• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 19th-25th Dec

polg

Fuzzy said:
Yay for the final numbers!

DS - 597,628
PSP - 161,332
PS2 - 97,475
GC - 36,646
GBASP - 35,764
GBM - 19,261
Xbox360 - 5,674
GBA - 906
Xbox - 141

YTD / LTD
DS - 3,761,175 / 5,256,771
PSP - 2,089,969 / 2,572,221
DS Lead - 1,671,206 / 2,684,550

The DS LTD is now more than double the PSP LTD.
definitively the year of the DS...

BuzzJive

Have we already laughed about how the DS sold more in 1 week than the Xbox and Xbox 360 combined LTD's? I don't think I want to go all the way back through the thread - but it does seem worth pointing out :)

So what are next years predictions for the DS in Japan? Better than this year? I think it might be just out of reach. There seem to be more games geared towards actual gamers in 2006 with Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, New Super Mario Bros., Children of Mana, Resident Evil Deadly Silence, Rune Factory, and maybe more announced at E3. This years sales are just crazy though. I don't think any system will ever match this year, or even December sales for the DS.

littlewig

Banned
Next year is going to be huge for the DS in Japan, mainly due to the fact that unlike this year, there will be plenty of titles released during the first half of the year that will push sales.

Brain Training 2 and the steady flow of third party games will push the DS in 2006 until the heavy hitters like Mario and Pokemon are released.

If Square-Enix can release FF3 in 2006, 2006 is going to outdo 2005.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Tony HoTT said:
What if we see a DS redesign by the end of 2006?

Its not a matter of IF but when.. but maybe they might hold off on it for a while since the current one is doing so well.

GhaleonEB

VOOK said:
Its not a matter of IF but when.. but maybe they might hold off on it for a while since the current one is doing so well.

Seems like the kind of thing you would want to do during a traditionally slow period to spark sales. Perhaps an E3 reveal?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Don't really want to wade through 13 pages of threads, but next week is supposedly the BIG week in terms of sales right?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
BuzzJive said:
Have we already laughed about how the DS sold more in 1 week than the Xbox and Xbox 360 combined LTD's? I don't think I want to go all the way back through the thread - but it does seem worth pointing out :)

I haven't read the whole thread, but... yer kidding, right?

koam

BuzzJive said:

I mentioned it at some point :)

BorkBork said:
Don't really want to wade through 13 pages of threads, but next week is supposedly the BIG week in terms of sales right?

No, next week will be way down... I was out shopping today and the two malls I went to were ghost towns... Everyone is back with their families out in the sticks, wearing their kimonos and ringing bells, waiting for new year.

donny2112

Stopsign said:
So what are next years predictions for the DS in Japan? Better than this year? I think it might be just out of reach.

Remember how the DS was selling before Nintendogs and Brain Training? This year's DS sales are most definitely not out of reach for the DS next year. :)

marvelharvey said:
No, next week will be way down... I was out shopping today and the two malls I went to were ghost towns... Everyone is back with their families out in the sticks, wearing their kimonos and ringing bells, waiting for new year.
I envy you.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
koam said:
I mentioned it at some point :)

You're telling me that the Xbox and Xbox 360's combined total sales in Japan aren't even the 600,000 or so the DS sold in ONE FUCKING week?

mj1108

Mejilan said:
You're telling me that the Xbox and Xbox 360's combined total sales in Japan aren't even the 600,000 or so the DS sold in ONE FUCKING week?

That's right. Nintendo did in one week with one system more than what MS has done in nearly 4 years with 2 systems.

Dalthien

AniHawk said:
I wonder if Microsoft will sell their initial shipment of 360s in Japan.
If their sales pattern for the 360 is similar to the orignal Xbox, and considering that their launch week was about 1/3 of the first Xbox - 150,000 LTD might be about right. It's astonishing to think about that as I'm sitting here actually typing it out.

apotema

Can someone make the "Ultimate Poor PSP pic" ???

It should have the "Poor PSP" Text......., Iwatas head should be KK and Miyamotos head could be a Nintendog or the Brain Trainer....... then, both should have Santa Hats........and add in any place of the pic an easter egg!!!!!!

