• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule's Dreams for "other devices and beyond" still lives.

Holammer

In a 2019 gameindustry.biz article MM communicated:
"that the studio intends to allow creators to publish their games outside of the Sony ecosystem and “to other devices and beyond.” This was discussed on GAF at the time.

Now in a Kotaku interview the topic was brought up again.
“It’s complicated, and we have to do it in the right way, and we have to do it in a way that works with Sony because we’re a big organization,” she adds. “So, I think for ages we’ve been saying to the community, ‘We’re working on it,’ and we’re still at that point.”

So what you guys think? PC, Android and iOS versions? Getting a PC version of a Sony product was crazy talk back in the 2019. Now? Not so much.

I don't read Kotaku, found this tidbit via Nibel on Twitter.

Hatsuma

Since Sony is investing more into the game and engine, it would be awesome if a sub division of their indie relations headed by Shuhei, could be erected to provide grants for upcoming standout developers. The are already investigating curating and monetization opportunities for larger projects, would be an awesome idea. Could home grown from Dreams gamers to indie developers. And could be a nice side hustle for them.

Curation improvements as well more monetize options could not only boost its popularity, it could grant opportunities for creative that love the game. And ps5 enhancement update would be awesome for its future, especially for the VR support. Got VR 2 otw.

If they wanna be aggressive, I'd say make it available on Plus and let it build more traction, especially with curation and monetization improvements. They can attract a number of small independents to the platform

Holammer

Since Sony is investing more into the game and engine, it would be awesome if a sub division of their indie relations headed by Shuhei, could be erected to provide grants for upcoming standout developers. The are already investigating curating and monetization opportunities for larger projects, would be an awesome idea. Could home grown from Dreams gamers to indie developers. And could be a nice side hustle for them.

Curation improvements as well more monetize options could not only boost its popularity, it could grant opportunities for creative that love the game. And ps5 enhancement update would be awesome for its future, especially for the VR support. Got VR 2 otw.

If they wanna be aggressive, I'd say make it available on Plus and let it build more traction, especially with curation and monetization improvements. They can attract a number of small independents to the platform

In the previous 2019 GAF discussion I linked some clever folk noticed the similarity to Roblox. If Sony delay this further they're missing out on a huge potential market.
Yes, the 8-12yo little shits that play Roblox and Fortnite.

Hatsuma

In the previous 2019 GAF discussion I linked some clever folk noticed the similarity to Roblox. If Sony delay this further they're missing out on a huge potential market.
Exactly. There are so many benefits that could go that direction.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A wise decision to make it on PC or even multiplat. The more playerbase the more creations we get. It should've been on PC much earlier though, also a PS5 patch if needed.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

It should go F2P and the studio should release microtransactions as offering assets and models to use/modify with certain mechanics that are so much hard to lower experience creators to make but still doable for free.

Hatsuma

It should go F2P and the studio should release microtransactions as offering assets and models to use/modify with certain mechanics that are so much hard to lower experience creators to make but still doable for free.
Yea or Plus offering. The thing is making Playstation platform the center. Them looking into monetization and curation improvements will naturally make the platform more attractive to creative minds
and give them opportunities for side
hustles and expanding their development currency.

MrS

Banned
Make a hit for Sony before thinking about other platforms, yeah? Any other studio would have been shuttered by now for continually putting out bombas.

They needed to meme this game up and they failed miserably. How can this game not have spawned even one decent meme?

Has anyone even bothered to make Craig in Dreams?

ButchCat

A select group of ART schools and unis should buy the license to use it at their campuses. I think there's a market there.

OrionNebula

Not a doubt in my mind this is going to PC at some point. Was saying that even before launch. I feel it actually needs it in some way

ReBurn

Gold Member
Dreams deserves to live longer than one console generation. Sony should make this available on PC and allow bigger dreams.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If any Sony game should have taken the PC plunge first it's this game. The PC community is the one who cares the most about modding, community creations and sharing. And kb/m is way easier for these kinds of games.

