• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule PS4 project – info

Stampy

Although there is not much of new information in Gameinformer article, it is still worth sharing…

- The main idea behind this project is to evolve “Play, Create, Share”, but without being limited by the existing LBP model

- Creation aspect will be broad, allowing music, movie, game creation…

- He makes it rather clear that this game is far from being a Move only experience (Although they see Move as being ideal for 3D creation, they will also try to look into alternative of using DS4 for sculpting. He also confirms that the idea is to be able to play created games with the DS4)

- It was pointed out that too many Move games are trying to replicate Wii, while with this project they will try to focus on precise movements, fully utilizing the potential of the Move controller

- He is aware that their message during the PS4 reveal left some people confused, so he once again confirms what was in fact rather clear from the demo: rock music part of the demo was purely incidental, but the purpose was to show how the animation creation works. The whole performance was real, no fake editing. He seems pretty confirmative how this technology brings to life emotions in the animated characters. Although he says that this game will probably be more than just a puppet game.

- He is not all that clear if this project will be an open creation software tool or whether they will try to fit it into a specific game framework

Skyzard

Banned
Oh yeah this game, totally forgot about it. Really did not leave a lasting impression after the PS4 reveal because they didn't really clarify what it was to me :S Seems more like just an engine atm. Ah it was called a tech demo...but still lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYY-J3ckeSI

This was what we saw in feb.

The sculpting looked amazing for sure, guess it's time to buy a move controller, nice that they are working on alternative controls though.

Stampy

I think in the first thread, Ploid 3 summarized it really nicely with pictures.

This is what I got from it.

Create a 3d model, a sculpture of sorts.
5561970636_a23984780e.jpg

Then bringing the creation to life, giving it a purpose, controlled character in this case. A character that animates, has a skeleton, something that can play a guitar and dance.
tumblr_lzt7gk6LU41qm6oc3o1_500.gif

Hmm probably too early to be worried, but something like Tearaway sounds much more appealing to my tastes. Sounds like the creation aspect will be even greater in the next game. It's cool that they do what they do.

sullytao

I can't wait to see more of this game. Even if it's just a set of tools to make movies and models, you know the community will design some breathtaking stuff within the first few days.

Skyzard

Banned

That really does look fun to me but I can imagine a lot of people not bothering, think they should definitely clarify this the next time we see the game:

OP said:
He is not all the clear if this project will be an open creation software tool or whether they will try to fit it into a specific game framework

If there isn't actual (real) gameplay, only designing, it will be amazing still for what it allows people to do but also seems like a wasted opportunity and would seem better suited to PS3 (changing demographic) than PS4 tbh, but for pushing innovation and tech etc it makes sense. If they pull it off and it captures mainstream I will be incredibly impressed. MM always have that chance but it never seems easy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It sounds like it's pretty early. Will probably be a while before we see this again. Idea is cool, I just hope they can build a game around it.

Stampy

If there isn't actual (real) gameplay, only designing, it will be amazing still for what it allows people to do but also seems like a wasted opportunity.

I believe it is certain we will have gameplay created by MM also. In the end, they are hiring a gameplay programmer for this project who can create "awesome, fun gameplay", but I guess they are debating whether they should stick primarily to one genre approach. For example, LBP was primarily a platformer. I don't think they want their next project to be limited with a specific type of genre gameplay.

Stampy

It sounds like it's pretty early. Will probably be a while before we see this again. Idea is cool, I just hope they can build a game around it.

Well considering that they are planning to create a game focusing on user generated content, I wonder would it even be beneficial to release the game in such an early stage of PS4 life? I think it's more beneficial to have it released when there is a larger initial user base to make the UGC aspect really come to life.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Well considering that they are planning to create a game focusing on user generated content, I wonder would it even be beneficial to release the game in such an early stage of PS4 life? I think it's more beneficial to have it released when there is a larger initial user base to make the UGC aspect really come to life.
It only takes a relative few creators for content to proliferate.

driver116

Take a stab in the dark, I'd guess: an evolution from LBP into full 3D, influenced by Minecraft maybe, design, sculpt your own enemies, vehicles etc.

Stampy

Making your own short animation movies & uploading right to youtube is going to be big.

Yep which probably confirms that voice recording will also be possible.

I really wonder how they will implement the camera control in a 3D created world. Will it be automatic but limited, or will the user have options, which will without doubt complicate things or make it somewhat twitchy. However they approach this, I believe both 1st and 3rd perspectives are granted.

