• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2013 (Feb 25 - Mar 03)

So asuming that SS is selling realy well i have a question for you GAFers.

how much would SS have to sell for you to considder it a ( great) success ?

Also if sales are very high what does that mean for VITA short and long term ?

Imo, it'll be a success per se if it reaches 200-220k units. That's the range for such a fairly promoted game as Soul Sacrifice is. But I think its role is more to attract new gamers, so it'll succeed if it gives some long-lasting boost in sales.

ZoddGutts

What's Alfa System doing right now? Is the Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology series done? Would've thought they would be doing a Tales game for Vita.

So asuming that SS is selling realy well i have a question for you GAFers.

how much would SS have to sell for you to considder it a ( great) success ?

Given that it's a new IP for a platform with a tiny userbase, I'd say that 150K or so would be pretty successful, 200K would be very successful, 250K would be remarkably successful, and 300K or higher would be absurdly successful.

Given the push Sony is giving it, I think it has a pretty good shot at hitting at least 200K.

Also if sales are very high what does that mean for VITA short and long term ?

Impossible to say without seeing what impact it has on hardware sales. Could be very successful without selling that much beyond the existing Vita userbase.

Is it a real free to play or another pay to win? I didn't try the game yet.

All the paid features are merely for extra conveniences (more inventory slots, more client orders, etc) or are purely cosmetic (scratch cards for costumes/accessories). Nothing you pay for affects the state of your character or equipment in any way that affects game balance.

duckroll already mentioned the content of the special package; it comes with a code you redeem in-game to get some premium time and mostly cosmetic stuff. It does come with weapons, which are above-average for beginner tier weapons but nowhere near the most powerful equipment in the game.

Check out the -three- informational threads on the game if you want more info:

Phantasy Star Online 2 Vita Import |OT| Save This World With Your Own Hands, For Free
Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT| YOUR MAJESTY
Phantasy Star Online 2 - current state of the JP version (changes/content updates)

Nekki

A sensible first shipment for Soul Sacrifice would be 200k (if Sony isn't having crazy expectations) and I can see a ST of 80%, which would give us a first week of 160k. I don't think that'd be considered bad.

A sensible first shipment for Soul Sacrifice would be 200k (if Sony isn't having crazy expectations) and I can see a ST of 80%, which would give us a first week of 160k. I don't think that'd be considered bad.

Not bad? 160k would be just above Project Diva f, setting a record for highest Vita debut week to date. For a new IP on the platform, that'd be downright amazing.

Exactly. With 160k opening, it would be amazing for a new IP especially when that new IP is on Vita. Whether it can "save Vita" is a completely separate issue.

Also considering Tales of Innocence did worse than Tales of the Abyss, if Hearts does worse than Innocence it would make little sense at all to continue to remake these games especially when they did a much fuller remake (no matter how ugly the results are) on Hearts. Maybe they should start remaking some of the older games for PS3? What I'm truly interested in is whether or not the next mainline game is going to be for PS4, PS3, PS3/PS4, or some other combination involving Vita or Wii U.

IMO The next Tales game is either going to be Tempest(please no), Symphonia 3DS/Wii U, a new game for the 3DS/PS3/Wii U(I'm not expecting another PS3 Tales though). There will probably be spinoffs announced for the 3DS and Vita as well.

Why would you expect that? Portable Tales was a bit of a failure outside of Radiant Mythology and Wii Tales was a pretty substantial failure barely matching the 360 version's sales. What makes you think they'd have faith in better results on the Wii U in its current state?

A Symphonia remake on Wii U makes loads of sense IMO, the game is the highest selling Tales ever WW right? Strictly due to the western sales? Did it not do 1 million in NA in the long run? I"m likely wrong though.

Either way, it's the highest in NA, Nintendo really pushed it and it showed. A Wii U remake would attract the fanbase, it could really pay off if done right.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Why would you expect that? Portable Tales was a bit of a failure outside of Radiant Mythology and Wii Tales was a pretty substantial failure barely matching the 360 version's sales. What makes you think they'd have faith in better results on the Wii U in its current state?

I could see something Symphonia for Wii U, especially if Nintendo sweetens the pot and helps with a Western release. Of course, Namco hasnt really announced or released much for Wii U so maybe that is unlikely.

