• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2015 (Feb 16 - Feb 22)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Nintendo has been partnering up fairly heavily to try and get Monster Hunter to grow in the West. I think they think it's a part of their 3DS strategy (local co-op statement from Iwata anyone?).

The fact that MH4U is so far doing quite a bit better than MH3U in the US/EU seems to suggest they'll keep working on that, especially with its huge success so far on 3DS (MH3U, MH4, MH4U).

casiopao

Nintendo has been partnering up fairly heavily to try and get Monster Hunter to grow in the West. I think they think it's a part of their 3DS strategy (local co-op statement from Iwata anyone?).

The fact that MH4U is so far doing quite a bit better than MH3U in the US/EU seems to suggest they'll keep working on that, especially with its huge success so far on 3DS (MH3U, MH4, MH4U).

Yup.^~^ and this time, unlike DQ which after DQ9 flop, MH actually keep growing in sales in International Market so I can see how Ninty would want to hold that exclusivity as strong as possible.

casiopao

Famitsu January 2015 Top 30 Combined

08. [3DS] Final Fantasy Explorers (Square Enix) - 95.512 (89.484 / 6028)
13. [3DS] Legend of Legacy (Furyu) - 61.559 (56.594 / 4965)
18. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo) - 39.418 (38.613 / 805)
19. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu (Nippon Columbia) - 38.599 (37.666 / 933)
20. [3DS] Aikatsu! 365-Hi no Idol Days (Bandai Namco) - 37.679 (37.092 / 587)
21. [3DS] One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X (Bandai Namco) - 36.839 (36.247 / 592)
25. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind - Chain (Spike Chunsoft) - 33.443 (32.158 / 1285)27. [3DS] Kenka Bancho 6: Blood and Soul (Spike Chunsoft) - 32.033 (30.794 / 1239)

Explorer just not dieing lol. Even with mixed reviews, it seems that more and more gamers wanted to try the game.^~^

Legend Legacy is selling albeit slowly. Hope that Furyu can get more cartridge made so they can sell the game moarrr.

Kinopio Taicho had beaten Kirby by quite a number here. I guess Toad is more loved than Kirby here.T~T

Sumikko Gurashi and AoT is just rolling the money lol. Especially AoT seeing how this is just rerelease.

Kenka Banchou. What a tragedy.T_T

I don't understand why people think Monster Hunter in PS4 is an automatic success outside of Japan.
Dragon's Dogma is similar in some respects, and it did worse than Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS.

Oh my lords, is someone actually thinking Vita can live till 2019.

Maybe most of those people believe in the hype!!!!! That PS4 is going to sell all game greatly? I feel MH is much better as portable title though(the amount of grinding is perfect for handheld rather than console)also, if they are making the title on PS4, won't Capcom need to pay for the server money again? If I remember right, don't MH team had argument with Sony regarding that and some trophy problem? I don't think MH team would be please to deal with that problem again.

horuhe

You're misreading that data. The chart I posted is for the January 2015 tracking period between December 22nd and January 25th. For Sumikko, it says the game sold 38k, with 933 copies through the eShop. The rest were sold physically.

The number you posted is from February 15th. It already accounts for the 37.666 physical copies in January chart.

Thanks a lot, Takao. I've got confused because last week BriBri posted a tweet from Sumikko devs that confirmed the game crossing the 100k mark. In Media Create it's not shown and that's why I supposed that those were the Famitsu numbers.

Can Capcom afford to make two Monster Hunter games, one for 3DS and one for the PS4? It's not like they're not milking the series as much as they possibly can. Maybe Sony Japan can help them with the console version, and then maybe the graphics will look like they were made for this century when it comes to that franchise.

Can Capcom afford to make two Monster Hunter games, one for 3DS and one for the PS4? It's not like they're not milking the series as much as they possibly can. Maybe Sony Japan can help them with the console version, and then maybe the graphics will look like they were made for this century when it comes to that franchise.

I desperately need a MH title on a PS format, need better graphics than what WiiU or 3DS offer. Capcom is more than welcome to try anyway necessary.

sörine

Banned
Nintendo's still actively pushing MH in the west (unlike DQ) and Capcom's already throwing other substitutes at PlayStation instead (Dragon's Dogma, Deep Down). I don't think we'll see mainline MH on PS4 anytime soon, and probably never on Vita.

