• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2013 (Feb 25 - Mar 03)

test_account

XP-39C²
Having some MHP3 monsters doesn't mean "it's also based on MHP3". They're two different games. MH3G is based on MH3. It has monsters from other entries as well, but it's not based on them.
Sorry if i wasnt clear, but what i mean with "based on" in this case is just the content sharing, not that it is build directly further on from MHP3rd. It is just a matter of how one define "based on". One can say that it is based on MH3, but also include stuff from MH3rd, that is fine too :) But it doesnt matter that much though i think because all Monster Hunter games share the same gameplay mechanics, and MHP3rd and TriG are both portable games which are reasons that makes the games very popular.

I was just wondering about the relationship between MHP3rd and TriG because i had seen people referring to TriG as being the 3rd release of the game. From what i gathered of the previous replies in this thread, seeing that TriG is not a brand new game, i understand that it has stuff (or being based on) from MH3 and MHP3rd, and then some new stuff is added as well. So TriG has stuff from the most popular MH game in it as well. That was the thing i was wondering about =)

EDIT: I added some text.

Square Enix is kind of an interesting case study since they had a large volume of handheld titles relative to many other publishers, but it seems to be shrinking. Is that a reality, or a factor of announcement timing? I think it's an open question, but one that's slowly becoming less open.
Actually relative to a launch aligned comparison, SE doesn't fare bad at all and is quite an improvement on last gen.

In 2 years on market:

DS
03.24.05 Egg Monster Heroes
12.01.05 Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
03.02.06 Children of Mana
07.27.06 Mario Hoops: 3-on-3 (published by Nintendo)
08.24.06 Final Fantasy III

3DS
02.26.11 Bust-A-Move Universe
11.02.11 Slime Morimori Dragon Quest 3
02.16.12 Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
03.29.12 Kingdom Hearts 3D [dream drop distance]
05.31.12 Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
06.15.12 Heroes of Ruin
10.11.12 Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
02.07.13 Dragon Quest VII

In 1 year on market:

PSP
09.14.05 Advent Children: Final Fantasy VII (UMD Video)

PS Vita
12.17.11 Army Corps of Hell
12.17.11 Lord of Apocalypse

Now, I also think an argument can be made the state of the industry (at least in Japan) has shifted pretty dramatically from 2004/2005 to 2011/2012 in favor of handhelds, so the better early support makes some sense. But at the same time, I think people are really doing current handhelds a disservice by comparing current lineups to almost a decade of support on DS/PSP without proper context.

edit: for fun, here's the (Enix + Square) lineups for the first 2 years of previous Nintendo handhelds too:

Game Boy
12.15.89 The Final Fantasy Legend
12.14.90 Final Fantasy Legend II

Game Boy Color
09.25.98 Dragon Warrior Monsters
09.23.99 Dragon Warrior I & II

Game Boy Advance
12.20.01 Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 2 Advance
01.17.02 Snap Kids!
09.20.02 Samurai Evolution: Oukoku Geist
10.31.02 Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 3 Advance
12.13.02 Chocobo Land: A Game of Dice
02.14.03 Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Nintendo DSi (DSiWare only)
06.24.09 Dragon Quest Wars
09.09.09 Norori no Game: Chi
09.09.09 Norori no Game: Goku
10.28.09 Hills and Rivers Remain
11.04.09 Space Invaders Extreme Z

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases

{2013.03.07}

[3DS] Doraemon: Nobita to Himitsu Dougu Hakubutsukan <ETC> (FuRyu) (¥5.229)
[3DS] Minna de Auto Racing 3D <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥6.090)

[PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥5.980)
[PSV] Soul Sacrifice ["United Front" Double Pack] <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥7.980)
[PSV] Soul Sacrifice [PlayStation Vita Soul Sacrifice Premium Edition] <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥29.980)
[PSV] Tales of Hearts R # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.480)
[PSV] Tales of Hearts R [Tales of Hearts R Link Edition] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.980)

[PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: All Star # <ACT> (Broccoli) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: All Star [Super Shining Smile Box Limited Edition] <ACT> (Broccoli) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: All Star [PlayStation Portable Prelude Symphony Pack] <ACT> (Broccoli) (¥22.990)
[PSP] British Detective Mysteria # <ADV> (Marvelous AQL) (¥6.279)
[PSP] British Detective Mysteria [Limited Victorian Box] <ADV> (Marvelous AQL) (¥8.980)
[PSP] Sora o Aogite Kumo Takaku Portable # <RPG> (CyberFront) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Sora o Aogite Kumo Takaku Portable [Limited Edition] <RPG> (CyberFront) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Ultraman Star Chronicles <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Mahou Shoujo Nanoha A's Portable: The Battle of Aces (PSP the Best) <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.800)
[PSP] Mahou Shoujo Nanoha A's Portable: The Gears of Destiny (PSP the Best) <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.800)
[PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki (PSP the Best) <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥2.940)

[PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f <ACT> (Sega) (¥7.329)
[PS3] Crysis 3 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)
[PS3] F1 Race Stars <RCE> (Codemasters) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Far Cry 3 <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥7.770)

[360] Crysis 3 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)
[360] F1 Race Stars <RCE> (Codemasters) (¥7.140)
[360] Far Cry 3 <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥7.770)

{2013.03.14}

[3DS] Super Robot Wars UX # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.140)
[3DS] Super Robot Wars UX [Nintendo 3DS LL Bundle] <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥26.040)
[3DS] Nazo Waku Yakata: Oto no Aida ni Aida ni (Best Price!) <ADV> (Capcom) (¥2.490)

[PSV] Steins;Gate <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.090)
[PSV] Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling <ADV> (5pb.) (¥5.040)
[PSV] Steins;Gate: Double Pack # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥10.290)
[PSV] Steins;Gate: Double Pack [Limited Edition] <ADV> (5pb.) (¥18.690)
[PSV] Nobunaga's Ambition: Way of Heaven with Power-Up Kit (30th Anniversary Campaign Thank Pack) <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.090)

[PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment [First Press Limited Edition] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.980)
[PSP] Winning Post 7 2013 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥5.040)
[PSP] Frontier Gate: Boost+ <RPG> (Konami) (¥3.990)
[PSP] Pop'n Music Portable 2 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Konami) (¥2.940)

[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥6.980)
[PS3] God of War: Ascension # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥5.980)
[PS3] God of War: Ascension [Original Dual Shock 3 Bundle] <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥9.980)
[PS3] Darkstalkers Resurrection <FTG> (Capcom) (¥2.990)
[PS3] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver. (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.990)
[PS3] Winning Post 7 2013 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.560)
[PS3] Nobunaga's Ambition: Way of Heaven with Power-Up Kit (30th Anniversary Campaign Thank Pack) <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.190)
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥2.604)
[PS3] Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)

[360] Darkstalkers Resurrection <FTG> (Capcom) (¥2.990)

Last week I was told Tsutaya seems to be closer to the real rankings than Comgnet. Would that be true?
Yes because they are bigger, but closer is not enough, both are not the real thing.

And I think it's worth noting that Sony pushed Soul Sacrifice at Tsutaya stores, and Tsutaya reps are always very positive about Vita.

Mario007

Well, Tsutaya is the bigger chain.

Yes because they are bigger, but closer is not enough, both are not the real thing.

And I think it's worth noting that Sony pushed Soul Sacrifice at Tsutaya stores, and Tsutaya reps are always very positive about Vita.
Right, thanks for that. Well I guess just the fact that it's battling with Miku for the top price is good news for a new IP that some would expect to have decent legs. Personally if it'll be in the region of 120k to 150k I would say Sony found their new Vita franchise.

DaBoss

Right, thanks for that. Well I guess just the fact that it's battling with Miku for the top price is good news for a new IP that some would expect to have decent legs. Personally if it'll be in the region of 120k to 150k I would say Sony found their new Vita franchise.

I think around 100K to 150K would be really good since it is a new IP.

Comg also has Tales above AC, the game which has been selling 65k+ for forever.

