• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2012 (Feb 27 - Mar 04)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
jim%2Bcarrey.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
My mind still can't graps that we're witnessing a Dreamcast/Gamecube type of sales performance in a modern Media Create thread.

Speaking of which, I'd be interested in seeing an updated GC/DC/PSV sales chart. If the Vita were to continue on it's current trend of dropping about 75% of the amount it dropped the previous week (ie. 4,000 -> 3,000 -> 2,250 -> 1,500 etc) then it will hit below 7,000 units in a week before Persona 4 is released.

Not much has changed since last week. But if Road's not going to do it, I will :)

First 26 weeks
q6Rnf.png

First 52 weeks
JQKkp.png

So it's still on track to be worse than Gamecube, better than Dreamcast.

A price drop would probably erase any threat of being overtaken by Dreamcast.

verplant

New releases

{2012.03.15}

[3DS] If I Were in a Sealed Room With a Girl, I'd Probably XXX <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥6.090)

[PSV] FIFA Football <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥5.980)
[PSV] Slotter Mania V: Black Lagoon <TBL> (Dorart) (¥5.250)

[PSP] Shining Blade <RPG> (Sega) (¥6.279)
[PSP] Winning Post 7 2012 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥5.040)
[PSP] Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.480)
[PSP] Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable [Limited Box] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥11.990)
[PSP] Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side Premium - 3rd Story # <SLG> (Konami) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side Premium - 3rd Story [Limited Edition] <SLG> (Konami) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Amnesia Later # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Amnesia Later [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Amnesia: Twin Pack <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥9.240)

[PS3] Mass Effect 3 <RPG> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)
[PS3] SSX <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)
[PS3] Winning Post 7 2012 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.560)
[PS3] Meikyuu Touro Legasista <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors Online: Ryuujin Ranbu # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors Online: Ryuujin Ranbu [Treasure Box] <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥14.800)
[PS3] Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition - Twin Pack <ADV> (Capcom) (¥5.490)
[PS3] Sengoku Basara 3: Utage - Double Pack <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.990)

[360] Mass Effect 3 <RPG> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)
[360] SSX <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)

{2012.03.17}

[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G [Beginner's Hunter Pack Flare Red] <ACT> (Capcom) (¥19.800)
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G [Beginner's Hunter Pack Cosmo Black] <ACT> (Capcom) (¥19.800)

[NDS] Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition <SLG> (Pokemon Co.) (¥5.800)

Thanks for posting!

Ravage

ouch...so the biggest 1st party is already out for Vita...

All of those other games can be done on 3DS... hopefully not all the devs go for the safe money route

If The FF Type series ever goes 3DS-exclusive i'll probably give up handheld JRPGs for good. That is one game that needs all the power it can get.

mclem

It's really not statistical noise anymore when the platform has been dropping circa10% of its previous week's sales with each new weekly sales tracking without ever gaining some, it's a trend.

I think you're misunderstanding me. Or I'm misunderstanding you. One of the two. I think we're actually in agreement.

I was saying that the difference between this week's drop and last week's drop is practically the same, so the tens of units that makes up that difference is statistical noise. The drops themselves are indeed a trend; I was just pointing down that the variance in the rate of change of drop simply noise.

In other words, it's approximately dropping linearly - with no sign of any levelling off.

mclem

Isn't the term "moneyhat" pretty insufficient though for describing business deals of this nature? I'm sure some games are outright bought and sold in terms of funding for exclusivity, but isn't it often times publishing deals, help with marketing, etc.? Honest question as I'd like to know what moneyhats usually entail.

The obvious 'moneyhat' for MH is pushing it in the West. That's still a bit of a holy grail for the series. It *appears* that Capcom were satisfied with Nintendo's help for MH Tri on Wii - am I misremebering, or is it the best-selling console MH in the west?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
This might be a stupid questions, but why are all the Musou/Warriors games lumped together? Aren't they made by different companies (Dynasty/Samurai by Koei-Tecmo, One Piece by Namco-Bandai) and are pretty much totally different games?

Luigiv

This might be a stupid questions, but why are all the Musou/Warriors games lumped together? Aren't they made by different companies (Dynasty/Samurai by Koei-Tecmo, One Piece by Namco-Bandai) and are pretty much totally different games?

It's called One Piece Musou for a reason.

Also are you aware of the concept of publishers and developers as different entities as well as the concepts of IP ownership and licencing?

Musou games are Musou games, OP sold because of the power of OP franchise, not game mechanics (which people say is pretty bad for a Musou game).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

No and no.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
It's called One Piece Musou for a reason.

Also are you aware of the concept of publishers and developers as different entities as well as the concepts of IP ownership and licencing?

And that reason is? I am not familiar with Musou games. As far as I know it might not have been any different than both Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil shoving "Revelations" on them, just some generic title.

And no need to get salty. I was just asking a question.

edit: oh, i see, it was developed by Tecmo Koei.

Luigiv

And that reason is? I am not familiar with Musou games. As far as I know it might not have been any different than both Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil shoving "Revelations" on them, just some generic title.

And no need to get salty. I was just asking a question.

I've given you all the clues, figure it out yourself, you'll feel less stupid that way.

Edit: Oh, looks like you already have. See that wasn't hard to figure out.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
pieatorium said:
seems they do pretty small numbers especially in handheld.
Japan is like bizarro land for Fifa.
Back when it wasn't very good it sold well - but the better it was doing in the west (and the better the game got) the worse Japanese sales get.

