• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2013 (Feb 25 - Mar 03)

Sandfox

Damn, it was announced Summer of 2011! Never thought SSB U/3DS would have such a long development. Carpal Tunnel is a bitch

They hadn't even started the game when it was announced so it really hasn't been that long.

Pretty weak excuse really. At this point he needs to get someone else to do the balance testing. It's not like the games are even remotely balanced anyway.

This style of game requires a lot of balancing because if you add a new character or tweak moves you will have to tweak most if not all of the cast as well to keep the game balanced.

DaBoss

They hadn't even started the game when it was announced so it really hasn't been that long.

They started before they announced in the Dec 2011(?) Nintendo Direct that Namco is working on SSB4, so it's probably been more than 1.5 years.

If Nintendo really is in panic mode, we'll seen Mario Kart, Wii Sports, 3D Mario, WW, and Retro's game or Betrayalnetta. I think the first four are pretty likely either way, although MK or Mario might get moved to 2014 for the sake of filling gaps.

Sandfox

They started before they announced in the Dec 2011(?) Nintendo Direct that Namco is working on SSB4, so it's probably been more than 1.5 years.

The Namco partnership was announced in June 2012 and Sakurai was working on Kid Icarus up until early 2012 as well.

donny2112

I don't see anything strange about the numbers.

In the Famitsu Top 30, 4 3DS and 1 Wii U game went up slightly without a clear reason (Layton vs. AA has a reason), and none of them were Animal Crossing. When you watch the numbers for a while, you start to recognize that that tends to happen around holidays and school breaks mostly. Random week during the school semester? That raises a question to see if there's another reason besides "chaos."

(Some?) High schools had graduation last week.

That'd explain it. PS3 COD:BlOps II also went up, so looks like that was probably a graduation gift, too. Thanks!

L Thammy

Where's the Xbox 360 on this chart? Is it that grey line at the bottom?

This is a little late, but is this supposed to be a request? Just an out-of-place joke?
I'll add the 360 if there's interest (and if I can actually find the numbers.)

DaBoss

The Namco partnership was announced in June 2012 and Sakurai was working on Kid Icarus up until early 2012 as well.

Yea you're right, I don't know why I thought it was Dec 2011 (that was the first Nintendo Direct right?)

But I do remember Sakurai commenting on the fact they had been working on it before the announcement for a while.

Your assumption for "average" would still be flawed especially for GT.

GT3 -> GT4 -> GT5: 1,437,581 -> 1,066,749 -> 595,881

While the average of last 3 GT games are at 1 mil, GT6 is more likely to sell closer to 500K than 1 million unless there is a sudden surge of demand for the franchise.

What? You cannot predict a trend from one result lol. Given GT's long release dates and I would think it would be sensible to for at least two to justify your decline.

GT5 looks very much an anomaly just like MK Wii statistically speaking.

The reason is some franchises sell differently depending on the userbase. I thought this was obvious. Wii boosted the sales of all Mario games while the PS3 caused many of Sony franchises to decline.

Your prediction that GT6 will sell closer to 500k is assuming that the PS4 will be closer to PS3 than PS2 in software sales. We have no idea right now.

extralite

Nintendo are working on a fix for error code 105-3102 that's plaguing systems in Japan. The cause of this error has something to do with programs within Wii U. Nintendo will be distributing a patch sometime this weekend.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2013/0307.html

The exact cause of the error has been stated on the linked page as well. It occurs on Wii Us where users have bought monthly tickets for DQX using Wii points.

A 3DS + CPP costs less than a Vita. Besides, with the way MH3G sold there may even be a comparable userbase between the CCP and Vita overall.

And the point is GE2 isn't leveraging anything specific to Vita. It's just a cheap PSP port, which sort of goes against your base argument. The game is just as well suited to 3DS due to that.

If CPP userbase is a concern, what's the Vita 3G userbase look like?

"A 3DS + CPP costs less than a Vita"
- That doesn't help when selling to existing users who don't own a CPP.

"Besides, with the way MH3G sold there may even be a comparable userbase between the CCP and Vita overall"
- any stats on this? I have no idea how well the CCP sold. Didn't lots of people by MH and not the CCP as well? regardless, even if it was the same numbers it would just put it on even ground with a 3ds version that works on CCP or without or a vita / psp version. The psp / vita version wins because they can make a graphically superior version to the 3DS + CCP model and then the psp version to match the 3DS without CCP version. Are there more psp's than 3DS's in Japan (I don't actually know but I would assume yes?). Maybe thats a big factor. There current GE fans all should have psp's already.

