• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2014 (Feb 24 - Mar 02)

Shengar

And that's oneof the main concerns for the next future, together with the lineup being desertic.

Code:
04./02. [PS3] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) {2014.02.22} (¥8.600) - 54.148 / 192.305 (-61%)
Well look like you edited your post as I write mine, but here goes anyway:

It's not the Yakuza Ishin number that makes PS4 future worrying. Lackluster software line up said that better than Ishin.

Muzy72

Banned
I really don't understand Vita people. They spread doom and gloom because 3DS is down YoY, but it's still a good amount above Vita. And now we're at the point where the Vita will be down YoY too, but somehow it's still year of the Vita? And that's ignoring the fact that most of the software on the Top 30 every week is 3DS.

RalchAC

Well, you can already download additional RAM for your computer, makes sense that can download yourself a PS4 now. I mean, Sony ain't THAT incompetent.

Thanks! Downloaded 4GB while they're still free!

I presume that the new model is much more cost efficient thus Sony could do another price cut to keep the momentum

I think they'll wait a little. Until Summer or Fall, when Freedom Wars and Phantasy Star Nova are released. They'll keep that card if they want to gain some momentum.

Pricedropping a new model 4 months after its release would be a little rage inducing too xD.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
BTW, the PS4 version of Yakuza: Ishin! only selling 22K this week being the PS4 top selling game. (Not counting Knack for obvious reasons). That's horrible, man.

And that's oneof the main concerns for the next future, together with the lineup being desertic.

It took a looooong time for Vita sku's to overtake PSP sku's of cross-gen shit. Japan seemingly has a real problem adopting new hardware and going all in. A culture of "good enough" has really sucked the wind out of console uptake.

Its a worry when we all know most third parties will still be PS3 releasing two years from now and showing little speed in jumping off of it. That Persona 5 isn't even cross-gen just compounds the whole mess. I'm not sure what the solution is beyond Sony brute-forcing a ton of their own entries in genres and hoping they stimulate uptake which is what the rumours suggest they're up to.

PSV : Valhalla Knights 3 ( Marvelous Entertainment ) { 2013-05-23 } - 44.086
PSP : Valhalla Knights 2 ( Marvelous Entertainment ) { 2008-05-29 } - 34.562
PSP : Valhalla Knights ( Marvelous Entertainment ) { 2006-08-31 } - 14.089
PSP : Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance ( Marvelous Entertainment ) { 2009-06-25 } - 13.588
PSV : Valhalla Knights 3 Gold ( Marvelous AQL ) { 2014-02-27 } - 13.093
Japan finally paying dust to this shitty series. Marvelous is such a great company, they should use their money to develop/publish something else. Same for XSeed!

[3DS] Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) {2012.02.23} (¥5.040) - 81.131 / NEW <74,23%>
[3DS] Harvest Moon: Linking The New World <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.02.27} (¥5.040) - 130.782 / NEW
dat 50k growth
3fIBsQt.gif

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 35.243 / 496.333 <80-100%> (+18%)
Total including digital sales: 500,628

Also its biggest week since launch (52.901).

I really don't understand Vita people. They spread doom and gloom because 3DS is down YoY, but it's still a good amount above Vita. And now we're at the point where the Vita will be down YoY too, but somehow it's still year of the Vita? And that's ignoring the fact that most of the software on the Top 30 every week is 3DS.
They broke a long time ago.

Wiiu people will break soon too.

cafemomo

Who is proclaiming its the year of the Vita? The people who are touting "#Vita2014yolo" are just fooling around

But you have to give the Vita credit. For a system just getting a bunch of niche games, it's amazing that it's holding in the 18K-25K range

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Just to be clear, when I talk about the 3DS being down majorly year over year, I'm noting that the only healthy platform in the dedicated device market is becoming problematic, which is not good for the overall industry.

I'm not trying to talk up the Vita, which is a joke platform in a market so bad that it seems to be securing spot #2.

TheChaos0

Don't take it too seriously because most people are not actually being serious and they/we do realise what kind of position Vita is in.