If they were going to do a Symphonia remake it makes no sense not to have a PS3 version as well considering the GC version only sold so much due to the western sales and as we've seen in the last few years the JRPG fanbase is not nearly as solid in the west anymore.

Edit: Assuming no Nintendo moneyhats of course.

Nekki

Not bad? 160k would be just above Project Diva f, setting a record for highest Vita debut week to date. For a new IP on the platform, that'd be downright amazing.

My wording wasn't too good.. Yes, I meant that'd be a great result in a somewhat realistic situation.

VAPitts

Now I'm totally sure no game will ever reach Animal Crossing: New Leaf in this generation. And yes, not even Pokémon X / Y.

Code:
----------------------------------------------
|    |   [B]AC: Wild World[/B]  |   [B]AC: New Leaf[/B]    | 
|    | [NDS] (2005/11/23)| [3DS] (2012/11/08)|
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  
|  1 |  335.425|  335.425|  721.786|  721.786|
|  2 |  142.869|  478.294|  315.317|1.037.103|  
|  3 |  116.965|  595.259|  237.823|1.274.926|  
|  4 |  192.571|  787.830|  118.898|1.393.824| 
|  5 |  381.927|1.169.757|  115.556|1.509.380|  
|  6 |  169.795|1.339.552|  213.329|1.722.709|  
|  7 |  152.339|1.491.891|  400.320|2.123.029|  
|  8 |   64.242|1.556.133|  163.948|2.286.977|  
|  9 |   89.892|1.646.025|  135.971|2.422.948| 
| 10 |   93.443|1.739.468|   86.926|2.509.874|  
| 11 |   69.401|1.808.869|   97.808|2.607.682|  
| 12 |   55.169|1.864.038|   83.226|2.690.908|  
| 13 |   53.594|1.917.632|   76.039|2.766.947| 
| 14 |   57.383|1.975.015|   90.652|2.857.599|  
| 15 |   88.709|2.063.724|   76.747|2.934.346|  
| 16 |   93.508|2.157.232|   77.709|3.012.055|   
| 17 |   88.292|2.245.524|   76.075|3.088.130|   
| 18 |  101.839|2.347.363|         |         |  
| 19 |   95.034|2.442.397|         |         |  
| 20 |   68.889|2.511.286|         |         |   
| 21 |   49.596|2.560.882|         |         |   
| 22 |   40.608|2.601.490|         |         |  
| 23 |        -|        -|         |         |  
| 24 |        -|2.713.688|         |         |  
| 25 |   30.887|2.744.575|         |         |  
| 26 |   31.802|2.776.377|         |         |  
| 27 |   36.245|2.812.622|         |         |  
| 28 |   30.319|2.842.941|         |         |   
| 29 |   29.343|2.872.284|         |         |  
| 30 |   29.525|2.901.809|         |         |  
| 31 |   24.808|2.926.617|         |         |   
| 32 |   23.200|2.949.817|         |         |  
| 33 |   20.480|2.970.297|         |         |   
| 34 |   17.968|2.988.265|         |         |   
| 35 |   25.361|3.013.626|         |         |   
| 36 |   21.083|3.034.709|         |         |   
| 37 |   21.501|3.056.210|         |         |  
| 38 |        -|        -|         |         | 
| 39 |        -|3.115.414|         |         |   
| 40 |   21.492|3.136.906|         |         |  
| 41 |   22.565|3.159.471|         |         |  
| 42 |   18.772|3.178.243|         |         |   
| 43 |   20.634|3.198.877|         |         |   
| 44 |   20.447|3.219.324|         |         |   
| 45 |   19.713|3.239.037|         |         |  
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |
|  1 |1.169.757|1.169.757|2.286.977|2.286.997|
|  2 |2.485.264|3.665.021|  801.153|3.088.130|
|  3 |  858.501|4.513.522|        -|        -|  
|  4 |  338.531|4.852.053|        -|        -|  
|  5 |  258.996|5.111.049|        -|        -| 
|  6 |   46.432|5.157.481|        -|        -|
|  7 |   37.181|5.194.662|        -|        -|        
| LTD|        -|5.194.662|        -|3.088.130|      
----------------------------------------------

does Famitsu add online sales?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I could see something Symphonia for Wii U, especially if Nintendo sweetens the pot and helps with a Western release. Of course, Namco hasnt really announced or released much for Wii U so maybe that is unlikely.

