• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

sörine

Banned
Lol. When are you guys going to stop this and just accept that the WiiU has failed. MK and Smash didn't stop GC from selling horribly, I have no doubt the same thing will happen with WiiU.
Never say never, Vita failed harder than Wii U ever has year one but look at it now. It's somehow clawed it's way back to "sustainable" and become a viable home for niche 3rd parties and 2nd tier hunting games.

At this point it's about mitigating failure. Wii U won't sell 12 million for sure but maybe it can still do 6-8 million and provide a base for Nintendo to manage multiple million sellers and 3rd parties to target with family games? Or maybe it peters out around 3-4 million and we see Nintendo's biggest games moving only 500-800k max? There's still some leeway here I think.

sörine;103000091 said:
Never say never, Vita failed harder than Wii U ever has year one but look at it now. It's somehow clawed it's way back to "sustainable" and become a viable home for niche 3rd parties and 2nd tier hunting games.

At this point it's about mitigating failure. Wii U won't sell 12 million for sure but maybe it can still do 6-8 million and provide a base for Nintendo to manage multiple million sellers and 3rd parties to target with family games? Or maybe it peters out around 3-4 million and we see Nintendo's biggest games moving only 500-800k max? There's still some leeway here I think.

The vita is sustainable now? Do you just mean in Japan?

Spiegel

sörine;103000091 said:

Vita did that thanks to third parties. It went from low-ish third party support in terms of number of games released to pretty good third party support thanks to multiplatform games

WiiU can't do that. It's at zero third party support. Any possible first party success is not going to change that.

6-8M is not happening and I would even say that 4M is not happening.

Prelude.

sörine;103000091 said:
Isn't Monter Hunter on 3DS now?

Jamix012

Vita did that thanks to third parties. It went from acceptable third party support in terms of number of games released to pretty good third party support thanks to multiplatform games

WiiU can't do that. It's at zero third party support. Any possible first party success is not going to change that.

While I'm not of the mind that Wii U will recover I really despise the argument that "third parties got Vita/PS3 to X number, and because there are no third parties on Nintendo platforms they can't do the same." Because it completely ignores the fact that Nintendo first party titles have more selling power than every other publisher out there (in JP.) I'm curious how Wii U first party vs Vita 3rd party sales match up.
The Wii U is done, yes, but not having the third parties that the Vita had is not the reason it's done.

sörine;103000091 said:

I'm sorry but its dead. Vita managed to claw its way from dead to niche due to third parties. What third party support does Wii U have huh?

WiiU has 0 chance to sell 6-8 million. I mean are you actually serious with that figure?

WiiU will get to 5 million if its lucky. Nintendo will have million sellers through bundling. I can only see Smash/ MK reaching 1 million without any bundling a la NSMBU.

Because it completely ignores the fact that Nintendo first party titles have more selling power than every other publisher out there (in JP.)

Not on WiiU lol. Oh and how long is the wait between these Nintendo titles?

lack of third parties = low interest + sparse release schedule = low sales

Spiegel

While I'm not of the mind that Wii U will recover I really despise the argument that "third parties got Vita/PS3 to X number, and because there are no third parties on Nintendo platforms they can't do the same." Because it completely ignores the fact that Nintendo first party titles have more selling power than every other publisher out there (in JP.) I'm curious how Wii U first party vs Vita 3rd party sales match up.
The Wii U is done, yes, but not having the third parties that the Vita had is not the reason it's done.

It is the big reason.

You can't sell a system with one game released every two or three months.

Jamix012

It is the big reason.

You can't sell a system with one game released every two or three months.

I disagree.
As a gross simplification I don't believe it to be better to have 5 games selling 10,000 in one month, than to have 1 game in a month selling 50,000.

Not on WiiU lol. Oh and how long is the wait between these Nintendo titles?

lack of third parties = low interest + sparse release schedule = low sales

Again, I'm not arguing that the Wii U has a shot at life. We've discussed my outlook on the console and it's pretty inline with the general expectations of the console. Here's a question: Do you beleive if you substituted Vita's entire 3rd party library for Wii U's 1st party library, that it'd be doing worse? I think it'd be pretty close right now, but as soon as the Vita got Smash and MK, it'd leave this dimension's Vita in the dust.

Are you suggesting that Nintendo first party titles have more selling power than all 3rd party published games combined? Because that's what strong 3rd party support is. [not that I think Vita has that mind you]

Spiegel

I disagree.
As a gross simplification I don't believe it to be better to have 5 games selling 10,000 in one month, than to have 1 game in a month selling 50,000.