MH4G HD Ver should make a nice 4DS launch game though.

hiska-kun

This week's releases {2015.02.26}
0E22458E-C873-40A7-A9E4-73B9F14953C8_zpstw47jzte.jpg

[PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes: The Darkness Dragon and the Castle of the World Tree <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥8.424)
[PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes: The Darkness Dragon and the Castle of the World Tree <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥7.344)

BC752B48-F2BB-4A25-BB33-F3A63FC2DB21_zpsowfy0skw.jpg

5DED99E3-581E-4433-B40C-77523C6EE165_zps6uzqeffz.jpg

BF580A9F-C1C5-4500-A5A7-69A13BC8AACF_zpsgq5oow5p.jpg

E9F3F03F-C08B-4216-AB13-9E63E326A120_zpsak8p7lzo.jpg

4F787B25-5FEE-41BB-9328-92878BDCD41F_zps098esbxz.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wonder how big the gap will be for DQH PS3 and DQH PS4...

Mario007

sörine;153722633 said:
Nintendo's still actively pushing MH in the west (unlike DQ) and Capcom's already throwing other substitutes at PlayStation instead (Dragon's Dogma, Deep Down). I don't think we'll see mainline MH on PS4 anytime soon, and probably never on Vita.

MH4G HD Ver should make a nice 4DS launch game though.

I doubt many people would care for MH4G again by that time. Also I doubt we'll see a HD screen on the 4DS.

I don't understand why people think Monster Hunter in PS4 is an automatic success outside of Japan.
Dragon's Dogma is similar in some respects, and it did worse than Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS.

Oh my lords, is someone actually thinking Vita can live till 2019.

Indeed. Same for DQ; people kept asking a DQ comeback on Sony platforms since 2006: let's see if DQ Heroes could sell more than the mediocre average the IP could sustain back then.

05./04. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968) - 18.430 / 2.468.439 <80-100%>

2.5m for a third version of game released a few months before...

+

19./19. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 3.781 / 3.124.530 <80-100%>

Over 3m for the first two versions...

=

5.6m for YW2. One of the best selling games of all times in Japan; these are DS-level sales. Also, considering that it is just the second entry of a new IP, that'd be the best-selling game in a new IP since Pokémon. Brain Training 2 stopped at around 5m. This really shows how powerful 3DS still is in sustaining big IPs and creating new ones out of nowhere. Outside Nintendo touch generations, not even Nintendo could have something similar on the DS.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I doubt many people would care for MH4G again by that time. Also I doubt we'll see a HD screen on the 4DS.
Every screen they use on the 4DS will be like HD compared to the 3DS resolution xD

noobie

Banned
90k is my guess. Anyways these coming weeks are going to be interesting for PS4, dat lineup.

I will predict 60k next week for ps4

are people expecting DQ heroes to do over 500k? With these number it will become best selling game on PS4 in the first week..

i surely have no clue about Japanese market. so just a bit surprise that people are expecting such high PS4 hardware sales for the next week.

Atram

are people expecting DQ heroes to do over 500k? With these number it will become best selling game on PS4 in the first week..

i surely have no clue about Japanese market. so just a bit surprise that people are expecting such high PS4 hardware sales for the next week.

over 500k for sure, but not on the PS4.

hiska-kun

Yes, people are expecting a 500k opening for DQH (PS3+PS4)
:)

Kandinsky is the best predictor here on Gaf, if he says PS4 will be over 90k it will become true

no offense xD

comgnet comparison:

DQH PS3 : 361
DQH PS4 : 207
OPPW PS3 : 712

Counting previous bundles and the bundles in the coming week I'm going with a 600k opening (80k from bundles).

With the second week Majora's Mask is probably a million seller worldwide by now.

Zelda: Majora's Mask
USA: 340.000
JAP.: 312.000
E.U.: 220.000

Total: 872.000

Original and other remakes LTD:
Code:
N64	The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask		3.360.000	Dec 06

3DS	The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D		3.350.000	Mar 14
GBC	The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX	2.220.000	Dec 06
WiU	The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD		1.220.000	Mar 14

Famitsu as of January 25th

[PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition [PlayStation Store] {DL} {2014-06-24} - 234,952
[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition [PlayStation Store] {DL} {2014-10-29} - 198,335
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition [PlayStation Store] {DL} {2014-12-25} - 49,479

Total 482,766.

