• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

Trevelyon

Have they been refreshing the supply channel since the 22nd? Seems like they hit the ceiling of what they shipped. Not sure how it's a bomba.

How is it bomba, if you can't find it everywhere?
Let it be in every store first.
Around 60k was expected.

It is simply a terrible 2nd week number for a new console. It does appear to be supply constrained but that doesn't make the number not terrible, it simply gives it context

Jonnyram

It's continuing to sell out in larger retailers, even though the Knack bundle has run out.
I can only assume its supply is barely meeting demand. Resellers are still profiting, that's for sure.
60k seems like a reasonable number when all is said and done.

Jamix012

How is it bomba, if you can't find it everywhere?
Let it be in every store first.
Around 60k was expected.

It's continuing to sell out in larger retailers, even though the Knack bundle has run out.
I can only assume its supply is barely meeting demand. Resellers are still profiting, that's for sure.
60k seems like a reasonable number when all is said and done.

60k is not good unless it's 95% out of stock, in which case it's 100% a supply problem. Even 120k would only be "mildly good" if it was in stock. A 60k week would mean it's now tracking significantly below the Wii U and Vita. 87% out of stock gives 60k some context I suppose, but really, whether it's Sony's fault or a lack of demand, it's a terrible number.

Bundy

Banned
60k is not good unless it's 95% out of stock, in which case it's 100% a supply problem. Even 120k would only be "mildly good" if it was in stock. A 60k week would mean it's now tracking significantly below the Wii U and Vita. 87% out of stock gives 60k some context I suppose, but really, whether it's Sony's fault or a lack of demand, it's a terrible number.
Of course it's a medicore number, but expected.
I'm sure these millions of gamers in japan aren't going on a hunt for the last remaining 50k PS4's in the whole country. Around 60k is exactly what I expected last week, since it's hard to find one in the stores.
Seems like I was right ^_^

Jamix012

I'm sure these millions of gamers in japan aren't going on a hunt for the last remaining 50k PS4's in the whole country. Around 60k is exactly what I expected last week, since it's hard to find one in the stores.

I don't think many people expected it to be a bigger drop than the Vita's...I mean I said it would be but it was still going out on a limb.

TaiKH92

Banned
So 50k-60k in the second week mmmm...I wonder what will be its real lowest low
maybe 5k like the WiiU did in various weeks

RalchAC

60k is not good unless it's 95% out of stock, in which case it's 100% a supply problem. Even 120k would only be "ok." A 60k week would mean it's now tracking significantly below the Wii U and Vita. 87% out of stock gives 60k some context I suppose, but really, whether it's Sony's fault or a lack of demand, it's a terrible number.

Well, I think there is a fairly good chance there is a supply problem. That won't change the other factors we've been talking to death lately, but Sony announced the PS4 was launching in Japan on TGS iirc. Anybody expected sales to be so high, they probably thought by February they'd have met demand already in the West and would have enough stock for Japan. But the current situation is what it is, and even if they didn't wanted to delay the japanese launch, they real fight is not in their homeland, seeing how their direct competition A) isn't released on that market B) doesn't have any flagship title next month (correct me if wrong, not 100% sure about the latter).

March is gonna be really important in the West. They need and want to have as many PS4s as they can this month. We are probably going to see bad "PS4 sales" the next few weeks not only due to the lack of demand, but probably because shipments are going to be small and spare.

So 50k-60k in the second week mmmm...I wonder what will be its real lowest low
maybe 5k like the WiiU did in various weeks

even with a drop like that i dont see it falling to wiiu levels quickly. WiiU had to wait 4 months just to get wario and 5 months for dqx. PS4 gets mgs demo after 1 month and only has to wait 2 for its SE mmo port.

Do we, or will we, have any idea how large the 2nd shipment is? This would help put the numbers in context. For example, if Sony shipped another 100K, meaning ~140K were on the shelves last week, 50~60K would surely be disappointing. Or maybe it was the snow storms.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
even with a drop like that i dont see it falling to wiiu levels quickly. WiiU had to wait 4 months just to get wario and 5 months for dqx. PS4 gets mgs demo after 1 month and only has to wait 2 for its SE mmo port.

Being out of Holidays and with a second week of 50-60k, it's probably going to reach the 10-15k status in one / two weeks. However, MGS bundle will help in lessening the drop's impact for one week, at least. Not expecting a good impact from FFXIV: i.e. it'll sell much better digitally than at retail, like what happened with DQX.

By the way, where's the MGS bundle going to be available? Or is it just a special PS4 SKU? Don't remember perfctly now.

Do we, or will we, have any idea how large the 2nd shipment is? This would help put the numbers in context. For example, if Sony shipped another 100K, meaning ~140K were on the shelves last week, 50~60K would surely be disappointing. Or maybe it was the snow storms.

like chris said earlier in the thread knack sellthrough % is baically ps4 sellthrough since its not available standalone

AniHawk

i thought by mgs demo, you meant a demo for ground zeroes.

sense

i love the use of abysmal, terribad, bomba, mediocre in this thread regarding ps4 second week sales. come on people they sold most of what they shipped considering they are still trying to satisfy global demand. now if we know they shipped an extra 150-200k the second week and it only sold 60k then those words are totally reasonable. people just expect magic like consoles to just show up out of nowhere. so far it looks like there aren't stacks of ps4's sitting on shelves everywhere in japan so there is still some demand that could be satisfied if there were more consoles supplied.

having said all that even if they had good supply my guess is they would have likely only sold around 100k to 120k anyways which would be somewhat decent given the lackluster software lineup.

