• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create weekly sales

Aehm :lol

DS' sales went UP!? Wtf!? I mean... Ouendan more or less bombed, so there wasn't that much software to get..., and the week before there were 2 new games in the Top 10 and another about Ouendan range and JSS releases on 8/8!? :lol
Can anybody explain why numbers went up, when there was no real new software but JSS releases not much later?

mutsu

Frankfurter said:
Aehm :lol

DS' sales went UP!? Wtf!? I mean... Ouendan more or less bombed, so there wasn't that much software to get..., and the week before there were 2 new games in the Top 10 and another about Ouendan range and JSS releases on 8/8!? :lol
Can anybody explain why numbers went up, when there was no real new software but JSS releases not much later?

As I have explained, Brain Training DS, Yawaraka Atama Juku and Nintendogs alone are pushing the sales of the DS each week.

You don't see it on these charts, but Nintendogs all three versions combined still sells around 15K each week, according to Famitsu's charts.

jarrod

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I just realised Pac'n'Roll didn't even make the top 50.
Namco projected sales of 100,000.
Oops.
Even stranger given that Pac-Pix managed 90k+. Maybe Pac'n Roll will climb over time? :/

Rock_Man

hwmay-july.JPG

swmay-july.JPG

Culex

Banned
That chart is showing an ever-increasing trend of the PSP declining in sales. Meanwhile, the DS is gaining and gaining, and the new color/Jump Super Stars aren't "officially" out yet.

Strange, how the exact opposite is true in the US right now.

Culex said:
Strange, how the exact opposite is true in the US right now.

PSP software was only about 200,000 above DS software for the month of June in the U.S.

I think the DS's software sells at least 60,000 more than the PSP's a week, especially a couple weeks ago when Yu-Gi-Oh, Battle Network 5, and FullMetal Alchemist all hit along with the DS Brain Training games and their legs.

Hey gang. I haven't put charts or useless statistics in one of these threads for over a month. Mostly because the weekly numbers and rankings have remained so consistent, there really hasn't been much of interest to say. However, the combined past 5 weeks as a whole have made for some pretty interesting changes.

Just between the DS/PSP, the DS's total share was 63.4% to PSP's 36.6%. However, since DS has been doing even better than that recently, it's now nudged up a bit to 63.6% against 36.4%. The've both remained in the 63.something and 36.something range since the week of April 4, though.

Nearly 1K Xboxen sold. Nearly 2K GBA sold. Nearly 14K GCN have sold. Over 56K GBASP sold. Nearly 103K PSP sold. Over 148K PS2 sold. Nearly 199K DS sold.

Thanks to those DS sales, Nintendo hardware has outsold Sony hardware, though the change in YTD shares is pretty minor (from 56.8/43.0/0.2 to 55.7/44.1/0.2).

If DS were to continue selling 40,000 units a week, it would hit 3 million within 7 weeks. If PSP continues selling 21,000 units a week, it will hit 2 million within 21 weeks.

5 weeks ago the "If DS stopped selling" date for PSP to catch up was June 20, 2006. Now it is September 12, 2006.

My first chart is pretty standard: YTD numbers.

20050805mediacreateytd.gif

Then I decided to return to an idea from a few months back. I decided to match up the DS's worst week to the PSP's worst week, and so on. At the time since DS had the lowest weeks overall it was the loser in the low parts of the chart and the winner on the high end. Things have changed quite a bit, though there are still a few parts where PSP remains ahead.

Then:
20050526dspspworstworst.gif

Now:
20050805dspspworstworst.gif

Are the Castlevania games big in Japan? I mean--I know the console versions sell like shit but what about the handheld iterations?

The upcoming Castlevania DS could maybe spark another boost in DS sales.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
For those who didn't go to MC's English page to read the notes on the weekly sales,
Total sales for the top 100 titles stood at 1,303,525 units. "Super Robot Wars Alpha 3" was a driving force in the market, boosting figures to 176.96% of last week's level and 174.92% of the weekly average. An upsurge in sales suggestive of the summer sales rush is finally underway.

First-week sales of "Super Robot Wars Alpha 3" totaled approximately 470,000 units. This solid start saw first-week sales surpass those of the previous title "Super Robot Wars MX" (385,000 units). Attention should be placed on future trends of this title.

Twenty-six new releases ranked among the top 100 titles, with new titles taking up a share of 68.93%. "Super Robot Wars Alpha 3" stood out in first place, and other titles including "Let's make professional baseball teams! 3" (about 58,000 units), "Shadow Hearts: From the New World" (about 52,000 units) and "KAIDO: Touge no Densetsu" (about 52,000 units) also delivered good sales performances. There were relatively many titles that sold between 10,000 and 50,000 units, and it appears that a revitalization of the market for new titles led to a revitalization of the market overall.

Top Bottom