On topic, great sales for Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Brain Training, Tamagotchi and Kingdom Hearts

Yamauchi must be rejoicing in the Cryogenic center

AniHawk

apotema said:
Can someone make the "Ultimate Poor PSP pic" ???

It should have the "Poor PSP" Text......., Iwatas head should be KK and Miyamotos head could be a Nintendog or the Brain Trainer....... then, both should have Santa Hats........and add in any place of the pic an easter egg!!!!!!

I only have this:

Untitled-1.jpg

cvxfreak

Were Famitsu numbers ever revealed for either last week or this week?

Would like to see the larger scope of sales for these last few weeks.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
CVXFREAK said:
Here they are! :)

Oideyo Doubutsu no Mori - 431,000 / 1,263,000

And system totals:

platform this week last week 2005 total 02 – 05 LTD
1 Nintendo DS 597,628 408,770 3,761,175 5,256,771
2 PSP 161,332 95,689 2,089,869 2,572,221
3 PlayStation 2 97,475 55,342 1,890,200 11,295,406
4 GameCube 36,646 17,849 260,601 3,143,741
5 GameBoy Advance SP 35,764 19,098 680,264 5,675,317
6 Game Boy micro 19,261 14,432 403,854 403,854
7 Xbox360 5,674 8,623 58,267 58,267
8 Gameboy Advance 906 416 24,733 4,553,111
9 Xbox 141 182 11,895 472,330

DS < 600K = bomba :(

Oblivion said:
DS < 600K = bomba :(

Crazy...in barely over a year the DS has almost half of the PS2 sales in Japan. It's already outsold the GBA and will pass the SP next week. INCREDIBLE.

Also, while MC doesn't have 2001's numbers for Gamecube, the PSP is approaching it's numbers as well.

Handhelds FTW!

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
I wonder if Microsoft will sell their initial shipment of 360s in Japan.
Consider this...

IIRC, Xbox 1 still hasn't sold out it's initial shipment.

DS has some huge Decembers. Here's a silly chart. It shows the DS and PSP lifetime sales since launch... but for DS I've left out any weeks that don't begin in December.
(Well, it includes the week of November 29, 2004... but DS didn't launch until the December portion of that week.)

20051230dspspdec.png

Stopsign said:
So what are next years predictions for the DS in Japan? Better than this year?
I don't think anyone would've guessed this last year, and I don't think anyone can very well guess what will be going on next year. However, I doubt DS will have the slow period like it did in early 2005, so it could have a less impressive holiday spike and still end up with higher sales for the year.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Crazy...in barely over a year the DS has almost half of the PS2 sales in Japan. It's already outsold the GBA and will pass the SP next week. INCREDIBLE.

Also, while MC doesn't have 2001's numbers for Gamecube, the PSP is approaching it's numbers as well.

Handhelds FTW!
Though in your second paragraph you point out that there are 2001 numbers missing for GCN, you seem to have missed in your first paragraph that GBA is also missing 2001. PS2 is missing 2001 and 2000.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Though in your second paragraph you point out that there are 2001 numbers missing for GCN, you seem to have missed in your first paragraph that GBA is also missing 2001. PS2 is missing 2001 and 2000.

Ahh, oops. I wasn't aware that there were no MC #s at all from 2000/2001, I only had heard about the Gamecube's. I just kinda figured it didn't get tracked until the new year, but that wouldn't make much sense. My bad. :)

cvxfreak

I find it hard to believe that not one person kept track of Media Create before 2002. There has to be someone, US or Japan or wherever.

Zen

Banned
- Yoshihori Maruyama, the general manager of Microsoft Game Studio in Japan, said he does not consider the first two day sales of Xbox 360 under any circumstances bad; since Microsoft and third parties still have a lot of games to offer, which customers have large interests. Xbox 360 sold approximately 60,000 units in the first two days of launch in Japan.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

Keep living in the dream boys. :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
Zen said:
- Yoshihori Maruyama, the general manager of Microsoft Game Studio in Japan, said he does not consider the first two day sales of Xbox 360 under any circumstances bad; since Microsoft and third parties still have a lot of games to offer, which customers have large interests. Xbox 360 sold approximately 60,000 units in the first two days of launch in Japan.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

Keep living in the dream boys. :lol

I wonder how long it'll be before they windowseat that guy?