QaaQer

i love the use of abysmal, terribad, bomba, mediocre in this thread regarding ps4 second week sales.

hyperbole rules sales threads. Vita has been dead for going on 2 years now, wii u 14 months. Oh, and final fantasy xiii is the worst game ever to blight this planet.

i love the use of abysmal, terribad, bomba, mediocre in this thread regarding ps4 second week sales. come on people they sold most of what they shipped considering they are still trying to satisfy global demand. now if we know they shipped an extra 150-200k the second week and it only sold 60k then those words are totally reasonable. people just expect magic like consoles to just show up out of nowhere. so far it looks like there aren't stacks of ps4's sitting on shelves everywhere in japan so there is still some demand that could be satisfied if there were more consoles supplied.

having said all that even if they had good supply my guess is they would have likely only sold around 100k to 120k anyways which would be somewhat decent given the lackluster software lineup.

Your username suits you well

The Vita is dead outside of Japan. That isn't hyperbole. It has been dead for a long time.

The Wii U is basically a zombie system, selling about the same as highly saturated last gen consoles.

Supply constraint I can believe in Western markets. I'm much more inclined to attribute this drop to demand constraint unless there's something to actually suggest limited supply.

370K only just constitutes the estimated launch shipment.

QaaQer

The Vita is dead outside of Japan. That isn't hyperbole. It has been dead for a long time.

The Wii U is basically a zombie system, selling about the same as highly saturated last gen consoles.

Supply constraint I can believe in Western markets. I'm much more inclined to attribute this drop to demand constraint unless there's something to actually suggest limited supply.

It's still on sale and new games are still coming out, so yeah hyperbole.

Bundy

Banned

Yep! It's like people WANT that home consoles bomb in japan.
This PS4 thingy is sold out ~85% in japan.
I hope SONY starts shipping more units >_<

It's still on sale and new games are still coming out, so yeah hyperbole.
I'm sure you can find a PSPGo somewhere on a store shelf too. Maybe even an Apple Newton if you look hard enough.

It's a product that isn't viable in the marketplace. It sells something like 15K, probably less, in the US market in a month. If you want to call that alive, so be it. If you think looking at its current sales, noting that it has very little if any future prospects as a product and calling it "dead" is "hyperbole", more power to you. It's a pointless semantic argument in the face of numerical data.

QaaQer

I'm sure you can find a PSPGo somewhere on a store shelf too. Maybe even an Apple Newton if you look hard enough.

It's a product that isn't viable in the marketplace. It sells something like 15K, probably less, in the US market in a month. If you want to call that alive, so be it. If you think looking at its current sales, noting that it has very little if any future prospects as a product and calling it "dead" is "hyperbole", more power to you. It's a pointless semantic argument in the face of numerical data.

Let me rephrase: It's still on sale and in production and new games are still coming out, so yeah hyperbole.

Once Sony and Nintendo stop making these things and stores stop selling them, that is when they will be dead. Unless the definition of death has been changed recently, that is.

Let me rephrase: It's still on sale and [/b]in production and new games are still coming out, so yeah hyperbole.

Once Sony and Nintendo stop making these things and stores stop selling them, that is when they will be dead.
Firstly, we don't know if its in active production right now.

Secondly, that's a bizarre definition of whether a product is viable, alive, dead, whatever word you want to use. Nintendo was still shipping GameBoy Advance hardware in 2010 and software in 2012. And a company could continue production of an unwanted, unviable product accumulating inventories of this clearly living, thriving product until they had exhausted their assets.

When people refer to a product as dead, they do so because it's not/is no longer selling. And with the exception of Japan, the Vita is not selling.

QaaQer

Firstly, we don't know if its in active production right now.

Secondly, that's a bizarre definition of whether a product is viable, alive, dead, whatever word you want to use. Nintendo was still shipping GameBoy Advance hardware in 2010 and software in 2012.

?

I don't really understand the problem. By any standard dictionary definition of death, the vita/wii-u are not dead. So saying they are is hyperbole.

Mpl90

Yep, 370k coincides with the first week shipment, but we know there's been a supplementary shipment, by looking at reports and Yodobashi's site as well. That's...not a good sign.

And this puts indeed under a different light all the Yodobashi updates we posted, since this means all the stores went out of stock in 3 days of a part of NOT a 370k shipment, not a 150k one, but a quite-less-than-100k one, which is far, faaaar different.

And this puts indeed under a different light all the Yodobashi updates we posted, since this means all the stores went out of stock in 3 days of a part of NOT a 370k shipment, not a 150k one, but a quite-less-than-100k one, which is far, faaaar different.