It's better to have 5 games from third parties meeting expectations or having success, this brings more support from these third parties and probably more support from other third parties. This creates a healthy ecosystem and brings more hardware sales

When you have zero third party support, zero games met expectations, zero new third parties help you to pad the release schedule and your ecosystem is dead. This kills hardware sales.

Darius

Banned
Vitas support is mediocre at best, its software sales makes this quite obvious to everyone (eg. this week no game in the Famitsu Top 30 charts, top selling game ltd at 300k) etc,. We are looking at a system that mostly just gets ports, anime licensed software and visual novels. I wouldn´t call this by any means good support no matter how much you lowered your expectations.

Jamix012

Are you suggesting that Nintendo first party titles have more selling power than all 3rd party published games combined? Because that's what strong 3rd party support is. [not that I think Vita has that mind you]

No, not at all, not even close. Third party is of course extremely important and far more important than Nintendo itself, but I'm arguing that Vita's 3rd party and PS3's intitial 3rd party offerings were far less effective than Nintendo's 1st party offerings over a similar timeframe. The Wii U, in my opinion, is largely failing to the extent it is because of a bunch of other factors including initial price, confusing controller, minimal power bump and toxic brand. No 3rd parties is certainly a factor, but had the other things been rectified, the Wii U may have been able to follow a PS3-esque route in Japan and do N64 sales worldwide.
In Nintendo's case, 3rd parties wait and see (moreso than they do with other console manufacturers), and as a result it's extremely important for Nintendo to get it right straight away so that some 3rd parties may jump on board. That obviously didn't happen and as a result 3rd parties didn't come.

sörine

Banned
Vita did that thanks to third parties. It went from low-ish third party support in terms of number of games released to pretty good third party support thanks to multiplatform games

You're right to an extent, despite it's even more massive failure 3rd parties did seem to continually extend Vita the benefit if the doubt in a way they just haven't with Wii U. I think part if that is due to their predecessors and the degree of goodwill instilled by PSP versus Wii, but I also think Sony pushed hard behind the scenes to secure content (hunting games in particular) and provide incentives/support for ports. I wouldn't discount Sony's involvement in turning Vita around though, from the price drop to streamlined tools to Japan Studio efforts like Soul Sacrifice.

Now obviously if Nintendo manages any degree of turnaround for Wii U it won't be the same way. It won't be 3rd party driven, Nintendo won't moneyhat second tier JRPGs and incentive 3DS or PS3 ports (although maybe they should?). I think a best case Wii U turnaround looks a lot like N64 did, largely Nintendo driven and with a heavy focus on family and kids software. I don't think that's at all ideal but it's maybe the best they can make of a bad situation like this. Mario 3D World tracked better than most expected and the holiday bundle definitely outperformed what pretty much everyone saw the hardware doing so I feel like there is yet this sort of market that can be tapped into more than we're giving credit for. Maybe Mario Kart helps push things in that direction, maybe it doesn't, but I feel like it's premature to decisively say it's impossible to move the needle at all now.

RalchAC

The vita is sustainable now? Do you just mean in Japan?

This thread is about Japan, right? :)
____

About the 2nd class hunting games comment. I don't understand why people expect a new IP to be as polished and have the same amount of contents as a franchise that has been running for almost 10 years. Let it grow, for god's sake. Both Toukiden and Soul Sacrifice were really fun games.

Vitas support is mediocre at best, its software sales makes this quite obvious to everyone (eg. this week no game in the Famitsu Top 30 charts, top selling game ltd at 300k) etc,. We are looking at a system that mostly just gets ports, anime licensed software and visual novels. I wouldn´t call this by any means good support no matter how much you lowered your expectations.

That's pretty much what the PSP got through its first years iirc.

The main difference was that one of those ports was called Monster Hunter and it set the world on fire.

And you have to take into account that some of those PS3/Vita multiplatform releases were originally Vita games that got a PS3 version because of Sony's porting tools. I think Akiba's Trip was an example of this. And isn't GE2 already sitting at 400k units?

Not that I'm saying you're wrong.

Jamix012

It's better to have 5 games from third parties meeting expectations or having success, this brings more support from these third parties and probably more support from other third parties. This creates a healthy ecosystem and brings more hardware sales

When you have zero third party support, zero games met expectations, zero new third parties help you to pad the release schedule and your ecosystem is dead. This kills hardware sales.