"And the point is GE2 isn't leveraging anything specific to Vita"
- it uses the built in second stick and has a graphical boost. So it does.

"The game is just as well suited to 3DS due to that"
- Again its not just as suited. It would work, sure, but thats not the same thing.

"If CPP userbase is a concern, what's the Vita 3G userbase look like?"
- whats this got to do with anything? Vita can be tethered to a 3g phone anyway. Im guessing a much higher % of the user base have a vita and a smart phone that can tether data than 3DS with CCP. Regardless the comparison is pointless.

Look it doesn't actually matter if you or me think its more suited or just as suited to one system or another. If they feel there game is better suited on Vita then thats a good thing they made the game on that system. Just the same as anyone who made there game on 3DS or even IOS because they felt there game suits that system the most. Its partly subject anyway so us arguing wont prove anything either way.

Just comments from people like "should have put it on 'insert more popular system' to get more sales" goes against the popular opinion of people on GAF that Devs shouldn't ruin franchises to simple get the utter most profit possible if it compromises the vision of the system.

BriBri

Is there any information whether Sony are making any money on either model since Feb 28 or whether they are selling at a loss?

"A 3DS + CPP costs less than a Vita"
- That doesn't help when selling to existing users who don't own a CPP.
$20 is a tiny investment. And I'd wager a good chunk of the 1.8m+ MH3G players own a CPP already anyway. Again, userbase arguments certainly won't help you when you're pushing for Vita ports, so it's a bit hypocritical to jump on the CPP for that anyway.

"Besides, with the way MH3G sold there may even be a comparable userbase between the CCP and Vita overall"
- any stats on this? I have no idea how well the CCP sold. Didn't lots of people by MH and not the CCP as well? regardless, even if it was the same numbers it would just put it on even ground with a 3ds version that works on CCP or without or a vita / psp version. The psp / vita version wins because they can make a graphically superior version to the 3DS + CCP model and then the psp version to match the 3DS without CCP version. Are there more psp's than 3DS's in Japan (I don't actually know but I would assume yes?). Maybe thats a big factor. There current GE fans all should have psp's already.
PSP software sales have been down across the board since 2010, but I'm not begrudging something like GE2 still being on it. Unlike Vita, PSP at least has the userbase still to justify this sort of release.

"And the point is GE2 isn't leveraging anything specific to Vita"
- it uses the built in second stick and has a graphical boost. So it does.
3DS has an optional 2nd stick/triggers, built in touchscreen and can also provide a graphical boost (3D). Upping the resultion and moving camera look from dpad to left analog isn't leveraging anything specific on the design level, GE2 is still a 100% PSP game.

"The game is just as well suited to 3DS due to that"
- Again its not just as suited. It would work, sure, but thats not the same thing.
3DS is better suited than Vita in fact, due purely to marketplace. Technically it's also just as capable of running a PSP port like GE2 (with platform specific enhancements) so that's a total nonissue.

"If CPP userbase is a concern, what's the Vita 3G userbase look like?"
- whats this got to do with anything? Vita can be tethered to a 3g phone anyway. Im guessing a much higher % of the user base have a vita and a smart phone that can tether data than 3DS with CCP. Regardless the comparison is pointless.
I'm not abdicating a 3DS PSO2, I already said the system likely couldn't pull it off and handhelds in general are illsuited to such a game. The comparison you should be making is to consoles with a persistent internet connection, as that's obviously where PSO2 should be ported.

Look it doesn't actually matter if you or me think its more suited or just as suited to one system or another. If they feel there game is better suited on Vita then thats a good thing they made the game on that system. Just the same as anyone who made there game on 3DS or even IOS because they felt there game suits that system the most. Its partly subject anyway so us arguing wont prove anything either way.

Just comments from people like "should have put it on 'insert more popular system' to get more sales" goes against the popular opinion of people on GAF that Devs shouldn't ruin franchises to simple get the utter most profit possible if it compromises the vision of the system.
Again, how would it "ruin" or "compromise the vision" of a PSP game to get ported to 3DS? My problem isn't with your argument in general (devs choosing platforms based on technical capability), but in this specific case it's unmitigated bullshit. There's literally nothing PSP can do that 3DS can't and often better. That's what at issue. It'd be the same for LBXW, Toukiden, or any other PSP port.

