• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Thread: Week 42, 2017 (Oct 16 Oct 22) [READ INTRO, please!]

Orgen

Good job and thanks for creating this topic PantsuJo!

Nice debut for Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary. While a far cry from what the series did on PS2 and DS, it managed to sell more than its previous entry on Wii. Hopefully it'll top 100K total.

Didn't the Wii version have pretty good legs? What was the LTD?

Yagami_Sama

Thanks for this thread. This is one my favorite things here on NeoGaf, and I was thinking that this thread will be gone.

Deku89

4jSGNHU.png

Celine

211K per Famitsu.
Excellent legs, best the series has ever experienced.
Overall Itadaki Street, just like Momotaro Dentetsu, is known for to be a casual friendly franchise.

Kid Ying

Thanks for the thread, Pantsujo. You are doing a great job. :)

I'm quite happy with kyoei Toshi reception. Wasn't expecting for it to be above evil within. That game surely deserves it. They should do an Evangelion impacts DLC.

Probably the first MC thread i post on, even though i always lurked the previous ones.
Good job OP, thanks for not letting this one die. :)

P.S. - XB1 selling more than PS3 and WiiU.

PantsuJo

Check Vita too. The numbers you're currently using also include Vita TV (PlayStation TV) sales instead of just the individual handheld sales.

Fixed, thanks again for the help... and sorry again :p It seems that my PSV data was exceeding of 188.986 units (PS TVs)

Shin

Banned
Good job OP.
PS4 slightly outsold Switch, 1-6 are all PS4/PSV titles not a bad week for Sony camp.

Switch vs 3DS
switch.jpg

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |    Nintendo 3DS   |   Nintendo Switch |  Difference  | 
|    |    (2011/02/26)   |    (2017/03/03)   |              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   NSW - 3DS  | 
|  32|   58.504|1.964.105|   38.204|1.822.388|      -141.717|
|  33|   53.540|2.017.645|   40.803|1.863.191|      -154.454|
|  34|   55.025|2.072.670|   31.092|1.894.283|      -178.387|
|  35|   73.933|2.146.603|         |         |              |
|  36|   65.041|2.211.644|         |         |              |
|  37|  145.271|2.356.915|         |         |              |
|  38|  103.962|2.460.877|         |         |              |
|  39|   96.219|2.557.096|         |         |              |
|  40|  120.920|2.678.016|         |         |              |
|  41|  205.962|2.883.978|         |         |              |
|  42|  350.321|3.234.299|         |         |              |
|  43|  367.691|3.601.990|         |         |              |

PS4 vs PS3
ps4.jpg

Code:
|    |   PlayStation 3   |   PlayStation 4   |  Difference  | 
|    |    (2006/11/11)   |    (2014/02/22)   |              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   PS4 - PS3  | 
| 190|   19.578|5.237.615|   22.549|5.406.727|       169.112|
| 191|   20.077|5.257.692|   22.706|5.429.433|       171.741|
| 192|   18.345|5.276.037|   31.278|5.460.711|       184.674|
| 193|   19.473|5.295.510|         |         |              |
| 194|   19.420|5.314.930|         |         |              |
| 195|   45.224|5.360.154|         |         |              |
| 196|   28.630|5.388.784|         |         |              |
| 197|   33.057|5.421.841|         |         |              |
| 198|   29.433|5.451.274|         |         |              |
| 199|   25.053|5.476.327|         |         |              |
| 200|   22.227|5.498.554|         |         |              |
| 201|   19.907|5.518.461|         |         |              |

MK8 DX vs MK8
kart.jpg

Code:
|    |   Mario Kart 8    |  Mario Kart 8 DX  |  Difference  | 
|    | [WIU] (2014/05/29)| [NSW] (2017/04/28)|              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | MK8DX – MK8  | 
| 24 |    3.210|  699.588|   13.392|  734.133|        34.545|
| 25 |   13.544|  713.132|   13.321|  747.454|        34.322|
| 26 |    8.752|  721.884|   11.142|  758.597|        36.713|
| 27 |   12.742|  734.626|         |         |              |
| 28 |   19.244|  753.870|         |         |              |
| 29 |   24.938|  778.808|         |         |              |
| 30 |   34.331|  813.139|         |         |              |
| 31 |   38.637|  851.776|         |         |              |
| 32 |   28.403|  880.180|         |         |              |
| 33 |    8.884|  889.064|         |         |              |
| 34 |    6.915|  895.979|         |         |              |
| 35 |    5.386|  901.365|         |         |              |

Switch vs Wii U (Total Sales)
wiiu.jpg

PS4 vs PSV (Total Sales)
vita.jpg

hiska-kun thank you for still doing this I was so worried, this is the best part of media create.

Lucumo

211K per Famitsu.
Overall Itadaki Street, just like Momotaro Dentetsu, is known for to be a casual friendly franchise.
Despite my heavy dislike for Square Enix, I hope this game does well. It's pretty entertaining to watch (and would probably also be entertaining to play), pretty much the same as the Momotaro Dentetsu series.
(And being a fan of board games, it's hard to not like games like those.)

I'm quite happy with kyoei Toshi reception. Wasn't expecting for it to be above evil within. That game surely deserves it. They should do an Evangelion impacts DLC.
Oh, just read that it's a spiritual successor of Disaster Report. Watched a bit of gameplay but from what I've seen, the technical performance of the game doesn't seem to be too good, FPS drops and all.

mao2

211K per Famitsu.
I was only comparing first week numbers. Didn't know that Wii version had such great legs though. :O

Tadaima

Starting from next week, we should have Chris-style threads again posted promptly after numbers are released. Nothing can compete against his database for historical data, but I have been working on a script which is able to parse the latest numbers in combination with data which has been previously posted to GAF.

It is currently missing two crucial things, which I hope can be resolved with the help of the community:

• Romaji game names:
I have tried looking into various sources for this but cannot find anything reliable. We need to take a Japanese name (such as "グランツーリスモSPORT(限定版、同梱版含む)") and convert it into its romaji or English equivalent. An API, JSON/CSV, or consistent format would be great. The alternative is manually inputting game names (possibly in advance) which is not ideal as it will lead to delays in creating the thread. Any suggestions?

• Software weekly total:
I can't figure out where Chris is getting this from. Perhaps it might be best to reach out to him for this metric. I am not in contact with him so I would appreciate if somebody could.

Apart from those roadblocks, things are coming along. The next step is to integrate with past sales data posted here on GAF to get hardware LTD numbers, previous positions, etc.

I haven't posted all that much in the sales threads so you might not recognise me, but I have read and analysed weekly for over a decade. I have been meaning to create a sales data archive of my own for a while and I don't want there to be any sacrifices made to these threads, so I hope to keeping things ticking along without interruption.

Thanks for your hard work this week, PantsuJo.

Not the best launch for GT Sport, but considering its more enthusiast slant I think these numbers are fine. Curious to hear what Sony’s expectations were for this iteration though, and as a GaaS to see the legs it will have.

Wonder if Odyssey will usurp Splatoon’s launch numbers as well. Switch seems to be doing pretty solid, and some of the legs on titles like 1, 2 Switch are quite impressive.

Tadaima

Ōkami;252846943 said:
Software totals are posted on the MC site with the full top 50.

Sorry, but do you mind pointing me to them?

To clarify, I don't mean the units per software, but the cumulative weekly total.

vala

I wonder if Tango is developing a new game directed by Mikami. If not, they're probably in trouble, since TEW 2 is not selling very well...

Steam numbers:
86,424 ± 8,883

lyrick

• Software weekly total:
I can't figure out where Chris is getting this from. Perhaps it might be best to reach out to him for this metric. I am not in contact with him so I would appreciate if somebody could.

from M-create site (last week)
https://www.m-create.com/ranking/ via google translate said:
The total number of software sales is 294,000. 90.62% compared with last week. As in previous week, in addition to the small sales scale of the new work, there was no title exceeding 20,000 weekly sales figures in the old work, so the total number sold was less than 300 thousand for the first time in about three and a half months. However, as the release of "Gran Turismo SPORT" on the next week and "Super Mario Odyssey" on the following weeks is on sale, the number of sales will be expected to bottom out and recover this week.  
 The total sales volume of hardware is 88,000. This week's ratio is 100.83%. The fluctuation of each hardware has remained only small with both increase and decrease, and as with software, the market lacks excitement. "PlayStation VR" which the new model was released sold 27 thousand units, the cumulative domestic sales volume exceeded 200 thousand with 217 thousand units. Due to the substantial expansion of dealers this time, it is the second largest after the launch week (52,000 units sold) for the same period last year.