Still Disagree. If Nintendo 1st party Wii U software sells more units than Vita 3rd party software, it's more effective. I see what you're saying in that 3rd party software selling to expectations increases 3rd party support, but if that 3rd party support is still limited to sub-Nintendo numbers, it's still overall less effective.
Again I ask: do you think the Vita would be doing worse if you swapped the Vita's 3rd party library for Nintendo's Wii U 1st party library? IE a handheld with only Sony's and Nintendo's first party offerings. Launch aligned, just for the sake of a fair comparison too. So in this case the Vita would also have MK8, Hyrule Warriors and probably Smash and maybe X.

I disagree.

Well thats a stupid comparison. Vita had over 100 releases (according to wikipedia's list) in 2013 in Japan. I am sure several third party ones achieved 100k+ and 50k+.

Again, I'm not arguing that the Wii U has a shot at life. We've discussed my outlook on the console and it's pretty inline with the general expectations of the console. Here's a question: Do you beleive if you substituted Vita's entire 3rd party library for Wii U's 1st party library, that it'd be doing worse? I think it'd be pretty close right now, but as soon as the Vita got Smash and MK, it'd leave this dimension's Vita in the dust.

Yes I would say it would be doing worse.

Anyway that is besides the point. We are talking about WiiU.

sörine

Banned
Isn't Monter Hunter on 3DS now?
Yes the genre king jumped ship and Sony was left scrambling for scraps. They made the best of a bad situation and I'd say it's turned okay for them all things considered.

The comment that the Wii U could sell 6 - 8 million Wii U's confused me to be honest. I can't see it getting anywhere near that in Japan considering the lack of 3rd party support
Yeah, that was probably too high on my part. Say 5-6 million instead.

Although worldwide Wii U already nearing 6 million so I'm not sure that interpretation really makes more sense.

WiiU 'value' bundles are still almost 8000 Yen ($70) more expensive than the original Wii launched at.

WiiU has still not had a new Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Smash or more Japanese focused titles like Bayonetta 2, MH4U and X.

WiiU's marketing is still the worst botch job in the history of console marketing.

WiiU will never get near Wii lifetime sales numbers but people calling it dead before it's on par with their last successful consoles price, marketing and games are being extremely short sighted.

Are we allowed to have friendly bets on GAF ?, if so I will bet someone my avatar pic for a year that WiiU will sell more than 20 million units Worldwide before the end of 2016.

It's already sold 6 million in 15 months off the back of a 2D Mario, Pikmin 3, a Zelda remake, a 3D Mario, an incredibly high pricepoint and some of the worst marketing ever...

It's already sold 6 million in 15 months off the back of a 2D Mario, Pikmin 3, a Zelda remake, a 3D Mario, an incredibly high pricepoint and some of the worst marketing ever...

It was also the only new home console for most of that time. Now there is the PS4 and XB1 that it has to compete with. I don't think the future holds much in the way of Wii U sales to be honest. Certainly not WW

Jamix012

Well thats a stupid comparison. Vita had over 100 releases (according to wikipedia's list) in 2013 in Japan. I am sure several third party ones achieved 100k+ and 50k+.

Yes I would say it would be doing worse.

Anyway that is besides the point. We are talking about WiiU.

As stated it was a gross simplification, I'd still probably value having 1 game selling 2 million over 100 games selling 20,000 over the same period. My point is that 1 sale of software = 1 sale of software no matter where it comes from. You could go into an argument that 3rd parties have more diversity and therefore attract more types of people to the hardware and that's true, but not particularly for the Vita, which has most of it's sales fitting into a few genres.

The Wii U is being compared to the Vita so it's incredibly relevent. People are saying that Vita was able to "recover" because of 3rd party support and I'm arguing that Nintendo's 1st party is stronger than the entirity of Vita's 3rd party support and yet there's no recovery for the Wii U, because the Vita is a more desirable device in Japan with it being a handheld and not butchered quite as hard in several other areas that Nintendo goofed up in. As in Wii U's intial problem IMO wasn't and isn't 3rd party support, but a whole bunch of other factors I previously mention.

If you disagree that the Vita would be doing better than I guess we will agree to disagree, because I think that Nintendo+Sony Vita would be flooring current Vita launch aligned by a factor of 2.

Prelude.

sörine;103004420 said:
Yes the genre king jumped ship and Sony was left scrambling for scraps. They made the best of a bad situation and I'd say it's turned okay for them all things considered.
That's not what I was implying.