Rock_Man

CVXFREAK said:
I find it hard to believe that not one person kept track of Media Create before 2002. There has to be someone, US or Japan or wherever.

Media Create sometimes refer to 2002 (perhaps 2001) as the first year, ie they didn´t count games before that year.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
quetz67 said:
What do you guys think they paid Mistwalker? About $50 million?

At least. Seriously, MS should just give up Japan and focus everywhere else. Unless they get every major Japanese license to be Xbox exclusive for the next 10 years, they're gonna only sell 100k within its lifetime.

mutsu

Oblivion said:
At least. Seriously, MS should just give up Japan and focus everywhere else. Unless they get every major Japanese license to be Xbox exclusive for the next 10 years, they're gonna only sell 100k within its lifetime.

But the thing is Microsoft wants to win the console war, and they will never ever win it if they don't get support from Japanese developers.

This is obvious because imagine the PS2 without any Japanese developers, and only Western developers, there would be many AAA titles missing, thus making it much less attractive.

quetz67

Banned
mutsu said:
But the thing is Microsoft wants to win the console war, and they will never ever win it if they don't get support from Japanese developers.

This is obvious because imagine the PS2 without any Japanese developers, and only Western developers, there would be many AAA titles missing, thus making it much less attractive.
But it wont help, what good are 2 japanese RPGs on 360 when the PS3 gets 2 hundret (or thousand or dozen, whatever)

cvxfreak

Rock_Man said:
Media Create sometimes refer to 2002 (perhaps 2001) as the first year, ie they didn´t count games before that year.

That can't be, they always referred to sales data from previous years before that when talking about sequel titles.

Rock_Man

CVXFREAK said:
That can't be, they always referred to sales data from previous years before that when talking about sequel titles.

Maybe they didn´t do it to this extent before?
Now I´m not sure about it though, I may remember wrong.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
CVXFREAK said:
Japanese LTD sales:

1.Playstation 2 19 753 674
2.Game Boy Advance 9 619 306
3.Game Boy Advance SP 5 675 226
4.Nintendo DS 5 256 771
5.Gamecube 4 286 241
6.PSP 2 572 121
7.Xbox 473 077
8.Game Boy micro 403 854
9.Xbox 360 58 267

20. Monster Hunter Portable - 43.000
22. Katamari Damacy - 36.000
45. Devil Summoner - 13.000
48. Geki Sengoku Musou - 13.000
50. Minna no Golf (The Best) - 12.000

:)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Top 5 PSP games generated 117K sales in a Christmas period. O_O
Something is just wrong, as if people mainly buy the PSP for its multimedia capabilities. As Sony needs big software sales to overcome their hardware sold at loss and their usually huge marketing campaigns, I'm wondering if they are not facing a serious crisis :-/

Link1110

YTD / LTD
DS - 3,761,175 / 5,256,771
PSP - 2,089,969 / 2,572,221
DS Lead - 1,671,206 / 2,684,550

It's official. DS has doubled PSP.

quetz67

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Top 5 PSP games generated 117K sales in a Christmas period. O_O
Something is just wrong, as if people mainly buy the PSP for its multimedia capabilities. As Sony needs big software sales to overcome their hardware sold at loss and their usually huge marketing campaigns, I'm wondering if they are not facing a serious crisis :-/
I hate to say this but I think Sony is in for the long run. Who expected something like N64 vs. Playstation was sure in for a disappointment. The PSP lacks more killer apps but in general I think it sells fine for the price and movie UMDs seem to sell quite hot.

I am sure the PSP will technically still compete with the next gameboy iteration and they can release updated versions with HDD but the same general specs. And when we see some more killer apps that really use the hardware they can still give the unit a boost opening up the 333Mhz.

I dont think Sony will beat Nintendo in the handheld market anytime soon, but I think the PSP will be quite a (financially) successfull machine.

Top Bottom