - 57pt
[WIU] Zombi U - 16pt

Second Week

[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U - 120pt
[WIU] Nintendo Land - 47pt
[WIU] Monster Hunter 3G HD Version - 36pt

...And now

PS4

Launch Week

[PS4] Yakuza Ishin! - 111Pt
[PS4] Battlefield 4 - 54Pt
[PS4] Killzone Shadow Fall - 42Pt
[PS4] Dynasty Warriors 7 - 26pt
[PS4] Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag - 21pt
[PS4] Call of Duty Ghosts - 18pt
[PS4] Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - 15pt

Second Week

[PS4] Battlefield 4 - 26pt
[PS4] Yakuza Ishin - 23pt
Everything else < 16pt

Comgnet Launch Points

HM New Beginning - 173pt
HM New World - 211pt

[3DS] Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Marvelous AQL) - 81.131 <74,23%>

New World didn't sell out ONCE on Amazon or Yodobashi. We are probably looking at a big shipment. Imagine a Harvest Moon game selling 100k first week, wooo.

crinale

While SS is a popular genre in Japan (boss-fighting coop game) and quite fun if you like it, the gloomy theme and setting won't help to push to the major blockbuster. It did get some fans so Delta should do decent numbers, but not as much as original did IMO.

Also, the guy put first day sell through ratio and such said PS4 shipment is super low, so don't expect large numbers (he already deleted the post btw).
He said even below 50K is possible, let alone 100k

Takao

Banned
SS Delta comes with an early access demo for Freedom Wars. Now thats a title with market appeal.

This just made me realize:

Soul Sacrifice - SCE Japan Studio, Comcept, and MarvelousAQL
Freedom Wars - SCE Japan Studio, Shift, and Dimps

Comcept & Dimps = former Capcom people

the world revolves around them

can't wait for platinum to make a present day hunting action game for sce

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Also, the guy put first day sell through ratio and such said PS4 shipment is super low, so don't expect large numbers (he already deleted the post btw).

It depends when he posted it. If it was before he gets the preview for last week it's speculation, if it was after it will be very close to reality.

He's done it before with W101 first week sales.

Mpl90

While SS is a popular genre in Japan (boss-fighting coop game) and quite fun if you like it, the gloomy theme and setting won't help to push to the major blockbuster. It did get some fans so Delta should do decent numbers, but not as much as original did IMO.

Less than 50k? No, I can't accept it. That would be a way too low shipment...why?
Ok that some people here said PS4 could be found, but still, this would be such a low second week shipment that...it's due to shipping more in the West? It means it'll have a Vita-esque drop from first to second week.

However, as said by Chris, it would be better to know when he posted it. Maybe he deleted that past because it wasn't accurate, or because it was...way too accurate, let's say this. Do you remember when he posted it? We should also see when he posted the W101 preview back last year, for an accurate comparison.

P.S. If the shipment was so low, I'm starting seeing the Yodobashi reports under a different light, though

Hmm I wonder why Sony gave Japan such a low shipment for second week? Its not like NA and EU are getting more PS4's its still out of stock everywhere.

Jamix012

Hmm I wonder why Sony gave Japan such a low shipment for second week? Its not NA and EU are getting more PS4's its still out of stock everywhere.

As pessimistic as I am about PS4 in Japan in general, I think it's doing well enough in the west right now that it's selling out it's shipments, and that's why it's not on store shelves...TBH I haven't really been following though, is there any reason to beleive that there aren't plentiful shipments to the west, that are just being sold out?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
As pessimistic as I am about PS4 in Japan in general, I think it's doing well enough in the west right now that it's selling out it's shipments, and that's why it's not on store shelves...TBH I haven't really been following though, is there any reason to beleive that there aren't plentiful shipments to the west, that are just being sold out?

Wii was out for stock for too many months. This didn't mean it wasn't getting continued and big shipments.

L~A

Comgnet Launch Points

HM New Beginning - 173pt
HM New World - 211pt

[3DS] Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Marvelous AQL) - 81.131 <74,23%>

New World didn't sell out ONCE on Amazon or Yodobashi. We are probably looking at a big shipment. Imagine a Harvest Moon game selling 100k first week, wooo.

Looks pretty good, yup. I believe it might only reach 100k for one tracker, probably Famitsu since they track DL cards too. I can't wait for this week numbers :)

hiska-kun

Sorry for not being here this past week. I'm really busy at the moment and I don't have time for almost anything. Fortunately, monday I have free day so I did my report.

PS4 is completely sold out in Bic Camera in Ikebukuro.
ps4bc_zps0aa67ddc.png

In Yamada Denki only the standard pack is available.
ps4yd_zpsa0f5a243.png

Last week releases:

[3DS] Harvest Moon: Linking The New World <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) (¥5.040)
hm0_zps384644a0.png

hm1_zps01201249.png

[3DS] Fossil Fighters: Infinite Gear <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥4.800)
ff_zpsf4a82aba.png

[PSV] [PS3] Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
IS_zps1778f620.png

[PSV] [PS3] Kagero: Darkside Princess # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.090) (¥7.140)
KGR_zps38257210.png

[PSV] Valhalla Knights 3: Gold <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) (¥5.229)
VN3E_zpse826b371.png

[PS3] Sakigake!! Otokojuku - Nihon yo, Kore ga Otoko Dearu! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.480)
NH_zpsf8f1aff8.png

Advertising for Mario Kart 8 starts:
MK8_zps1714005d.png

Shengar

God Eater - 617,828
God Eater Burst (+ best) - 551,662

Kauji Busters - 61,009
Kaijuu Busters Powered - 51,402

Valhalla Knights 2 - 89,004
Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance - 33,271