Acheteedo

I think this could be really cool, but then again I actually thought the demo at the PS4 event was pretty cool too! I'm envisioning a toolset where you can construct full 3D environments for anyone to explore, a la minecraft, that sounds awesome to me.

That said, I thought Home was going to be huge... shows what I know :p

Hmm, thinking about it, I wish they could take this even more in the minecraft direction - make a procedurally generating world where you have to collect the resources to construct new objects, but you could make them into any shape using their creation engine. That would surely rope people in.

Skyzard

Banned
I believe it is certain we will have gameplay created by MM also. In the end, they are hiring a gameplay programmer for this project who can create "awesome, fun gameplay", but I guess they are debating whether they should stick primarily to one genre approach. For example, LBP was primarily a platformer. I don't think they want their next project to be limited with a specific type of genre gameplay.

Oh I see, in that case I definitely can't wait to see what they do with it but I do hope they're hiring more than one guy for gameplay ;) And also that the gameplay can still be deep enough.

Making your own short animation movies & uploading right to youtube is going to be big.

It could be if it was cheap and easy enough...but on a PS4? Bit worried.

Yeah...they need to find some people who can make interesting content as soon as the game is released so we don't have to worry about nothing good in piles of carp.

JJD

GI specifically asked if their game was some kind of puppet game and MM said that puppeteering is just one aspect of it, one way to animate the characters you create.

They are still not sure if they are doing a software creation kit or a game. Some people argued that they are doing both.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why do so many people have trouble understanding what MM showed? I really don't understand it. Do people REALLY think it's just an animation tool?! Please people, watch that demo again and listen to what he says. Jesus.

Laranja

Why, it's exactly what they were doing, only evolved. It's not like they are deviating from their basic approach.

I dunno.

I feel like they're focusing too much on the creative tools on the game, without ever talking about the things that make it a game. Is it even a game? I have no idea. I'm not saying this will suck, but every little piece of information about whatever they're working on for the PS4 just makes me go "meh."

Tearaway looks lovely, on the other hand. It might just be the game to sell me on a Vita.

It just doesn't sound like a game yet.

:-/

Hopefully someone will take the Little Big Planet franchise and make it into a great 3D platformer.

Stampy

Why do so many people have trouble understanding what MM showed? I really don't understand it. Do people REALLY think it's just an animation tool?! Please people, watch that demo again and listen to what he says. Jesus.

Hmm, if I didn't create in LBP, maybe I would have also been a bit unsure about their message, but with knowing what they did in their past games it was crystal clear...

Squire

Banned
They should rely just lean into this as creation software. Like Twine for PS4. The way things are going with indies that'd go over swimmingly, I'm sure.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They do understand but you have those who are the crying, agenda ridden vox populi

I'm not sure it's that clear cut. I've seen people and they do genuinely believe it's just a puppet game. What MM need to do now is show music creation and maybe, just maybe people will start joining the dots.

Drencrom

I dunno.

I feel like they're focusing too much on the creative tools on the game, without ever talking about the things that make it a game. Is it even a game? I have no idea. I'm not saying this will suck, but every little piece of information about whatever they're working on for the PS4 just makes me go "meh."

Tearaway looks lovely, on the other hand. It might just be the game to sell me on a Vita.

Well, we haven't seen the game yet so it's a bit premature. They probably just wanted to share the ideas they have for their new PS4 project at the showing in February.

DieH@rd

Banned
I still want Minecraft with this sculpting tech [+ Oculus Rift support]. Imagine the worlds created with it...

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not sure it's that clear cut. I've seen people and they do genuinely believe it's just a puppet game. What MM need to do now is show music creation and maybe, just maybe people will start joining the dots.

I believe people are genuinely not sure as well and it doesn't just need music... show gameplay! Music creation by itself just adds to the idea that you are simply putting on a play with this game.

I still want Minecraft with this sculpting tech [+ Oculus Rift support]. Imagine the worlds created with it...

By 2015, if you post that enough :p Sounds amazing though, like multiplayer maya/3dsmax, without the stress as well hopefully.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Hmm, if I didn't create in LBP, maybe I would have also been a bit unsure about their message, but with knowing what they did in their past games it was crystal clear...