Funny thing is that EA even tried to build a Japan-specific version of Fifa at some point (with a dedicated Japanese studio for it and all) and that did nothing for its popularity there either.

No, it ultimately rests on Square Enix, the copyright owners. Horii makes all decisions DQ because of the relationship he has with SE and SE wants him at the realm of all things DQ.
Have you ever actually looked at the copyrights on Dragon Quest games? I'm not convinced this is really so cut and dry...

01./00. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.03.01} (¥8.190) - 655.774 / NEW
Wow. I knew that it would do well ,but I didn't expect such big numbers. Good for Namco.

02./00. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2012.03.01} (¥4.800) - 43.155 / NEW
Good start. The original wii and DS game did better ,but it outsold all the sequels.

03./02. [3DS] Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) {2012.02.23} (¥5.040) - 27.378 / 108.509 (-66%)
Best second week for a portable HM game according to the numbers posted here. I wonder why it's suddenly outselling the older games?

05./15. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090) - 21.540 / 99.532 (+100%)
And Square finally shipped more. About time. I wonder how many sales they might have lost with shipping too few copies.

13./13. [3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.01.26} (¥5.990) - 7.444 / 251.560 (-39%)
It's still in the top 20? I'm honestly surprised. Good news.

| PS3 | 65.116 | 27.111 | 25.918 | 308.385 | 267.169 | 7.944.770 |
| PSV | 10.023 | 11.186 | | 160.035 | | 600.021 |
That One piece bundle shoots PS3 close to 3DS heaven while 3 month old Vita joins a bunch of near death consoles.
It's almost strange to see one Sony platform rise and another fail miserably.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I think you're misunderstanding me. Or I'm misunderstanding you. One of the two. I think we're actually in agreement.

I was saying that the difference between this week's drop and last week's drop is practically the same, so the tens of units that makes up that difference is statistical noise. The drops themselves are indeed a trend; I was just pointing down that the variance in the rate of change of drop simply noise.

In other words, it's approximately dropping linearly - with no sign of any levelling off.

Oh, you're absolutely right I've actually misunderstood you and we're in agreement.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A lot of potential bombas there.

Girls RPGS comes out next week correct? Is there any hype or excitement for it or do people mostly not know/not care?

It's already out.
About the hype...eeerr... I don't think too much, but who knows for games like this, designed for a certain audience, not "core".

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Project Mirai should easily top 100k copies. Just the first print of LE was about 50k.

Not anymore 50k. It seems they increased that number due to preorders. In fact, the preorders of the limited edition saw some rises due to its increase.

Not anymore 50k. It seems they increased that number due to preorders. In fact, the preorders of the limited edition saw some rises due to its increase.

That's why I said "first print". I would have wanted to say that we know the LE was initially set at 50k copies.

[PS2] Jissen Pachislot Secrets! Fist of the North Star (Sammy) - 340 542 / 962 768 / 35,37% 27/05/04
Yeah, that's the big dog. Here's a Garaph search sorting best-to-worst all games with "Pachi" in the title. The top 20 are all PS2 games of at least 100K.
Rolf NB said:
How does the DW Gundam series fit into this? Garaph sadly seems to be missing a lot of data on DWG2/3. But it has 313k LTD for the first one.
They're in there, but there's some pretty inconsistent naming, with things currently split between "Dynasty Warriors Gundam", "Dynasty Warriors: Gundam", and "Gundam Musou".

PS2
DWG Special: 148K / 277K
DWG2: 92K / 238K

PS3
DWG: 171K / 313K
DWG2: 162K / 328K
DWG3: 190K / 349K

Bruno MB

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2012 (Feb 27 - Mar 04)

Now that I realize, PlayStation 2 was released on March 4th 2000. 12 years later the mighty Sony beast is still charting in the Media Create charts.

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  PS2  |      1.377 |      1.269 |      1.750 |      9.504 |     16.898 |  21.783.611 |

Congratulations!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, what do you guys think would be a GOOD first week for MGS3: SE 3D?
Not talking about your expectations, but numbers that would actually make you say "good numbers!'

I think anything above 50k would be definitely positive, I'm probably one of the few who thinks the game could pull 55k first week and a 100k+ LTD.

Edit:
The game comes out today iirc, could we get some ballpark numbers for first day sales tomorrow?
Also, has Konami marketed the game at all on tv (what about the HD edition) and do you gather the budget of the project was similar than that of PW HD? Another thing is that I don't know how the cost of a bluray stacks up to a 4GB N3DS cartridge, but I'd think the latter would be definitely more expensive.

Bruno MB

Not talking about your expectations, but numbers that would actually make you say "good numbers!'

I don't know if this is a good reference.

[PS3] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition - 38,378 / 62,980
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid HD Edition - 58,864 / 72,398

Maybe 50k?

Wirh the fact konami have done everthing they can to sabotage the game i'd say 50k would be good, i doubt it'll open with half that though

I don't know if this is a good reference.

[PS3] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition - 38,378 / 62,980
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid HD Edition - 58,864 / 72,398

Maybe 50k?
And this:
[GCN] Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Konami) - 35 952 / 71 592 / 50,22% 11/03/04

Top Bottom