Also, decrying those debating market forces in a sales thread seems a bit off the mark. I think you should probably take that argument to a "better suited" thread.

When you use the words compromise your vision, normally the system the game was built for isn't weaker and offers the same kind of inputs. Namco aren't some creative geniuses who are going against the grain making a big Vita game. Their main SKU is the PSP version and it will sell the most. I'm not sure if should be a 3DS game mainly because of the PSP version though because they would also be splitting the userbase of their main version while a quick Vita port allows them to keep their PSP base happy.

What? You cannot predict a trend from one result lol. Given GT's long release dates and I would think it would be sensible to for at least two to justify your decline.

The reason is some franchises sell differently depending on the userbase. I thought this was obvious. Wii boosted the sales of all Mario games while the PS3 caused many of Sony franchises to decline.

Your prediction that GT6 will sell closer to 500k is assuming that the PS4 will be closer to PS3 than PS2 in software sales. We have no idea right now.

What one result are you referring to? The piece of text you quoted had 3 games listed so that is more than one result. The GT series has been declining in Japan for a long time and by a rather large amount. I'm not saying it can't sell 1 million next gen but you have posted nothing to support the idea that it can turn things around.

This also isn't completely dependent on userbase size either. The huge size of the PS2 didn't stop the series from seeing a huge decline.

This style of game requires a lot of balancing because if you add a new character or tweak moves you will have to tweak most if not all of the cast as well to keep the game balanced.

Except the game isn't even remotely balanced. I don't understand why Sakurai needs to do the balance testing himself.

3DS is better suited than Vita in fact, due purely to marketplace. Technically it's also just as capable of running a PSP port like GE2 (with platform specific enhancements) so that's a total nonissue.

Oh since you seem to know a lot could you give us some background on costs of porting PSP game to PSV versus porting it to 3DS and maybe two words on business conditions offered by Sony and Nintendo in such cases ?

That would surely help us poor uninformed forum members understand why every game should be released on 3DS...

SmokyDave

$20 is a tiny investment. And I'd wager a good chunk of the 1.8m+ MH3G players own a CPP already anyway. Again, userbase arguments certainly won't help you when you're pushing for Vita ports, so it's a bit hypocritical to jump on the CPP for that anyway.

PSP software sales have been down across the board since 2010, but I'm not begrudging something like GE2 still being on it. Unlike Vita, PSP at least has the userbase still to justify this sort of release.

3DS has an optional 2nd stick/triggers, built in touchscreen and can also provide a graphical boost (3D). Upping the resultion and moving camera look from dpad to left analog isn't leveraging anything specific on the design level, GE2 is still a 100% PSP game.

I'm not abdicating a 3DS PSO2, I already said the system likely couldn't pull it off and handhelds in general are illsuited to such a game. The comparison you should be making is to consoles with a persistent internet connection, as that's obviously where PSO2 should be ported.

Again, how would it "ruin" or "compromise the vision" of a PSP game to get ported to 3DS? My problem isn't with your argument in general (devs choosing platforms based on technical capability), but in this specific case it's unmitigated bullshit. There's literally nothing PSP can do that 3DS can't and often better. That's what at issue. It'd be the same for LBXW, Toukiden, or any other PSP port.
Is this the longest, most elaborate port beg ever?

Also, decrying those debating market forces in a sales thread seems a bit off the mark. I think you should probably take that argument to a "better suited" thread.
'Market forces' don't seem to have all that much bearing on which devices third parties choose to support, as evidenced by the Wii.

You seem to think that the 3DS should garner 100% of all third party support due to 'market forces' but that isn't realistic at all. There will always be incentives to work on the devices in 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc..

serplux

You seem to think that the 3DS should garner 100% of all third party support due to 'market forces' but that isn't realistic at all. There will always be incentives to work on the devices in 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc..

Tell that to third parties about the Wii U, lol.

Oh since you seem to know a lot could you give us some background on costs of porting PSP game to PSV versus porting it to 3DS and maybe two words on business conditions offered by Sony and Nintendo in such cases ?

