• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MediEvil story trailer - State Of Play Trailer

I'm very excited for this game.

The MediEvil remake will launch both physically and digitally for PlayStation 4 on October 25, publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment and developer Other Ocean announced.

Here are the latest details, via Sony Interactive Entertainment producer Nick Accordino:
Whether you’re avoiding the boulder-spitting gargoyles of the Hilltop Mausoleum, outrunning the menacing famers of the Scarecrow Fields, or fending off giant worker ants in the Ant Caves, Sir Dan’s certainly got his work cut out for him.

But fear not! Although the journey will bring you face to face with hordes of unspeakable enemies, a whole host of heroes will be there to help guide you on your way and provide Sir Dan with an ever-expanding repertoire of weapons and shields to aid him in his quest. Everything from enchanted swords to gigantic hammers, crossbows, throwing knives and axes are at your disposal, but you’ll need to use them wisely, lest you lose your head. (Again.)

And make no bones about it, even if you’re familiar with Dan’s first outing, everything you remember (and a lot that you don’t!) is back in ways that will make your head spin. In addition to a complete graphical overhaul, an improved camera system, and a brand-new narrator (brought to life by veteran voice actress Lani Minella) we’re adding a whole casket full of secrets to this PlayStation classic that we can’t wait for you to dig up.

We’ll scare up some more details for you leading up to launch, but in the meantime, feel free to crawl on over to PlayStation Store and preorder the game!

Info was the work of Mista Mista

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ouch, yeah erm... I really enjoyed the original and even the update on PSP, but this looks janky as fuck, like a mod team made the ingame parts almost. Like with crash and definitely spyro, they were huge, much better. Spyro in particular was incredible. But this just looks... dull?

FranXico

Ouch, yeah erm... I really enjoyed the original and even the update on PSP, but this looks janky as fuck, like a mod team made the ingame parts almost. Like with crash and definitely spyro, they were huge, much better. Spyro in particular was incredible. But this just looks... dull?
The framerate is really making matters worse. They couldn't even hide the choppiness when they captured for the trailer.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Frame rates can be optimised, smoothed out, even in this short a time span.

But the general gameplay is too simple and old school, and the way the game looks... that can’t really be fixed in that time.

But hey, maybe it will still be fun. Like I said, I enjoyed the original :)

KiteGr

I don't like the look of Zarok and the Glass Demon. In the PS1 version they where much more intimidating...

Airbus Jr

Banned
i like it

never had the chance to play the original so thanks for bringing this game to ps4

Last edited:

OrionNebula

This was one of my go-to games during the PS1 era when I wanted a quickie to play (plus I LOVE that OST)

Hope it’s as good and fun as the original was

juliotendo

Looks great. Sony really needs to keep looking back at their long catalog of past games and push updated versions of their classics.

Saber

Gold Member
Fps worries me.

Other than that, it looks pretty decent. Quite happy to see this game again, hope it ends well. I will totally pick this up.

KiteGr

Medievil was IMO a lightning that failed to strike twice.

For those who don't know
For ones, there was a Sequel on the PS1 taking place on Victorian London.
It didn't sold well because it came near the end of the PS1's lifecircle and it had... problems. Despite that, it got a Bafta.
MEDIEVIL_2%20.JPG

Then there was that remake/re-imagining on the PSP. That game's biggest achievement was re-recording fantastically the soundtrack and "it being ready in a pretty short deadline", but other than that the game failed to capture the magic of the original.
MediEvil_Resurrection.jpg

For more info on how the sequel was lacking and the remake was bad, I'll just quote my self from that other thread.
Med2 was mediocre. For everything it fixed, it created a new problem.
  • Health pools fill you Faster, but now they don't respawn.
  • The in-game cutscenes where much better, but there were much fewer FMVs
  • The zombies had more polygons, but now there was only one skin for them.
  • The stages where bigger, but also much fewer.
  • The chalices didn't give you crap like health and coins, but there where no hall of heroes.
  • It took place in Victorian London, but lacked the Victorian atmosphere. (On second thought, the main problem was that it the levels lacked identity and color.)
  • Dan had a few partners in crime, that didn't do anything but dump exposition and require saving.
  • The settings borrowed from a lot of spooky Victorian Literature, but the story was allover the place (especially after the boxing match)
  • The game was harder, and the enemies much more annoying.
  • Each level had it's own music, but half of the music was mediocre at best. (I retract that statement. I just didn't play it as much as the 1rst)
  • Dan had a love interest, that he barely spend a scene with that dumb damnsel.
  • The game had two endings, but getting all chalices gives you the bad ending. (people intentionally skip chalices here)
  • Spoiler: You where supposed to fight a godzila sized queen of England as a final boss, but it got changed mid development to fight a generic demon.
  • There was more geometry and verticality to the levels, but there was also annoying and unpredictable fall damage.
  • Dan could speak....