Were I to guess at a third party JRPG on Wii U in the near to medium term, that would pretty much be my first guess.

Sandfox

In terms of the protable Tales, they are obviously easier to make and just because they don't match up to the console games it doesn't mean they aren't going to at least give it a try. I also think a 3D tales on the 3DS would do better than previous games if its actually good lol. In terms of console games, I personally think it would make sense to release a Tales game on the new console rather than yet another on the PS3 and then they can just port the game to the PS4 if they want like they tend to do with Tales games.

If they were going to do a Symphonia remake it makes no sense not to have a PS3 version as well considering the GC version only sold so much due to the western sales and as we've seen in the last few years the JRPG fanbase is not nearly as solid in the west anymore.

Edit: Assuming no Nintendo moneyhats of course.

If they do announce a Symphonia port I'm mainly expecting it to go to the 3DS but PS3 is possible as well.

Namco and Nintendo seem to be decently close so its not exactly impossible given there's some incentive.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Namco and Nintendo seem to be decently close so its not exactly impossible given there's some incentive.

You would think, but right now Namco is pretty empty on Wii U.

Road

Who isn't?

Capcom
- port of MH3G
- port or Revalaitons

Square Enix
- port of DQX

Bandai Namco
- port of TT2

Koei Tecmo
- port of Ninja Gaiden 3
- port delayed release of Hokuto Musou 2

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I still think Final Fantasy 13-3 could show up.
I don't know, they haven't bothered releasing Hitman or Tomb Raider on the platform, Mudered and Thief were just announced and not on the platform, and they have made zero indications for FFXIII-3 or FFXIV.

Their next FF is also announcing at Sony's E3.

The only rumor of support we have from them is Deus Ex 3 by Straight Right outside of Dragon Quest X.

BlackJace

I don't know, they haven't bothered releasing Hitman or Tomb Raider on the platform, Thief was just announced and not on the platform, and they have made zero indications for FFXIII-3 or FFXIV.

The only rumor of support we have from them is Deus Ex 3 by Straight Right.
Well, there is that leaked MiiVerse picture from a while back. "Final Fantasy 3" might mean FFXIII-3, which is basically Lightning Returns.

DGRE

Banned
They're helping with Smash Bros and brought Tekken over along with releasing TTT so while its not much they aren't exactly ignoring the console.
Yeah I wonder if Nintendo was able to leverage the fact that they handed over one of their largest franchises to Namco. It would've been stupid not to.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, there is that leaked MiiVerse picture from a while back. "Final Fantasy 3" might mean FFXIII-3, which is basically Lightning Returns.
Why wouldn't they have announced it at the preview event they had a few weeks ago though?

I mean they could be hiding it indefinitely for mystery reasons, but it seems improbable.

test_account

XP-39C²
Shame we haven't seen a single Japanese 3rd-party exclusive not published by Nintendo. :'(

Nintendo, what are you doing?!
There has actually been one japanese WiiU 3rd party exclusive game. I dont remember the full title right now, but it is something like Simple 2500 Familiy Party. It was released 1 or 2 weeks after the WiiU launch.

Celestial

Banned
I don't know, they haven't bothered releasing Hitman or Tomb Raider on the platform, Mudered and Thief were just announced and not on the platform, and they have made zero indications for FFXIII-3 or FFXIV.

Their next FF is also announcing at Sony's E3.

The only rumor of support we have from them is Deus Ex 3 by Straight Right outside of Dragon Quest X.

Are we sure about that?I mean we know that it will be coming at least to Playstation but Hashimoto was really generic about the whole thing.He only said ''we are preparing for the development of a Final Fantasy.Please be excited for E3.'' and that's it.He could as well show up at Microoft's conferance and announce the game as multiplatform.

Sandfox

Are we sure about that?I mean we know that it will be coming at least to Playstation but Hashimoto was really generic about the whole thing.He only said ''we are preparing for the development of a Final Fantasy.Please be excited for E3.'' and that's it.He could as well show up at Microoft's conferance and announce the game as multiplatform.

I'm expecting it to just be Versus lol.

BlackJace

Why wouldn't they have announced it at the preview event they had a few weeks ago though?