That would surely help us poor uninformed forum members understand why every game should be released on 3DS...
If you think I'm arguing every game should be released on 3DS then you are indeed uninformed.

Is this the longest, most elaborate port beg ever?
It really isn't. This might be the most succinct troll I've seen out of you in while though. I admire a man who really hones his craft.

'Market forces' don't seem to have all that much bearing on which devices third parties choose to support, as evidenced by the Wii.
Well, say what you will about Wii's 3rd party support, but at least it managed to get a Monster Hunter.

You seem to have precious little insight into what I actually think, but let's try to steer this trainwreck back on topic: God Eater 2. And yes, "incentives" are probably the reason it's PSP/Vita rather than PSP/3DS or PSP/3DS/Vita.

saichi

There is decline from GT3 to GT4 then GT4 to GT5. How is that from one result?

The worst selling 3D Mario is Mario Sunshine at 789,989 on Gamecube which sold worse than PS3. The worst selling main GT is GT5 at 595,881 which is the last main title. How does that support your argument about usebase?

You are the one who used assumption of average of past titles, which included titles that over 10 years ago, to judge a franchise's current strength. How is that more logical than my assumption above?

Even with an userbase closer to PS2, there is no guarantee GT would return to past glory. Layton this week is a good example of that. In addition, one can argue there is less interest about driving sim game in Japan now.

Why exactly is PS4 considered to be doomed in market ?

It's natural place for majority of 3rd party support to go (together with Durango).

The only way that could have changed would have been a breakout Wii U sales success and huge userbase advantage before late PS4 release in 2014 but PS4 is releasing earlier than expected and Wii U is on Gamecube sales trajectory.

BriBri

It's natural place for majority of 3rd party support to go (together with Durango).

The only way that could have changed would have been a breakout Wii U sales success and huge userbase advantage before late PS4 release in 2014 but PS4 is releasing earlier than expected and Wii U is on Gamecube sales trajectory.
I wouldn't even say it's a given Durango will release in Japan, let alone get any kind of majority of 3rd party support.

Mondriaan

As bad as EX Troopers sold on 3DS, it sold even worse on PS3 and would likely have done even worse still on Vita. I'm not sure what this has to do with God Eater 2 though?
EX Troopers had Capcom as a dev/publisher and MH DNA all over it (fitting, given how loosely this thread has been throwing around the MH clone term). Why should it have done badly? It was clearly a game that was designed foremost for a portable. Why should the PS3 version have done better, given that it was one of those cheap port jobs?

A sequel to EX Troopers on the Vita would pretty much be guaranteed to do better than the first EX Troopers, though, since EX Troopers was apparently a solid game.

It really isn't. This might be the most succinct troll I've seen out of you in while though. I admire a man who really hones his craft.

He's right though.

Well, say what you will about Wii's 3rd party support, but at least it managed to get a Monster Hunter.

Much like MH on 3DS and DQX on WiiU, or FFX on Vita, incentives can do wonderful things.

Because:

1) 3DS, Vita, WiiU all struggled in the beginning, with the latter two still struggling
2) The best selling 3rd party JP franchises are, for the time being, Nintendo exclusive (MH and DQ)
3) It'll probably be expensive
4) PS3 took a long time to get going in Japan
5) Console market has declined in Japan
6) The major franchises geared towards JP that are rumored/announced on PS4, FF and GT, are in decline
7) PS3 will probably be Y19,990 and WiiU will probably be Y24,990 this Fall

Mael

Seeing how much of the publishers and dev houses failed in the last 5 years, I'd say some were killed because they went against the market and it ate them whole.
They went upmarket and died, they didn't have to but they did.

Well when you have a base that is starved for games you can have some pretty good results (see N64, Wii, PSP, Vita and soon WiiU).
But they have to be willing to buy games which wasn't much the case for PSP for example (and why the support there ended up anemic and why people should really want piracy to never take off there or that WILL kill any support)

e:Wait this is the media create thread?

He's right though.

Much like MH on 3DS and DQX on WiiU, or FFX on Vita, incentives can do wonderful things.

Because:

1) 3DS, Vita, WiiU all struggled in the beginning, with the latter two still struggling
2) The best selling 3rd party JP franchises are, for the time being, Nintendo exclusive (MH and DQ)
6) The major franchises geared towards JP that are rumored/announced on PS4, FF and GT, are in decline

1. That would seem to point to issues with those systems, not the market at whole.

2. Which would matter if you dependent only on a franchise or two. It doesn't matter if places 1 and 2 are on someone else if places 3-10 are on your platform.