Phantasy Star Portable 2 (+ best) - 615,848
Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity - 378,328

Monster Hunter - 288,559
Monster Hunter G - 232,239
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 - 1,723,187
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - 4,214,820
Monster Hunter 3 - 1,077,273
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1,924,664

From JapanLTDRank
Valhalla Knights and Phantasy Star aren't in the same genre, but they market themselves similarly.
Thanks for the number! I didn't know that MH game actually did better with their G version, and the numbers is pretty close too for popular hunting action game. I guess 120k for SS Delta is pretty reasonable eh? Also 4 millions for MH4G is pretty conservative estimate either then?
This just made me realize:

Soul Sacrifice - SCE Japan Studio, Comcept, and MarvelousAQL
Freedom Wars - SCE Japan Studio, Shift, and Dimps

Comcept & Dimps = former Capcom people

the world revolves around them

can't wait for platinum to make a present day hunting action game for sce

Hunting action game from Platinum will evolved the genre to a point that no one would be able to achieve
But it'll sold shit like other game from Platinum

Effect

Isn't it a bit early to advertise MK8 in stores?
Have you seen any promotional material for &#8220;Just Dance Wii U&#8221;?

They had better start early. Mario Kart 8 really is the true "do or die" time for the Wii U. Nintendo needs that game to sell Wii U systems and for Wii U owners in general to buy it. The need a massive attach ratio with the game. In order to even make that possible they need to be advertising now and constantly until the game is released.

Here's hoping they start pushing kiosk like this in North America and Europe. Even if it's video on a constant loop that would be helpful. It brings people's attention to a game that sold extremely well and that they've likely played before. It's a huge jump graphically for the franchise which in turn makes it clear the Wii U is a powerful system. Far better then the Wii and at least comparable, if only artistically, to the other newer systems on the market. It's a graphical showcase for the system and a showcase for their online as well I believe. It's the only game really, outside of Bayonetta 2 and X that could be showcased like that and not make the Wii U appear (due to art style and really playing to the system's strengths) underpowered by comparison. They need to push the hell out of it.

hiska-kun

Isn't it a bit early to advertise MK8 in stores?
Have you seen any promotional material for &#8220;Just Dance Wii U&#8221;?

There's nothing for Just Dance yet (only in a Nintendo's brochure).
Usually, Nintendo games adverts starts just a few weeks before the release. So yes, it's a bit early. Not common.
I guess is the only thing Nintendo can do at the moment.

In fact, there were two stands for Mario Kart 8. The other one was in the Wii U section. So, don't be afraid.
mk82_zps259734f3.png

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
They had better start early. Mario Kart 8 really is the true "do or die" time for the Wii U. Nintendo needs that game to sell Wii U systems and for Wii U owners in general to buy it. The need a massive attach ratio with the game. In order to even make that possible they need to be advertising now and constantly until the game is released.

Again? The future of Wii U is written on the wall and nothing can change it.

Effect

Again? The future of Wii U is written on the wall and nothing can change it.

Maybe it really is to late. I'm not dismissing that. However I don't believe I've ever accepted the blackboard image with different titles list as being possible saviors for the Wii U. Mario Kart (after Wii and 7) realistically has always been the only title that could potentially (doesn't mean it will) turn things around for them. Or at the very least improve things significantly so at the very end it does on par with the Cube or better instead of below it. It's the one game series that hits all the right notes for a diverse group of customers I believe. It could be the difference between them riding out the Wii U with new games vs letting it fade away while they completely focus attention and money elsewhere over the next few years.

Jamix012

Wii was out for stock for too many months. This didn't mean it wasn't getting continued and big shipments.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. But there should be at least anecdotal signs that shipments are coming in. Like is there any sign of them coming on and off Amazon often for example?
If so, then all the stock is probably going to the west. I think Sony knows where its priorities lie this generation.

Here's hoping they start pushing kiosk like this in North America and Europe. Even if it's video on a constant loop that would be helpful. It brings people's attention to a game that sold extremely well and that they've likely played before. It's a huge jump graphically for the franchise which in turn makes it clear the Wii U is a powerful system. Far better then the Wii and at least comparable, if only artistically, to the other newer systems on the market. It's a graphical showcase for the system and a showcase for their online as well I believe. It's the only game really, outside of Bayonetta 2 and X that could be showcased like that and not make the Wii U appear (due to art style and really playing to the system's strengths) underpowered by comparison. They need to push the hell out of it.

Lol. When are you guys going to stop this and just accept that the WiiU has failed. MK and Smash didn't stop GC from selling horribly, I have no doubt the same thing will happen with WiiU.

That would be a major collapse.

Not really. Its depends on the sell through number. If it sold 60k and is completely sold out then its clear thats its constrained by supply.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/03/playstation-4-sold-mainly-university-students-japan/

Does this mean anything for the upcoming sales data in a few days? I'm guessing no, right?

I'd like to see it compared to Wii U launch. If demographics are shifting, I don't much care for the average age turnout of a console launched over 7 years ago that was severely supply constrained. I suspect there's a difference in the mobile vs console demographic too that would somewhat invalidate directly comparing to Vita performance.

Opiate

The Wii U is dead dead dead. I am not saying that because I want Nintendo to die and fail, I'm saying that because it's true.

I would even argue that it's in Nintendo fan's favor to accept this: denying failure for as long as possible only delays one's ability to learn from mistakes. If I were a Nintendo fan, I'd want to figure out what went wrong as quickly as completely as possible so that the mistakes weren't made again, rather than pushing off any reflection until as late as possible because I don't want to admit the system has failed.

Top Bottom