Yet Dreams is walled off on a console. And the millionth zombie game like Days Gone is green lit for PC.

Go figure.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Agree with those saying this is made for PC.

Don't care about this, the real priority is selling your creations outside of Dreams or at the very least compiling it in Dreams to export and be a stand alone game.

One of the hold ups may be they are trying to work out a monetization system for creators.

LBP had a huge community, was stuck on a console. But they had the monetization already in place.

Unknown?

Looks like Sony is expanding Media Molecule AND they are working on publishing created content outside of the game, woot!! Guess I should have read the whole interview.

"the studio intends to allow creators to publish their games outside of the Sony ecosystem and “to other devices and beyond.”

"Siobhan Reddy (Media Molecule's Studio Director): 'Sony is investing in the studio to grow'"

Last edited:

Hatsuma

Agree with those saying this is made for PC.

One of the hold ups may be they are trying to work out a monetization system for creators.

LBP had a huge community, was stuck on a console. But they had the monetization already in place.
That is the strongest incentive to attract creatives to Dreams. This is no matter the platform they come from: the ability to monetize their craft. Monetization, if drastically improved as well as curation, will be an immense driver for hardware adoption, no matter how stubborn not to own it. Not saying it will or won't be on PC (Since they were talking about exporting projects, which they call "Dreams" for monetization. Not Dreams itself).

I'm very interested in the fate of this game after curation and monetization improvements.

Winter John

Gold Member
Never got past the tutorial. It was confusing as shit and the controls were a real pain in the ass. It left a bad first impression and killed any interest I had.

Hatsuma

Looks like Sony is expanding Media Molecule AND they are working on publishing created content outside of the game, woot!! Guess I should have read the whole interview.

"the studio intends to allow creators to publish their games outside of the Sony ecosystem and “to other devices and beyond.”

"Siobhan Reddy (Media Molecule's Studio Director): 'Sony is investing in the studio to grow'"
^ This. And man, for this game not being a sales driver, it is interesting Sony is devoting so much resources and expansion to MM. I'm excited in their next project.

Another studio that would exploit the machinations of the Dual Sense. I'd love another Tear Away. Styled project

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Make a hit for Sony before thinking about other platforms, yeah? Any other studio would have been shuttered by now for continually putting out bombas
The Idea is that this becomes a hit after its released on other platforms. It's like keeping minecraft on one platform right now.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Dreams should be free for PSPlus members, i dont know why they dont do that, its not like the game is selling well anyway

I'm nobody

Dreams should be free for PSPlus members, i dont know why they dont do that, its not like the game is selling well anyway
Game is doing quiet well tbh 1 million people played the story mode
Mm has a £70 million pound not dollors company now so a small game like this is doing very well
And I agree pc needs a game like this and Xbox

vkbest

A wise decision to make it on PC or even multiplat. The more playerbase the more creations we get. It should've been on PC much earlier though, also a PS5 patch if needed.

Making a port, where the most creations couldn't run on PS4 would be the dumbest move for Sony.

People want on PC but using their PC at full capabilities, that would mean much creations wouldnt run on PS4 and probably on PS5 BC, because memory, and power constraints.

Horizon or Death Stranding running much better on older PC than PS5 is already a dumb move for Sony, you can watch the comments when guerrilla post something on Twitter the spam about they treating better PC port than PS5, but or they limit PC creations to PS4 max potential or this will move more people from Playstation to PC.

And limiting the game at PS4, PC players would be angry. So only could see this if they separate creations, but then this game would be dead on Playstation, because the most creations would be created on PC because mouse support.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Making a port, where the most creations couldn't run on PS4 would be the dumbest move for Sony.

People want on PC but using their PC at full capabilities, that would mean much creations wouldnt run on PS4 and probably on PS5 BC, because memory, and power constraints.

Horizon or Death Stranding running much better on older PC than PS5 is already a dumb move for Sony, you can watch the comments when guerrilla post something on Twitter the spam about they treating better PC port than PS5, but or they limit PC creations to PS4 max potential or this will move more people from Playstation to PC.