Saying that, Vita is currently up YoY, which shows that things are improving, it's still selling bad but at very least it's selling less bad than it did a year ago. 3DS being down YoY just plain bad for the market, considering it's the market leader and everything else has almost irrelevant hardware sales.

Japan finally paying dust to this shitty series. Marvelous is such a great company, they should use their money to develop/publish something else. Same for XSeed!

dat 50k growth
3fIBsQt.gif

Total including digital sales: 500,628

Also its biggest week since launch (52.901).

I seriously don't understand why they produced 3 entries for that game. I really don't.

test_account

XP-39C²
Taken from the previous Media Create thread:

So you are trying to say that the majority of people in 2007 simply ignored and didn´t mention that the PS3 was priced out of the mainstream market and that price drops combined with system sellers like MGS and Final Fantasy would push sales considerably? What were those expectations you are talking about, because I have a hard time believing that the majority had been expecting considerably less than 10m, something that PS3 still wasn´t able to achieve yet, after beeing 8 years in retail and full 3rd party support from the get go.

If you consider that most people didn´t expect that it would take 8 years until its successor would launch and most likely made their prediction based on a more common 5-6 year lifecycle even the more severe "predictions" back in 2007 aren´t really that far off, and even then just exceptions.
No no, i'm not saying that :) It was indeed well acknowledged that price and the game selection were some of the main factors for PS3 low sale in the begining like you mention. But not many expected the PS3 to hit 10 million based on the early sales and the very strong competition from the Wii. The "wait for (insert game here)" arguement for PS3 was made fun of several of times for example, the most infamous one might be "wait for Virtua Fighter 5" (which was one of the first big title for PS3 in Japan). So early on there wasnt exactly any big optimism when it comes to the majority of the people that some games would turn around the sales pattern for the PS3 in a big way. I am sure that someone thought it, but there was definitelly much discussion around it that it wouldnt do much, so everyone didnt think it would happen. There were also talk about if the bigger games could give a temporary sales spike for the PS3 hardware instead of having a long term boost effect.

I dont know and percentange of how many that predicted what, but personally i can not remember many (if any?) 10 million predictions for PS3 in Japan in 2007 at least. The Media Create threads from that time are still up and running, so everyone can go back and look if they want :) I do remember some predictions that the PS3 might not even outsell the Gamecube though. I'm not going to bash those predictions because the PS3 was selling bad in the begining, but it shows that long-term predictions might end up turning out to be very different from what will actually happen.

I cant comment much regarding the 5-6 years expected life cycle because i dont know what people thought about that. However, we did know that both the PS1 and PS2 kept on selling after the successors were released, so people should have accounted for that with the PS3 as well when the PS4 came out, unless they thought that the PS3 would be discontinued early, but in that case it shows that such a prediction didnt turn out like it would have been predicted. But regardless of how long the previous console generation was expected to last, its exactly this unknown factor that shows that long-term predictions might turn out to be very different from whats actually going to happen. That is my main point :) Predicting long-term based on very early data doesnt necessarily end up being correct.

EDIT: By the way, Metal Gear Solid 4 didnt really do much for the PS3 hardware sales in Japan. It caused a spike in the hardware sales the same week when MGS4 launched, but after that it went quickly down. It was factors like this that made some people think that the PS3 wasnt going to change the sales pattern a lot. Here you can see a graph of the PS3 hardware sales:

2007-11-06

The spike in week 31 is when MGS4 was released.

http://garaph.info/linecompare.php//weeks/52/sum/0/html/2/sys-0/PS3/date-0/2007-11-06

Holy shit Harvest Moon. Marvelous has done a fantastic job of revitalizing that franchise. Props to Level 5 as well. They create create semi-big franchises like no one's business.

jcm

BTW, the PS4 version of Yakuza: Ishin! only selling 22K this week being the PS4 top selling game. (Not counting Knack for obvious reasons). That's horrible, man.

The software sales this week actually improved the system's overall attach rate over last week. There's about 70K in the Famitsu top 30.

Road

Another Tecmo Koei games that sells like crap.

I just looked at Tecmo sales and I never noticed they have always been relatively small. Since 1996, 23 games even crossed 100k (Famitsu available sales). If I raise the bar to 200k, we're left with only 7 (The last one being in 2007 for the DS).

In comparison, I have 61 Koei releases over 100k (counting post-merge Musou games as Koei only), 30 over 200k.

Code:
Deception series:

FW /       LTD
   38,489 /   135,595 [PS1] Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness {1996-07-26} (Tecmo)
   65,380 /   217,410 [PS1] Kagero: Deception II {1998-07-23} (Tecmo)
   39,958 /    59,151 [PS1] Deception III: Dark Delusion {1999-12-09} (Tecmo)
   63,461 /    94,267 [PS2] Trapt {2005-06-30} (Tecmo)
   [B][U]24,315 /       NEW [PS3] Deception IV: Blood Ties {2014-02-27} (Koei Tecmo)[/U][/B]
   [B][U]18,032 /       NEW [PSV] Deception IV: Blood Ties {2014-02-27} (Koei Tecmo)[/U][/B]

antibolo

Banned

SmokyDave is currently banned, so everyone is compensating for his absence.

RalchAC

Not really. Valhalla Knights has a dedicated fanbase there. Sales haven't really dropped if you see how much the expanded version of Valhalla Knights 2 sold (Battle Stance, I think it was called).
___

Soul Sacrifice Delta is next week. It doesn't have a cheaper upgrade on PSN, right? I think I read it somewhere in last week thread, but he/she may be wrong.

FourMyle

Wow I had no idea they still made Harvest Moon games. I remember literally falling asleep while playing one of those games on the GBA. Seriously some of the most boring stuff I've ever played.

L~A

Just to be clear, when I talk about the 3DS being down majorly year over year, I'm noting that the only healthy platform in the dedicated device market is becoming problematic, which is not good for the overall industry.

I'm not trying to talk up the Vita, which is a joke platform in a market so bad that it seems to be securing spot #2.

Honestly, I think it's too early to consider the 3DS sales problematic. There's no calling 50% down YoY good or even decent, but that's hardly surprising after 3 years of almost constant increase YoY (2013 did end up lower than 2012, but still pretty close... sales didn't exactly drop like a rock).

They'll start becoming problematic if Nintendo doesn't do anything in the upcoming months (and I'm sure they will have a new model soon.... I've already said it several times, it's no coincidence they didn't launch any new model last year).

But it's clear the 3DS isn't performing as well as it should. But still : software sales are still real healthy (Harvest Moon is really significant since the best-seller was released during the DS era and its insane sales).

I think we can expect some interesting stuff 3DS-wise in the upcoming months, especially since Nintendo's released pretty much all their big hitters already.

Ty4on

Will be down YoY? If the average per week is 19.5K or higher the next five weeks it will still be up YoY and after that sales were poor with the average from W15-35 being under 16K, something the Vita hasn't seen in Japan since the PCH-1000.
Not really. Valhalla Knights has a dedicated fanbase there. Sales haven't really dropped if you see how much the expanded version of Valhalla Knights 2 sold (Battle Stance, I think it was called).
___

Soul Sacrifice Delta is next week. It doesn't have a cheaper upgrade on PSN, right? I think I read it somewhere in last week thread, but he/she may be wrong.
So there was a cheaper upgrade on PSN for owners of Valhalla Knights 3?

it's just an expanded version, not a new chapter

VH3 sold 70k, it's normal they continue to milk the series, the shitty thing is people who bought the vanilla version should buy again the game at full price just to play some new classes and some new stages

the funny thing is VH3 has better textures than MH4 :D

Xis

Anecdotal evidence and everything, but here's a quote from PlaystationLifestyle:

The PS4&#8242;s second-week sales numbers are in, with Media Create reporting Sony’s fourth console to have sold 65,685 units in its second week. You’ll probably see a lot of people online claiming supply constraints, but from my own experience here in Japan, that does not seem very true. I’m just one guy, but every game shop I see seems to have PS4s readily available, and it’s been that way since day 1.

Keyouta

Okay, so, kind of on-topic: I've always liked harvest moon but I haven't played any of the titles in a while, I own A Wonderful Life and Magical Melody. So, where should I start with a new one? I've heard good things about A New Beginning, but I'm also content with waiting a bit until Linking the New World is out in NA, it's great that it had such a good opening in Japan (the series' best!).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honestly, I think it's too early to consider the 3DS sales problematic. There's no calling 50% down YoY good or even decent, but that's hardly surprising after 3 years of almost constant increase YoY (2013 did end up lower than 2012, but still pretty close... sales didn't exactly drop like a rock).

They'll start becoming problematic if Nintendo doesn't do anything in the upcoming months (and I'm sure they will have a new model soon.... I've already said it several times, it's no coincidence they didn't launch any new model last year).

But it's clear the 3DS isn't performing as well as it should. But still : software sales are still real healthy (Harvest Moon is really significant since the best-seller was released during the DS era and its insane sales).

I think we can expect some interesting stuff 3DS-wise in the upcoming months, especially since Nintendo's released pretty much all their big hitters already.
I think something can be problematic even if it's not an overly long period of time.

It not being problematic hinges on Nintendo doing something to change it, which they haven't announced anything yet, and then that thing working satisfactorily.

But yes software sales aren't crashing. Stagnation would be the main short term concern, especially for larger titles.

Thorgal

Stock is bigger than sales.

Knack Sell through was 80-100%
IIRC this is still the bundled version which would mean they pretty much sold out the whole shipment .
Road posted about that also :

Famitsu: http://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/

PS4: 52,697 / 374,780

Says PS4 is supply constrained.

Media Create: http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20140305054/

PS4: 65,685 / 374,839

So PS4 sales are going to go up next week?

I could see a slight rise if new stock is available but the general expectation around here is that without new software it will go lower .

Amazon can give you trends, if filtered correctly. In the sense: you'll probably see specific core titles doing better on Amazon than at retail due to the audience which preorders, and the opposite. So, not numbers. But it can give you general trends/ indications. Again, if you give the right weight to specific factors. For guessing in the best way possible sales of titles, Comgnet + Amazon is a good way, especially if you know how to read Comgnet (i.e. comparisons between titles from the same series).

I see, thanks !

I was asking because the time Pre- orders where opened in Japan there where a lot of arguments here that Amazon oos messages where met with posts that it was a useless metric and told us nothing .

Darius

Banned
Taken from the previous Media Create thread:

No no, i'm not saying that :) It was indeed well acknowledged that price and the game selection were some of the main factors for PS3 low sale in the begining like you mention. But not many expected the PS3 to hit 10 million based on the early sales and the very strong competition from the Wii. The "wait for (insert game here)" arguement for PS3 was made fun of several of times for example, the most infamous one might be "wait for Virtua Fighter 5" (which was one of the first big title for PS3 in Japan). So early on there wasnt exactly any big optimism that some games would turn around the sales pattern for the PS3 in a big way. Maybe someone thought it, but there was definitelly much discussion around it that it wouldnt do much.

I dont know and percentange of how many that predicted what, but personally i can not remember many (if any?) 10 million predictions for PS3 in Japan in 2007 at least. The Media Create threads from that time are still up and running, so everyone can go back and look if they want :) I do remember some predictions that the PS3 might not even outsell the Gamecube though. I'm not going to bash those predictions because the PS3 was selling bad in the begining, but it shows that long-term predictions might end up turning out to be very different from what will actually happen.

I cant comment much regarding the 5-6 years expected life cycle because i dont know what people thought about that. However, we did know that both the PS1 and PS2 kept on selling after the successors were released, so people should have accounted for that with the PS3 as well when the PS4 came out, unless they thought that the PS3 would be discontinued early, but in that case it shows that such a prediction didnt turn out like it would have been predicted. But regardless of how long the previous console generation was expected to last, its exactly this unknown factor that shows that long-term predictions might turn out to be very different from whats actually going to happen. That is the main point :) Predicting long-term based on very early data doesnt necessarily end up being correct.

EDIT: Metal Gear Solid 4 didnt really do much for the PS3 hardware sales in Japan by the way. It caused a spike in the hardware sales the same week when MGS4 launched, but after that it went quickly down. Here you can see a graph of it:

2007-11-06

The spike in week 31 is when MGS4 was released.

http://garaph.info/linecompare.php//weeks/52/sum/0/html/2/sys-0/PS3/date-0/2007-11-06

PS3s first price drop didn´t happen until October 17 and the release of the cheaper 40gb model in Nov11 2007. That a single game early 2007 couldn´t change singlehandledly and immediatly the situation is common sense considering the price was still the same at that point. The PS3 was still priced too high and only at the end of 2007 reduced and the biggest card Final Fantasy not even in sight yet. I already asked you but again what was the most common prediction back than in Japan? Because quite honestly I doubt that most were far off the mark in the end.

L Thammy

I was asking because the time Pre- orders where opened in Japan there where a lot of arguments here that Amazon oos messages where met with posts that it was a useless metric and told us nothing .

It's because Amazon could simply have a low amount of stock. However, say something is consistently low in the charts, it's possible that there just isn't a demand for it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
[3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800) - 17.706 / 475.502 (+0%)

Lol

fantastic numbers for HM!

3DS has saturated Japan, it seems. Smash Bros should give it the biggest boost of the year, probably

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Okay I thought about this statement again and it's bothering me mathematically.

2011: 4,282,142 (launch, sets baseline)
2012: 5,497,737 (first YoY increase)
2013: 4.882.040 (first YoY decline)
2014: So far down nearly 50% YoY.

There's only one year of YoY increase, not three years of YoY increases. That's what's odd about the system. Historically platforms would peak in year 3 (two years of YoY increases) and then have a slower drop off the year after, yet we're seeing a system that suggests it peaked in year 2 and that this year's decline is a more traditional parabolic decline from that assumption.

3DS : Youkai Watch ( Level 5 ) { 2013-07-11 } - 52.901 / 496.333
NDS : Inazuma Eleven ( Level 5 ) { 2008-08-22 } - 41.458 / 401.820
PSP : Little Battlers eXperience ( Level 5 ) { 2011-06-16 } - 163.834 / 328.323

Who is proclaiming its the year of the Vita? The people who are touting "#Vita2014yolo" are just fooling around

But you have to give the Vita credit. For a system just getting a bunch of niche games, it's amazing that it's holding in the 18K-25K range

Speak for yourself. We are talking about the market leader in Japan by far last year versus a dead system, and this year it's selling within striking distance week after week? I believe in the Year of the Vita (TM). #20V1T4

It's funny how Vita perception changes in MC threads

2012: Vita will be discontinued by spring 2014
2013: ports of ps3 and psp games won't save Vita
2014: 3DS is still above
2015: ....

3DS : Youkai Watch ( Level 5 ) { 2013-07-11 } - 52.901 / 496.333
NDS : Inazuma Eleven ( Level 5 ) { 2008-08-22 } - 41.458 / 401.820
PSP : Little Battlers eXperience ( Level 5 ) { 2011-06-16 } - 163.834 / 328.323
I wondered why level 5 never bothered to localize little Battlers eXperience for 3DS at least . I am sure it will sell decent to the Pokemon audiences.Oh well i think Youkai Watch is coming and i am more interested in that anyway. Little batter should still have a chance since Inazuma Eleven was remake and release after 5 years plus lol.

Hyperbolic praise for the Vita has stopped being funny weeks ago. You guys can stop now.

Technically, it's geometric praise, not hyperbolic

Selling 20 of something you sold 10 of last month still means you doubled your sales

Are there really a lot of people still trying to muster a handheld console war? Both systems have great games, and neither should consider their install base comfortable.