? did anyone expect the second shipment to be more than 100k let alone 370k? we knew there were 40k+ left after week 1 and we knew there was no games or holidays to drive sales. 100k would be an absolute best case dreamland scenario for a second week shipment.

Yeaaaah, if there was that much of unsold stock and supplementary stock to go with those then 50-60k wouldn't be a good look :\ Not terrible, but perhaps not a bright picture for the coming weeks.

Calling a console dead is the way some people get joy out of another product outselling it by a large margin or because they predicted it would sell poorly. This goes for Vita and WiiU.

Personally I think calling WiiU "dead" after only 15 months and before it's even had a new Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing, Metroid, improved marketing (over some of the worst marketing ever) or a decent price cut is laughable...

Calling a dead console dead is an accurate description of a dead console.
The sky is blue. Water is wet. And Vita holds absolutely no relevance in the US market.

The Wii U is also on the cusp of irrelevance. It contributes less than 5% of US software sales revenue. It's hardware sales are terrible for a system in its second full calendar year. It isn't a viable platform for anyone but Nintendo, and even then, I don't know whether their projects on it will provide a particularly good return.

Nintendo has accepted this. You should too.

Darius

Banned
Calling a console dead is the way some people get joy out of another product outselling it by a large margin or because they predicted it would sell poorly. This goes for Vita and WiiU.

Personally I think calling WiiU "dead" after only 15 months and before it's even had a new Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing, Metroid, improved marketing (over some of the worst marketing ever) or a decent price cut is laughable...

At the very least in Japan it seems that WiiU sold more than PS4 if you align both launches in their first two weeks, if PS4 really sold less than 100k last week in Japan. Let´s see what Famitsu and MediaCreate will report tomorrow.

Hmm looks like someone needs to update this with new titles

2402319-jj7glrxhwpd3h.png

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

I thought pretty much everyone had given up on WiiU at this point, but I guess I was wrong! You'd have to be ignoring absolutely every single aspect of the things sales and third party support to pretend it is anything other than an albatross around Nintendo's neck at this point. Even Iwata and their own PR has started distancing themselves from the system and speaking about what comes next.

Mpl90

PS4 could sell <10k in the next few months and it would still make a comeback.

Let's not try too hard.

Eeeeh, let's not exaggerate here. If it seriously sells less than 10k for too long, there would be bad consequences for the future as well. Like...the impact of the comeback and the amount of support. Or better, when this kind of support will be released. It's not that simple.

It's doing well because of tech enthusiast, once the "oh cool, new tech" thing wears off, it's likely to start selling like shit until FF15 or any other exclusive title of significance is out.

"In Japan, there is a large market for portables like Vita and PSP. Within that, there are a lot of people into hunting games, as well. Capcom has been releasing their titles on Nintendo 3DS, because of that, we thought there are a lot of Sony users who would like to see a hunting game and that’s why we came up with Toukiden," producer Hisashi Koinuma said to Siliconera.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/04/tecmo-koei-made-toukiden-monster-hunter-moved-3ds/

jcm

Sony said 370k sold through until March 2. There isn't if. The blog was right. It depends which tracker Sony uses.

Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 &#8211;3/2/2014. PS4 sales data in North America, Europe and Latin America collected 11/15/2013 &#8211; 3/1/2014, and in Asia collected 11/29/2013 &#8211;3/1/2014.

Shengar

"In Japan, there is a large market for portables like Vita and PSP. Within that, there are a lot of people into hunting games, as well. Capcom has been releasing their titles on Nintendo 3DS, because of that, we thought there are a lot of Sony users who would like to see a hunting game and that’s why we came up with Toukiden," producer Hisashi Koinuma said to Siliconera.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/04/tecmo-koei-made-toukiden-monster-hunter-moved-3ds/

The comment there

"Capcom once copying our Samurai Warriors as Sengoku Basara, now we're doing the same with Monster Hunter. And this time there's no bashing to each other because MH moved to 3DS"

Japanese industry come in full circle lol

Mpl90

Thinking better about it, maybe PS4's horrid second week (as it seems) won't lead into the console being in the 20k-30k territory in the third week, already. The reason? This week, the regular PS4 pack will be out.

On Amazon, it'll be out on 7th, and it's 45th after being available for around 1 day, and here's its trend up at 21 JPT

http://www.rankbank.net/amaran/history/?date=14030421&cat=videogames&asin=B00IR18MEU

While at Yodobashi, it seems it's already out in most stores, with 3-4 still needing to wait till tomorrow

http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/news/1000073465/index.html?kind=0002&store=0011

Status @ 20:50 JPT - available. Of course, since it should have been available for just some hours. Tomorrow, we'll have a better look.

EDIT: PS4 is now 36th on Amazon

Shengar

Thinking better about it, maybe PS4's horrid second week (as it seems) won't lead into the console being in the 20k-30k territory in the third week, already. The reason? This week, the regular PS4 pack will be out.

Do we know if PS4 have supply constraint? Or even the size of the first shipment units?

BlackJace

50k is fucking awful, come on now. That doesn't exactly spell certain doom for the console, but "supply constrained!" isn't something we can determine at this point.

Top Bottom