Plainsong

Thanks for the continued update from the OP and hiska-kun. My favourite thread by far. I don't often comment but I am always fascinated by the numbers and graphs.

Can't wait to see those Mario numbers next week.

Well a new era for sales age; I won’t lie Chris’ was legendary and truly a golden period for discussing Japanese sales. We’ve gone through many changes over the years and it has required patience and dedication. Nice job OP, your effort is appreciated, and I look forward to growth as we move on.

Expected a bigger bump for PS4 but Itadaki did a lot better than I expected. Next week gon be good.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
LOL switch.. you better sell 150k this week...

Double standard. You should have said something similar about the PS4 this week... look at all the new games that came out.

If anything I think it's quite depressing. Videogames should be selling a lot more in Japan. This market was huge at one point.

Great job on the thread. I think it could be a small improvement to have cumulative sales of all single console sku into one table (ps4+pro, all 3DSes+2DS) and other table with separate ones.

Good job and thanks for creating this topic PantsuJo!

Nice debut for Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary. While a far cry from what the series did on PS2 and DS, it managed to sell more than its previous entry on Wii. Hopefully it'll top 100K total.

06./00. [WII] Itadaki Street Wii (Square Enix) {2011.12.01} (¥6.090) - 27.640 / NEW
4. (PSP, Square Enix) Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable - 48,342

Osukaa

Yes, this is the idea.

Also, everyone: thank you for your support and for understanding, it's my first big thread here and I'm a bit excited :)

PantsuJo is the hero we needed and deserved lol . Thank you so much like others have said its noice to have something back that we took for granted. If we ever cross paths i'll buy you a Coke lol.

Double standard. You should have said something similar about the PS4 this week... look at all the new games that came out.

If anything I think it's quite depressing. Videogames should be selling a lot more in Japan. This market was huge at one point.

LOL. I know PS4 can't even sell 100k with a new mainline Dragon Quest.

I know Nintendo can sell 150k next week if they ship enough consoles.. I am also expecting over 50k for Splatoon at least.

lyrick

OP, thanks for creating the thread. I think it's better to group the 3DS family HW numbers together.

I do think that it paints an entirely different pictures when doing it this way.

Note that by only including (uniquely named) hardware revisions that were on the market this year causes a drop of ~17M sales from the 3DS family, and makes the Vita (sans PSTVs 189K? units) appear like it was much more competitive than it really was in the handheld space.

Although they're not being tracked anymore
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| PSVTV |            |            |            |            |           |     185.452 |
| 3DSLL |            |            |            |            |           |   6.956.405 |
|  3DS  |            |            |            |            |           |  10.006.736 |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
these really shouldn't get lost in the fold

Kid Ying

Despite my heavy dislike for Square Enix, I hope this game does well. It's pretty entertaining to watch (and would probably also be entertaining to play), pretty much the same as the Momotaro Dentetsu series.
(And being a fan of board games, it's hard to not like games like those.)

Oh, just read that it's a spiritual successor of Disaster Report. Watched a bit of gameplay but from what I've seen, the technical performance of the game doesn't seem to be too good, FPS drops and all.
What a bummer. Ive had problems with disaster report before, but it's always sad to see. Expected though. Even the trailers ran bad.

I love the Idea of the game though. I think it's a genius one. Even with perfomance issues i Will still try.

fahr

Thanks for keeping this tradition going OP! I have a request:

Can you include the percent change in sales from the previous week for each game? I always foumd that to be extremely interesting data week-to-week.

Thanks!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
He's waiting for things to calm down and will then decide where to go or stay.

I don't really care for the whole situation that has occured but since I'm a sales guy I'll go to the place where there is a similar audience and right now almost the entire sales community has moved away. It wasn't my intention to abandon NeoGAF anytime soon and certainly not with this way but with current circumstances it's very difficult to keep participating since I focus only to a one forum.

Since almost all with experience to create a Media Create thread have left I understand it will be difficult for someone new to offer a smooth transition and it will need a lot of patience but if there is willing there will be found a good solution sooner or later.

This will be the last post from me here, to those who will continue I wish good luck.

Top Bottom