Pretty close, I guess.
But Minecraft PS3 wasn't in the december report, how do you get his january LTD?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hmmm, Chris if i ask u here. Do you think there are any chance for this year 3DS YTD to beat last year YTD? Even though, i feel that the game this year is not as big as last year.

no chance: last year Q4 had the launch of two HW revisions.
even if there will be heavy hitters in the SW side of things, there is no way that the HW can keep the same YtD. It is keepin'n on track with 2014 first part, but will lose in terms of YtD

no chance: last year Q4 had the launch of two HW revisions.
even if there will be heavy hitters in the SW side of things, there is no way that the HW can keep the same YtD. It is keepin'n on track with 2014 first part, but will lose in terms of YtD

It'll likely be down BUT I would not underestimate Nintendo and third parties' line-up that we are still not aware of. For example, I'd expect a YW game with NFC compatibility to sell gangbusters at the end of the year, and sell many New 3DS' (even with a peripheral for old 3DS models around). Note that Nintendo has also plans for amiibo cards (to be coupled with a Pokémon game?) and probably an only-amiibo game (to launch in Summer with NFC-peripheral?).

Not saying the decline will be reversed, but just saying that the usual early year talk about a sever dropoff in 3DS YTD it's becoming redundant, when eventually Nintendo releases software & hardware to compensate. Last year almost everyone was predicting a +50% decline because hardware revision and YW boom was not something they could easily expect.

Darius

Banned
05./04. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968) - 18.430 / 2.468.439 <80-100%>

2.5m for a third version of game released a few months before...

+

19./19. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 3.781 / 3.124.530 <80-100%>

Over 3m for the first two versions...

=

5.6m for YW2. One of the best selling games of all times in Japan; these are DS-level sales. Also, considering that it is just the second entry of a new IP, that'd be the best-selling game in a new IP since Pokémon. Brain Training 2 stopped at around 5m. This really shows how powerful 3DS still is in sustaining big IPs and creating new ones out of nowhere. Outside Nintendo touch generations, not even Nintendo could have something similar on the DS.

Seeing how Level5 was the only publisher besides Nintendo that were actually able to create new million-seller IPs (more than a one hit wonder) for the Japanese market in the past and current gen, with Capcom also beeing able to push their existing IP into new heights. Really shows how lackluster the performance of other Japanese 3rd publishers have been in the past few years on dedicated videogame systems in Japan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It'll likely be down BUT I would not underestimate Nintendo and third parties' line-up that we are still not aware of. For example, I'd expect a YW game with NFC compatibility to sell gangbusters at the end of the year, and sell many New 3DS' (even with a peripheral for old 3DS models around). Note that Nintendo has also plans for amiibo cards (to be coupled with a Pokémon game?) and probably an only-amiibo game (to launch in Summer with NFC-peripheral?).

Not saying the decline will be reversed, but just saying that the usual early year talk about a sever dropoff in 3DS YTD it's becoming redundant, when eventually Nintendo releases software & hardware to compensate. Last year almost everyone was predicting a +50% decline because hardware revision and YW boom was not something they could easily expect.

I'd add that e decline could also be pretty normal, imho, for a 5 (is that right?) years old hardware that already sold 18 (is that right?) millions of pieces in Japan.
I think that the strategies you anticipated would not be able to sustain the HW a lot, simply because there are many IPs on the 3DS already, especially the biggest ones, and in the actual gaming dedicated landscape, probably the 3DS is simply near to saturation.

I'd add that e decline could also be pretty normal, imho, for a 5 (is that right?) years old hardware that already sold 18 (is that right?) millions of pieces in Japan.
I think that the strategies you anticipated would not be able to sustain the HW a lot, simply because there are many IPs on the 3DS already, especially the biggest ones, and in the actual gaming dedicated landscape, probably the 3DS is simply near to saturation.

Of course, a decline is pretty normal in the 5th year, especially considering how well 3DS sold during the first 3 years. The mistake, though, is to firmly believe that there will be no other software driving hw sales; there was the same discussion last year ("3DS already got all the most important IPs in 2013!") and then YW came out. I'm not saying this will 100% happen in 2015, but I think we should give more reliability to Nintendo since these unexpected games and ideas come out pretty often on its handhelds.

And look, I'm not even talking about 5m sellers; unexpected hits were also Luigi's Mansion 2 (1m in Japan) and SSB (2.4m), which both sold way above everyone's expectations (and the former drove also hw sales).

L~A

Concidering how much Microsoft payed for Minecraft, i'm unsure if they will be restrictive when it comes to platform choices.

I'm talking about a possible Mario edition of Minecraft. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo won't let Microsoft get anywhere close their precious IP.

sörine

Banned
Vita isn't HD either, that didn't stop it from getting HD Remasters though. Often running subnative even (MGS, GOW).

And 4DS might be sooner than we think. December in Japan wouldn't surprise me terribly.

Top Bottom