3. We can't say that for sure, lots of talk of 399 and such. Sony did price the vita well under what inital projections called for after all.

4. So? the ps1 and ps2 didn't.

5. partially due to an overly long console cycle.

6. Again, which woudl matter if they only had one or two franchises.

7. Which would matter if people were the type to be so finicky about what they are buying. If your interested in a console 1, you don't suddenly buy console 2 because it's cheaper.

Seeing how much of the publishers and dev houses failed in the last 5 years, I'd say some were killed because they went against the market and it ate them whole.

Well when you have a base that is starved for games you can have some pretty good results (see N64, Wii, PSP, Vita and soon WiiU).
But they have to be willing to buy games which wasn't much the case for PSP for example (and why the support there ended up anemic and why people should really want piracy to never take off there or that WILL kill any support)

e:Wait this is the media create thread?

PSP 3rd party support was pretty kick ass imo :/

Celestial

Banned

We dont know if it will be.People are thinking that since PS3 didnt do so well in Japan PS4 will follow.It's the same people that were predicting that PS3 will do great in Japan thanks to PS2 also.....

The truth lies somewhere in the middle though.

Because:

Ad1. 3DS and Wii U were badly overpriced and lacked software, Vita lacked software releases since market was taken by earlier 3DS and high entry price didn't help - none of this applies to PS4.
Ad2. Essentially Nintendo handheld exclusive since DQ X and MH Wii U are hardly among the biggest on home consoles. So far chances for next numbered DQ entry on home consoles are rather minimal.
Ad3. It will be cheaper than PS3 was
Ad4. Because it was rediculusly expensive, nightmare to develop on it and Microsoft were buying timed exclusives left and right - none of those factors will apply to PS4 as MS essentially given up on Japan.
Ad5. There's still 9 milions PS3 + 11 milions of Wii in there.
Ad6. They are in the same decline as DQ is on 3DS compared to DS - PS3 userbase was not big enough to repeat numbers from PS2 era.
Ad7. So they will be similarly priced to PS2/Wii compared to PS4 which will be cheaper than PS4.

I have yet to see Dev/publisher who killed themselves from reasons other than rediculus budget decisions, MMO wow killer holy grail chase or rediculus development times.

EX Troopers had Capcom as a dev/publisher and MH DNA all over it (fitting, given how loosely this thread has been throwing around the MH clone term). Why should it have done badly? It was clearly a game that was designed foremost for a portable. Why should the PS3 version have done better, given that it was one of those cheap port jobs?

A sequel to EX Troopers on the Vita would pretty much be guaranteed to do better than the first EX Troopers, though, since EX Troopers was apparently a solid game.
Guaranteed? You mean just like Musou, Ridge Racer, Street Fighter, Metal Gear and virtually every other 3rd party franchise was guaranteed to do better on Vita?

Another interesting tidbit, on 8-4 play they heavily implied that EXT started out as a Vita project that was shifted to 3DS due to market conditions.

He's right though.
He isn't. Discussing platform appropriateness =/= port begging. And frankly it isn't all that difficult to discern the difference.

No doubt, pretty much every big game is likely incentivised these days. Some would still come to their platforms anyway though, I'm not sure if that case could be persuasively made for GE2 Vita.

He isn't. Discussing platform appropriateness =/= port begging. And frankly it isn't all that difficult to discern the difference.

There is a very thin line between the two and you are right on it.

No doubt, pretty much every big game is likely incentivised these days. Some would still come to their platforms anyway though, I'm not sure if that case could be persuasively made for GE2 Vita.

Not sure, but there's no case that could have been made for DQX on WiiU or MH on 3DS outside of money. GE is not a franchise I think about when I think HUGE, but yeah it definitely was moneyhatted to go on vita, but if I had to guess I would say cheaper than monsters like DQ or MH.

There is a very thin line between the two and you are right on it.
You're seeing what you want. I'm not even personally interested in the game.

Tell me, do you think GE2 would make more sense being ported to Vita or 3DS? PSO2 to Vita or PS3?