Tsutaya has it lower but as long as they are reasonably close I think the answer to if this will be Vitas biggest software week is probably a yes with the SS double pack also their aswell as second weeks for SK and PSO2.

DaBoss

Tsutaya has it lower but as long as they are reasonably close I think the answer to if this will be Vitas biggest software week is probably a yes with the SS double pack also their aswell as second weeks for SK and PSO2.

Speaking of the SS double pack, what is it exactly? Is it a digital copy of the game along with a physical version? Is it 2 physical copies, if so, why did they do that?

EDIT: Google search shows me 2 physical copies of the game.

EDIT2: I see it's a value pack.

Mario007

It did. It continued to sell quite well following it's release. I guess that could be a good sign for Soul Sacrifice?
Yeah if SS can do BD's numbers, I think Sony and Vita owners would be really pleased. It'd be a positive sign for the developer community too.

I wonder how the double pack will be counted in the charts. Will it be just 1 for an SKU or 2 for 2 games?

serplux

It did. It continued to sell quite well following it's release. I guess that could be a good sign for Soul Sacrifice?

Maybe? Although I don't remember what immediately followed in the weeks coming after Bravely Default, since I'm concerned/expect Soul Sacrifice to be covered up by Super Robot Taisen UX and Luigi's Mansion 2 in the next two weeks.

maltrain

Great news for Vita fans.

Soul Sacrifice was the number one game of the week on Tsutaya:

http://translate.google.com/transla...=en&u=http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html

Tales of Hearts R was the 5th...

Senran Kagura was 11th...

A "Double Pack 'united front' SOUL SACRIFICE" was the 12th... (I don't know what that means).

Phantasy Star Online 2 was 14th...

And a few PSP games too on Top 20:

All Star &#9734; Prince Sama Uta was 15th...

Shining Arc was 16th...

And Ultraman Star Chronicles was 20th...

So:
6 PS3 Games
6 3DS Games
5 PS Vita Games
3 PSP Games

GREAT.

Damn so we won't get the full picture? That sucks. The positive thing will be that whatever number SS will do, the real number of people playing the game is larger.

Multiply double pack sales by 2?

We never get the real full picture on games theses days anyway with DD numbers unless a company is happy to give their comments in quarterly/yearly reports and even then thats shipped numbers.

Mario007

Multiply double pack sales by 2?

We never get the real full picture on games theses days anyway with DD numbers unless a company is happy to give their comments in quarterly/yearly reports and even then thats shipped numbers.
Wait will the double pack be reported as a separate SKU by Media Create of Famitsu? Because if so, then yes it'd be easy to multiply by 2. I imaged they'd be lumped together wiht all the other SKUs of the same game (like limited editions etc)

Once again will Media Create and Famitsu not lump the dual pack with other SS SKUs?
Check Week 39 2012, EDF has two different SKUs on MC charts.

The EDF dual-pack sold more than the regular edition, so I'm actually not sure if they multiply by 2 or not.

EDIT: Mobile devices are too slow, lol.

hiska-kun

The Full Tsutaya Ranking:

01 (__) [PSV] Soul Sacrifice (Sony Computer Entertainment)
02 (__) [PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (Sega)
03 (01) [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 (Koei Tecmo)
04 (08) [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo)
05 (__) [PSV] Tales of Hearts R (Bandai Namco Games)
06 (02) [3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies (Level 5)
07 (__) [PS3] Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)
08 (07) [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden (Square Enix)
09 (03) [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Konami)
10 (09) [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission (Bandai Namco Games)
11 (04) [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei (Marvelous AQL)
12 (__) [PSV] Soul Sacrifice ["United Front" Double Pack] (Sony Computer Entertainment)
13 (10) [PS3] Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe (Bandai Namco Games)
14 (05) [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2: Special Package (Sega)
15 (__) [PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: All Star (Broccoli)
16 (06) [PSP] Shining Ark (Sega)
17 (__) [PS3] Crysis 3 (Electronic Arts)
18 (__) [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita to Himitsu Dougu Hakubutsukan (FuRyu)
19 (11) [3DS] Touch Detective: Nameko Shigeru (Success)
20 (__) [PSP] Ultraman Star Chronicles (Bandai Namco Games)

But it's true that Tsutaya stores had Soul Sacrifice in the main locations and had a large promotion for the game. So, wait for the real numbers before get too excited.