I mean they could be hiding it indefinitely for mystery reasons, but it seems improbable.

That's true. Hell, everything surrounding the Wii U is a bit of a mystery at this point, so that may be the case.

Thorgal

Baba did say that the tales series would stop with the console hopping and stay with playstation since in japan that is where the fanbase is located

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/baba-there-are-no-plans-for-tales-on-the-wii-u

Because the main market for the Tales franchise is in Japan and those fans expect the franchise to stay on PlayStation formats, the titles are only being released on those specific platforms. This doesn’t mean Tales on the Wii U won’t happen, but it probably means that if it does, it will follow its predecessors and see a PS port (Most likely in Japan only). The last mothership Tales game to release on a Nintendo platform was Graces in 2009. Graces saw an enhanced PS3 port in 2010 called Graces f and came with 15+ hours of bonus content

so i think tales for wii u is not gonna happen for now.

I am still hoping it turns out to be an Iwata wanted to do it for a Wii U 3rd Party Nintendo Direct blowout type of thing so everything thing else gets announced except Wii U ports for Iwata to drop his bombs /dream

Is getting Lightning Returns a plus or a minus.
Lightning-Returns-Final-Fantasy-XIII-24.jpg
I'm expecting it to just be Versus lol.
Rebranded FFXV; cross-generational title.
They're still beating Konami in Wii U support.

Thorgal

3DS has more Sony audience than Vita right now or, at least, many PSP owners probably shifted to that platform.

could be but they still made toi and Hearts for vita despite it selling like crap

Graces f , xillia 1and 2 for console and above games for Vita shows they are focused on sony systems.

If after hearts they make another game for VITA we can conclude that they stay sony exclusive in regards to tales.

Sandfox

could be but they still made toi and Hearts for vita despite it selling like crap

Graces f , xillia 1and 2 for console and above games for Vita shows they are focused on sony systems.

If after hearts they make another game for VITA we can conclude that they stay sony exclusive in regards to tales.

They aren't going to remake DS games for the 3DS and the DS games are all its looking like the Vita is getting. I expect all Tales games to eventually end up on Sony consoles but that doesn't mean that its going to be the original/only platform for the games.

That also could of meant VC Final Fantasy 3 as well.

I'd rather get FF3 tbqh.

Question regarding Tales though, is this more a case of diminishing returns and people not caring for a remake of a game in this series or that the Vita is not a viable platform for it? If SK can sell 100k plus then surely an original Tales game or original RPG could do well also.

DaBoss

Question regarding Tales though, is this more a case of diminishing returns and people not caring for a remake of a game in this series or that the Vita is not a viable platform for it? If SK can sell 100k plus then surely an original Tales game or original RPG could do well also.

That depends on the userbase. Just because Senran Kagura sold well doesn't mean a game from another genre without many similar themes will sell well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Speaking of Square Enix, back in Week 50 (December 2012), we had a discussion about how Square Enix only had two announced 3DS games: Dragon Quest VII and Gyrozetter.

It's now about a month since Dragon Quest VII released and we're down to Gyrozetter.

Since I mentioned I would wait to bring the topic back for discussion until around now to give them a chance to announce more games, I felt I should follow through and bring it back up since they haven't.

I'm not sure how Tales of 3DS having a larger potential audience Tales of Vita comes into play in a discussion about Tales of Wii U. Tales of PS3 is probably the most lucrative destination for the franchise right now.

Mario007

Speaking of Square Enix, back in Week 50 (December 2012), we had a discussion about how Square Enix only had two announced 3DS games: Dragon Quest VII and Gyrozetter.

It's now about a month since Dragon Quest VII released and we're down to Gyrozetter.

Since I mentioned I would wait to bring the topic back for discussion until around now to give them a chance to announce more games, I felt I should follow through and bring it back up since they haven't.
Judging by their recent comments they're either focusing on console games or full fledged games from iOS/Android this year. I doubt we'll see much support for the 3DS or Vita from SE this year. Although I could see Tabata making a Vita game. Kinda of 'test the waters' game for Square to see whether or not to bother with the platform. I see this only because of Tabata's comments about the Vita. I would say 3DS will at the very least get a BD sequel in the coming years and a DQ11.

Celine

More in general what's the last SE (Japan) game announced that wasn't a facebook/ios venture?

Top Bottom