But he actually talks about how they want to make creating easier, be it music, animation or game creation. He then runs a video showing you how all those assets can be put together in a game level 'just with the click of a button'. It ends with him showing how easy it is to animate the characters you want to create and use in games.

This sounds like Mario paint in 3d, with an animation and music creation studio.

Which is completely awesome for creative types. Have it support importing popular voal/music/etc files, and so on, and we could have something pretty interesting over all.

Laranja

Well, we haven't seen the game yet so it's a bit premature. They probably just wanted to share the ideas they have for their new PS4 project at the showing in February.

Yeah, I understand that. It still doesn't change the fact that I'm not at all excited about what they've been talking about or about what they've shown.

I loved the LittleBigPlanet games to death, but I didn't care much for the creative tools. They were pretty impressive, but I'm not really into that kind of stuff, so it's hard for me to get excited about tools when the Media Molecule guys aren't showing or talking about the game that is built around them. (Or are the tools built around the game? Who knows!?)

As a musician and someone who loves to create, this looks amazing. I understood what they were trying to do at the PS4 reveal and it looks very promising. Still don't understand why people are so confused as to what this is.

ASIS

As a musician and someone who loves to create, this looks amazing. I understood what they were trying to do at the PS4 reveal and it looks very promising. Still don't understand why people are so confused as to what this is.

Again, because it used motion control.

Some inside the box thinking happening in here. Remember in the sculpting segment of the presentation where they showed a full 3D world being made? Imagine infinite places like that to explore and a main campaign to play through. Tearaway is a hint I think as to where this is heading, a PS4 Media Molecule 3D platformer.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah, I understand that. It still doesn't change the fact that I'm not at all excited about what they've been talking about or about what they've shown.

I loved the LittleBigPlanet games to death, but I didn't care much for the creative tools. They were pretty impressive, but I'm not really into that kind of stuff, so it's hard for me to get excited about tools when the Media Molecule guys aren't showing or talking about the game that is built around them. (Or are the tools built around the game? Who knows!?)

Ok, now I'm at a loss. You say you loved LBP to death even though you didn't care much for the creation tools and yet you're not excited by this new game ... Why wouldn't you enjoy a next gen version of what you loved to death last gen?

'Or are the tools built around the game? Who knows?'

Did you ever go online with LBP and play the user created levels? This is just one element that went into creating what you played. You've played LBP! Why the hell are you still unsure of what this is?

LOL. Amazing.

Skyzard

Banned
Some inside the box thinking happening in here. Remember in the sculpting segment of the presentation where they showed a full 3D world being made? Imagine infinite places like that to explore and a main campaign to play through. Tearaway is a hint I think as to where this is heading, a PS4 Media Molecule 3D platformer.

If this is the case, I will take a loan get ps4 day 1. Customizable 3D worlds with their own physics? Seems too much.. Then again they blew me away with what people could do with their creation tools in LBP so, if anyone can...

Laranja

I love to create stuff, too, but not within a game's ecosystem.

Laranja

Ok, now I'm at a loss. You say you loved LBP to death even though you didn't care much for the creation tools and yet you're not excited by this new game ... Why wouldn't you enjoy a next gen version of what you loved to death last gen?

'Or are the tools built around the game? Who knows?'

Did you ever go online with LBP and play the user created levels? This is just one element that went into creating what you played. You've played LBP! Why the hell are you still unsure of what this is?

LOL. Amazing.

Did you read the OP?

- He is not all that clear if this project will be an open creation software tool or whether they will try to fit it into a specific game framework

I may be reading this wrong (sorry if that's the case), but it seems to me that they're creating tools, not games.

LittleBigPlanet was a game. I know because I played it. This might not even be a game. Am I in the wrong for wanting to play games rather than create content?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If this is the case, I will take a loan get ps4 day 1. Customizable 3D worlds with their own physics? Seems too much.. Then again they blew me away with what people could do with their creation tools in LBP so, if anyone can...

It IS the case. You'll create any type of game you want from FPS to sidescrolling platformer, but this time you'll be able to make it more professionally and share assets within the community more easily.

Skyzard

Banned
It IS the case. You'll create any type of game you want from FPS to sidescrolling platformer, but this time you'll be able to make it more professionally and share assets within the community more easily.

Fuck off...it's confirmed already?!

Say goodbye to Nintendo. This will be 'game' of the last few decades, free mario galaxy with next gen graphics etc :p

Top Bottom