And limiting the game at PS4, PC players would be angry. So only could see this if they separate creations, but then this game would be dead on Playstation, because the most creations would be created on PC because mouse support.
hmm true, unless Sony wants to make dreams a PC focused platform, doubt thats gonna happen, due to the superior performance of PC, i could forsee most dreams craetion will not work or struggle even for PS5.

Hatsuma

Dreams would get nothing from being downgraded to mobile devices, but would make a lot of sense on pc.

can't wait too to see if it gets any real upgrade on PS5.
No worries. When they are referring to "Dreams" being exported and monetized, they are talking about the creators' Dreams or projects. I've seen them make games that could be very fitting for mobile. Even 8 bit or 16 bit games.

Hatsuma

Lol, the power constraints would be an issue regardless because PC is too open and variable. Most players wouldn't even have a PC that strong to max out creations that would struggle on ps5. That's the benefit of such a project on uniform platforms.

But you bring to attention an excellent reason why they weren't referring to the actual Dreams game, but rather creators' "Dreams" or projects that can be exported onto other platforms for creator monetization. That includes phones more than likely. And they could add MnK support. They did it for CoD.

But many are forgetting the core of Dreams. It is to make an effective, accessible, and creative game creation tool on console. Them allowing for greater monetization on creations would make the game more attractive in general because the opportunity for the creator to make money on their projects. Curation for original ideas already immensely helps this as well.

It's going to niche regardless, because of what the game is in general. Porting to PC won't suddenly fix that, because it's not like the player base are all creatives and modders. They just use mods or creations provided to by those who are PC creatives and modders. I'm under the impression it would perform commercially poorly there as well. But if Sony hung it out with this project for so long despite MM not really putting out commercial hits, then they likely expected this. They're even expanding the team.

As for Death Stranding and Horizon PC port, i agree entirely. it was certainly dumb for them to not have a ps5 patch for either before porting, especially for optics. Going by rumors from Navtra, which could be why, the PS5 is getting a bit more than a patch. And it could play out like Intergra. If you actually bought the ps4 version, it's free upgrade for ps5. Death Stranding could have a similar upgrade program in addition. As for Horizon, after seeing a random Ratchet patch come out for ps5 owners just in time for Play At Home, that may be Guerrilla's path. But I hope it's a full fledged upgrade that takes advantage of Dual Sense and such.

yurinka

I think it's likely that somewhere in the future (let's give PS4 maybe a couple of years of exclusivity) Dreams will get a PC port with crossplay and I think it will be something that will highly benefit the game. I think to see a mobile version is almost impossible due to hardware fragmentation and horsepower constraints, but maybe after the PC version we may see some player for Dreams small games designed to be played on touchscreens.

Last edited:

vkbest

Lol, the power constraints would be an issue regardless because PC is too open and variable. Most players wouldn't even have a PC that strong to max out creations that would struggle on ps5. That's the benefit of such a project on uniform platforms.

The game is running on BC on PS5, that means 5.5 GB at max of memory. After the most people with this game have a PS4, and the most PC are several more powerful than PS4 and have more memory

Hatsuma

I didn't disagree with that. I was talking about projects for ps5. Im pretty sure there likely would be projects that exceeded ps5 capabilities if the game was ported to PC. But the people with rigs exceeding ps5 are more in the minority. I was thinking about that because variability in hardware performance would likely be an issue.

Consoles are perfect for what they wanted to accomplish for Dreams, because the hardware is constant. The software produced from Dreams is either ps4 level or below. Which is perfect for beginner creators.

That's why I thought people many people misread the quote. Being able to export their "Dreams " to other devices is like saying being able to export your projects to other devices to be monetized.

The whole intent of Dreams is to foster independent creators/developers and make doing it accessible, easy, and fun. As we saw from the Future of Games Show, most indie developers aren't making graphically or CPU intensive games. That is the likes Dreams is truly targeted for. And I wouldn't be surprised if at one point or another, they release an upgrade patch that increases the range of RAM utilization by scale of project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom