• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2014 (Feb 24 - Mar 02)

Soriku

You guys are exaggerating the importance of the JP market. As long as the PS4 is selling great in the west, big/med sized JP pubs will have no choice but to develop for the system.

The domestic market is incredibly important (maybe even the most important market) for all or nearly all Japanese devs/publishers. Mid-size or smaller ones especially.

Anyway, I really don't think monitoring the PS4 situation closely on a per-hour basis or whatever right now will end up painting a positive picture anytime soon. Japan doesn't mind holding on to older systems for a while, there are notable console games still coming out for PS3, and there isn't anything really major coming out anytime soon.

Through the weeks, as the supply situation improves, we'll see how well the PS4 holds on, but at the moment that's neither here nor there. The situation will eventually improve though. I just hope it's not far off from PS3.

RalchAC

I don't think this is true for Japan, and I doubt this will be true for the rest of the world once the big hitters are being launched.
The WiiU did much better than expected numbers during the past Christmas (yeah, I remember that doing better than the equivalent Christmas for the GC on Japan became suddenly expected after the console sold 100K+ in one week) and Nintendo franchises are stronger now than they ever were back on the GC.

The console is selling low because it's catalogue is basically niche titles + platformers. It lacks diversification with big names of other genres, and that problem will be solved this year from the release of MK8 onwards.

When I didn't know MK8 would launch at May 30 and expected it to launch around March I made the claim that WiiU would never go lower than 5000K a week. With MK launching so late it could be possible for it to fall beyond that number, but I sincerely don't think this will happen once the games are released.

Nintendo is clearly betting it all on that second year of the console. I expect them, like they on the past year, to start releasing games at a pace of 1 title per month. It's just that this time they will start on May instead of July and they will have much bigger names of more varied genres to fill the gaps.

Mario Kart on May, Bayonetta 2 / Hyrule Warriors during summer/september, Smash Bros on October/November and X on december. If they could also release games such as FExSMT and another HD Remake like Wind Waker before the end of the year, coupled with the few 3rd party titles that are still released for the console like Project Cars (racing simulators have a market in Japan), I could see the WiiU selling much better than the GC, and even than the PS4 this year.

See the games released on the 3DS during that 1 game a month strategy. See the WiiU line up. It's not that hard to know which has more potential to improve sales. And Animal Crossing was quite a big part of those 2013 sales. The game had insane legs.

On the WiiU side you have:

A posible HD collection that won't release before fall. WW was announced in January and released on September, they won't have a HD port for April or the first three weeks or May. So it'll be a barren until then.

Bayonetta sold like 200.000 units first week (140.000 PS3 + 60.000 360), it probably ended around 270-300k but I dont find LTD sales for 360 version. (it's at 195k on Famitsu 2009 top100) in Japan and Xenoblade did around 150.000 units at the end of 2010. Any of those games, no matter how good they are, is going to set the world on fire. I don't know what could happen with Hyrule Warriors, but I don't think it's going to sell much more than WWHD.

The racing audience in Japan seems to be decreasing. If Gran Turismo 6 sold 300.000 units in PS3 (which has 9+ million consoles sold), Project Cars being a new IP and on a struggling platform won't do good numbers.

Smash and Mario Kart are the only games that are going to push WiiU sales. Don't expect big bumps with the other titles.

Nintendo is clearly betting it all on that second year of the console. I expect them, like they on the past year, to start releasing games at a pace of 1 title per month. It's just that this time they will start on May instead of July and they will have much bigger names of more varied genres to fill the gaps.

Mario Kart on May, Bayonetta 2 / Hyrule Warriors during summer/september, Smash Bros on October/November and X on december. If they could also release games such as FExSMT and another HD Remake like Wind Waker before the end of the year, coupled with the few 3rd party titles that are still released for the console like Project Cars (racing simulators have a market in Japan), I could see the WiiU selling much better than the GC, and even than the PS4 this year.

Somehow you went from one title a month to lumping months together in the same post. Also Project Cars in Japan? lol.

Miles X

Somehow you went from one title a month to lumping months together in the same post. Also Project Cars in Japan? lol.

Indeed. The current line up is

March: Nothing
April: Nothing
May: Mario Kart
June: Nothing
July: Nothing
August: Hyrule Warriors? Bayonetta 2?
September: ?
October: ?
November: Smash Bros
December: ?

They have 5 games (and is X even confirmed for this year, the latest direct didn't say late 2014.)

Looks like one game ever 3 months to me. And X, Bayonetta and Hyrule Warriors will do diddly squat for sales anyway, literally won't even give it a tiny bump, incredibly niche.

69wpm

Indeed. The current line up is

March: Nothing
April: NES Remix 1 + 2
May: Mario Kart
[...]

Fixed that for you.

Also: Hyrule Warriors will not be incredibly niche in Japan. Bayonetta 2 probably, but who knows about X. We have next to no information about that title.

Jigorath

Banned
Fixed that for you.

Also: Hyrule Warriors will not be incredibly niche in Japan. Bayonetta 2 probably, but who knows about X. We have next to no information about that title.

Being a WiiU exclusive will hurt Hyrule Warriors considering the Dynasty Warriors fanbase is primarily on Playstation.

Foshy

Fixed that for you.

I expect all 3 of them to open around 50k first week, although with negligible hardware bumps and barely any legs afterwards.

Kid Ying

Fixed that for you.

Actually in april nintendo is releasing just dance wii u too, another series that will crash. But i believe that famiremix will do sell for what is worth. Hell, the package version of luigy u crossed the 100k.

I dont believe in Zelda mudou selling the same as ww HD though. Its a very low bar and just being a new game guarantee that it will surpass it. I dont beliece it will sell well either though.

And X is guaranteed for 2014 in Japan. It might do relarively well... I think.

X was probably developed on a shoestring budget, with Nintendo giving a partial bankroll and assist. It'll probably struggle to do a quarter mil WW, but for that kind of title I think it's fine.

I want to see the Developer diaries of Bayonetta 2, though. And W101 for that matter. I'll be buying Bayonetta 2 but I'm sure it will establish that Bayo 3 won't happen for another decade.

X was probably developed on a shoestring budget, with Nintendo giving a partial bankroll and assist. It'll probably struggle to do a quarter mil WW, but for that kind of title I think it's fine.

If X only does .25Mil WW i would be shocked. That would be unbelievably bad for them for one of the most hyped games on the system. Although i dont think i would say its being made on a shoestring budget, def not a AAA budget but shoestring seems like its going a little to far.

Takao

Banned
lol at SCEJA wanting 200k from SSD

What gives you the indication that X is low budget? It's an open-world game that has likely been in some stage of development for at least three years. X is developed by Monolith Soft, a studio owned by Nintendo.

Guymelef

MC
pqlOLmG.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
... ~30k on famitsu for ps4.. Not looking too hot at all.

Do we know anything about supply situation besides the hourly mpl updates? :p

See the games released on the 3DS during that 1 game a month strategy. See the WiiU line up. It's not that hard to know which has more potential to improve sales. And Animal Crossing was quite a big part of those 2013 sales. The game had insane legs.

On the WiiU side you have:

A posible HD collection that won't release before fall. WW was announced in January and released on September, they won't have a HD port for April or the first three weeks or May. So it'll be a barren until then.

Bayonetta sold like 200.000 units first week (140.000 PS3 + 60.000 360), it probably ended around 270-300k but I dont find LTD sales for 360 version. (it's at 195k on Famitsu 2009 top100) in Japan and Xenoblade did around 150.000 units at the end of 2010. Any of those games, no matter how good they are, is going to set the world on fire. I don't know what could happen with Hyrule Warriors, but I don't think it's going to sell much more than WWHD.

The racing audience in Japan seems to be decreasing. If Gran Turismo 6 sold 300.000 units in PS3 (which has 9+ million consoles sold), Project Cars being a new IP and on a struggling platform won't do good numbers.

Smash and Mario Kart are the only games that are going to push WiiU sales. Don't expect big bumps with the other titles.
The other titles won't provide an immediate bump by themselves (only a few titles can do that, and Nintendo has two of them prepared for this year), but the sum of having them will without any doubt impact the sales positively.
Those games (X, Bayonetta 2, FE vs SMT, Yoshi, Project Cars) are like SS or GE on PSVita, games that aren't system sellers by themselves (they have enough strength to increase the sales on the launch week, but not to carry that impact on the following ones) but if enough of them are released they can positively influence the sales ecosystem on the mid-long term.

Top Bottom