Not sure, but there's no case that could have been made for DQX on WiiU or MH on 3DS outside of money. GE is not a franchise I think about when I think HUGE, but yeah it definitely was moneyhatted to go on vita, but if I had to guess I would say cheaper than monsters like DQ or MH.
The case for MH3G/4 on 3DS is self evident: Nintendo's the clear market leader. If DS could've run it, MonHun would've made sense on it as well. Capcom's even said their intent to move predated any offers from Nintendo.

DQX Wii U I think is more a circumstantial move. It was decided on for Wii a LONG time ago, and Wii U likely made sense since it would've upheld any previous exclusivity arrangement. Even in that case I think a port elsewhere might be worth it down the line though, especially if SE wants to bring it west (PC, other consoles, smartphones, etc).

P90

ioKahghXk5G7m.gif

It had to be done.

Excellent work! SK girls revive the Vita.

test_account

XP-39C²
Tell me, do you think GE2 would make more sense being ported to Vita or 3DS? PSO2 to Vita or PS3?
About God Eater 2, i see it as a 50/50 thing, meaning that it makes equally sense where it was ported. The benefit the 3DS has is the larger userbase, and maybe having Monster Hunter as well on that system. For Vita, i see the advantage of being able to offer cross-play between the PSP and Vita (i remember discussions about why it is important not to split the userbase regarding games in the hunting genre). Maybe it is quicker and easier to port it to the Vita because of the more powerful hardware as well (less optimizing might be needed for the game to run good).

For PSO2, i see Vita as a better choice because the PS3 would kinda be like a 2nd "PC". At least i dont see any benefits having it on PS3 when it already excist on PC (i assume that most people owning a PS3 also have a PC, but of course it is also the factor that people might prefer to play on consoles instead of on a PC). Having it on the Vita, it offers portable play, also at almost any location as well if you have the Vita 3G model.

Coxy

wow, PSO2, a game that's also available free, outselling Shining Ark
hopefully sega take the hint and make more good RPGs instead of relying on tony taka garbage to shift models
PSO2 is probably even selling more merch going by how fast it sells out

serplux

About God Eater 2, i see it as a 50/50 thing, meaning that it makes equally sense where it was ported. The benefit the 3DS has is the larger userbase, and maybe having Monster Hunter as well on that system. For Vita, i see the advantage of being able to offer cross-play between the PSP and Vita (i remember discussions about why it is important not to split the userbase regarding games in the hunting genre). Maybe it is quicker and easier to port it to the Vita because of the more powerful hardware as well (less optimizing might be needed for the game to run good).

For PSO2, i see Vita as a better choice because the PS3 would kinda be like a 2nd "PC". At least i dont see any benefits having it on PS3 when it already excist on PC (i assume that most people owning a PS3 also have a PC, but of course it is also the factor that people might prefer to play on consoles instead of on a PC). Having it on the Vita, it offers portable play, also at almost any location as well if you have the Vita 3G model.

I think the Vita was the best choice in the end. It has a better chance to stand out from Monster Hunter in this way, and at least some of the fanbase is ready to move on to the next Sony handheld.

prwxv3

Everyone still talking about the Vita being dead. No one really mentioning how bad the Wii U is floundering. That console is just as dead as Vita has been. Looks terrible and PS4 will murder it in Japan this holiday season, regardless of Mario.

Nope.

Mondriaan

Guaranteed? You mean just like Musou, Ridge Racer, Street Fighter, Metal Gear and virtually every other 3rd party franchise was guaranteed to do better on Vita?
Guaranteed in the sense that it would be difficult for a game as good as EX Troopers to bomb harder than EX Troopers on 3DS (a wholly unjustified bombing IMO).

Guaranteed in the sense that it would be difficult for a game as good as EX Troopers to bomb harder than EX Troopers on 3DS (a wholly unjustified bombing IMO).
But it bombed worse already on a much stronger platform (PS3). What makes you think it would perform better on Vita? Why exactly do you believe it tanked on 3DS?

EX Troopers sold around 50k units on 3DS. It would haven't sold much better on Vita, in particular with a PS3 version released at the same time.

