• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create weekly sales October 24 ~ 30

Dark Age Iron Savior said:

No idea why, but I haven`t seen any new stock arrive in my local game shops since Gunstar`s release. And these shops pretty much sold within two days... lots of lost sales there I think.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Man I just realized how small the gap is between the DS and PSP+PS2 combined o_O That's pretty insane.

So, the GBM bombed total?
I think it is doing "ok". The install base for gba is already huge and the micro is helping in keeping the platform alive. It certainly isn't the "next big thing" by any means. That would be ironic anyways.

Not really, overall GBA sales are up since the release of the Micro in Japan.

Understand, GB Micro is just at this stage printing money for Nintendo. They make a hefty profit selling the same handheld they released basically four years ago ... just in a different casing, so anything the GBA SP + Micro are giving Nintendo at this point is a bonus for Nintendo on top of DS.

Keep in mind, Japan does not support older platforms as much as North America does.

Case in point -- PSOne sales basically died after the PS2 came out, but in North America the PSOne continued to sell big numbers into 2000/2001.

DS sales are ridiculous. Holiday rush sales are going to be unbelievable for the DS over there.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DCharlie said:
not been monitoring, but hasn't it been selling okay? i don't think "bomb" is quite right anyways...
It's LTD is up to 318,690 but it's sold less every week since it's been released.

YTD / LTD
DS - 1,984,276 / 3,479,872
PSP - 1,483,857 / 1,966,109
DS Lead - 500,419 / 1,513,763

And for those wondering, Sega's Brain Training on the PSP was ranked 11th this week.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Die Squirrel Die said:
Well the GBM only came out this year so it's the same thing at the moment.

Oh, sorry. I thought he meant the entire GBA line.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
I wasn't expacting much from the GBM in the first place. I think it's retro look and the release of SMB helped alot, but the DS is probably worth the little extra, plays GBA games and has a healthier release schedule.

Kind of surprised to see the blip in PSP sales. Hasn't had a big release in a while...

AniHawk

jamesinclair said:
Come to think about it, Ninja Gaiden Black has given the Xbox tons of momentum. It hasnt been below 100 since that game came out.

But BW sucks. It's not like AWDS gave the DS any boost.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
AniHawk said:
But BW sucks. It's not like AWDS gave the DS any boost.
It might have not been noticable because DS sales were so high anyways. While we are talking a 100% sales increase, that is still just 1k units.

AniHawk

Touhoku Daigaku Mirai Kagaku Gijutsu Kyoudou Kenkyuu Center Kawashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu: Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training is releasing on 12/29/05

Same with Mario & Luigi 2

Mario Kart DS is on 12/08/05

AC is on 11/23/05

There's a Pokemon game on the 17th and three more Brain Trainings by Interchannel a week later.

I dunno, I suck at reading Japanese.

fresquito

AniHawk said:
Touhoku Daigaku Mirai Kagaku Gijutsu Kyoudou Kenkyuu Center Kawashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu: Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training is releasing on 12/29/05

Same with Mario & Luigi 2

Mario Kart DS is on 12/08/05

AC is on 11/23/05

There's a Pokemon game on the 17th and three more Brain Trainings by Interchannel a week later.

I dunno, I suck at reading Japanese.
Thanks ^_^

Culex

Banned
Wooo, DS lead this year is half a million. Officially broke the 1.5 million LTD lead, too.

DS has now lead for 28 consecutive weeks, gaining 635,172 units over the PSP during that timeframe.

I never would have seen this coming 7 months ago.

Deku

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
DS still going strong. It's going to get crazy when Mario Kart and Animal Crossing come out. Nintendo is going to bring online gaming to the Japanese in masses.

Square-Enix already did that, if by 'masses' you mean the large minority of Japanese people who are gamers and who buy this kind of thing.

But yeah, DS should easily coast through 4 million LTD in Japan by Christmas.

AniHawk

Deku said:
Square-Enix already did that, if by 'masses' you mean the large minority of Japanese people who are gamers and who buy this kind of thing.

FFXI wasn't free, and Nintendo's opening 1000 hotspots across the nation.

Culex

Banned
I've updated my chart again.

JPHandheldWar.jpg

I'm going to keep the current scale, since holiday sales should be quite high for both the PSP and DS.

Fuzzy

Culex said:

JPHandheldWar.jpg

I'm going to keep the current scale, since holiday sales should be quite high for both the PSP and DS.
Maybe you should change the "Nintendogs" label to "Nintendogs/New DS colours". Same with Jump.

Deku

Banned
AniHawk said:
FFXI wasn't free, and Nintendo's opening 1000 hotspots across the nation.

Free is good, it's best. Especially since its a Nintendo service and not a half-assed score tracking upload server, but actually a matchmaking service.

I'm just saying in terms of market penetration Nintendo's wi-fi won't be the first massive internet game. Square-Enix has a Asia only 2D on-line rpg out, there's also ragnarok , both of which have large numbers of users.

heavenly

They're releasing the Brain Training sequel too early. Let the other 2 hit their stride during the holidays, which they should. Next year, maybe around...um...Easter :D , is when they should release it.

Memles

heavenly said:
They're releasing the Brain Training sequel too early. Let the other 2 hit their stride during the holidays, which they should. Next year, maybe around...um...Easter :D , is when they should release it.

That's Super Mario Bros.'s spot!

Releasing a new brain training after Christmas is a smart move, there is enough differences in the titles to buy them all.

Fuzzy

The notes.

Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 670,732 units, 106.26% of last week's total and 89.08% of the weekly average.

Twenty new releases took spots in the top 100, accounting for 44.47% of sales. Top-ranked "Shadow of the Colossus" followed by "Battalion Wars," "Ultraman Fighting Evolution Rebirth" and "Eureka Seven TR1: New Wave" entered the top 10 and boosted the market.

Sales of "Shadow of the Colossus" amounted to approximately 140,000 units. The title got off to a strong start with an absorption rate of 78.49%, and this may have been partly because the production team of "ICO," which many call a masterpiece, was involved in the title. To what extent "Shadow of the Colossus" can close in on the results of "ICO," which has sold a total of approximately 209,000 units (including the Best edition), will be something to watch in the future.
SotC sold 2/3's of what Ico sold LTD in one week. I knew it did well compared to Ico but I didn't know it did that well.

Very good DS numbers, they will go crazy during christmas :)

I think we could easily see an installed base of 4.5 million DS in Japan at the end of the year!

@Culex Really, really nice chart.

Jiggy

I'm trying to figure out how Battalion Wars did so well there, and the only thing I can come up with is that maybe it has low-level foreign appeal to the Japanese because it's Western...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Frankfurter said:
Very good DS numbers, they will go crazy during christmas :)

I think we could easily see an installed base of 4.5 million DS in Japan at the end of the year!

@Culex Really, really nice chart.

Heh, how long before you think the DS passes the overall GC installed base, or even the GBA one in Japan?

Fuzzy

John Harker said:
Heh, how long before you think the DS passes the overall GC installed base, or even the GBA one in Japan?
Well the DS is only about 400K behind the GCN LTD so it should pass it before the end of the year. The DS is just over 11 million behind the GBA (all versions) so it'll be a lot longer.

Apenheul

Culex said:

JPHandheldWar.jpg

Just wanted to say 'great work Culex'. so:

great work Culex

donny2112

John Harker said:

The numbers I found for GCN and GBA put them about 3.8 million and 16 million respectively LTD in Japan. Therefore the DS will probably pass the GCN by the end of this year. The GBA is a looong ways off. ;-)

Edit: What Fuzzy said. :)

Top Bottom