Med Rez on the PSP was a mess!
  • It went for comedy rather than the balance of the first.
  • The new voice acting was more cartoony, annoying and generally worse than the original.
  • The game now worked like a 3rd person shooter... with melee weapons!... WTF!
  • The camera where rarely fixed to highlight special rooms.
  • Everyone was ugly as fuck.
  • It was full of annoying tutorials.
  • The best stages where missing.
  • Spoiler: Zarok turns into a Jafar snake at the end (oh, NOW you decided to cut the comedy!...)
For all their flaws, this sequel and remake had AMAZING soundtracks. (especially the Remake, but it got lost in the Tiny PSP speakers)

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I only played the demo of the original game so am interested in trying this.
The framerate really was distracting though so hopefully they fix that. Gameplay does look really basic as well but basic isn't always necessarily bad.

Ar¢tos

30$ is kinda OK... But if the game releases with Framerate issues and the general clunkiness of this trailer, I'll wait for the January sales (and hopefully the issues will be patched by then).

Shifty1897

I can't believe that trailer made it past marketing. The frame rate was rough for what seemed to me was a graphically unimpressive game. The gameplay looked clunky and rough. The good news is they have a couple months to hopefully clean things up.

KiteGr

This looks super disappointing.
I'm trying to stay optimistic, but seeing how cartoony they made Zarok, I'm beginning to feel we'll have another "Medievil Resurrection" in our hands.
Lets hope they'll have the brains to fix some of the actual problems the original had, like adding weapon swapping, make the camera control better and allow you to refill your lighting.

a game i was always interested in, but never got around to it. the gameplay feels like a ps1 game, but im have hopes it aged well. im guessing a solid 7/8 for it reviews. 40$ price tag.

releasing around halloween will surely get alot of people to buy based off the aesthetic along

Hissing Sid

Played this back in the day. Never seemed like a classic to me, more an afternoon filler type game. I remember enjoying it but don’t recall it being terribly enthralling in the gameplay department. Don’t think I’ll be re-dipping.

VulcanRaven

Looks great. I will definitely buy this at some point. I'm not sure about the art style. This doesn't look how I imagined the game with current graphics. Zarok looks much better in the cutscenes of the original:

Here is the cover:
MediEvil_2019_05-09-19_006_600.jpg

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gotta say the framerate in the gameplay bits is worrying, especially since it was probably captured on a Pro. I'll wait for the Digital Foundry videobefore making a decision.

I'm glad about the price, seems reasonable for a remake of a single game.

KiteGr

Looks great. I will definitely buy this at some point. I'm not sure about the art style. This doesn't look how I imagined the game with current graphics. Zarok looks much better in the cutscenes of the original:

Here is the cover:
MediEvil_2019_05-09-19_006_600.jpg

Yeah... He looked slow moving, methodical and intimidating, while here he looks like a Saturday morning cartoon villain.
They feel the need to ad more movement to showcase their animations, completely changing the atmosphere, the one thing people feel nostalgic about this game.

The original Medievil despite the humor, was an unapologetically creepy game.
It looks like these new devs never watched the Nightmare before Christmas. That film was the whole reason they instructed their composer to make a soundtrack that Elfman would wright.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
The original Medievil despite the humor, was an unapologetically creepy game.
It looks like these new devs never watched the Nightmare before Christmas. That film was the whole reason they instructed their composer to make a soundtrack that Elfman would wright.

This has gone from my only and most anticipated Sony exclusive to I have no idea how to feel about it anymore, I remember as a child this game actually feeling scary at times. This like you said looks like its traveled the softer humor route a bit to far.

I'm a little more worried about how this trailer got greenlit with how poorly it was playing.

CyberPanda

Banned
This has gone from my only and most anticipated Sony exclusive to I have no idea how to feel about it anymore, I remember as a child this game actually feeling scary at times. This like you said looks like its traveled the softer humor route a bit to far.

I'm a little more worried about how this trailer got greenlit with how poorly it was playing.
It kind of reminds me of Sleepy Hollow.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Honestly if this was a ordinary game, i will waiting to 19.00$ or less, but seems that developers put their heart and efforts so i will pick in day one to support them.

VulcanRaven

So the release is on the same day with COD: Modern Warfare and two weeks before Death Stranding. I have a feeling that this won't sell well because of those. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom