• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule Is Hiring For A Live Service Game

Aenima

Dreams dont go anywhere untill they make the game free and add monetization options to support the content creators. Getting the game on PC would also help as long PS and PC players had access to the same shared content.

reksveks

I was going to say Dream is kinda live service but it just seems to be rather stale from the outside in terms of updates.

Could be wrong cause I don't really pay attention to Dreams and any of its competitors.

Kenpachii

Dream should have been on PC to start with, them ignoring the platform completely kinda killed its potential. Still not sure why anybody would care about dreams tho, why spend time making a game in dreams and not be able to sell it. Better just start making a actual game and sell it and get rich from it.

The whole idea they pushed with dreams and it being this absolute juggernaut of a thing that will last forever, was always laughable. It's like if people want to make free content, they will do it on PC in any of the games that allow it like minecraft. No need for a "game maker".

Dream 2 would also be a bad idea as it fragments the tiny group of people it already has, this never works. It needs to be a free update while at it. On top of it, why pay money for a game maker when u can just get a real game maker that's free. it's just so weird.

Topher

Gold Member
I was going to say Dream is kinda live service but it just seems to be rather stale from the outside in terms of updates.

Could be wrong cause I don't really pay attention to Dreams and any of its competitors.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Dreams has been live service ever since Little Big Planet. And for all of PlayStation's push to putting their games on PC, the stuff Dreams makes would thrive the most there. Stuff Dreams does isn't my thing, but I can imagine a huge community on PC and yet still stuck on console?

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Being the obvious moves didn't help those ports so far.
Not sure what you mean, but so far God of War and Spider-Man have done very well for being ports.

Don't think anyone really expected them to perform along the same lines as day one releases like The Witcher 3 or Red Dead 2. These are full-priced games released years after their initial console release. God of War is still 50 dollars on Steam. We'll see ultimately how well they do through their product life cycle. Spider-Man launched for 60 dollars and doesn't even include miles morales.
How about Dreams PS5? Maybe they're gonna relaunch it together with PSVR2.

But yeah, this is a game where a PC version does make ridiculous amounts of sense.
Not saying Dreams PS5 wouldn't happen, but you can already play Dreams on PS5, a PC version is to me a larger opportunity.

But as others have said they probably need to adjust their model as well.

ANIMAL1975

Just put Dreams in PC/Game Pass and monetize the shit out of it.
Yeah let's help the competition boost those numbers of their competitor games service...

I dunno.....money?
Put it on on Playstation plus and put psplus on pc. That's where the money is, not signing a contract with a competing games service to receive a percentage of profits.

I truly hate that Sony is going the gaas route. Really I do.
Little big planet, dreams, they are live service games, so that's what media molecule has been doing for years, it's not really a change of plans or related to the new wave of multiplayer games.

Not sure what you mean, but so far God of War and Spider-Man have done very well for being ports.

Don't think anyone really expected them to perform along the same lines as day one releases like The Witcher 3 or Red Dead 2. These are full-priced games released years after their initial console release. God of War is still 50 dollars on Steam. We'll see ultimately how well they do through their product life cycle. Spider-Man launched for 60 dollars and doesn't even include miles morales.
What I meant was that we still didn't get Dreams or Bloodborne despite the fact that they were the two ports that made the most sense, that's all. I think both of them appeal a lot more to the PC audience but Sony doesn't seem to think like that.

Last edited:
What I meant was that we still didn't get Dreams or Bloodborne despite the fact that they were the two ports that made the most sense, that's all. I think both of them appeal a lot more to the PC audience but Sony doesn't seem to think like that.

These things take time.

For Sony to remaster Bloodborne they'd need to get FromSoftware or Bluepoint to do it. Both studios have been busy.

I think we'll see it out of BluePoint now using the engine they made for Demons Souls.

When MM made Dreams, Sony had yet to pivot to a PC mindset and Dreams only came out in Feb 2020.

It took Day's Gone 2 years to get a PC release. I think we can expect Dreams within the next 12-18 months.

Bloodborne may take considerable time, depending on access to source code and devtools, but I guarantee you we see that on PC as well.

I truly hate that Sony is going the gaas route. Really I do.

Hate the industry as a whole then. The only reason sony got away with releasing so many single player games last gen is because nintendo and microsoft pretty much bowed out the console race early and left it wide open for sony to just push high quality whatever titles they wanted.

Sony would not survive the rest of this gen just putting out single player games. They cost a shit ton of money to make and they don’t sell enough to justify only making them. If Sony fans were as loyal as nintendo fans it wouldn’t be a problem, they could put out god of war and sell 16m copies a year like mario kart or pokemon, but it sells like 7m and then gets discounted and put on a service so its all diminishing returns after the first 3 months. Hardcore gamers don’t support single player gaming they just whine about it.

Multiplayer-service game is whats gonna propel sony further than they ever have been as far as a dominate gaming platform. It’s clear as day thats where the goldmine is for gaming right now, along with mobile. Casuals are the real gamers these days, not 30+ year old men crying about 10 dollar upgrades

Hate the industry as a whole then. The only reason sony got away with releasing so many single player games last gen is because nintendo and microsoft pretty much bowed out the console race early and left it wide open for sony to just push high quality whatever titles they wanted.

Sony would not survive the rest of this gen just putting out single player games. They cost a shit ton of money to make and they don’t sell enough to justify only making them. If Sony fans were as loyal as nintendo fans it wouldn’t be a problem, they could put out god of war and sell 16m copies a year like mario kart or pokemon, but it sells like 7m and then gets discounted and put on a service so its all diminishing returns after the first 3 months. Hardcore gamers don’t support single player gaming they just whine about it.

Multiplayer-service game is whats gonna propel sony further than they ever have been as far as a dominate gaming platform. It’s clear as day thats where the goldmine is for gaming right now, along with mobile. Casuals are the real gamers these days, not 30+ year old men crying about 10 dollar upgrades
Facts. I have no interest in GaaS for the most part.

Sony has been holding onto their pricing a lot more lately, but I think their polish is down a bit, which hurts.

Sony needs to make quality synonymous with their brand again. Where you know any game coming out of their studio is perfectly minted, not needing an extra 3-6 months of patching.

Even Insomniac who is really good at patching their games, can't escape market realities. They wanted MM for launch, but performance RT wasn't ready, so Performance RT got delayed to December and then patched again in July. Insomniac's dedication to the game though has been rewarded with the game having serious legs.

Holammer

Time for MM to actually make some money, so they don't get sent to the farm or taken behind the shed, pick your idiom.
Their only real contribution to Sony for a good decade was a bunch of neat Dreams E3 demos, until it actually released and face-planted.

A Little Big Planet title in a f2p GaaS environment could actually work. It wouldn't be much different from the regular games with all the DLC packs. All the ingredients are there for a neat Minecraft clone.

Time for MM to actually make some money, so they don't get sent to the farm or taken behind the shed, pick your idiom.
Their only real contribution to Sony for a good decade was a bunch of neat Dreams E3 demos, until it actually released and face-planted.

A Little Big Planet title in a f2p GaaS environment could actually work. It wouldn't be much different from the regular games with all the DLC packs. All the ingredients are there for a neat Minecraft clone.

I’d rather them just do something new. LBP IP isn’t that noteworthy anymore, especially with Astrobot kind of becoming the default mascot for playstation.

Usually I'm against live service games, in fact I avoid them immediately when hearing that, but the nature of MM's games make sense for such a model. With LBP and Dreams you're always hopping in to check out what's new from people, so this isn't exactly a change. Their main campaigns are usually an after thought. The community creations are where its at. Getting new features and creation options are always good. So long as they do it right, and don't nickel and dime us.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

Im not talking about sp or mp games but the fact it’s all going to be a service. Most likely for full priced games to top it off. But you are right, I am starting to hate the industry as a whole.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Porting Dreams to PC would be a waste of time and it would flop again. On PC if you want to dick around with making your own game you have way better options.

I hope their next game is a hit otherwise they have to be on the chopping block.

Last edited:
Porting Dreams to PC would be a waste of time and it would flop again. On PC if you want to dick around with making your own game you have way better options.

I hope their next game is a hit otherwise they have to be on the chopping block.

No way would it take putting out another non-performer for sony to shutter Media Molecule, they are probably the most talented studio they own. Also, i don’t think either platform holder are in the place to close studios with all of them vying for more content and IP. If sony want MM’s next game to succeed they will simply sell it better, package it with consoles, make it into a tv show or cartoon, give it a mobile tie-in.

At the end of the day even if Dreams wasn’t a huge seller, it still added much needed variety and prestige to sonys library. It won a bunch of awards and is one of their highest rated games in the last few years. In fact, Media Molecule has yet to put out a bad game for Sony, almost all their games are rated in the high 80’s and low 90’s.

I think Bend would be in more trouble for having another flop and even then they are one of Sonys oldest studios so not even.

Last edited:
yeah their next game is a live game for sure lol

Udl8QED.jpg
It seem that they are just talking about Dreams because i don't see how you maintened 80% creator retention on the platform over a 3 year period with an unannounced game.

It's not really strange to build a Live Service team for Dreams.

Top Bottom