• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule co-founder Alex Evans steps down

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After 13 years at the LittleBigPlanet and Dreams developer, the technical director said on Twitter that he wanted to take a break from game development, and explore other opportunities.

"A few months ago I did a bit of lockdown-inspired soul searching and decided to step down from 'Dreams dev' to 'Dreams fan' -- take a break from gamedev, a career I've been lucky enough to enjoy since I was a spotty 15-year-old," his tweets read.

"[Media Molecule] is a wonderful place, I can't imagine making games anywhere else; but I wondered what else an old fart like me could do in this world? I've been in the gamedev bubble so long I'm not yet sure what's next, or even out there, for someone like me."

He also reassured Dreams' fans about the title, with his departure seemingly having no impact on the current developments of the project.

"For anyone worrying about Dreams -- don't!," Evans continued. "What [Media Molecule] are doing on Dreams [at the moment] is gonna blow your minds and though I'll miss them all, I'll be cheering from the sidelines! Thanks to them for the first 13 wonderful years and here's to [Media Molecule's] next 13!"

The studio responded on Twitter, thanking Evans for his "leadership, friendship and everything [he's] given to Media Molecule." The team added: "We'll continue to be as weird and wonderful as you've always wanted, and there's forever a space on our stream sofa for you."

CM5jcv0.jpg

I’m happy for him, doing the same thing for 13 years is not for everyone and accepting this is part of branching out to do something new. His legacy lives with Media Molecule.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Devs should definitely take time away and do something else if they are feeling burned out. Gaming isn't going anywhere when they want to come back

Cory Barlog left the industry for years then came back and made a GOTG contender

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Lbp was floaty as fuck.
Dreams is wel wtf is dreams besides play shitty copies of good games?

Kerotan

?!?
The game will be patched for ps5 and its going to continue there. WTF are you going on about?
Is everything a conspiracy theory with you?
He's just saying the dude has spent like 7 years making a single game. That must be tiring and it's understable if he needs time off/career change.

Top Bottom