Jamix012

Ad1. 3DS and Wii U were badly overpriced and lacked software, Vita lacked software releases since market was taken by earlier 3DS and high entry price didn't help - none of this applies to PS4.
Ad2. Essentially Nintendo handheld exclusive since DQ X and MH Wii U are hardly among the biggest on home consoles. So far chances for next numbered DQ entry on home consoles are rather minimal.
Ad3. It will be cheaper than PS3 was
Ad4. Because it was rediculusly expensive, nightmare to develop on it and Microsoft were buying timed exclusives left and right - none of those factors will apply to PS4 as MS essentially given up on Japan.
Ad5. There's still 9 milions PS3 + 11 milions of Wii in there.
Ad6. They are in the same decline as DQ is on 3DS compared to DS - PS3 userbase was not big enough to repeat numbers from PS2 era.
Ad7. So they will be similarly priced to PS2/Wii compared to PS4 which will be cheaper than PS4.

I have yet to see Dev/publisher who killed themselves from reasons other than rediculus budget decisions, MMO wow killer holy grail chase or rediculus development times.
Ad1. For someone who was just posts ago being sarcastic about someone's market knowledge this is completely hypocritical. Do tell us what the PS4's price and launch games will be please.
Ad6. What. DQ's 3DS numbers are pretty well in line with the DS remakes.

Road

Famitsu Market Value, February, 2013
(2013-01-28~2013-02-24; 4 weeks)

Hardware: 10.58 billion yen (+15.7%)
Software: 16.93 billion yen (+8.3%)

Total: 27.50 billion yen (+11.0%)

Top 10 Software:

01 [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshitachi (Square Enix) {2013-02-07} - 1,088,077 / 1,088,077
02 [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Konami) {2013-02-21} - 335,791 / 335,791
03 [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) {2012-11-08} - 321,147 / 3,012,055
04 [3DS] Fantasy Life (Level 5) {2012-12-27} - 45,700 / 246,338
05 [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Chougoukaban (Bandai Namco) {2012-11-29} - 43,943 / 407,188
06 [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) {2012-07-28} - 34,913 / 1,957,380
07 [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate [Best Price!] (Capcom) {2012-11-15} - 29,373 / 222,778
08 [3DS] Magi: Hajimari no Meikyuu (Bandai Namco) {2013-02-21} - 25,281 / 25,281
09 [PS3] DmC: Devil May Cry (Capcom) {2013-01-17} - 25,047 / 168,886
10 [3DS] Run For Money Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-tachi kara Nigekire! (Bandai Namco) {2012-07-05} - 22,025 / 429,992

mcreate2009-2013softwxpjic.png

It's only gonna get worse and worse until MH4.

VXLbeast

This thread got even crazier than it was yesterday.

So no news on Soul Sack yet? Very interested in seeing how that does.

You're seeing what you want. I'm not even personally interested in the game.

I'm actually seeing what you're presenting on your posts.

I really don't care where GE or PSO goes, both are mediocre games IMO. If you're asking me if I were a business man for either company where I would put my game, I would go where the money is, be it from the console makers or from the public. Everything else being equal I would go where my audience is. A large userbase does not necessarily mean more money in my pocket. GE2, much like MH3, would probably make more sense as a PSP/PSV release last year to try and get the audience to upgrade to the new hardware while still selling to them. Not sure that would work right now as the psv is pretty dead and psp is a 9 year old platform. I don't have all the information they do have and maybe GE will sell better without having to compete with MH. I will say that if there was no incentives from Sony and if I wasn't sure where my audience was, I would go with the 3DS.

PSO2, much like DQX, should be on PC first and foremost, after that on a console with a good online framework, i.e. the PS3 or the 360. PSV kinda works because it also does have a decent online framework, though it wouldn't be my first choice.

The case for MH3G/4 on 3DS is self evident: Nintendo's the clear market leader. If DS could've run it, MonHun would've made sense on it as well. Capcom's even said their intent to move predated any offers from Nintendo.

DQX Wii U I think is more a circumstantial move. It was decided on for Wii a LONG time ago, and Wii U likely made sense since it would've upheld any previous exclusivity arrangement. Even in that case I think a port elsewhere might be worth it down the line though, especially if SE wants to bring it west (PC, other consoles, smartphones, etc).

Let me ask you this, do you think Nintendo paid Capcom (money or other incentives such as marketing or help with dev costs) to bring MH3 and MH4 to 3DS exclusively? Yes or no.

Do you think Nintendo paid Square Enix (money or other incentives such as marketing or help with dev costs) to bring DQ X to Wii U? Yes or no.

Top Bottom