There's only one year of YoY increase, not three years of YoY increases. That's what's odd about the system. Historically platforms would peak in year 3 (two years of YoY increases) and then have a slower drop off the year after, yet we're seeing a system that suggests it peaked in year 2 and that this year's decline is a more traditional parabolic decline from that assumption.
IIRC PS2's very first year on the market was its peak year for sales (though the next couple of years were very comparable of course). DS peaked in 2006 despite launching in very late 2004. If you look at DS and compare it with 3DS, the sales trends are actually very similar. In 2008 the DS experienced a comparable drop to what we're seeing with the 3DS now; the only difference is that there was a PSP ascension to help ease the impact of the drop. But looking outside of a market context there's nothing really odd about the 3DS decline compared to its predecessor and another 4.5-5m YTD was completely out of the question...we just don't have anything to make up for this steep decline (Vita YoY increase isn't significant enough). That's kind of why I want the PS4 to do well. The dedicated hardware market is looking anaemic without at least two systems thriving on a mainstream scale.

Road

Code:
PS4 RELEASE SCHEDULE

03/19 - Nobunaga's Ambition Online
03/20 - MGSV Demo

04/14 - FFXIV ARR Online
04/?? - Natural Doctrine

05/01 - Child of Light (PSN)
05/22 - notFamous
05/29 - Trials Fusion

06/05 - Wolfenstein

I think I'm gonna frame this and put it on a wall.

For comparison:

Wii U:

12/13 - Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12
12/20 - Call of Duty: Black Ops II
12/20 - ESPN Sports Connection
12/20 - Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
12/26 - Tank! Tank! Tank!

01/31 - Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2

02/07 - Wii Street U (eShop)
02/21 - Monster Hunter 3G Packet Relay Tool
02/21 - Tank! Tank! Tank!
02/27 - Nano Assault Neo (eShop)

03/20 - EarthBound (Virtual Console)
03/20 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
03/28 - Game & Wario
03/30 - Dragon Quest X Online

wrowa

Vita's hardware sales have turned from terrible to decent and software sales aren't bad, either. I don't see why the platform wouldn't deserve praise for that.

L~A

You're right, "3 years of YoY increase was terrible wording on my part, as it's totally not the case. What I meant was '3 years of strong sales'.

About systems peaking in Year 3, I'm not really surprised it's not the case for the 3DS. If you think about it, Nintendo didn't follow their usual pattern for revisions :

1) console launched in 2011
2) XL revision launched in 2012
3) nothing in 2013, the 3rd year

Usually, they relese a new revisions when sales start to drop, but when they released the XL, sales were still up YoY (I actually remember them saying the XL was made for the Western markets... and it actually worked, since that model now makes up for the vast majority of 3DS sold nowadays).

With the GBA and Nintendo DS, they did things diferently :

1) GBA launched in 2001, SP launched in 2003 (Year 3)
2) DS Lite launched in 2006, DSi launched in 2008 (Year 3)*

* I'm not taking the OG DS into account since sales didn't really take off until the DS Lite was launched.

So the 3DS got its model revision a year sooner, compared to their two previous handhelds, and that's one of the main reasons it's down YoY in early 2014. My take is : Nintendo knew it didn't need a new model revision in 2013, not with Pokémon and Monster Hunter (though I'm sure they weren't totally expecting sales to be down YoY... which lead to a worse decrease YoY in early 2014).

And in my opinion, it's something Nintendo planned from the start, which is why I'm expecting a new model revision (not sure if they'll bother with the 2DS).

I wondered why level 5 never bothered to localize little Battlers eXperience for 3DS at least . I am sure it will sell decent to the Pokemon audiences.Oh well i think Youkai Watch is coming and i am more interested in that anyway. Little batter should still have a chance since Inazuma Eleven was remake and release after 5 years plus lol.

IIRC Bamco have the license in the west and the anime will air on Nicktoons later this year, so there's sil a decent chance it'll come over.

Vita is coming for blood starting next week, might even outsell the 3DS.

[PSV] Soul Sacrifice &#916; <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥4.980)
[PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei (PlayStation Vita the Best) <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) (¥3.980)
[PSV] Muramasa Rebirth (PlayStation Vita the Best) <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) (¥3.570)
[PSV] Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Ubi the Best) <PZL> (Ubisoft) (¥2.079)
Y68lH1V.jpg

Top Bottom