Or are we expecting that to do lower opening than the Vita version?

Yes. Fans jumped on the Vita version and it seems to fit a handheld better.
Sort of felt that well was drained, you know? It has a very active fan base but I don't feel that fan base has enormous reach but maybe thats a false assumption.

Soul coming above it is still great, don't get me wrong - but I always felt it'd do reasonably strongly anyway. Not 'the next MH' but its a big first party game that actually seems to take advantage of the system.

DaBoss

SS being first isn't much of a surprise, is it?
We've seen plenty of Vita games manage it.

2 is not plenty. Only Persona 4: Golden and Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f were first on the Famitsu charts, so this would be the third time a PSV title is first.

maltrain

But it's true that Tsutaya stores had Soul Sacrifice in the main locations and had a large promotion for the game. So, wait for the real numbers before get to excited.

So? That's normal for any chain of videogame stores every week... besides, Tsutaya it's the biggest chain on Japan and you can compare their monday's ranks with MCS ones and they are pretty close...

So? That's normal for any chain of videogame stores every week... besides, Tsutaya it's the biggest chain on Japan and you can compare their monday's ranks with MCS ones and they are pretty close...
You are way too excited over a Tsutaya chart. You should calm downe and check a few things. For one, Tsutaya is not a videogame store.

maltrain

You are way too excited over a Tsutaya chart. You should calm downe and check a few things. For one, Tsutaya is not a videogame store.

Last Week.

TSUTAYA
1º. Dynasty Warriors
2º. Professor Layton
3º. Metal Gear Revengeance
4º. Senran Kagura
5º. Phantasy Star Online 2
6º. Shining Ark
7º. Dragon Quest VII
8º. Animal Crossing
9º. Dragon Ball
10º. Macross

MEDIA CREATE
1º. Dynasty Warriors
2º. Professor Layton
3º. Senran Kagura
4º. Dragon Ball
5º. Animal Crossing
6º. Macross
7º. Phantasy Star Online 2
8º. Metal Gear Revengeance
9º. Shining Ark
10º. Dragon Quest VII

Pretty damn close, like every week (the same top ten games in fact)... and I never said it's a videogames chain... I know they are a Blockbuster kind of shop (videos, games and books).

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Yes. Fans jumped on the Vita version and it seems to fit a handheld better.
Sort of felt that well was drained, you know? It has a very active fan base but I don't feel that fan base has enormous reach but maybe thats a false assumption.
Definitely not true. Miku is the biggest mixed media property I have seen since Pokemon - the amount of cross-promotion is insane and everybody knows her.

noobie

Banned
isnt Tsutaya has Tales games a bit too low
If i m not wrong Tales games have a dedicated following of 100k - 200k fans.. and if the game is very good and is high profile it can increase as was the case with Xilia

But in the case of Tales of Heart R (Vita) i feel its going to debut much below 100k.

Is it decent and norm?

isnt Tsutaya has Tales games a bit too low
If i m not wrong Tales games have a dedicated following of 100k - 200k fans.. and if the game is very good and is high profile it can increase as was the case with Xilia

But in the case of Tales of Heart R (Vita) i feel its going to debut much below 100k.

Is it decent and norm?
Tales games have been underperforming on the Vita.

jeremy1456

Mostly because they are remakes of games that didn't do extremely well on the DS either. We don't know what an original entry in the Tales would do.

Tales of the Abyss was a port on 3DS, released before that system took off, and managed higher numbers than the REMAKE of Innocence.

Abyss - one of biggest Tales games, released on stationary consoles
Innocence - one of weakest Tales games, released previously on handheld

sounds like totally valid comparision...

You could have a case if Namco released Vesperia for Vita and it sold 50k.

Top Bottom