As stated it was a gross simplification, I'd still probably value having 1 game selling 2 million over 100 games selling 20,000 over the same period. My point is that 1 sale of software = 1 sale of software no matter where it comes from. You could go into an argument that 3rd parties have more diversity and therefore attract more types of people to the hardware and that's true, but not particularly for the Vita, which has most of it's sales fitting into a few genres.

The Wii U is being compared to the Vita so it's incredibly relevent. People are saying that Vita was able to "recover" because of 3rd party support and I'm arguing that Nintendo's 1st party is stronger than the entirity of Vita's 3rd party support and yet there's no recovery for the Wii U, because the Vita is a more desirable device in Japan with it being a handheld and not butchered quite as hard in several other areas that Nintendo goofed up in. As in Wii U's intial problem IMO wasn't and isn't 3rd party support, but a whole bunch of other factors I previously mention.

If you disagree that the Vita would be doing better than I guess we will agree to disagree, because I think that Nintendo+Sony Vita would be flooring current Vita launch aligned by a factor of 2.

Okay lets say WiiU software sales are higher than Vita's and thats entirely due to nintendo's first party.

WiiU will still be selling less and from a player point of view having a wide variety of games is far better than just some from one publisher.

The reason the WiiU won't recover even though it may higher software sales is because its existing to serve one audience: the Nintendo fan. An audience that is severely declining or at least doesn't want to buy a console specifically for those games.

It was also the only new home console for most of that time. Now there is the PS4 and XB1 that it has to compete with. I don't think the future holds much in the way of Wii U sales to be honest. Certainly not WW

I don't think people interested in PS4 and Xbone would have bought / will buy WiiU anyway, Nintendo are going after a completely different consumer with the console as is evident with Reggie's comments about advertising aimed at young children and 'mum'.

MK8 will be a turning point for WiiU sales Worldwide imo if they price cut the console around the time of launch and market the hell out of it. It will then be followed up by the new Zelda reveal at E3 and then a solid second half of the year release schedule including Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Boom, Bayonetta 2, X and Smash.

I keep hearing the same old "MK and Smash never saved the Gamecube" online but 35 million people had not just played MK prior to the launch of Double Dash. MK multiplayer has a lot of good memories for families and if it's marketed right will do extremely well for Nintendo and for WiiU sales. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see Wii Sports 2/U revealed at E3 as the big November game either for the same reasons.

I don't think people interested in PS4 and Xbone would have bought / will buy WiiU anyway, Nintendo are going after a completely different consumer with the console as is evident with Reggie's comments about advertising aimed at young children and 'mum'.

MK8 will be a turning point for WiiU sales Worldwide imo if they price cut the console around the time of launch and market the hell out of it. It will then be followed up by the new Zelda reveal at E3 and then a solid second half of the year release schedule including Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Boom, Bayonetta 2, X and Smash.

I keep hearing the same old "MK and Smash never saved the Gamecube" online but 35 million people had not just played MK prior to the launch of Double Dash. MK multiplayer has a lot of good memories for families and if it's marketed right will do extremely well for Nintendo and for WiiU sales. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see Wii Sports 2/U revealed at E3 as the big November game either for the same reasons.

Yes and 20 million people played Wii Fit. Want to tell me how many bought Wii Fit U? I hope you understand that the 35 million includes a lot of casual gamers that have left Nintendo.

I just can't see 20 million LTD WW for the Wii U. Even with a price cut, smash and MK

It has really good-looking exclusives in the pipeline but honestly imo PS4 sales show that a strong exclusive line up is not the end all of system sellers. I think it really hurts the Wii U that it doesn't have the newest Fifa and COD. I don't see the "other" audience being large enough to get the Wii U up to 20 million lifetime. Not with tablets and mobile being so prevalent nowadays. I could always be wrong though.

I am curious how Smash will perform on the 3DS personally. MK8 will certainly sell some Wii U's just not convinced it will change the trajectory of the Wii U in the rest of the world

Yes and 20 million people played Wii Fit. Want to tell me how many bought Wii Fit U? I hope you understand that the 35 million includes a lot of casual gamers that have left Nintendo.

Wii Fit was more a fitness device than a game though, how many of those 20 million people bought it with good intentions and only used it a few times. Comparing Wii Fit to Mario Kart is silly but you're entitled to your opinion.

I just can't see 20 million LTD WW for the Wii U. Even with a price cut, smash and MK

It has really good-looking exclusives in the pipeline but honestly imo PS4 sales show that a strong exclusive line up is not the end all of system sellers. I think it really hurts the Wii U that it doesn't have the newest Fifa and COD. I don't see the "other" audience being large enough to get the Wii U up to 20 million lifetime. Not with tablets and mobile being so prevalent nowadays. I could always be wrong though.

I am curious how Smash will perform on the 3DS personally. MK8 will certainly sell some Wii U's just not convinced it will change the trajectory of the Wii U in the rest of the world

Fair enough, most people would disagree with it selling 20 million LTD.

Again as I said before I don't think third party support really matters to Nintendo, they are going after kids and families using their own IP as the hook. Price is one of the most important things for that market which is why I have always stopped short of calling the console "dead" until it hits the same price as the original Wii in all three major territories.

There is also nothing to say that WiiU won't get the next Assassin's Creed and CoD although Fifa is unlikely since it wasn't on the system last Fall. It's far more important to have the next Just Dance, Lego, Skylanders and Sonic than those games anyway imo because people who want those sorts of experiences will buy them for PS3, 360, PS4, Xbone or PC.

I don't think Smash will do as well as most people think on 3DS, people who are serious about the series will buy a WiiU to play it properly. They will not want to play it on a low res 4" screen with terrible controls and low battery life. There is also no evidence to suggest it will be released at the same time as the WiiU version. I think it will be released in Spring 2015, 6 months after the WiiU version.

Wii Fit was more a fitness device than a game though, how many of those 20 million people bought it with good intentions and only used it a few times. Comparing Wii Fit to Mario Kart is silly but you're entitled to your opinion.

Fair enough, most people would disagree with it selling 20 million LTD.

Again as I said before I don't think third party support really matters to Nintendo, they are going after kids and families using their own IP as the hook. Price is one of the most important things for that market which is why I have always stopped short of calling the console "dead" until it hits the same price as the original Wii in all three major territories.

There is also nothing to say that WiiU won't get the next Assassin's Creed and CoD although Fifa is unlikely since it wasn't on the system last Fall. It's far more important to have the next Just Dance, Lego, Skylanders and Sonic than those games anyway imo because people who want those sorts of experiences will buy them for PS3, 360, PS4, Xbone or PC.

I don't think Smash will do as well as most people think on 3DS, people who are serious about the series will buy a WiiU to play it properly. They will not want to play it on a low res 4" screen with terrible controls and low battery life. There is also no evidence to suggest it will be released at the same time as the WiiU version. I think it will be released in Spring 2015, 6 months after the WiiU version.

I hope you understand that the 35 million includes a lot of casual gamers that have left Nintendo.

Did you not read this or do you honestly that the majority of those 35 million were Nintendo fans.

Jamix012

Okay lets say WiiU software sales are higher than Vita's and thats entirely due to nintendo's first party.

WiiU will still be selling less and from a player point of view having a wide variety of games is far better than just some from one publisher.

The reason the WiiU won't recover even though it may higher software sales is because its existing to serve one audience: the Nintendo fan. An audience that is severely declining or at least doesn't want to buy a console specifically for those games.

This is a huge generalisation. The Vita library serves one audience too: The Vita fan. While I'd probably argue that the Vita has a more diverse library, again its best selling titles are very specifically in about 3 genres. I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying though. The Wii U, under a different set of circumstances but with a similar library, could do decent numbers. They wouldn't be PS2, Wii, NES or even SNES numbers, but they'd be ok. The problem with the Wii U goes far beyond it's third party support.

None of this solves fundamental problem - there isn't enough releases to make Wii U a main console in household.
And being seen as best second console to own alongside other machine isn't doing anything because multi console ownership is small niche among gamers.

i think its a huge generalization to say vita only sells 3 genres too, its not 2011 anymore. RPG, Hunting and what would you pick as the third? music/rhythm, musou, 2d action, vn, dungeon crawler and sports games have all found some level of relative success on the system. Even an mmo and a tps are in the mix.

Kid Ying

Both the last games from cod were released on the wiiu.

And for Psycho Mantis, according to famitsu, Wiiu actually sold more software in 2013 than vita. That is, until the top 1000 comes and shows a newer picture on that year.

About lifetime sales... I think this year is going to be the best year for the console, but its going to be downhill after that. The lifetime sales will depende on how long nintendo mantains the ship sinking.

RalchAC

And for Psycho Mantis, according to famitsu, Wiiu actually sold more software in 2013 than vita. That is, until the top 1000 comes and shows a newer picture on that year.

About lifetime sales... I think this year is going to be the best year for the console, but its going to be downhill after that. The lifetime sales will depende on how long nintendo mantains the ship sinking.

Well, the WiiU kinda "cheated" when it comes to games sold this year. Remember those NSMBU + Wii Party U bundles they released for the Christmas season. If you take those two games out, the Vita probably outsells the WiiU in the software side by a decent margin.

None of this solves fundamental problem - there isn't enough releases to make Wii U a main console in household.
And being seen as best second console to own alongside other machine isn't doing anything because multi console ownership is small niche among gamers.

Enough releases to a family and kids is completely different to what hardcore enthusiasts like us want. Four or Five big name Nintendo games per year is plenty for them.

Darius

Banned
i think its a huge generalization to say vita only sells 3 genres too, its not 2011 anymore. RPG, Hunting and what would you pick as the third? music/rhythm, musou, 2d action, vn, dungeon crawler and sports games have all found some level of relative success on the system. Even an mmo and a tps are in the mix.

This relativisim especially when it comes to PSV... Its hardware and software sales are weak all the excuses and comparisons with the even worse early 2013 sales are getting old by now, you are talking about a system that will be 3 years on the market by the end of the year and still hasn´t had even a single game that could sell considerably more than 400k units. expectations have been lowered so much that games selling 100k are considered a success by some users, which is really telling of the real picture of the situation, which just isn´t that positive, without any excuses/relativism.

Takao

Banned
Capcom advertising MH4 save data transfer to MH4G.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbwk6m8leTk

Oh and 2015 Year Of Vita. Where else would Capcom release Monster Hunter 5? Revitalution is upon us.

they need to add mhp3rdg to the collection
12900070393_03e01343d3_o.jpg

#ichinosewillreturn

Bruno MB

Well, the WiiU kinda "cheated" when it comes to games sold this year. Remember those NSMBU + Wii Party U bundles they released for the Christmas season. If you take those two games out, the Vita probably outsells the WiiU in the software side by a decent margin.

Even including the bundled software which accounted for nearly a million units, PS Vita sold more software than Wii U in 2013.

2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} software sales

[PSV] Software Sales - 3.547.852 / 5.897.744
[WIU] Software Sales - 2.972.231 / 3.848.203

Kid Ying

Absolutely, but i also dont think its wrong to count those. They werent free after all. People had the option to buy the cheaper and no games option and a lot of people did, só its not like nintendo just gave them for free.

Without them i think the vita would have something like 1 million copies more than the wiiu. In any case, neither ones had spectacular performances.

And Bruno corrected me. I was going by the totals on geimin. And e ver since the release of the top 100, vita passed on it too.

Darius

Banned
Absolutely, but i also dont think its wrong to count those. They werent free after all. People had the option to buy the cheaper and no games option and a lot of people did, só its not like nintendo just gave them for free.

Without them i think the vita would have something like 1 million copies more than the wiiu. In any case, neither ones had spectacular performances.

Yes, you have a point. These bundles were actually more expensive than any previous WiiU SKU.

This relativisim especially when it comes to PSV... Its hardware and software sales are weak all the excuses and comparisons with the even worse early 2013 sales are getting old by now, you are talking about a system that will be 3 years on the market by the end of the year and still hasn´t had even a single game that could sell considerably more than 400k units. expectations have been lowered so much that games selling 100k are considered a success by some users, which is really telling of the real picture of the situation, which just isn´t that positive, without any excuses/relativism.

er yes i specifically said in my post we were talking relative success here so im not sure where this rant comes from. The success or lack thereof is irrelevant to my point tough which was a counter argument towards the notion of only 3 genres sell. If you would argue the point that the sales of the top 3 genres are worth setting aside I would argue that you would have to set aside more than just 3.

as a side point a game can sell much less than100k on any system and still be a success depending on genre/scope/budget etc

Even including the bundled software which accounted for nearly a million units, PS Vita sold more software than Wii U in 2013.

2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} software sales

[PSV] Software Sales - 3.547.852 / 5.897.744
[WIU] Software Sales - 2.972.231 / 3.848.203

??

Oh and subtract like 700-800k from the bundles.

Wii U launched with MH3U in Japan, which ended up being a success according to CAPCOM. Why did you want to mention MH4U specifically?

Why did I want to mention it ?. Probably because as you said 3U was a success so it only makes sense for Capcom do do the same again with MH4U in Spring 2015.

Top Bottom